Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why is there human life on earth?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LOLTrump
Msg: 299
Why is there human life on earth?Page 13 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

Omnipotent beings do not relegate themselves to weight restrictions, ...that is a ridiculous human idea of power,

Can you give an example of such?

...Omnibenevolent and omnipotent and omniscient omnipresent, does not see own creation of disease as malevolent, evil is a human construct, we see bad things happen but god does not see it as evil all is good to god, therefore the benevolence.

If some god thing made humans and this thing was omniscient, but it was unable able to understand what evil is because it was a construct of humans, then it is not all knowing is it.

Also, if you read the story on the bible in genesis you would see that the talking snake said this when speaking to Eve about eating the apple: "be like God, knowing good and evil"
 teekata
Msg: 300
Why is there human life on earth?
Posted: 8/25/2017 1:34:22 PM
"Can you give an example of such?"

Sure ...God is the best example.

"If some god thing made humans and this thing was omniscient, but it was unable able to understand what evil is because it was a construct of humans, then it is not all knowing is it."

You simply don't get it. We might see evil where God sees the wonders of creation. What happens after death may male what happens on earth completely irrelevant. We just know nothing.
 Inicia
Msg: 301
Posted: 8/25/2017 1:41:59 PM
god does not label it as good and evil again a non-corrupt conscience. we do know good and evil, many utilize the terms often. i do not respect or consider anything as evil- yes- horrible tragic, awful, hideous many other emotional descriptives- sick- deviant etc: but i just fail to see anything as evil. it is a concept i cannot get on board with.

If some god thing made humans and this thing was omniscient, but it was unable able to understand what evil is because it was a construct of humans, then it is not all knowing is it.
did i claim the god thing did not understand what we consider evil- no in benevolence(seeing all as good) also understands reasons, we humans are vastly incapable of understanding or alleviating the things we categorize as evil- just throw our hands up and say cesera cesara.. Just the concept of evil is that which humans are overwhelmed by- evil- because intrinsically we consider evil non-human, so we are not responsible for effecting change.

Yes humans- have a boxing- fight- models etc we base the classes of such on weight- humans classifications- you think power is just relegated to lifting a weight??? Physical power is extremely limited, speed of light??? as a power already achieved however not by us? by light> so is light less powerful or more powerful-it rarely damages us?so does it have an real power but to assist so therefore impotent.? So if i cannot lift something i made my power is impotent or decreased in some way- we have a really weird dynamic surrounding the idea of power? As the the pyramids structure we cannot comprehend being made but, it was a concept and the power of civilization and brain function to construct from what we have- not about a frickin weight lifting concept. can you weigh brain functions with any accuracy- we may have what we consider weighty thoughts but?? can you then lift those thoughts? yes of course to higher grounds??our image similar is not to do with our physical nature in anyway shape or form- then to create concepts of wisdom-power-presence-kindness to our human opinions and ideas and experiences- kind of misses the whole point of a wise guide. in my humble opinion. Potent different values than power- just is what it is. Potency word dynamics relate to procreation, regeneration, fertilization, creativity etc.
 aremeself
Msg: 302
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2017 9:00:05 PM
So yeah,,,,

Many on here say they are non religious.
Well, hey, that's fine!
Go for it!!!!!

So,

Now explain that, without repeating others hopeful thoughts.
You know, like,
Stuff that you read that people come up with.

Stuff that supports the idea ( cause that's all it is) that all things organized just appeared,
Including life.

Because real science doesn't have a common sense explanation yet.

But,

Peeps on here do.
 Inicia
Msg: 303
Posted: 9/1/2017 6:59:24 AM
for myself, I only support the standard [bold] three Omni [/bold]characteristics of a "god Thingy" lol... I certainly understand the "why?" behind the christan desire to adopt omni-benevolent for personal comfort and [bold]faith[/bold]- that which is not supported with fact/evidence.

My understanding of
special creation
purported in Judaic{torah-kabbala} theology and text -as well as old testament{genisis}, these are perfectly in-sync with scientific historical uncovered facts. Furthermore many other religious traditions also support the historic scientific advancements and understandings,: ancient egypt actually explains the human understanding of the serpent- as deceiver of mankind- here upon the Abrahamic mythology of "a devil/beast" entered religious connotation.

Yet, it was astronomical- scientific understanding, as well as the rise of agricultural understanding- less dependency upon the cool night and darkness for survival- as it provided freedom from oppressive heat- the climate changes of said time-light vs dark-switched places of respect- ...- Horus the sun god rose as a replacement of the serpent god. Such replacement is also correlated to matriarchy being replaced with patriarchy! The mythological serpent was an accepted special servant of women as a conduit to the heavens, patriarchy places enmity between serpent and women..Archeology, Astronomy, geology, history, science, all correlate with human understanding of nature/science accurately depicted in the mythology-religious traditions and rituals etc.

spiritual beliefs and faith are not at war with science, open minds reach for understanding in both realms. Dogmatic support for one idea vs/other ideas limits contributions to any real understanding of human condition...? Discernment is the key!

