Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Getting blocked by someone for no apparent reason      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 familyguy4444
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Getting blocked by someone for no apparent reasonPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
That would be good to know.

Recently, I was being nice to a woman as usual just talking about her interests on this site. At one point, she said the online site wasn’t going well, that she apparently received a lot of messages from rude men.

But then she became rude to me for no reason. She suddenly messaged me that she hopes I find what I want. I was a little dumbfounded because I thought the chat was going well. I messaged her once more just to be sure she didn’t want any more communication, just asking if she grew up in the area. Sometimes if we don't date, we could become friends. If she hadn't responded to this message, I would take the hint and move on.

Then, she blocked me.

OK, I know not to take this personally. But I don’t think I get blocked much since I try to be considerate. So this kind of threw me. Maybe I do get blocked more than I know, which would be helpful to know.

I think she was taking out frustrations caused by others on the wrong party, which men can certainly do as well,
 familyguy4444
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Getting blocked by someone for no apparent reason
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:50:36 PM
If POF can delete profiles based on how many times you have been blocked, then POF needs to allow people who were blocked their equal say. It needs to be a legitimate reason for that time being blocked to count. And we need to know who is blocking us.

We should be innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.
 familyguy4444
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2017 10:57:33 PM
That is a new one, the pre-emptive block. Maybe it is used more than we realize. Like I said, if people can block others on here for no reason and you could get kicked off the site if too many block you, then we need to know who is blocking us and why. And we need our "day in court."
 spot4username
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 5:52:59 AM

She suddenly messaged me that she hopes I find what I want.

In other words - good bye, I am done talking to you. I was seeing if there was an interest. There is not. Best of luck.

I messaged her once more ...I would take the hint and move on.

She already gave you the hint. You didn't move on. You messaged her again.

Then, she blocked me.

She blocked you when you tried to send the message above or when you tried to send another one? If it was before she could tell you wouldn't go away and was preemptive. If it was after she was right - you didn't go away and needed to be blocked.

Most people have responded to a message that seemed polite and genuine even if they didn't feel attracted - esp when they are new to OLD - it just seems like the polite thing we have been conditioned to do. You soon learn that you really should ignore people you don't want to entertain the idea of dating. It just gets ugly.
 cindi_rella
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/3/2017 9:46:30 AM

We should be innocent until proven guilty
And we need our 'day in court'

If youre going to be argumentative with the woman about her no longer being interested, you prolly deserved to be blocked. Plenty of women are happy to use the block option for this very reason.
 familyguy4444
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 10:33:33 AM
And i'm not argumentative about her not being interested. I see that as her loss. That's fine.
I'm argumentative about being blocked without cause, particularly when being blocked can lead to getting your profile deleted.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/3/2017 10:46:05 AM

If POF can delete profiles based on how many times you have been blocked, then POF needs to allow people who were blocked their equal say.

This is based on what information?
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/3/2017 10:53:39 AM

So sending one other message is not going away? That makes no sense.

It may not make any sense to you, but it made perfect sense to her. Unless she's a mind-reader, there was no way for her to know it would be your last message. She wasn't going to take any chances.

Again, I was just making sure she didn't want further contact. If she hadn't responded, I would have moved on. No need to block especially if it can lead to your profile being removed.

I think the majority of people who block are unaware that blocking can result in someone's profile being removed. Speaking for myself, I chose not to reply to messages from men I wasn't interested in, as opposed to blocking them---unless they were rude to me, first.
 familyguy4444
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:43:17 AM
We should at least be able to block someone after they block us. Make it fair.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:49:24 AM

What do you mean by fair?

What advantage does someone get by blocking someone else?
 familyguy4444
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:51:04 AM
It adds to their total of number of times being blocked, which can lead to your account being deleted by POF. If they know they can be blocked in return, they might think twice about blocking someone.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:52:41 AM

It can be done. However, I think blocking someone after they block you smacks of sour grapes on your part. It's childish. My advice is to just let it go, and move on down the road.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/3/2017 11:56:37 AM

Several people have said that. It's also on this POF blog so it looks like the site does delete your account if you have been blocked so many times.

That is not a "POF" blog, it is a blog about POF.

It is just people speculating as to what may be a reason.

