Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 40
football teamsPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Nooooo i never miss an opportunity to point out how the london labour party have been total ravi shankers for years. Don't cry. You see london labour fc are now the preserve of the prawn sandwich brigade. They have priced the working class out of their stadium.

Funny, I seem to remember them doing rather well, in the election, they removed the Tory majority, and came within a gnat's of actually winning it.

And again i ask. The team i slavishly follow, Hibernian Football Club never killed or maimed anyone. The team YOU slavishly follow killed and maimed many.

And the team YOU "slavishly follow", (and shill for here) ; the tories, were right behind them.
I don't "slavishly follow" any team.
I was against the war, like Corbyn. and robin cooke.

BTW ^^that wasn't a question. ["I ask again...."]

Funny you never mention the mass murders of civilians in iraq.

But not as "funny" [peculiar] as you mentioning it, in a thread about football teams.
Why on earth would I??

Anyhow, I thought you didn't care about what happens elsewhere?

It's always seemed weird to me, that rugby; a much more physically violent game, where players pretend they're not injured, when it's obvious to anyone, that they've actually got part of a limb missing ("it's just a scratch, I'll be fine"), compared to footballers who writhe about in agony, clutching their shins, when there's no-one anywhere near them, has spectators who don't form "gangs", and go out looking for rival supporters to "bash up". (Is that the correct terminology?)

Logically, you'd think it would be the other way round, wouldn't you?
Sorry Pauline,
just trying to get this back onto the topic.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 41
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/10/2017 10:19:10 AM
Scarey - I think we should have our own thread, everyone else is talking about football.

I think I said something like "what we used to call bog irish" trying to point out that times have changed. That phrase wouldn't be used now. But the parents were ill educated as was my Dad. Back then the blokes used to give their wives housekeeping money and spend the rest on themselves. If it hadn't been for my Mum being a nurse and the woman next door doing cleaning then either the rents would not have been paid or no food on the table. Back in the 60s that was a reality for an awful lot of working families and most of the estate I lived on would have experienced life in a similar fashion.

Next doors kids were no more discriminated against than the rest of us. We all played together and did dumb things together. The difference was that most catholic families sent their kids to the catholic school miles away when they could easily have sent them over the road to the non sectarian school, all of 200 yards, with the rest of us. It was their choice. We did have a few catholics in our school. The thing was, nobody gave a damn in our school who had what religion. That's maybe something those who have been brought up in Ireland might not understand.

I do have an idea of Irish history though I'm sure not one we can agree on. But wasn't it Robert the Bruce who invaded Ireland (well his brother at least). And were not the Highland clearances as much between lowlanders and highlanders. Actually, all of the oppression worldwide is by those who can against those who can't defend themselves, it's the ongoing struggle between the rich and poor. View that how you like but it wasn't my working class family who invaded anywhere, anytime.

Do you know what made the big difference for my family? It was after the national docks strike and dockers were taken off casual work and all assigned to an employer. That employer could loan them out to other employers depending on which boats needed men, but the blokes all got a guaranteed wage every week. But the big difference, the real big difference, was that they were paid into a bank. That removed from the scene all those **stards who used to hang around the dock gates and prey on the men. It meant the money couldn't be spent in the boozer before the bloke got home and in my Dad's case, he could see how if he didn't spend it all in that one week, he could save money and go on holiday! And he did. two years of not going to the pub and a freddie Laker flight to LA to see his brother.

I think I have said to the point of boredom that I believe we are in a better place than we were 50 or so years ago. In my experience, which could be very different from yours, is that racism is much less tolerated now as is any form of discrimination. I don't believe all Irish people are dumb but nor do I believe they are all gifted footballers and songwriters and without whom our railways wouldn't have been built. They're just people.

Anyway, I'm off on a long drive up the M5 tomorrow on my way to a funeral. See you all Saturday.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 42
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/10/2017 10:21:18 AM

One person on the thread so far got that I was taking the piss out of Pauls post

Hands up, that wasn't me. Obviously far too subtle!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 43
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/12/2017 8:14:53 AM
As I write this Burnley are beating Chelsea 3-1 and Huddersfield are beating Crystal Palace 2-0.

Hope it stays that way - great start to the season!

Goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
 scareymush
Msg: 44
football teams
Posted: 8/12/2017 8:39:31 AM
I meant to tell you I was talking about the black and tans. I've got zero clue about Richard the bruce but I know a helluvalot about Diarmuid McMurrough and Strongbow....I'm a descendant of the terrible anglo normans....my surname is french and I hate that, my eye colour is hazel and I hate that, thankfully my ma is 100% Irish and hailed from royalty otherwise I'd kill myself.

http://www.enjoy-irish-culture.com/dermot-macmurrough.html
 vlad dracul
Msg: 45
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/12/2017 9:10:15 AM
"I meant to tell you I was talking about the black and tans. I've got zero clue about Richard the bruce but I know a helluvalot about Diarmuid McMurrough and Strongbow....I'm a descendant of the terrible anglo normans....my surname is french and I hate that, my eye colour is hazel and I hate that, thankfully my ma is 100% Irish and hailed from royalty otherwise I'd kill myself."

Get out you black and tans eh?

Well the mighty Hibernian FC just went to castle greyskull and slapped the forces of loyalism. The brave 900 odd who will now be fighting as if at rorkes drift. If ye know not Scottish football then ye know not what winning at greyskull means.

Surrounded by 50,000 orcs wanting your blood. Even more so if you wear the green. A big thank you to neil lennon.

As a wee aside did any of yous know neil lennon had letter bombs sent to him by northern irish orcs based in ayrshire?

But today is rejoice. My lassie got hame with new baby Amelia yesterday and the Hibees won. What a weekend.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 46
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/12/2017 9:27:52 AM
Well that sounds great Vlad, if only i knew what you were talking about. Happy Granddad day.

Meanwhile Chelsea almost caught up but didn't and are now in the relegation zone.

Bizarre.
 billybonds
Msg: 47
football teams W.H.U.
Posted: 8/12/2017 10:29:24 AM
You forgot the e on languag chap, also pulling you to one side
you've been celebrating a few dodgy off side goals lately, just
saying...thanks for the two Chelsea update posts both
made me very happy...just saying ....I'm at a place called silent pool.....
tumbleweed......really wouldn't tear up any trees to visit it.....
Indian tonight and maybe even match of the day....
 vlad dracul
Msg: 48
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/13/2017 1:00:31 AM
Ah yes. One had guzzled a few beers. As well as wetting baby A's head my football team Hibernian FC went through to glasgow to play rangers. We only got 900 odd tickets. We sold out in 7 mins. Ibrox is a horrible place at the best of times. But when you wear the green it becomes evil.

We were a goal down after three mins. 50,000 huns were delirious. Then we took hold of the game. We went three one up. Our manager neil lennon is hated beyond belief by the hun. 50,000 baying for blood.

I was just reading on a fans site our 900 odd made it there and back safely.

See the toffees got off to a good start. And a massive well done to burnley like. What a brilliant result. I'm always glad when chelsea lose. Their fans have massive links with rangers and linfield from belfast.

But grandad is away up to see aw the bairns the day. So toodle pip
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 49
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/14/2017 3:05:52 AM
Well, great start to the premiership (how come there are no Scottish teams good enough to be in the premier?) . Great start for Huddersfield (who?) and Burnley. Mr Rooney mad a fantastic start for Everton winning the game for them with a goal, how the 14 years of bitterness are so swiftly forgotten.

Here's a nice little pass for someone to nod in..................................................
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 51
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/14/2017 3:53:06 AM
I've never understood why football supporters bray at each other, none more so than at local derbies. More often than not, they live within spitting distance of each other, (sometimes even in the same house...) yet because they wear different coloured shirts and scarves, there's great animosity present. Why? All watching the same game, for heaven's sake.
 scareymush
Msg: 52
football teams
Posted: 8/14/2017 7:49:15 AM
@ Justanotherchap,

You thought you had it bad growing up in the Liverpool of the 50's And 60's, you should read this article written by an American about the hardship of growing up in Dublin

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseMcGregor/conor-mcgregor-shaped-dublin-roots-prepares-fight-floyd-mayweather

excerpt:

"Most Irish sporting champions reflect the lilting reserve of the green hills. That's not Conor. He's inner-city Dublin personified. He carries the lingering spirit of the tenements off O'Connell Street, the projects of Oliver Bond and the cruelly named Fatima Mansions, where his old boxing coach Phil Sutcliffe lost a brother in a drug deal gone bad. Any mysteries about him can be solved on his home turf: an area named Crumlin, built in the 1930s just south of Dublin's center, when the government tore down the inner-city tenements and needed a new place to house the poor. The Irish revolutionary writer Brendan Behan was one of those moved there, and he described his new home as a place "where they eat their young."