I chose to study both sociology and psychology. These are diametrically opposing beliefs- as one overarching theory individual experience as valid- as other overarching theory social interactions are valid and present as groups in society. I socialized with academic members of both- and mathematicians-biologist- engineers etc -often a debate would arise, between two or more factions, about said understandings of each. Often a theme of academic gatherings "debate and discourse" around values of said contributions. Valid, logical support offered from all- i discounted no contributions-yet incorporated contributions to my general knowledge.

Discourse challenged my own preconceived notions- such as are we "actually divergent" from animals? Are all humans capable of murder? And serial killers? what is the tipping point between "deviance" and "norm" and are these even separate conditions? Pain?? Perception? Truth/Fact? Is nature Vs nurture even valid?... and other basic beliefs.
 poppata
Msg: 304
Posted: 9/1/2017 9:09:09 AM

The standard model of special creation claims that the 'universe and all life in it originated in its present form by unconditional fiat or divine decree'

That's as good an explanation for the "Big Bang" as anything else.
 Inicia
Msg: 305
Posted: 9/1/2017 9:23:01 AM

Special creation
is Andyaa's concept not mine. Andyaa would have the errant perception of facts related to such not I.
my perception of the facts- big-bang-evolution, dna, factual exsistence of dinasaurs, primordial soup etc! are in sync with as i stated religious text, that you fail to see a connection or correlation is not for me to clarify. i am not prosecuting any one...
Definition Divergent:
tending to be different or develop in different directions.
so no opposition of humans as animals... in that species we belong to primate bipedal mammalians
Maybe you might want to actually understand adjectives before condescension.

yes I find the profundity you do as well- however no desire to take such profundity and patronizingly dismiss contributions of understanding such profundity... clearly esau and jacob examine physical divergent description- hairless apes discussed

the surprise is in "challenging own beliefs" which you have shown your resistance to such- again i allow you your place...do not desire to challenge such..
 poppata
Msg: 306
Posted: 9/1/2017 9:24:10 AM
^^^ Lets put it this way. I'm a regular reader of Scientific American for years and I read Hawkings Grand Design in which he opines (that means gives his OPINION) that the Universe was created spontaneously from particles flitting in and out of existence.

From your post, I detect through your arrogance you think that only you have the answers... the fact is you are as clueless as everyone else. You can't explain the Universe any more than anyone else. Sorry.
 Inicia
Msg: 307
Posted: 9/1/2017 9:30:57 AM
WTH??? "poof" as eternal...wow...and i have realization issues...
Andyaa The link will connect you with a previous philosophy discussion on eternity-For Edification purposes https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16642510.aspx
 poppata
Msg: 308
Posted: 9/1/2017 9:49:52 AM
^^right.. except I was not talking about what came after the singularity, but what caused the singularity or "big bang". And you just admitted it is all speculation.... collision of other universes.... collision of membranes...or the work of a Divine Being. Do you know for sure? Of course you don't.

Beyond that, you appear to have a basic knowledge of physics and math... that's good. You have yet to evidence that you have anywhere near the ability to understand the math anywhere near the level of the top Theoretical Physicists of the World. For example, I've read Max Tegmark's works on Parallel Universes, and I will readily concede I do not understand the Math involved...but I am willing to bet 99-1 you don't either. Repeating something about live and dead cats at the same time in the quantum state does not make you an expert, simply a guy who read a textbook and is able to regurgitate what it says. Deep understanding of those concepts requires deep intelligence...very few have that ability. Sorry.
 Inicia
Msg: 309
Posted: 9/1/2017 10:29:37 AM

Being able to read scientific American isn't the same as being able to understand scientific American.

ditto to reading and understanding topic discussion post, and effectively progressing topic discourse.. read and understand all- even in speed reading courses -you must understand what is presented- without missing important contributions of the written text. your obtrusiveness is obvious.
 poppata
Msg: 310
Posted: 9/1/2017 12:56:16 PM

ditto to reading and understanding topic discussion post, and effectively progressing topic discourse.. read and understand all- even in speed reading courses -you must understand what is presented- without missing important contributions of the written text. your obtrusiveness is obvious.