The only official blog for POF was run by the old owner and has long since been deleted.
 familyguy4444
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 12:03:14 PM
It's written by someone in the POF "customer service team." To me, that is fairly official.

Perhaps they have changed this so many blocks and you're out policy since 2014. But we don't know for sure, do we?

"This is one of the most common questions we are asked in the thousands of emails our customer service team receives daily." see http://blog.pof.com/2014/08/plentyoffish-account-deleted/
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 12:05:51 PM

If they know they can be blocked in return, they might think twice about blocking someone.

I would imagine they wouldn't know if you did -- so there would be no "lesson" learned. Barely a lesson even if they did for whatever reason. If for some odd reason it was some heated argument that caused the person to block the other, then I guess I could see at a later date the blocker may want to say something to the blockee (to make ammends or to vent again)... in which case I could see them "learning" to think twice to block in said cases If they thought they may want to write them again anyway, if they too got blocked back.

But I'm assuming in almost all cases, they deleted the messages and moved on after they blocked you and never thought twice -- and would never know that you "oooooh!" blocked them back. :)
 familyguy4444
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 1:04:37 PM
True. But if the blocks are used by POF to determine whether to delete your account, then POF would know. To me, adding to that person's number of blocks would be the main reason to block someone who unjustly blocked me.
POF should make clear whether it is using the number of blocks to delete someone's account. If so, it needs to consider whether those blocks were really justified before deleting an account.
 spot4username
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 1:08:41 PM
*disagrees with everyone
*won't listen to reason or facts
*continues to message a person who no longer wants to communicate
*wants to play a little tit for tat game
*etc.
What a prize! I imagine women are swooning in his wake.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/3/2017 1:15:00 PM
Grow some balls and never initiate first messages

Only respond

That'll cut down on the 'cold call b!tch' chicks you're encountering

Let us know what types are messaging you first
 Ouija2025
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/3/2017 1:44:52 PM
sounds like you know you have been blocked by others FG
she told you bye bye and you msged her again, no cool... if she had wanted you as a pal she would have told you.
Day in Court??? no you need to pay attention to what you are told.
 moraima
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 2:20:06 PM
The old no means no comes to mind.

Seems you don't understand the concept of not interested.

Wait let me guess. When she tried to cut you loose nicely, you figured she didn't really mean it. After all who would want to say no to you.

Seen this too often myself. If a man messages me again after I have said no thank you that says anything but okay, thanks for letting me know, I block. If they get totally nasty, I say "welcome to my block list".
 familyguy4444
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 2:52:02 PM
What facts? It's all opinions in here. The only fact is one raised by me in that POF will delete your account if "you accumulate a high number of blocks. Users who are deleted may not signup to the service again." That is in the current FAQ at http://www.pof.com/helpCenter/helpCenter_faq.aspx?Guid=88794965&SID=euz2kddpmimcu4rg4wl5tqdq

I'm not looking for validation; I just raise a valid point about blocking. If someone blocks me for what I think is without cause, I should be able to defend myself before having my account deleted.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/3/2017 3:11:26 PM
Wanting to "get even" with women for blocking you means that you're getting your ego involved. That's not logical because they don't know you---and in turn, you don't know them. On top of that, it makes it sound as if you have anger issues and you're vindictive. Those are not good personality traits.

If your profile is deleted, you can always start a new one under a different e-mail address---however, unless you learn to develop a thicker skin, it's unlikely that you're going to be successful with online dating sites.
 2ufo2
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/3/2017 3:58:20 PM

If they know they can be blocked in return, they might think twice about blocking someone.

That doesn't make sense....
I would assume that everyone already knows that they can both block and be blocked.
But no one is going to think about 'oh gosh, maybe I shouldn't block or I might get blocked in return'.
 familyguy4444
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 5:25:06 PM
No it means that POF should not be deleting profiles just because someone gets blocked too many times. That's been my point from the beginning. Most of you want to make this personal and get too emotional about this. I've been doing online dating since my divorce more than a decade ago. I've done just fine - I'm not looking for any advice.
 familyguy4444
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 5:41:01 PM
On some sites that is the case. If someone blocks you, you can then block them. So if the site deletes accounts based on the number of blocks you have, you both add to that total. And people have to have a better reason to block than not interested on some. On this one, you can't block someone who blocks you because you have to do it thru messages.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Getting blocked by someone for no apparent reason