Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > a millenial makes a request      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 26
view profile
History
a touching story about your WangPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
again, @op:

Sorry - I missed this bit, and just noticed it.

IBM was sure they had their bread and butter in the hardware (desktop computers), so they fobbed off the software programming to someone, thinking they were just too big to waste their time on such a small "side project". But, MS DOS quickly dominated the software market, and IBM got underpriced out of its market by competitors who could build and sell the same thing for cheaper.

Perspective. The best estimates IBM had at the time for sales over the product cycle (which at the time was 5-10 years) was only about 250,000. The ESTIMATES were the big fvckup - but to be fair, nobody predicted what would happen to the market.If they had known then what they know now, I'm sure the deal wouldn't have been be *quite* the same :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 27
a touching story about your Wang
Posted: 7/17/2017 4:02:19 AM
While I am the last person to talk about computers, I used to use an Amiga 500 and 1000, and have to say, their design of multitasking windows sure seemed to be something Bill Gates took a long hard look at. Eerily similar, but then copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

as for "misunderestimating", business has made the "the best problem to have" often enough, so I guess I can chalk it up to hindsight, maybe. Sometimes a company gets a product to market, perhaps one they discovered by mistake, to cover the cost of R&D and didn't invest in market research to find out what the market was...and sometimes even the customer has no idea they need something until they get their own hands on it and play around with it. IBM began by making huge business machines, and some companies tend to stick to what they know.

Of course, countries have gone to war over bad estimates (WWI, Vietnam body counts, etc). My father had a company called Search, building desktop computers (still huge compared to today) in the late 60's. Trying to convince executives used to a typing pool, secretaries filing, etc to buy a computer to allow the executive to do all that work...it was a hard sell back then. And unfortunately they were engineers not businesspeople....they got a wall street firm to see the potential, and instead of going to their competitors to sell what they had worked hard to get working, they then went to a law firm...and began the process of designing, coding, beta testing etc all over again.

the early joke about Microsoft was, "getting the product to market is Job One. Getting it right, is Job 1.2" But my father would say, never let the engineers run the business b/c they'd keep tweaking on the product until it was perfect, and miss the market entirely.
 Walts
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/17/2017 4:37:41 AM

In short - her attitude sucks.

Ask yourself if her attitude sucks because her observations are true????
 haplata
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/17/2017 6:16:14 AM
"In short - her attitude sucks.

Ask yourself if her attitude sucks because her observations are true????"

Typical Boomer..demands absolute fealty but gives nothing to deserve it.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2017 7:42:42 AM
@Watts:

In short - her attitude sucks.

Ask yourself if her attitude sucks because her observations are true????

The only difference between her and a 6 month old baby crying for her bottle is that she's using her words.
 haplata
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/17/2017 10:18:18 AM

The only difference between her and a 6 month old baby crying for her bottle is that she's using her words.

Yep... generational warfare....the Entitled Boomers mentality vs the we are not going to be exploited by the Boomers mentality.
 Walts
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/19/2017 3:49:58 AM

The only difference between her and a 6 month old baby crying for her bottle is that she's using her words

And though we may be listening to those words, some still are not understanding because they have labelled it as whining.

At our ages, and with our experiences, maybe we could look back and think that maybe, just maybe, that there are some points to reconsider in her thoughts. There is more to living than busting your bum everyday of your working life, for a paycheque alone.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > a millenial makes a request