Scientific American is a wonderful magazine and many of the authors attempt to explain things in terms of the layman, but the fact is some of these subjects are very complex and require a post PH.D. in Theoretical Physics or Math to really get it. I doubt there is any poster on POF who has those credentials... although there was a guy a few years back who claimed to have been a Theoretical Physicist, and he did know some stuff.
 Inicia
Msg: 311
Posted: 9/2/2017 6:31:58 AM
Popatta-Yes, Scientific America, contains science beyond my comprehension: When reading science journals, i sometimes will search to find explanations and examples of math-science etc- theories-rules- laws beyond my understanding- sometimes edification other times well-take what you can! lol. I tend to enjoy reading sociology, psychology, language, mythology/religion, research; as my grasp, of such, a bit more developed. Philosophy can create a bit of a struggle, for me, Often philosophers must connect many ideas and well developed ideas, it tends to be a much slower process, for me.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44272/the-road-not-taken
Andyaa I am so appreciative of your comment! Oh Thank you for sharing your brilliance, how can you even begin to exist amongst so many idiots?
Please reread the definition of divergent!!! I posted it to you- my original question to self that i shared, was not are we different from animals-- i utilized the term divergent for specific reasons...

Or as you redefine it..."are we "actually different" from animals?"

actually divergent" AS animals?...Or even...are we "actually divergent" from PRIMATES?

Those were not my questions "to self" as i stated earlier- challenging my own beliefs-??
Beliefs are often unreasonable!- again "out of the box"

Reasonable( ???)s fail to meet requirements needed -as "a challenge to personal beliefs". Challenging one's own beliefs must include and contain the "unreasonable" belief as the "hypothetical questions."

My belief was not conceptualized from the standing: 1.)that humans were not a species/class/category etc. of animals. 2.)that we are superior in some way shape or form- Because quite simply we are animals! You revealed no surprise to me! Not sarcasm. I love good irony or sarcasm..Especially when it makes me think.

so no opposition of humans as animals...
not a change -was not quoting self, I was attempting to explain my own understanding to your obtrusiveness. Hoping you would attempt to understand a different POV! Are you capable? Sometimes geniuses have such difficulty with average, everyday blokes like me..

My challenge to self was indeed "do we diverge from animals-[as a present condition, or at some point]?" this while not necessarily reasonable is perfectly logical. I am content with the knowledge and understanding I garnered!
 Inicia
Msg: 312
Posted: 9/2/2017 10:12:39 AM
Amongst Andyaa--
just skip develop in different directions. Synonyms mean similar not equal. you a forum poster on POF are similar to me but not equal to me or the same.. you and i are not equal but equivalent
many is not majority- there are many in both majorities and minorities. idiots was the many, in which you are amongst- with that many----lol--- sorry you were too obtuse to see humor or just lack understanding of sarcasm?
ANDYAA THIS question you are chewing on like an unsatisfied dog trying to get to the peanut butter- was my reasonable question of personal beliefs, not for you to validate my beliefs in their reasonable nature...it was not posed to self as a fact- but instead a truth, and you have no idea the personal "truth" I arrived at from the quest- i posed for myself. . Pose your own personal challenges and stop attempting to devalue mine. What is your agenda in beating this topic to death. The topic of discussion is Why is there human life on earth? do you believe by posing such obtrusive responses to my opinion and views it will help further the topic at hand? And in what direction do you wish to force your opinions? what clarity on causal human existence are you offering? WE are not discussing how humans developed- but the philosophical why??? There is the philosophy topic of evolutionary trajectory already, so pose that there.
I could care less that being from animals is a condition of human existence, not even discussing that perception or believe there is any opposition to that... really??? which i have clarified s/ad-nausea!!
 poppata
Msg: 313
Posted: 9/2/2017 10:18:24 AM
Yep Andyaa , you are definitely an engineering type, unable to see the trees through the forest. If you cannot get from 1 to 2 to 3, you get totally lost. Making so much of so little. You going to write a book about the meaning of divergence?

The religious do mot disagree with evolution..in their eyes the universe was created in the singularity...all of the matter and energy that ever will exist in this universe was created at that time. Did man simply evolve though through billions of years of evolution, or was he given a boost in his design by a "creator"? Isn't that the real issue?
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 314
Posted: 9/2/2017 1:15:28 PM
Re Animals

I recommend watching this entire video but regarding animals , if you're in a hurry, skip to the 52 minute mark of this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJCvHehDnM8&t=2010s
 aremeself
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2017 9:45:21 PM
So yeah andyaa, you think evo took place because it only makes sense to you.
That means nothing without proof.

Oh, and organization came about with no guidance whatsoever.

A person would have to be really gullible to believe that with out proof.
 Coma_White
Msg: 316
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2017 1:38:58 AM
There's no way for humans to evolve at this point without combining technology and genetic manipulation into our evolution. Natural selection has ceased for our species, so we either plateau or we enhance ourselves. I don't think that truly makes us different from other species though because at the core we're still cousins to chimps with less body hair.
 gingerosity
Msg: 317
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2017 3:37:59 AM
The intelligent non-human lifeforms in this part of the galaxy will once have been human.

There is human life on earth so that non-human life can eventually not be on earth.
 DDSearle
Msg: 318
Posted: 9/3/2017 6:20:15 AM
Oh yes. And I'm composing a work of fiction in which the aliens are as thick as two short planks, overemotional and hardly able to use a TV remote control. In other words, aren't too many of us presuming that they are superior? Now it's up to them to appear here and prove me wrong. But they won't, will they? Another dark matter!
 justinelle
Msg: 319
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2017 7:52:40 AM
Why not human life, and one assumes the author means, as in what humanity has become today, and not the evolutionary processes the human animal took in order to survive on a hostile world and become top predator.

For a start there nearly was no human life on this earth, as genome quest demonstrated. We all appear to have evolved from a very small gene pool, so one could say we are the only incestuous species to have ever evolved naturally.

As for the religious brigade and their detractors and worshipers. Religion is relatively new cultural practice, and appears from the evidence to be nurtured from the inception of sedentary life, and our abandonment of a few million years of hunting/ scavenging, and gathering. Let us not forget this almost helpless human creature was once easy prey for hungry carnivores.

As for why the question was asked. It might be more a contemporary question, a modern take on the biggest polluter, the cruellest animal to evolve. We are the mass exterminator of species, and the biggest thereat to most life on earth, since the meteor stirred things up a bit, 65 million years ago.

So we should have become extinct around 80,000ish years ago and now appear to have chosen this destiny through default, possibly due to a mass perverted form of narcissism.
 Inicia
Msg: 320
Posted: 9/3/2017 9:53:08 AM
Wisdom?animals????Curious???

We do deign to apply intelligence to animals, and "domestication" lol research has provided much understanding of human capabilities, possibilities, control/treatment mechanisms for physical, biological, mental deviance, sustinence(food-fertilization-clothing-protection/guarding homes flocks etc.)-entertainment, assistance and therapy, extermination of pests, law enforcement. In addition, studying different species of non-human animals provided standard ideology of accepted norms, even those normal deviations arriving from certain situations.. However, i really do not agree that certain hunting and fishing has any qualities of domestication, we do prey upon certain non-human animals.
additionally, many animals of the human species do prey upon other human animals-often deemed to be lessor predators by the human predator. Financially, physically legally- etc...

Yes, we are amongst the animal kingdom... No special attributes contained albeit, we did develop in a different trajectory. Not intended as irony or sarcasm...
 Inicia
Msg: 321
Posted: 9/3/2017 1:45:37 PM
post 329

That's debatable. We domesticated animals rather than hunt them, prior to this were mostly opportunist hunters and scavengers.

dogs have become very successful whereas the Wolf is near extinction.

no more need be said about humans ability to domesticate or what they consider domestication to be...or its effective contribution to animal kingdom- or predator vs domesticator... nothing moot point...

^ claim of wolf PROBABLY NOT ANCESTOR OF DOG
a bit of research possibly needed to maintain consistency of many of your posits of evolutionary understandings...The Truth About Dogs - 99.07 (Part Two) - The Atlantic
https://www.theatlantic.com/issues/99jul/9907dogs2.htm
[...]The evolutionary chronometer is a measure of ancient origins -- it cannot pick up divergence into separate breeding lines that has occurred in the past few hundred years.
 aremeself
Msg: 322
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2017 9:07:02 PM
Oh boy,

Researchers,

If a person believed all reserchers....,...........................

That's where thinking for yourself comes in, but we hardly even know what that means.
We are taught to accept everything from the, ahem, 'professionals', whose opinion changes willy nilly, with research, of course!

Oh, and don't forget about wishful thinking, preconceived notions and ideas, industry admired conclusions, yada yada, yada.......

And , tomorrow, another conclusion.

Yeah, another non existent common decedent..............

Ah, the stories we have to endure.......
 Inicia
Msg: 323
Posted: 9/5/2017 12:09:33 PM
i guess we can determine the purpose of human life on earth's is to and only to find divergent ideas then debate.. so we are accomplishing our purpose.. woo hoo..
yet i imagine those, who are dying of starvation, disease, political genocide and terror, or lack of medical care, find little comfort in our elitist form of entertainment. Like academic debates and discourse...self discovery provided, yet if not applied to ones existence and enhancement of civilization- education was just that an elitist endeavor. Yes humans exist- in a current timeframe- the why ?? a discourse and debate centered on aiding the human race and preservation of all life and improving quality of life, what good does knowing ultimate origins and ultimate ends provide- the means are valuable, and the means, are in nature, inclusive rather than exclusionary...Death is a natural function to life- anything in that existence or contributions of existence are personal drives and desires- we are asking humans{duh} for a reason of humans?? the question defies the principles of rationality, unbiased observation, and quite frankly logic!! are there an existence of an us and them for all humans.. Us humans to not humans Them???? who are these humans, that do not belong to the "us" of human race??? I had not realized AI was so advanced, maybe need to ask AI reason for human existence...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why is there human life on earth?