Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Am I being made to feel less than a woman for lack of 'assets'?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kj521
Msg: 526
Am I being made to feel less than a woman for lack of 'assets'?Page 22 of 29    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
Oh my goodness!

I am saying....you flirt quite often...and don't appear to have any intention! Sheesh! That wasn't hard to figure out! Lol!

vvvv I'll concede. I have only seen you do it online. :)
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 527
Am I being made to feel less than a woman for lack of 'assets'?
Posted: 12/18/2017 6:24:59 PM
On the forums?? I'm talking about the offline world.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 528
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 9:52:28 AM
Purple Rider wrote:
During the early 80's after the peanut farmer drove up interest rates,
You can blame Reagan and Volcker, not the peanut farmer

and the past 8 years when the dems were claiming that 1% growth was what we were going to see from now on.
As opposed to another GOP bubble like we saw in the early to mid 2000s. Welcome to the bubbledome. Deficit??? What deficit!!!!!! LOL
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 529
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 9:54:06 AM
NY58:
With his 6-figure salary, he had dial-up internet. Judging by the preponderance of the evidence, he didn't like women and he was cheap. He had to go
Sounds like one of those old curmudgeons who will die alone, unnoticed, sitting in front of his B&W TV, and some utility worker or social services worker will find his naturally mummified corpse, in his recliner, a couple years later....and the neighbors will say "We didn't notice anything amiss....He kept to himself, blah blah"....and they will find he has a couple $mil in the bank. I remember reading in the paper here a couple years ago, about an old dude that fit that scenario. Three years or so passed before anyone noticed. His house was in disrepair, lawn unmowed always anyway, so nobody noticed. His corpse was in the recliner with a remains of that day's newspaper on it...that's how they approximated his croakdate. Sad.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 530
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 1:07:14 PM
SS4544, my poor dog was sleeping so soundly until I read what you wrote and broke out into laughter, lol. That will probably be this guy's end of life scenario. He was 58 and a lifetime Bachelor, and evidently with good reason.

He said some odd things to me. He said the woman that ends up with him is going to be very happy when he dies. He didn't explain that, but I would guess it means she will get his money. How interesting he said that she will be happy upon his death, but not happy to be with him in life. Guess deep down inside he knows he's miserable to be with. Then he made mention of not getting married, but supplying the woman with a ring. I guess he was dangling a piece of jewelry in front of me, which did no good, because I'm not interested in jewelry. Try dangling a good personality instead, lol.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 531
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 3:34:24 PM

Ok, Interest rates were up to 18% before Reagan took office. My proof? I was there, I saw it happen. I bought a new 78 Dodge truck, that I paid cash for. I could have gotten a secured loan for it, if I put that in the bank, and used that as collateral on a loan. 14% I would have paid in interest on that loan.

and the past 8 years when the dems were claiming that 1% growth was what we were going to see from now on.
As opposed to another GOP bubble like we saw in the early to mid 2000s. Welcome to the bubbledome. Deficit??? What deficit!!!!!! LOL

Well, that's the answer I expected from an idiot who thinks that the 454 hand grenade chevy engine is something worth owning.
 gtomustang
Msg: 532
Posted: 12/19/2017 4:33:04 PM
Interest rates were high around Carter's time. Of course, paying for Vietnam by Nixon taking us off the gold standard, the gas crisis of 1973, etc, set the stage before Carter got in:

"We see that the problem begins in 1973 with the 73-75 recession–that’s when growth first dives. In October of 1973, the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries declared an oil embargo upon the supporters of Israel–western nations. The 73-75 recession begins in November of 1973, immediately after. During normal recessions, inflation does not rise–it shrinks, as people spend less and prices fall. So why does inflation rise from 73-75? Because this recession is not a normal recession–it is sparked by an oil shortage. The price of oil more than doubles in the space of a mere few months from 73-74. Oil is involved in the manufacturing of plastics, in gasoline, in sneakers, it’s everywhere. When the price of oil goes up, the price of most things go up. The spike in the oil price is so large that drives up the costs of consumer goods throughout the rest of the economy so fast that wages fail to keep up with it. As a result, you get both inflation and a recession at once.
So how does the government react? Upon seeing the poor growth figures, the Federal Reserve drops the interest rate in 1973 from around 11% to around 9%–a full 2% drop. Rather than buoying growth, however, this sends the inflation into overdrive. Wages cannot keep up with the subsequent spike, so purchasing power falls and growth does not return. Terrified by the double-digit inflation rate in 1974, the Federal Reserve switches gears and jacks the interest rate up to near 14%. This snuffs out a nascent economic recovery in 1974–the high rate of inflation was being factored into salaries, and consumers were regaining their spending footing. By raising rates again, the Federal Reserve begins to starve inflation back down, but does so at a cost of a very contractionary, very high interest rate. The economy slips back into the throws of the recession for another year or so, and the unemployment rate takes off, rising to around 9% by 1975.

https://benjaminstudebaker.com/2012/12/30/stagflation-what-really-happened-in-the-70s/

While no Chevy fanatic (but have to admit, after the 426 hemi the next most popular engine in racing is the Rat), I know the build quality of Mopar in 1978--the company was going out of business, and let's not go on about the Aspen/Volare. How about the tires on the passenger side of your truck and their wonderful c0ckeyed thread? I got stuck in the woods of Maine with a flat on that side, and will always remember to check the lugs for the L stamping that means left hand thread.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 533
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 5:14:02 PM
GTO:
Alas, SS454, the bank teller is taken. Out here in the sticks, rural living either costs money or requires a strong back, so if one finds a lass here, she tends to have a second income helping to pay for lawn mowing, plowing the snow out of the driveway, and so on. But I appreciate the pun opportunity.
But ya never know, maybe her "taken" is a "soft" taken, i.e. just a placeholder til someone better comes along? Better..as...in ...a certain...er...bald...musclecar buff... So a stronger back?...you sure that's only for working in the yard?....;)......a more efficient plower?......snow plower, that is..??? And with your mechanical acumen, and relatively young back, you could be da man!! Make that deposit!

assume, the country dancing involves the upbeat "Bro" country, not the cry in your beer, I lost everything country music? :)
Yes, the more modern stuff, which is what the clubs play.....still has a good beat for traditional C&W dancing, though. To me, it's not about the music or songs...not a C&W fan, it's about the dancing and socializing opportunities. Most clubs have free lessons early, say 6pm...good opportunity to meet others and learn how to dance.

But when they won't even invest in themselves...sounds like someone who is just miserable about life in general.
One time back in the day, when I used to have fun with women instead of just fantasizing about having fun with women, I was soft-rejected from a cute girl I met at the gym....., i.e. given reasons why maybe why I wasn't a good match for her, and she said she was disappointed she saw some cobwebs in my house (C'mon! I was a bachelor!!!), and that I wore a yellow shirt on the date (she hated yellow)....sheesh...and I had wrinkles in that shirt...(Yes I had ironed it, but c'mon!!!)..... I was like, "WTF?!?!" It had started so well, after all, we were back at my place on the first date.....but she sloooowed things down once there...and afterwards I decided I could sulk with my wounded ego and tell her to GFYS....or...take the spirit of self improvement ...and get laid....she was cute, after all...so I must say any spiders and their webs that present an impediment to a guy getting laid are immediately endangered. They didn't last long. Neither did the yellow shirt...at least in front of her. And next time we went out, my shirt may as well have been a sandwich board with sleeves, it was so loaded with starch...BUT wrinkle free. Alas, my corrective actions worked. We had a fun little STR. But.......what I learned from that is people have weird negative triggers and sometimes they don't say anything, they just disappear. At least she gave me a chance to improve myself. Of course after she was gone, I was back with the cobwebs and the yellow (allegedly) wrinkled shirt, which most women didn't mind.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 534
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 5:26:27 PM
Purple Rider wrote:
Well, that's the answer I expected from an idiot who thinks that the 454 hand grenade chevy engine is something worth owning.
Huh? I don't know what the 454 engine has to do with interest rate history and the employment of carpenters. And where have I ever written I own one? I guess that's an easier kneejerk comeback than trying to point out why I'm wrong. Otherwise, I'm left to parrot Col. Nathan Jesup: "You can't handle the truth!!" LOL!!

GTO wrote:
Interest rates were high around Carter's time. Of course, paying for Vietnam by Nixon taking us off the gold standard, the gas crisis of 1973, etc, set the stage before Carter got in
Yes and yes. Carter didn't raise interest rates; however Reagan and Paul Volcker mounted an intensive campaign to kill inflation, i.e. they raised interest rates. And they did this as much to erase problems from Nixon's and Ford's policies as Carter's. Of course, to kneejerk partisans, Carter gets selectively blamed for all this. And while I think Reagan is quite possibly the most overrated President in the history of the universe, I think what he and Volcker did was probably the right thing to do, BTW.......They knew they would probably cause a recession, and no pol now has the courage todo that...witness the unneeded Trump tax cut charade. Pols of both sides just stoke financial bubbles now, it's the new economic reality.
 Kj521
Msg: 535
Posted: 12/19/2017 5:34:51 PM
"One time back in the day, when I used to have fun with women instead of just fantasizing about having fun with women, I was soft-rejected from a cute girl I met at the gym....., i.e. given reasons why maybe why I wasn't a good match for her, and she said she was disappointed she saw some cobwebs in my house (C'mon! I was a bachelor!!!), and that I wore a yellow shirt on the date (she hated yellow)....sheesh...and I had wrinkles in that shirt...(Yes I had ironed it, but c'mon!!!)..... I was like, "WTF?!?!" It had started so well, after all, we were back at my place on the first date.....but she sloooowed things down once there...and afterwards I decided I could sulk with my wounded ego and tell her to GFYS....or...take the spirit of self improvement ...and get laid....she was cute, after all...so I must say any spiders and their webs that present an impediment to a guy getting laid are immediately endangered. They didn't last long. Neither did the yellow shirt...at least in front of her. And next time we went out, my shirt may as well have been a sandwich board with sleeves, it was so loaded with starch...BUT wrinkle free. Alas, my corrective actions worked. We had a fun little STR. But.......what I learned from that is people have weird negative triggers and sometimes they don't say anything, they just disappear. At least she gave me a chance to improve myself. Of course after she was gone, I was back with the cobwebs and the yellow (allegedly) wrinkled shirt, which most women didn't mind."

Y'all are hopeless. That is all i can say. :)
 backcreek7
Msg: 536
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 6:13:23 PM
" Y'all are hopeless. That is all i can say. "

^^^ welp ! that may be true, but we're cute :)

ps kj ~ have you heard that song " RAINING ON THE SKY " by NAKED ?

just have the feeling ~ you'd like it !

heart / sun

and oh yeah ! Merry Christmas !!!!!!!!!

for you & yours ~ I know there will be great conversation that day ...
& lots of LOVE to be shared !!!

enjoy ~
 Kj521
Msg: 537
Posted: 12/20/2017 3:18:30 AM
^Mr. Backcreek?

You are not included in the "hopeless". :)

That song? Well...it's just...perfect! You sir...get it!

That song? THAT...is what I want for Xmas! Keeping fingers crossed...been extra good this year! ;) ;)

In fact....my Christmas wish....that everyone gets to experience that kind of love!

Thank you, Mr. Backcreek.

Always....
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 538
Posted: 12/20/2017 7:26:44 AM
KJ!!!

I fvckin’ love ya man

I’ll be in Windermere in March

Let’s share a giant Slurpee again!
 gtomustang
Msg: 539
Posted: 12/20/2017 10:49:58 AM
"but ya never know, her "Taken" might be soft"

>>>well, I've gone down that path, and not to be a nay-sayer...but I already know what usually happens. I invest, she flakes, she sleeps with the next guy rather than me. You handsome fellows have better odds than I, of being used for sex :) I get used for companionship. and that's why I don't take so many risk on long-shot women, I want more of a sure-thing, an actual relationship. Not a place-holder time expenditure until she finds the next hot bod to "get under in order to get over", as the saying goes.

cue NG and CW to proclaim the "don't be her emotional friend" routine :) But women get to decide who they want to have sex with. Now, sometimes I did get to first base, but man cannot live on bread and first base alone :)

as for coupons, I think of it like making any sales pitch--put your best foot forward. on the flip side, i'll agree with HS premise--don't set a standard you can't keep living up to. there's a middle ground. but then that gets us back to the definition of "little white lies" and what exaggerations of the truth are ok, and is all fair in love and war?
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 540
Posted: 12/20/2017 10:53:18 AM

Halcyon Skies wrote:
I don’t care if a man uses coupons.

Coupons are fine. But a dude springing a coupon out on the first few dates or so is cheap, and IS a red flag. I have agreed with NY58 on that one in the past.

Early on in relationships, everyone is on their best behaviour. "Fake" behaviour, if you will. True tendencies, especially tendencies that could be considered negative, only creep in over time as the relationship develops. If a date exhibits ANY behaviour that could be construed as being "cheap" on the FIRST bleeping date, that is a red flag.

I have a different take on that. I think it’s disingenuous to use “fake” behavior at the beginning of relationships, in an attempt to impress women. It sets a precedent where they will keep expecting it. If you can’t afford to continue taking the woman to expensive places and paying full ticket, and you attempt to use the coupon later, it will come back to bite you in the azz.

It’s best to be frugal from the outcome---there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of discounts or coupons when they are available. If a woman thinks you’re cheap, she's not the right woman for you. If you’re a frugal person, you want to attract a woman who feels the same way.
 backcreek7
Msg: 541
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2017 11:10:27 AM
>>> kj says ~
" in fact ... my Christmas wish .... that everyone gets to experience that kind of love! "

sometimes I think I've got a 6th sense , when it comes to peoples souls, col ...
the quote sounds just like you, caring much for others ~ wanting the best for all :)

I know you've heard this song, it's one of my absolute favorites ...
* lyrics
" of all the better things I heard, lovin' you has made the words ~
............... and all the rest, seem so absurd ~
............... cause in the end, it all comes out I'm sure "
ps? I love to sing along to this one, wow !
PLEASE BE WITH ME by ERIC CLAPTON
turn it up ^
ps? I can sing right along in the backround & you'd never know I was there :)
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 542
Posted: 12/20/2017 11:23:44 AM

Early on in relationships, everyone is on their best behaviour. "Fake" behaviour, if you will.

Eh, no. Not I. There may have been times in my younger days when this was true, but I put an end to that, and boy, did it make things so much easier.

I don't really understand the concept of sitting on the idea of using coupons until you know the woman better. Hell, by that logic, why limit it to just coupons?? Go ahead and be deceptive about everything else until you feel it's the right time to drop the "bomb" on her.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 543
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2017 11:36:41 AM

"but ya never know, her "Taken" might be soft"

If no ring, could be what she tells customers. Any cute social gal who's friendly is always going to have prospects at least she's talking to -- so she doesn't have to stretch the truth in saying so when she doesn't have a BF. It doesn't it make it much easier tho -- certainly not, when she doesn't really know ya from Adam, you're not a hot guy walking in, and you're just a customer... and won't Potentially open up interest until if/when you're more than just that (like a bartender). That's why instead, I'd opt for going the group-friends route. Weaving in light conversation that you and your friends go to [x] place, and she or she and her friends should swing by there some time. Stuff like that. Isolate the target out of the work-shirt arena.

well, I've gone down that path, and not to be a nay-sayer...but I already know what usually happens. I invest, she flakes, she sleeps with the next guy rather than me.

Well, if it's a soft-taken, there's a good chance it doesn't have to be the "next" guy, but a guy who already has been on her list (even if not a BF). But even not having a BF, sure, it can be a next guy too. I think the key is not Investing, but treating her like a dime a dozen, as far as a potential prospect is concerned -- no emotional investment. She's a hard catch, low chance.

I get used for companionship. and that's why I don't take so many risk on long-shot women

But you don't want to play the Friends card. Granted, you'll miss out on some things that formulate as something socially fun, but many times, as you point out, it's for you to be a shoulder to lean on. While socially on the outside where I'm sure comes easily if you want to stay out in the sticks outside the city, that can be alluring. But it's not a bronze medal -- it's being the water boy, conceptually. :) Sure, over time there be A gal once in a while who you're like that with -- but my point is, make that the exception, not the rule... and the aim to be away from that when getting to know a gal ya don't know at first.

Instead, you're not there to make any 1-on-1 friends. You're not there to be a shoulder to cry on, or someone to lean on as your crumbs of affection from women. I knew one guy who was like that -- at 24! He actually liked that, because it was "something" -- but didn't know it wasn't anything until he (finally, 7 years later) did start getting real gal attention/dates/etc. He did have to get in shape (way too skinny; not great face; had to work out + get confidence over time).

I want more of a sure-thing, an actual relationship.

