Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vlad dracul
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Summer of 76Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Flutter
It just put dates to events. The murderer donald neilson. The yorkshire ripper was on his murderous killing spree. The fight we had with iceland over fishing rights. James hunt winning formula 1. Peter frampton who seemed to own the world at that time.

Hearing the damneds new rose on the john peel show. The rise of the sex pistols. The audience in manchester who all or nearly all formed bands. Morrissey was there and went on to front the greatest ever uk band The Smiths.

Jethro tull and brotherhood of man but if you have any of them in your collection you need tarred and feathered.

Everyone and their dug doing the ma na ma na song from the muppets. And a whole host of nicknames for mates. And the insult 'shut up you muppet'.

Aye oor jo would be a young revolutionary trying to smash the state. And myself immersed in alcohol and football. Great days indeed.
 Squareslice
Msg: 25
Summer of 76
Posted: 7/3/2017 7:44:38 AM
Although it wasn't released until '77, Status Quo recorded their live album at the Glasgow Apollo in '76... n I was there.
Another great band that played that year there was Dr Feelgood.

Sake.... just looked up the gig list for that year at the Apollo.... some good names on it.... and I'd forgotten I went to a few of them.... auld age....

http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=14&yr=1976

Tickets were dear at £1.50 - £2.50 ha ha
 vlad dracul
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Summer of 76
Posted: 7/3/2017 7:55:15 AM
Slice
"Although it wasn't released until '77, Status Quo recorded their live album at the Glasgow Apollo in '76... n I was there.
Another great band that played that year there was Dr Feelgood.
Sake.... just looked up the gig list for that year at the Apollo.... some good names on it.... and I'd forgotten I went to a few of them.... auld age....
http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=14&yr=1976
Tickets were dear at £1.50 - £2.50 ha ha"

Did you enjoy glasto then? Have a wee gander at this site mate. All the venues in Edinburgh. All the bands who played. Ticket stubbs, flyers and in some cases photies. (2 sets of photies of ziggy stardust at the empire (now the festival theatre) photies of ac/dc £2 (i think it was to get in).
 scareymush
Msg: 27
Summer of 76
Posted: 7/3/2017 8:12:36 AM
Isn't that funny....the chalet my mother had was in a place called Rush and my brothers named it 'El Paso' but a couple of miles up the road was a place called Skerries and there was 'Red Island' where all the bands of the day played...Horslips, Rory Gallagher etc. My older brothers and sister had a great time growing up around then, they experimented a lot with drugs and they dressed really cool....those were the days when acid you bought on the street was actually hallucinogenic. All I noticed as a kid was that their behaviour was really strange, plus they treated me and my little sisters like their slaves when my Ma and Da weren't around...if we didn't do their chores for them they'd be quite cruel.
 Aggers
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Summer of 76
Posted: 7/3/2017 4:54:05 PM
I got me first real six-string,
Bought it at the Five and Dime,
Played it till my fingers bled,
Was the Summer of ............. oh, I got the wrong end of the stick on this thread, Sorry!

Seriously though 1976, got taken to my first Open Golf Championship, Royal Birkdale. Absolutely brown baked course and some idiot didn't put out a fag in the rough and set fire to the place, we got evacuated for a bit. Mind you it never stopped Severiano Ballesteros from rising to fame!

Also the drought didn't exist in where we lived, York, water was in plentiful supply because of the City's low sea-level status and its 2 Rivers, the Ouse and Foss. No standpipes for us, my Dad regularly washed his MG Magnette and we bathed all the time in plentiful amounts of water. Mind you I remember my Dad also cursing about losing a big area on our front lawn, because the local council did draw the line at watering your garden!

Anyway, it wasn't as long lasting as 1976, but the Summer of 2000 was baking hot, I remember the day that England played Germany at Euro 2000 and the needle being 99.2 degrees Fahrenheit, we all had to go out of the pub at halftime as it was stifling! I'm sure other parts of Britain hit over 100 that day for the first time, that was some heatwave that Summer!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Summer of 76
Posted: 7/4/2017 3:15:54 AM
It would have been better if i had put a link in for my ramblings.

Did you enjoy glasto then? Have a wee gander at this site mate. All the venues in Edinburgh. All the bands who played. Ticket stubbs, flyers and in some cases photies. (2 sets of photies of ziggy stardust at the empire (now the festival theatre) photies of ac/dc £2 (i think it was to get in).

http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com

Messages this short thing......
Summer football. A good or bad thing? Contrary to some in englandshire think all us Scots
do not want england to get beat in every match they play. I wouldn't want them to win anything
right enough but getting to the quarters or semis is fine by me.

In fact its no even the team or the fans that piss us off. It is mainly
the press and tv pundits.

And personally i like the weather when it is a bit drizzly. Like today.

Heres the page with the bowie photies from the show. £1 to get in.

http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/page9.htm

And as a ps on this rainy day yous should have a read of this below. It happened in the same theatre bowie performed in only years earlier.

Have a nice day y'all

"On May 14, 1911 the streets of Edinburgh were thronged with spectators to see his ashes moved from a funeral parlour in Morrison Street to Piershill Cemetery. The funeral was described as ‘one of the most extraordinary interments of modern times’.

The first car in the long cortege was Lafayette’s silver-grey Mercedes, the sole passenger being a Dalmatian hound. There was great ceremonial at the Cemetery, as Beauty’s coffin was opened and Lafayette’s ashes placed beside the dog.

Harry Houdini sent a floral representation of Beauty to the funeral. The grave, with memorial stones to Beauty and The Great Lafayette, can be seen on a grassy mound just inside the Portobello Road entrance to Piershill Cemetery."

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-places/lost-edinburgh-the-death-of-the-great-lafayette-1-3566860
 Squareslice
Msg: 30
Summer of 76
Posted: 7/4/2017 6:14:11 AM
Glasto was good... and I even got spotted on the goggle box!
Dublin was great too, but had a keech time at Download (was on night shift)
Did Community last week n had the best view in the whole of Finsbury Park.... was minding the mixing tower.
Should be doing Wireless this week, but may yet call it off due to my pay being screwed up.

Anyway, at Glasto, had the summer of '76 in one day. The Wednesday afore it hit 35 n where I was, there was no shade. T shirt tan done in one day!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >