Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sleeping with someone on the first date...are they LTR material?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 226
Sleeping with someone on the first date...are they LTR material? Page 10 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
"My five speed 90 mustang was great-zip-zip-zip, my 72 fast back mustang colorado car more to my liking- my little 4 cylinder aveo clown car, boy could i pass on highway lol...My first car a 71, 350 or 400 can't remember, 8 cylinder automatic impala- o-60mph in seconds flat- i raced trains at crossings...got out of most any jam purely with power- even if the tires were bald. 72 monte carlo all power everything nice luxury ride but lacked power. "

>>>gosh darn, but I enjoy listening to a lady talk sexy! the first mustang you mentioned, they are tin cans, nice and light and tossable. The Imp, a friend of my parents had one, so we rode every other Saturday night in the back seat to some restaurant or another. talk about a living room on wheels. Surprised the Monte lacked power, maybe it was a 2 barrel 350?

as for LH's nose for men, i'll take a WAG that her selection process achieved some goal, conscious or unconscious. Perhaps she had a need to feel better than the men she dated, and so she sabatoged herself in some way?
 NewYorker58
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/1/2017 7:14:09 PM
A seasoned hiker shouldn't ever suffer from hypothermia unless they hurt themselves and get stuck on a trail. Hiking is all about being prepared. If you take someone with you that's not experienced, you make sure they have all the proper gear with them.
 Inicia
Msg: 228
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/2/2017 6:55:13 AM
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
"Wild is Cheryl Strayed's memoir of her 1,100 mile solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail"- Wikipedia( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild:_From_Lost_to_Found_on_the_Pacific_Crest_Trail
Country, United States of America) she had never attempted any hiking previously- it was a great read, maybe a little LCD at times, and would not necessarily jive with extremely conservative ideology.. but i enjoyed it...I have no interest in hiking, yet this book did inspire a curiosity- maybe a bucket list item.. lol
 forumfishonly
Msg: 229
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/2/2017 8:02:41 AM
Hiking is enjoyable, but certainly not the be all/ end all of excitement like that dingbat made it out to be 😒
 Inicia
Msg: 230
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/2/2017 8:36:44 AM
she did approach hiking as a dingbat- i will give you that. I did not see much excitement in her adventures, skilled and proficient writer- yes-able to keep readers interested. the experiences she recounted- very clearly- addressed her limited capabilities and lack of skill in the hiking arena.. She never disclaimed being a dingbat.

But as a challenge of self perceptions and personal growth- this book meets the mark. - to experience nature personally, with little interaction with other people yeah- i think any sabbatical from human interaction could be revealing of self! in addition, provide insight of/to interpersonal relationships. Both are contemplative experiences I do enjoy.
starving siddartha was a dingbat too! As i said LCD does not appeal to all, as well as it would probably not be an appealing book to a conservative mind. She was taking a radical approach towards liberating her own limits and struggles of/with self.

I have no desire to experience ECT therapy but Sylvia Plath "the Bell Jar" was very interesting and detailed account of personal experience of a radical approach to find liberation from depression and her personal struggles with such. I will not be putting that on my bucket list lol. But hiking sure,I know many people who find it rewarding

- for me "end all/be all" is death, cannot read any accounts of such, so just have take this trip until that bucket list item arrives. lol
 from site to sight
Msg: 231
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/2/2017 10:38:35 AM
I recall a story from LH, where she said she made a hiking date with some new guy who said he was into hiking. But she soon found out the guy was lying about being an experienced hiker, because he didn't bring a roll of toilet paper with him among his supplies. If I'm required to bring my own toilet paper on a date, count me out. I got used to having indoor plumbing and a bathroom, as opposed to doing it in the wild.
 gtomustang
Msg: 232
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/2/2017 1:32:31 PM
Wasn't the movie Wild, something about how the main character had an addiction or some such thing and the travel was in part to understand or escape it? There was another movie about moron in the wilderness, called Into the Wild

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_%28film%29

He meets interesting people along the way, but in the end, he didn't do his research, and (Spoiler) eats poisoned berries and dies. For some of us adults, watching a spoiled rich kid abandon his caring parents, and ignore good advice b/c he's a little too c0cky isn't entertaining.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/2/2017 5:47:49 PM
There is a feeling you get from hiking that has to be experienced, even if one were to try to put it in words. It would be like trying to explain what it's like to eat ice cream to someone, the taste and texture. As soon as you hit the trail, you smell the earth and the plants around you. As you're walking the trail, for some it's spiritual and for others it's a direct connection to God as they feel closer to God walking around in what he created. You get a certain peacefulness and solitude if you choose a trail that's not popular.

Then there are the features on your hike which could be flowers if you go in the spring or summer or waterfalls or walking up to glaciers and seeing them right at your feet, seeing wild animals in their natural environment and just seeing things that you will never see unless you do that hike. Pictures don't do justice and there aren't pictures of every place that a person can go hiking. It's about the experience and experiencing it firsthand. There's nothing like camping on the beach and waking up to that. Most could not afford to buy a house where you could put a tent and get those kinds of beautiful views.

I've hiked areas along the Pacific Ocean where I saw no one but did see raccoons collecting mussels off of rocks on the beach, which I was able to do also and then cook them right there and then. People who expect to do that can bring garlic and butter with them and even bread. I've done a hike call the Enchanted Valley, land of a thousand waterfalls, where you walk across a long and high suspension bridge while surrounded by numerous waterfalls.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 234
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/2/2017 6:01:42 PM
But look how she impacted.. since we can quote her
I figure the gun is hers
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 235
view profile
History
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 5:43:38 AM
As much as people like to romanticize hiking, anyone who grew up in a rural area just called it 'A walk outside'.

I think it's hilarious how people define their wilderness experience by traveling to designated wilderness areas and parks to 'find' nature, like that's something exclusive and elite. People LIVE in those kinds of environments every day - and some much harsher areas around the world.

Don't get me wrong - it is very cool to find a quiet spot where it's just you and your thoughts and the critters of the earth - and we all have our own idea what that is like - but forcing that as a single issue why you are special or elite to the dating meat market is silly. It's kind of like defining your individuality by your shoes and nothing else. Or sleeping on the first date. It really does not make you better or worse - its how you handle it going forward that matters.
 from site to sight
Msg: 236
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 6:03:41 AM
Hiking in the middle of nowhere is fine, but how many people would be willing to do it while not having their smartphone and not being able to get reception on it? That, to a lot of people, is a life or death situation. People will hike up to the point when reception starts to fade. Then it's time to get back within cell tower range.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 6:33:54 AM
@ Inicia #231
You appear to be speaking about Cheryl from Wild but FYI everyone else is speaking about a former forumite named LH. A real piece of work.
 Walts
Msg: 238
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 7:24:09 AM

Hiking in the middle of nowhere is fine, but how many people would be willing to do it while not having their smartphone and not being able to get reception on it?

I don't stop until I lose reception on the phone. I don't go fishing for just the fish. I go to get away from people, which means getting as far away from the essentials as possible. The farther away you get, the more "interesting" are the people that you do actually meet. Having no toilet paper is not the end of the world in the big picture. I mean, seriously????? LH was a classic in that she felt the stories/tales she told put her above those that didn't do as she did. I do know I had conversations with her about what "in shape" actually meant when she was constantly bragging about her accomplishments.
During my fishing trips, adventures, I am usually alone. With that, I am usually pretty quiet which brings with it a lot of critter encounters. I've had face to face meet ups with moose, deer, bobcat, lynx, bears (blackies and griz), river otters, porcupine, elk, bighorn sheep, just to name a few that I remember. Never have I felt threatened, including the one Griz visit when he walked in behind me onto a gravel bar while I was caught up in mindlessly tossing feathers at the finned creatures. He made sure I knew I was on his piece of water with his actions but, wasn't as aggressive as he could have been. I gave him his space, and continued to saunter by me while I stared, a little shaken at his size, and obvious strength. He didn't smell all the great either. (don't think he was using his toilet paper)
 MsSkeezix
Msg: 239
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 9:19:49 AM
sweet danimal wrote in part:

As much as people like to romanticize hiking, anyone who grew up in a rural area just called it 'A walk outside'.

I think it's hilarious how people define their wilderness experience by traveling to designated wilderness areas and parks to 'find' nature, like that's something exclusive and elite

+1 SD
The most recent hilarious thing is that a simple meandering walk in the woods is now given a special name--- 'Forest Bathing'---I suppose in order to monetize the experience. There are even folks who set themselves up as 'Forest Bathing Therapists', to guide you on your journey.
(Take off your shoes, feel the grass, feel the pine needles under your feet, breathe<<<<<<)

;-) hahaha
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 240
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 9:25:44 AM
I wonder if she ended up getting into hiking because so many men told her to go take a hike.
 Walts
Msg: 241
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 9:41:54 AM

The most recent hilarious thing is that a simple meandering walk in the woods is now given a special name--- 'Forest Bathing'---I suppose in order to monetize the experience. There are even folks who set themselves up as 'Forest Bathing Therapists', to guide you on your journey.
(Take off your shoes, feel the grass, feel the pine needles under your feet, breathe<<<<<<)

We've got a spot here in Vancouver that is now a craze. It's called the Grouse Grind and supposedly it's something every Vancouver resident HAS TO DO!!!!!!!! Though there are always people on it, every year there are still a few that have to be "rescued" while trying to do whatever the hell they are doing.

My hikes involve getting to or from a piece of water. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Always entertaining but, not for the faint of heart. Falling down a canyon, hurts. Not only the body but, sometimes the fishing rods.
 south_city
Msg: 242
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 10:02:21 AM

But I have to agree with Pig on this one. She was really fond of trashing the men she met. I would not want to join that brigade, and have her trash me the way she did every man she met.

Most first dates / meetings not leading to a LTR or even a second date can be common due to the nature of OLD. However when a person constantly complains about bad dates, at the very least they should reevaluate their dating criteria. Also LH was smug towards people that didn't match her requirements such as not having a college degree. There is a difference between not being interested or attracted in someone and being condescending towards someone. The latter is uncalled for.