Well, it's about investing any real time with a gal who actually Like-Likes you. You're not going to do that, even as you point out, by being her emotional friend to lean on. At best, you can get a kiss or something in the right circumstances lined up, but another gal playing that role being besties can too (even though they never admit it! lol).

My classic POV -- which is no outsider's POV -- is to avoid the established comfort-zone of slipping into being "that guy friend". You can still be considered a friend -- and charming, and social, etc. But you're there to make group-friends with the gals, not 1-on-1 opp-sex lean-on-each-other friends... and the tone sets itself that way amongst them, when that Is your true emotional aim. And as far as being able to get a gal "to fool around with"? That can happen for any guy -- his looks won't stop him from that... his age/looks/etc just has to, within reason, measure up with said gals' for that to happen.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 544
Posted: 12/20/2017 2:49:57 PM

(halcyon_skies) I have a different take on that. I think it’s disingenuous to use “fake” behavior at the beginning of relationships, in an attempt to impress women.

*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!*

There's a difference between "fake" behaviour, and being on one's *BEST* behaviour.

(halcyon_skies) It sets a precedent where they will keep expecting it. If you can’t afford to continue taking the woman to expensive places and paying full ticket, and you attempt to use the coupon later, it will come back to bite you in the azz.

It’s best to be frugal from the outcome---there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of discounts or coupons when they are available. If a woman thinks you’re cheap, she's not the right woman for you.

If the object of the exercise is to get a leg-over, rather than a life-companion, different tactics are called for.

This was my X-mas present, right? You making such a howlingly dumb-ass statement, designed to give me a belly-laugh? You're so thoughtful! :roll:
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 545
Posted: 12/20/2017 3:03:37 PM
^^^^ Not all women attribute coupon use to not making a good life companion. Sorry if you haven't been fortunate enough to meet one.

Flip it around. If a woman invited you out for dinner and used a coupon from the Entertainment Book to help cover the tab, would you think *SHE* was cheap? Doubtful.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 546
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2017 5:06:50 PM
Pig, the problem I had with my free pass user for the movies was that he was purposefully hiding it from me. We walked up to the window to pay and he stepped in front of me and spread himself out to take up the space where I couldn't stand next to him to see what he was doing. I don't like the idea of someone being sneaky. If a guy wanted to take me somewhere, and I knew there was a coupon I could find, I would be clipping it for him. For a 58 year old man to stand in such a way to hide using a free coupon, that is pathetic!
 Kj521
Msg: 547
Posted: 12/20/2017 5:12:09 PM
Ms. Newyorker....have some compassion. Everyone has a story.

He just wasn't for you. Doesn't make him pathetic...just not your....ONE...is all. :)
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 548
Posted: 12/20/2017 7:09:38 PM

(halcyon_skies) ^^^^ Not all women attribute coupon use to not making a good life companion.

Re-read what I said: if the objective is to score a ONS, a different tack will be used.

Please try to keep up. It's gettiung tedious having to repeat mself.

(halcyon_skies) Sorry if you haven't been fortunate enough to meet one.

No, you're not. You're chortling to yourself, imagining me suffering in solitude.

You're very mean...

(halcyon_skies)Flip it around. If a woman invited you out for dinner and used a coupon from the Entertainment Book to help cover the tab, would you think *SHE* was cheap? Doubtful.[/ b]

You're right -- I would find it charming and flattering that she had offered to pay in the first place. However, not everyone appreciates frugality. Try stepping out of "HS' Fairy Tale World" for a minute, where everyone thinks *EXACTLY LIKE YOU DO*, and realize that the *REAL* world contains *REAL* people; and, while *SOME* might appreciate cost-consciousness, many *DO NOT*.
 holaks
Msg: 549
Posted: 12/20/2017 8:10:07 PM
Well get this: I have always been big on top. And, recently I was with someone who commented "your a big girl aren't you" his tone was demeaning and I took it as he prefers a smaller girl. Needless to say, he was history that night. Sometimes men are just stupid. And, big or small we are who we are, and capable of love. To me the size of a tool is not the important thing, it's how you use what you have.
 holaks
Msg: 550
Posted: 12/20/2017 8:18:59 PM
Never mind these people. I did not take it as you had an issue with yourself, that's messed up. Me being a big breasted woman, I can testify that men do comment, and what the heck. Everybody don't get your panties in a wad.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Am I being made to feel less than a woman for lack of 'assets'?