Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Brexit? A coup de grace?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 spectravision
Msg: 776
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?Page 32 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)

Looks like we are in for another year

Seriously, I'm not surprised. They really do seem to be pushing it to the extent nobody cares anymore.
 UKBunny
Msg: 777
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/5/2019 5:58:23 AM
nobody cares anymore.

nothing to add really, bored stiff & annoyed with the lot of them...........

spectravision
Msg: 778
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/5/2019 6:27:21 AM
Done with voting me Bunny. Voted since I could, but no more.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 779
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/9/2019 5:46:28 AM
Look like Theresa has gone to Brussels to ask for a teeny extension but actually hoping they will do the dirty work for her and give her a big one instead. Why so? Well, there doesn't seem to be any chance of an agreement in Parliament this week or next to why should there be one in the mext month or two. So why doesn't she ask for a bigger one? Well, that would upset as few people in her party and she is desperate to keep the Tories together come what may to the country.
 Theydidnotfixit
Msg: 780
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/9/2019 8:36:03 PM
The European project is a fecking utopian nightmare. They need our balance sheet. The entire three year "deal" -negotiation is a barely concealed ruse to keep us in. The europhilles or remaininers are walking the referendum result back. German interests have dominated, and will, with a much weaker currency for Germany's export model than the Deutschemark. 

What was good for the United kingdom, was less Europe. When we joined the pre single currency, exchange rate mechanism in 1990 (ERM) we were assured how wonderful it all was as it doubled the recession and got dubbed the eternal recession mechanism.

I don't want to patronize the 75% of our noble politicians who want a "deal" or wish to stay in the prison camp with a basic lesson in economics but someone does have to intrude

Darlings, or really traitors, it's all about productivity. If you don't want to produce,  you are relying on others to produce for you or your lovely creditors or sweet charity. Now is  that simple enough for your pea sized brains. 

U. K. productivity growth has fallen from about 3.5% in 1973 to a minus figure today. Can you guess what we've been doing during those forty odd years ? That's right we've been reading the guardian. 

It's all about sovereignty or our democracy but the economics are lousy too.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 781
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/10/2019 1:44:47 AM
Did we ever have sovereignty though?

Trade deals, free trade, means free mvement of capital and labour the last of which many people in the country and I suspect most who voted out, do not want.

Our rules are made elsewhere by international agreement and we don't always agree.

We have various conventions regarding human rights which were brought in after WW2 to protect displaced persons and try to ensure that the genocide we witnessed wouldn't happen again. (Genev and Hague conventions for a start).

The freedom of the skies was written during WW2 starting with the Chicago convention. That gave the right to any signatory country to fly its aeroplanes into, out of and over and other signatories country. That's how the airline industry started in the 50s.

Our cars are built to international standards. We could start building them to our own lwer standards but who would want them?

The reality is that we are in an interconnected world.

Which bit of sovereignty do you want back? Which of the above conventions, or others, do you want to ditch?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 782
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/10/2019 8:13:50 AM
Any yous lot see this today?

A bag of weasels every one...... .

House of Hypocrites: In their own words,  how MPs swore to honour the referendum result and then U-turned - starting with politician who outlawed 'no deal' and then paraded the royal assent on Twitter

Independent Anna Soubry promised to honour Brexit and now wants 2nd vote

Colleague Chuka Umunna said we would leave even if they won by a single vote

Vince Cable and Jeremy Corbyn are among others who changed their minds 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6904667/In-words-read-MPs-House-Hypocrites-swore-honour-Brexit-U-turned.html
 Theydidnotfixit
Msg: 783
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/10/2019 9:25:30 AM
Chap I don't want a present parliament to bind the hands of a future. A present parliament is always  free to enter an international treaty.

The project is the United States of Europe ,ever closer union. Leaving any loyalty to this country to one side, I find,the project,  a vast centralizing wealth destroying entity flawed. It also creates more division, how many flags do we need. 

We need to focus our politicians on productivity which has collapsed over forty years. Otherwise we will run out of monetary road. House price, stock and bond inflation is bad, it has destroyed the economy. It's a purely fake prosperity. An illusion. We should have left, the 52 % were right. The 48% were wrong. Now the 75% have decided they know better, they don't. The gulag is a disaster zone, they have mugged us off again. This ruse is the ERM cubed. We had our chance and we wasted it. I only hope now we can steer clear of any further integration. We do better with less Europe. That's a good rule of thumb. The 52% cinched it.

I know vlad lol.... ^^^
 malinhead
Msg: 784
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/10/2019 6:52:25 PM
Deadline now extended to Halloween???Maybe that date is prophetic??
 spectravision
Msg: 785
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/10/2019 7:03:12 PM
Mr Tusk said his "message to British friends" was "please do not waste this time".

^^ Why whats going to happen if they do? Nothing...

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.

Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 malinhead
Msg: 786
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/11/2019 6:26:29 PM
Who knew BREXIT was a word meaning a never occurring exit???
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 787
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/12/2019 1:31:47 AM
That's an interesting point - I wonder if Brexit in future could mean something which is promised but never happens, or maybe something which will happen but maybe not in our lifetime.

Example - "Darling, I know you love me and I love you so could we get to fourth base before Brexit".

"Trust me, your pay rise / promotion is Brexited".
 try1more
Msg: 788
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/12/2019 12:29:13 PM
European Parliament elections are currently scheduled to take place in the UK on 23 May.

To be able to vote in these elections, you must be registered to vote by midnight on Tuesday 7 May 2019.

https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/how-am-i-represented/european-parliment

brexit party on twitter (you don't need to be signed in or have/make an account unless you want to post)

https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk?lang=en
 UKBunny
Msg: 789
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/13/2019 1:55:59 AM
To be able to vote in these elections, you must be registered to vote by midnight on Tuesday 7 May 2019.

thanks, but I'm washing my hair..............

try1more
Msg: 790
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/15/2019 1:42:12 PM
local elections take place on thursday 2nd of may.
european parliment elections take place on thursday 23rd may.

every party with the exception of ukip and the newly formed brexit party, have made it clear that they support overturning the referendum result.
whether you voted to leave or stay is irrelevent if you agree with "not" being bound by the result of an election, there will no longer be any point in having any election.

there are two issues at stake here:
the first issue: in your local elections you get to vote for a local representative of a political party, voting for a councillor that represents an anti democratic party, meaning any other than ukip the brexit party will not be represented at this election (too new).
i get a choice between labour or tory, i will not be voting for either as i will not support anyone willing to stand for a party that wishes to overturn the result of an election, the more people that boycott their local election (unless they can vote for a ukip candidate) the lower the recorded turnout will be, this will be important.
some say you must vote even if it means you spoil your ballot paper, that is rubbish intended to keep the turnout high.
if the winner won a two horse race with 90 % of the votes with only a turnout of 1% i think that would be a particularly hollow victory would it not?
whereas if the turnout was 90% but 89% of the votes were invalid, they could still claim a 90% win (of the valid 1% votes) while claiming a 90% turnout!
which would sound much better would it not?

the second issue:
in the european parliment election the only choice you can make is for the party you want to represent you,
many have claimed that the newly formed brexit party will split the vote between ukip and brexit parties, this is false in this election.
choosing either will ensure you get an mep that will be anti eu, the vote "will" be split in a general election but not in the eu parliment election where your choice is only between a pro eu or anti eu representative, ukip or brexit are anti eu the rest are pro eu.
if you are pro eu then you should vote for any party other than ukip or brexit in order to be represented by a pro eu mep, in this case it should not be seen as a vote for an anti democratic party but a vote for a pro eu party to represent you.
there is a difference although many may find it hard to see.
the more people that vote in the eu election the greater will be the recorded turnout, if this is far greater than the recorded turnout for the local elections only 21 days before it would represent a massive statement in support of abiding by the results of an election.
whether you like that result or not!

unless the numbers have changed the uk gets 73 mep's, the public do not get to choose the mep only the party, the % or proportion of the votes the party gets determines how many mep's they get to choose, so any party getting say half or 50% of the votes gets half of the total number of mep's it's not clear to me how tie breakers are dealt with, since half of 73 is 36 and a half, and parties don't get to share an mep there must be a way it's done.
so the party get awarded the number of mep's and it's left to the party to chose who their mep's will be.

as i stated above in my ward the choice is tory or labour, i would love it if the turnout for my ward were "0%" nobody votes, if only to see first hand how a councillor would be appointed, toss a coin, short straw, pistols at dawn would be exciting wouldn't it ? :-)
pistols at dawn would be great, just think of the ticket sales, the exclusive media deal possible, we would be the richest ward in the borough:-)
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 791
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 1:44:24 AM
Not sure I agree with your reasoning. I think spoiled ballot papers would count as a protest. I am thinking that is what I will do.