Dublin is best understood by exploring its many divisions, its unending physical and mental boundaries. The city, and its current champion, McGregor, are defined by those limits. It's a clannish, parochial place. Crossing the wrong street has traditionally been reason enough for an ass-whipping. Men have had to drop dates off at bus stops instead of walking them all the way home. About 60 boxing clubs still dot the city, training kids to defend themselves and their block, each gym a world unto itself. Sutcliffe, who runs the historic Crumlin Boxing Club, where Conor got his start, remembers growing up in the next project over, in Drimnagh. The neighboring, rival communities of Crumlin and Drimnagh are within the gritty Dublin 12 postcode, separated only by Crumlin Road, which runs on an east-west diagonal. Sutcliffe, who boxed in the 1980 and '84 Olympics, wanted to train in the Crumlin gym, which had better coaches. He beat up men who tried to stop him from crossing Crumlin Road.

"Not on me own," he says modestly. "With my brothers.""

The article is written by a man called Wright Thompson and it's too funny. It's so strange to have an area I grew up in being described as one might a deprived area of any of the U.S.'s cities. It's a long article but a good laugh with very little truth in it.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 53
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/14/2017 8:11:55 AM
Scarey
"You thought you had it bad growing up in the Liverpool of the 50's And 60's, you should read this article written by an American about the hardship of growing up in Dublin

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseMcGregor/conor-mcgregor-shaped-dublin-roots-prepares-fight-floyd-mayweather"

I have forwarded this article on to one of the lads from the football. Irish Mark. He is a Dublin lad. I shall let ye know his views on the article.

As for Scottish teams playing in englandshire the tv companies would be ecstatic if the plastic paddies of celtic and the deranged huns of rangers were allowed to play in the leagues. The amount of satellite tv they could sell would be immense.

The gruesome twosome can regularly fill their stadia with 50/60 thousand. However. After the hun orc hordes wrecked manchester when rangers played zenit st petersburg which english city would want them?

Then the great unwashed from the east of the weege with their ira fixation. Every hoolie in englandshire would be out to kick the shit out of them.

However the saintly Hibernian FC would be a wonderful addition methinks. Our manager Neil Lennon has now recieved death threats from the orcs because we slapped them on saturday.

They are accusing us the saintly Hibernian FC of over gloating. He he and indeed he.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 54
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/14/2017 8:48:38 AM
No, I don't think I had it bad, I had it pretty much "working class" for the time. The story is interesting and I look forward to Vlad's mates reaction.

There was a discussion about Scottish teams playing in the best league in the world but i think the worry was that the SFL would collapse without the revenue brought in by Celtic Rangers. Then there were the issues of which leagie they would start in and which one could they be relegated to, all a bit messy.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 56
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/14/2017 9:44:31 AM
Attendance and TV money I think. A quick google comes up with this http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1581957-premier-league-why-rangers-and-celtic-should-not-join-the-english-system which seems to support what I thought but I am sure there are opposing views too.

There is also the issue of where they would start in the leagues. one suggestion is to create a new fifth league and play in that. I doubt many of their players would hang around for at least 4 years before getting the chance to play in the top flight.

Swansea and Cardiff play in the English league so no problem on that front.
 10ky
Msg: 57
football teams
Posted: 8/14/2017 10:01:30 AM
Aye. Celtic are more than good for the premier imo. Show those tea-sippin English protestant (censored) how football oughta be played. Catholic blood raging in our veins! Yaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!! Freedoooommmmmmmmmm!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 58
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/15/2017 12:36:02 AM
Chapster
"There is also the issue of where they would start in the leagues. one suggestion is to create a new fifth league and play in that. I doubt many of their players would hang around for at least 4 years before getting the chance to play in the top flight."

Personally i think before i pop my clogs we will see european leagues. Tv is dictating the game. The amounts of money being thrown around are jaw dropping. Scottish football usd to be seen as a joke in englandshire as only celtic or rangers won the league. Then if course only man u or chelski made it a two team league dahn sahf. But now maybe four sides are in contention.

I think in the near future we will see a top tier of the top euro clubs and a second tier of the nearly but not quites. This will mean national leagues will be much like englandshires conference league.