As for hiking, there are parks / woods in suburban areas where I can go without losing cell service.
 gtomustang
Msg: 243
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 10:07:00 AM
Whether I lived in a city, or out in the sticks, the best part of biking was Getting Away From It All, and Having A Change Of Scenery. Toss the ol' concrete and steel frame 10 speed from my youth into the back of the Mustang, drive over to a rails-to-trails path, and go for a few hours. I prefer biking to walking b/c you cover more distance, fewer mosquitos, and just like life, if you work hard enough, you can coast and take a rest sometimes.

If the scenery is nice, that helps a lot--who likes a boring ride? And if you get sore enough for the endorphins to kick in, that's awesome. But its the whole "leave the cellphone behind, don't do something stupid that makes you need a medi-chopper to save your ass" that clears your mind. Leave the kids and the spouse and the BS behind. Get some fresh air, get your heart pumping.

if its Zen for you, great! Most people can't even figure out what helps them relax. As a country boy, tho, I can say there's a difference between being outside and sitting on top of a mountain ridge (to avoid vertigo) while looking across a valley turning colors in autumn.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 244
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 10:24:17 AM

Most people can't even figure out what helps them relax.

Dating a massage therapist helped me figure it out.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 245
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 11:29:22 AM
^^^I wondered what happened to my favourite lippy!

Hiking sounds like more hard work than I'm used to.
Rambling is more my cup of tea....ramble = long aimless walk.
One term you don't hear nowadays is shanks's pony.
 Inicia
Msg: 246
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 11:36:34 AM
I do not know anything of LH. seems she produced a lot of salient memories for those exposed- sound like interesting experience-- i have nothing to contribute on her internet persona..Avoid assuming any perception of such.
Indeed I was referring to Cheryl Strayed, a readily available published author.

In my rural area, even a drive on public roads can result in no cell service. lol Many rural areas lack a technological footprint, due to sparse populations: therefore, an unwillingness to supply as demand will not provide or even assure reimbursement for such business ventures.

For many years in my home cell service was not available nor cable tv or satellite. cable just recently ( last 8-10 yrs) extended to some of my area, satellite is often available where cable is not, in this area.I often do not take, or use my cell phone outside of my home. When it was not available, i had only a land line and had no cell.:many friends and family supported the safety provided with mobile services- as advice, concern, and encouragement.

I take walks in the woods- yet this is not what i consider hiking- to me hiking would entail a backpack, survival gear and an extended period of time in nature. days (overnight) weeks or months. that is the idea i find moderately appealing. I do not see such an endeavor as stress relief- yet walking in woods definitely stress reliever for me- provided-no deliverance banjo music. (lol)

like your new pic Pig... massage therapy! much different with a trained professional, then massages given or received via a paramour with no training. and the intention: often looking for a different kind of stress relief...lol
 MsSkeezix
Msg: 247
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 11:57:23 AM
Inicia wrote:
Indeed I was referring to Cheryl Strayed, a readily available published author.

I read her book. I could almost feel every step she took on her blistered bleeding feet. I was curious about her water purifying gear---take muddy creek water and make it potable? I got a kick out of her 'revelation' that after she was done reading a page out of the book(s) she brought along to read or guide her, she could rip it out and burn it, use it for TP or whatever. She did not have to haul the 'already read parts' with her to the end of the trail! Brilliant~
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 248
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 12:12:24 PM

massage therapy! much different with a trained professional

You can say that again. We had a ritual every Sunday where she would give them to me just before cooking Italian for dinner. There were a few times I fell asleep on the table not long after she was done, and I am never one to fall asleep in the middle of the day.
 backcreek7
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 12:17:38 PM
" I walk alone ~ my shadow is the only one, that walks beside me " ~ Boulevard of Broken Dreams > Greenday

turn it up !

I enjoy hiking too, usually with my sweetheart daughter Hayley. We enjoy spots of beauty, the less people there, the better ...
Currently I troll a beautiful, deep mountain lake near here...
Takes one hour, before I turn around and head back ~ just puttin' along ~ listening to music, waiting for Z " big one" to bend a rod in half ...
so, it's a 2 hour ride ( wi -fi available, which I need because I'm always on call )
It's full of bald eagles, ooms and is a bfp ( oodles of mountains & a bears favorite playground )
Two rods, one on each side ~ in trolling brackets, 150 yards of line out on each ...
It's a small 14ft. jon boat, 9.9 Yamaha outboard ...
Nice and cozy, 2 are comfortable ...
Got 30 pounds of filet walleye / largemouth bass in the freezer ...

OMG !!!! Speaking of heaven, on earth ...
* pinch me please ~ col
YOUCH !!!!
 _babblefish
Msg: 250
Bear necessity
Posted: 9/3/2017 12:24:28 PM

rip it out and burn it

burn it? not brilliant, actually rather stupid, never start a fire in the bush and don't leave anyTHING behind ..ever

my province is on fire; as of Aug 31, the man caused elephant hill fire is over 180,000 hectares in size and to date is not contained
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sleeping with someone on the first date...are they LTR material?