Around here only the Tories ever get in. Completely wasted vote otherwise.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 792
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 4:14:29 AM
Try1
For all the waffle about Scotland and remain we sent a ukip mep. The geezer has no joined the brexit party. He will get my vote if he stands.

Anyway i found this quite interesting. I certainly hope Marine Le Pen does well...................

"French far right wants to scrap European Commission
Marine Le Pen’s party is no longer campaigning for a Frexit or for getting rid of the euro.

PARIS — France's far-right National Rally wants to get rid of the European Commission, scrap the Common Agricultural Policy, and set strict new guidelines for the parts of the EU that are left.

Instead, she said the National Rally (formerly the National Front) wants to "save Europe from the European Union that is destroying it," and called for a "European alliance of nations" to take decision-making away from Brussels.

Le Pen did not say why she no longer favors a "Frexit," but she has continued to laud the supposed benefits that Brexit has brought to the United Kingdom.

"Since #Brexit, the national wealth of the United Kingdom has outperformed that of the eurozone, their unemployment rate is at its lowest, they created twice as many jobs as in France and salaries have increased since the end of mass immigration!" Le Pen tweeted on Saturday.

While maintaining that the euro mainly "serves the interests of Germany," the National Rally's election program acknowledges people's desire to keep the single currency.

However, it wants to change the way the European Central Bank works in order to "align monetary creation with the real economy instead of finance" and add "fighting unemployment" to the ECB's mandate.

Calling the way the EU functions "opaque, undemocratic and punitive," the party wants to scrap the European Commission and its "28 commissioners who weren't democratically elected, its president drunk on power" and transfer its powers to the European Council and a modified European Parliament.

Le Pen's party called to "redefine the role of the Parliament so that it serves nations and not be the registration chamber of the Commission” and let Parliament "be in charge of examining and debating and voting on all treaties, texts and directives proposed by the Council of heads of state.”

The National Rally also wants to reinstate national borders and reinforce controls of Europe's external borders, transforming Frontex — the EU's border and coast guard agency — from a "migrant hosting agency" to overseeing a "border policy ... that prevents illegal immigration."

The electoral program also calls for Europe to have "good neighborly relations" with Russia and Turkey, while "freeing itself of external influence ... from America."

According to POLITICO's polling, the National Rally is on course to win 21 seats in May's election, just one seat behind President Emmanuel Macron's La République En Marche.

https://www.politico.eu/article/marine-le-pen-national-rally-french-far-right-wants-to-scrap-european-commission/
 try1more
Msg: 793
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 9:39:10 AM
hi vlad
meant to reply to your posts but life got in the way.
i had seen the brexit song thumbnail but dismissed it, quite amusing, never going to make the charts though, thanks for posting wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
very unimpressed with the attempt to gain points by Green councillor Susan Rae, colour sounds right though :-)

wouldn't rate politico as a reliable source of truth i'm afraid, much of the article sounds suspect no sources given (meaning links) likely just more fake news.

guess you're talking about david coburn ex ukip scotland leader(as of dec 2018) as far as i can find he is probably standing for the brexit party now, don't really have an opinion about him myself, one of 6 scottish mep's, 1 green 2 each snp, labour, wonder what the numbers will be after the eu elections in may?
remember as i said above the number of mep's each party gets depends on their % of the eu election votes, presumably that also applies in scotland in which case what i said above will apply, vote for the party that represents your views on leave or remain not on their political party affiliation.

them russians should be shunned by the world for what they've done to notre dame cathedral :-)
 vlad dracul
Msg: 794
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 10:49:34 AM
Try 1
"wouldn't rate politico as a reliable source of truth i'm afraid, much of the article sounds suspect no sources given (meaning links) likely just more fake news."

I did try the parties website but even with google translate i couldn't find what i wanted. Politico is of course not neutral. This gives it away...........

"Le Pen did not say why she no longer favors a "Frexit," but she has continued to laud the supposed benefits that Brexit has brought to the United Kingdom."

The 'supposed' lol. It's a simple fact that wages HAVE risen since the brexit vote. Agencies are now paying decorators between £14/18 an hour compared to £9/11 three years ago..............

"guess you're talking about david coburn ex ukip scotland leader(as of dec 2018) as far as i can find he is probably standing for the brexit party now, don't really have an opinion about him myself, one of 6 scottish mep's, 1 green 2 each snp, labour, wonder what the numbers will be after the eu elections in may?"

He does seem a bit of a bell end but if voting for him makes remainers cry then vote for him i will...............