I'm no great lover of celtic but they achieved something when they won the european cup in that ALL their players were born within a short radius of the weege.

This gadgie is going culture vulture tonight and going to see transpotting the play at the conference centre. Why mention that? Because the mighty Hibernian FC are all the way through it.

Pauline
I read on the other thread about your ma. Hope all goes well. I seldom post on threads like that as i prefer politics or football. But you and yours have my good wishes.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 59
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/15/2017 11:55:17 PM
Chapster
I got a mail back from irish mark last night. I'll see him at the game on saturday in the Leith San Siro. But here be his take........

"That gang stuff has always been fairly mental in Dublin. Crumlin is not that rough, not a project, my brother lives up there, the gang**** all know one another and it doesn't really affect anyone else. They don't really fight though, it's all guns and bombs.
I like him, hard****
See you soon."

One of the rangers following orcs has been arrested for threatening to shoot our manager neil lennon. They hate him because he is a northern irish catholic. Two prods from over the water were jailed for sending him a bomb through the post. Ah well.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 61
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/16/2017 4:53:04 AM
That's great news, really great.
 patriciaanne55
Msg: 62
football teams
Posted: 8/16/2017 9:16:04 AM
So glad to hear that Pauline, you have surely gone through an awful time waiting for that great news, now take care of you xxx
 Jacknher
Msg: 63
football teams
Posted: 8/16/2017 12:38:33 PM
Great news Pauline. :)
 vlad dracul
Msg: 64
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/16/2017 11:45:45 PM
Following on from Everton and their community involvement i feel i need to mention my own club Hibernian FC. A few years back we played dnipro from the ukraine in the euefa cup. Some of our supporters went to a childrens home and were appalled at the lack of basics they had. Cue the dnipro appeal. Theh collect cash at home games at Easter Road. They have adopted many orphanages. They brought some of the bairns and staff over here on holiday. The first holiday the bairns had ever had.

This wee story below. Dare yous to watch the clip and no have a greet. And for us Scots on here there is a youtube clip of the bairns first taste of irn bru.

There is class. Then there is Hibernian FC class............

"Natalie organised the purchase of a new bike, but it was kept a secret from the orphanage. She arrived for a visit on Saturday, to see how the orphanage and the kids were getting along. After greeting the family she invited them outside for a small gift .. and she tells us that the look on the boy's faces when they received their new gift was a sight to behold .. and she also says their were genuine tears of joy from the orphanage "parents" at such a wonderful gift for the boys.

EDIT: I've added the video of when the boys saw the bike. They are that stunned at getting something so nice and new they are actually unsure about touching it. If you think you can hold your emotions in then keep watching and see how you manage when you see the orphanage mother shedding tears .. and how the oldest boy reacts when he sees this.

https://youtu.be/XcXG-yB8Ck4

Ps
The family is the whole orphanage. They are part of the Hibees family.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 65
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/17/2017 2:14:47 AM
I watched it Vlad, well done everyone.

The next video up was "Romanians taste Irn bru for the first time". I couldn't watch grown ups torturing lids like that so stopped there.

vlad dracul
Msg: 67
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/17/2017 3:20:33 AM
Chapster
"The next video up was "Romanians taste Irn bru for the first time". I couldn't watch grown ups torturing lids like that so stopped there."

Did the clip start with a wee lassie saying it tasted like banana? Plenty Hibees strips on show there mate.

And you, you, you savage. How can you no like irn bru? As my photies show I'm a dab hand at eating from the chippie.

All our chippies used to be Italian owned. That was their heyday. Those through the west have salt n vinegar on their chips. We in the Capital have salt n sauce. Brown sauce diluted with vinegar.

A fish supper wi salt n sauce, 2 pickled onions (for a usually pickled me) a buttered roll and a bottle of irn bru.

You have never lived mate. You EVER come to Edinburgh and the treat is on me.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 69
view profile
History
football teams
Posted: 8/17/2017 4:03:01 AM
I went to Oban many (about 40) years ago, had fish n chips there on the promenade. Highly amusing as the choice was trout, salmon or cod!

Tried the Irn Bru too - errr?

I'm from Merseyside and my mate keeps telling me that they always have chips and gravy there and I keep telling him not, or at least when I lived there 40 years ago. Am going back next month, will see if things have changed.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >