Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What do you get out of this forum?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maria11418
Msg: 26
What do you get out of this forum?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
PollyR107 - thank you and that's great news! It's always great to hear about someone's success on here. I have two local female friends, one is 38 and says POF is no good and only for hookups, and the other is 61, broke up with her long-term boyfriend, said she went on here, talked to a few men and found a new guy! She is happy and said this site is great. :-)
 forever_live_and_die
Msg: 27
What do you get out of this forum?
Posted: 7/10/2017 10:43:11 PM
It sustains me.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2017 10:42:21 AM

I read the forums to remind me of what I'm NOT missing, about dating. Most of the time, I'll just sit back and read the arguments. What I do remember, is this- Women want

Men who make 150K+ a year.
Drive a Ferrari.
Want one with a PhD (Or higher)
At least 6 foot tall.
Is a hopeless romantic.
And admits that women are always right.

Only the first one I agree with, LOL.
A Ferrari is too close to the ground, I find any car like that hard to get into; I don't want one. I don't want to be near any car someone thinks they can drive like they're on a racetrack.
A PhD in itself means nothing unless you find out the character behind it. I dated a super brilliant guy once, it became apparent he was only concerned in talking over my head, it wasn't attractive at all.
Anyone my height or taller will do.
Hopeless? I'd rather have someone who has sensible abilities, and believes in the scientific method... not fantasy.
I've not met anyone who is 'always right'... both parties need to be humble at times to understand when they are not right.

And the money thing? Just someone who's planned well in life and isn't, at retirement, in debt.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/11/2017 10:59:58 AM
It helps pass the time at work

The only time I ever get enjoyment out of it is when someone of the same mindset responds positively to something I wrote.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/11/2017 11:20:49 AM
I feel blessed knowing I'm doing better then most
 spot4username
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2017 11:21:32 AM
^^
I really like this post in particular!
 purplerider1200
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2017 3:46:46 PM
I have another version of this comment-

I feel blessed knowing I'm doing better then most.

"Gee! Am I glad I'm not in that situation!"

I'll make my own mistakes, thank you.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/11/2017 6:04:43 PM
I read the OP as how do you get out of this
forum and I was going to say be strong, X out and
know there is life after the forums.
 forumslady
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/11/2017 9:03:36 PM
PollyR107- When I first joined here, I was just out of a 22 year relationship.
I had NO clue what I was doing, or what dating was like, since I left the dating scene in 1989.
Boy, was I in for a shock. :o
Things had changed, quite a bit.
My lesson, in the beginning, was that I wasn't ready. I was attracting the wrong type and recognized my role in that.
So, I backed off for a while and got into counseling and still go, so I can keep growing, as a person.
In the meantime, I started enjoying playing arm chair therapist, even if people don't listen.
My main motive was to try to help, but the forums can provide a distraction, as well.
Some days are not so good days, and reading what other people have to say and what they are going through can be better than what is happening, on bad days.
I learned I was not alone, that good people can wind up in bad marriages and maybe there is hope that I can meet a good man, one day.
I see them here, I try to let them know they are recognized and give me hope.
I learned that bitterness is a very ugly thing and not to cop out and blame the male sex, in general, because a few men want to dig in their heals and feel certain that women are to blame, for everything.
I learned not to take rejection to heart. At first, I did, but one of the things I'm most thankful for was all of the forum members who kept saying NOT to take it personally, it isn't real until you meet FINALLY sunk in.
If I get out of line, or I'm wrong, there are forum members here who will set me straight. These forum members I have learned to respect, because I am always open to growth and you can't grow if you don't listen when people tell you things you need to hear.
It was nice to have it reinforced that life isn't black and white, sometimes there is middle ground.
I can be the nice person I have always been, but refuse to be a door mat and take up for myself and that is not only ok, but necessary.
So, now, my fellow forum members, you know that some of you DO make a difference.
Being here has helped me find myself, to know who I really am and to like who that is.
The world is an interesting place, with a lot of different perspectives and some really interesting view points and I'm happy to participate and try to make a difference myself, now and then. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/12/2017 3:46:02 AM
Yeah, Ferraris sit lower than Corvettes, and Lotus cars are the worst--you crawl out of one, undignified. Not impressive at the country club, looks like you're already drunk :)

"gee, am I glad I am not in that situation!"

>>>this isn't aimed at the speaker, since I don't know him, but I've known some people who can hear a tale of woe, and somehow blame the speaker for their situation. "Oh, you took your broken car to the mechanic closest to where you broke down and got screwed? well, that's your fault somehow for choosing that one." I suspect its a knee-jerk reaction, the critic hopes to avoid a similar situation, and thinks that if they just are smarter than you, they can avoid a simple fact of life--sometimes bad things just happen to good people.

that said....I still understand the sentiment :) Sometimes its good to compare our problems to others, and realize things could be worse.

and yes, there is life outside the forums, but I do tell my friend about the stories sometimes :) hope no one minds.

to dwell further on FL's post above, this site can help, as long as one wears their thick skin and combs thru the coals to find the diamonds. also, to borrow SIMP's post from another post, sometimes we can see posters do a habit we have, and realize...its not very attractive (in her post, she mentioned bringing others down in order to raise ourselves) once we look at it from the outside.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2017 4:20:24 AM

It helps pass the time at work

The only time I ever get enjoyment out of it is when someone of the same mindset responds positively to something I wrote.

I agree! Great post! :)

I enjoy the jokes, funny comments and the sometimes informative posts.
I've made a few online forum friends, some bloody lovely people.
I don't like the snarky sanctimonious comments people sometimes make but maybe I'm the sensitive fragile type :)
 SLAFFA
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/12/2017 7:45:58 AM
The Forums can offer HOPE ... but it was much easier many moons ago. Back when Forums was still on the banner and the "meddlers" (Moderators) were still cracking their whips. Sometimes just to hear the sound. But ... they were all Humans and none ever got paid a dime that I am aware of.

I met over the years half (or at least shared a phone call or 2) a dozen "well known" Forum ladies. Only one was as I expected given her Forum input.

So, it would seem that "qualifying" someone per their Forum input might not be such a good idea.

???

Oddly, I still trust someone's Forum input more than what is written in their profile.

If it was up to me, people's (if any) posts would be at the top of their profile and/or they would have some type of profile notation that they were a Forum participant.
 spot4username
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2017 7:56:07 AM

If it was up to me, people's (if any) posts would be at the top of their profile and/or they would have some type of profile notation that they were a Forum participant.

Like a Badge of (dis)Honor?

Only one was as I expected given her Forum input.

I have had some posters do a full 180 not only on me but on their entire posting history.

I have had interaction with a few posters outside the forums.
Mostly messaging or Facebook (back when I had an acct).
A few phone calls.
One covert sighting. She has no idea we were at the same event. She looks... different.
 gtomustang
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/12/2017 6:25:38 PM
^^^golly, I hope she didn't look manly :)

at another forum, I ended up meeting 40 people F2F. it was always amazing how the "loudest" people could usually seem so human in real life. only a few turned out to be as abrasive in real life as they did online. Of course, nearly everyone tries to look their best the first time they meet :)
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/12/2017 9:29:48 PM
I believe the forumites I met two years ago would agree I'm just as obnoxious in person. Speaking of which, I haven't seen Tom or Belle posting, so I assume they're not here anymore.
 gtomustang
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/13/2017 5:56:15 AM
the last time Tom posted (he mentioned meeting Hawking and you and the others), he used to admit he lurks, but who knows now. He was politically conservative, and we have a political forum, so I guess he avoids the temptation to say things, or its just too combative in that forum for him. Belle, I think, did find something/someone better or more distracting. I suspect like an explorer, she'll return with stories/experiences. We are a train wreck, no one can turn away forever :)
 plantlover1955
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/13/2017 6:46:11 AM
I get amusement.
 south_city
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/13/2017 7:02:14 AM
Sometimes there is a good advice given here. But the forum is mostly about entertainment.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2017 12:01:01 PM

I get amusement.

Thank you. I do my best.

Sometimes there is a good advice given here.

Thank you. I do my best.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/13/2017 12:54:06 PM

But the forum is mostly about entertainment.

Tell that to the people who still believe this abandoned amusement park of the interwebs is a sacred educational institution that absolutely must be protected from rule breakers.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2017 1:12:28 PM
I found friends from all over the world here when I was recovering from a heart attack in October of 2008. It kept me sane and from going stir crazy out of work and bed ridden.
 sun___flower
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Ask not what you can get out of this forum; ask what this forum can get out of you
Posted: 7/13/2017 2:29:48 PM

Tell that to the people who still believe this abandoned amusement park of the interwebs is a sacred educational institution that absolutely must be protected from rule breakers.

Like people who change thread titles.
 gtomustang
Msg: 48
Ask not what you can get out of this forum; ask what this forum can get out of you
Posted: 7/13/2017 3:12:48 PM
geez, piggy, half the fun IS the tightly-wound people who believe this is the sacred institution :) You never went to Catholic school, apparently....bending the rules without the nuns having a reason to crack a ruler over you was a fun mental exercise.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/13/2017 4:34:17 PM

You never went to Catholic school, apparently

Oh, but I did. I served 10 hard years.

I was referring to the shitheads who have rallied their buddies together to get people banned and the ones who are constantly telling people "that's against the rules". What a f*cking joke. They should be thoroughly embarrassed.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/13/2017 4:43:06 PM
Tom is still around he just doesn't post often. Happy as a clam in his new place, he sent me lovely photos ( of the Elvis Christmas thro the years) and letter.
He has a happy outlook on life.. nah, he said he liked you Pig.:/ He had fun just was hard to follow the convo
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What do you get out of this forum?