"remember as i said above the number of mep's each party gets depends on their % of the eu election votes, presumably that also applies in scotland in which case what i said above will apply, vote for the party that represents your views on leave or remain not on their political party affiliation."

I think ukip will concentrate in England to be honest. I hope they do not go head to head with the brexit party. I read polly toynbees article in the grauniad today.

She reckons remain parties will romp home. Here is hoping she is wrong. Again.............

"them russians should be shunned by the world for what they've done to notre dame cathedral :-)"

I know. They get everywhere don't they? They have made it rain here in Edinburgh as well and i had washing out. That bloody other Vlad.
 try1more
Msg: 795
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 12:59:16 PM
"I think ukip will concentrate in England to be honest. I hope they do not go head to head with the brexit party. I read polly toynbees article in the grauniad today.

She reckons remain parties will romp home. Here is hoping she is wrong. Again............"

stopped taking her meds again ?:-)

"I hope they do not go head to head with the brexit party."

why would you hope that ? i would be quite happy if they did!

the time it's taken and it's domination of the news i suspect has forced many to talk about it and do their own research, which would not leave the msm or remainers looking good.
more folk becoming aware of the lies and deceit, it remains to be seen what effect that will have but i doubt they will like the outcome any more than they liked the referendum result.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 796
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 1:30:24 PM
Try1
""I hope they do not go head to head with the brexit party."

why would you hope that ? i would be quite happy if they did!"

What would be the point of ukip and the brexit party competing against each other and splitting the leave vote? It makes no sense.

I was reading some article about how the two party race is turning on its head. Working class areas voting tory and deserting the completely out of touch labour party.

And the labour party is doing well with the more well off types.

Both labour and the tories got elected on fulfilling brexit. Both lied. Both need to suffer.

And the council elections in england should also include by elections by the so called mp's who call themselves the independent group.

No one voted for THEM. They have no mandate. They should have NO SAY until they have stood for re election.

But one thing we can be well proud off is that we have gave the entitled elitists a good kicking. They are completely lost because we voted brexit.

The same old same old will eventually win no doubt. But we played our part in a citizens revolution of sorts. The day we made the grauniad cry. Nice one.
 try1more
Msg: 797
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 1:47:48 PM
"What would be the point of ukip and the brexit party competing against each other and splitting the leave vote? It makes no sense."

you're allowing others to chose your angle of view, try mine for size, if in a general election no party got a majority but ukip and brexit had enough to form a coalition government, what would be bad about that.
well yeah they would both have to be willing and nigel is not known for compromise.
but in this case i would hope he would see the sense in doing so and so would ukip.
the thing is many would not vote for ukip but would vote for brexit party, just as many would not vote for brexit party but would vote for ukip, that means that between them they could collect a much greater proportion of the votes than either could alone, since both parties are parties for and of the people, i'm all for it!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 798
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 2:39:53 PM
Try1

"you're allowing others to chose your angle of view, try mine for size, if in a general election no party got a majority but ukip and brexit had enough to form a coalition government, what would be bad about that.
well yeah they would both have to be willing and nigel is not known for compromise.
but in this case i would hope he would see the sense in doing so and so would ukip.
the thing is many would not vote for ukip but would vote for brexit party, just as many would not vote for brexit party but would vote for ukip, that means that between them they could collect a much greater proportion of the votes than either could alone, since both parties are parties for and of the people, i'm all for it!"

I see what you mean now. I was alluding to ukip and the brexit party both standing in the same constituency. I hope they are clever enough to avoid that.

But we are both on the save wave length methinks mate.
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 799
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/16/2019 5:16:49 PM
So Brexit deadline now October 31st 2019...

Will it be trick or treat? and do we dress up??
 vlad dracul
Msg: 800
view profile
History
Brexit? A coup de grace?
Posted: 4/17/2019 6:05:21 AM
So i seen a poll (yes i know) today that claims the brexit party could romp home in euro elections. They are polling well considering they have only been going a week.

The deluded remoaners who want to overturn a democratic vote will hopefully get a bloody nose.

I like nigel farage. I joined up to leave.eu during the referendum. Farage has in my eyes anyway helped bring down two tory governments.

The remoaner wails about boris, jakob rees mogg etc 'lying' to the voters is laughable. How many voters in run down towns in England and Wales would be influenced by the three above is laughable. They are clutching at straws.

I also seen a readers comment regarding those climate change protesters shutting down central london. He said it is a bunch of remainers pissing off a city of remainers. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Couldn't agree more.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Brexit? A coup de grace?