Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Odd man out      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Odd man outPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Studies show that the percentage of smokers is higher among doctors and nurses than in the general population. It's thought that this is due to the high stress of those occupations.

So, the best way to relieve "high stress", which is not good for your health, is to engage in another self-destructive behavior which is not good for your health.

Makes sense to me.

Not.

Sure, they care about their own health, but they're addicted.

What happened to "actions speak louder than words?"

but they're addicted.

Were they born "addicted"?

Or they just couldn't read that little warning label from the Surgeon General on every pack?

I find it amusing how so many people spend millions/billions of dollars getting addicted, and then spend millions trying to kick the addiction.
Would be more productive to make the effort to not get addicted in the first place.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Odd man out
Posted: 5/5/2019 1:54:01 PM

And then when I try to hang out with the ladies who do things within my budget, it usually involves drinking and smoking and conversation about things that don't interest me.

You shouldn't go on some wacky stereotype assessment because of that. Oh, girls on my budget smoke. I don't want to hang with any who are on my budget. Yep, no stereotyping issue there. :)

I don't buy the crap that people try to spout about people learning to be happy on their own. I think for some people, maybe that's an option, but I do not want to be alone.

And that is why you continue to be unhappy, tho. You have to Unlearn what you have "learned". You sticking to some things because your "gut" tells you it's so -- is the blockade for positive development.

If you can't be happy on your own, you're not going to be happy with someone else in the long run. And no, you're not happy with someone when it's a "pick your poison" scenario, and you'd rather be in a relationship than out of it.

You need to realize that being in a relationship, in and of itself, has Zero Positive Value. You have to put on the big girl pants and be independently minded on the emotional level -- which requires one not to Want to chase being in a relationship. in and of itself. You already did that. Wasn't good. Stop trying to prove to yourself you're "worth it" by getting in another one for the sake of "winning". It's not about that.

You shouldn't want to be out on the dance floor, if you don't know how to dance yet.
 julystorm22
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Odd man out
Posted: 5/5/2019 2:48:16 PM
I think it was definitely part of the medical workplace culture back in the day not to smoke. However, nowadays it isn't. Of 91 nursing staff in my home care office, I know of 5 who smoke and the youngest of those is 46. And when I worked in the nursing home, almost all of them were older as well. I suspect in 10 years you might not see any nursing staff who smoke. The ones that do, I think, must start to feel socially isolated now because there are so few and they spend their breaks alone outdoors (and half the year in the cold winter weather) smoking while everyone else sits and visits in the breakroom. Whereas before when most of their co-workers smoked, it was part of the social atmosphere.
 cooldog65
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Odd man out
Posted: 5/5/2019 10:32:55 PM

The ones below age 45 that smoke in the designated smoking spots on the hospital centre (and nursing home and health care centre) grounds tend to be the support services staff such as kitchen and cleaning staff, basically the lower-paying and unskilled jobs.

All jobs at a hospital have importance.
 SomewhereInTheStratosfere
Msg: 79
Odd man out
Posted: 5/6/2019 4:04:15 AM

The ones below age 45 that smoke in the designated smoking spots on the hospital centre (and nursing home and health care centre) grounds tend to be the support services staff such as kitchen and cleaning staff, basically the lower-paying and unskilled jobs.

July, I don't like to point out the obvious, because it tends to end me up in hot water, but the job you do isn't exactly highly skilled either. Here in Ontario its about a 6 month course. Hospital jobs also pay very well for kitchen staff and cleaning staff. Not to mention the pension and benefits. As a matter of fact, those jobs in a hospital setting here, would pay more to start than the top out rate for a home care job. When I use to work in that job, we use to joke that you could train a monkey to do it. That's why many of us left, just no challenge, never mind the poor working conditions.

For a divorced, single woman, with three children, living in social housing, you seem to be judging and looking down at others a lot. Maybe this is why you can't find the partner you so badly seek. There just isn't one good enough.
 julystorm22
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Odd man out
Posted: 5/6/2019 11:16:47 AM
I didn't say those jobs were less important, just that they are lower-paying and require no education. For example, in my job I make 23 to 26 dollars an hour while a support staff gets maybe 14 to 16 dollars an hour. And to get a CCA job, nowadays, even though there is only a requirement of Grade 12 plus a 1-year certificate, the startling reality is that many of the new hires have 4 year university degrees or more. I know of 5 doctors working in my health region as CCAs who were foreign-trained and do not yet have their Canadian licenses for practicing medicine. The benefits are really good too so a lot of people try to get their foot in the door with a health authority job. Private care pays peanuts in comparison. Also, because I am in home care, I make more money than someone in long term care because I have additional training. These days, home care is mostly giving medication, doing post hospital care, personal care and some basic meal prep. Its turned into a more skilled job as the province doesn't want to hire more registered nurses or lpns yet the population of seniors is increasing rapidly.

I am not a snob. I was just saying a lot of the smokers in the Under 45 demo are the lower income people. And that fact is backed up with data. For some reason, younger smokers are often in the low income demo across the bored, especially in Canada. And yes, I am judgmental about younger smokers. We grew up in a day and age where we knew how bad smoking was yet there are still some people who made that decision to start up and despite different incentives to do so, they haven't quit. Now, most people my age I know that smoked have quit but a certain amount remain. And yes I judge. I hate being around smoking and I look at people who continue to smoke a certain way. Now, I have an aunt I love that smokes but it has long bothered me that she smoked.
 SomewhereInTheStratosfere
Msg: 81
Odd man out
Posted: 5/6/2019 2:14:29 PM

For example, in my job I make 23 to 26 dollars an hour while a support staff gets maybe 14 to 16 dollars an hour.

Interesting, this is what I found, for an Assistant Cook in Saskatchewan
RHA Job Number:GO-00564889
Number of Vacancies:1
Profession:Assistant Cook
Management:No
Employer:SHA (Heartland)
Community:Unity
Hours to International Airport:2.0
Community Website:http://townofunity.com/
Facility Name:Unity and District Health Centre
Department:Food Services
Employment Type:Permanent
Employment Term:Part Time
Posting Date:April 30, 2019
Closing Date:May 7, 2019 21:30
Hours of Work:Shift Information: Days, Evenings, Weekends
164.92 hours per 12 week rotation
Rate of Pay:Pay Band 10 $20.540 to $21.980 (3 step range)
Union Name:SEIU

This is What I found for a C.C.A
HOME CARE
Department:HOME CARE - ROCKGLEN
Employment Type:Permanent
Employment Term:Casual
Posting Date:November 6, 2018
Closing Date:November 6, 2019 17:00
Hours of Work:Shift Information: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Rate of Pay:Pay Band 12 $21.610 to $23.170 (3 step range)
Union Name:SEIU
Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of wage difference between a Assistant cook and a C.C.A.

And to get a CCA job, nowadays, even though there is only a requirement of Grade 12 plus a 1-year certificate, the startling reality is that many of the new hires have 4 year university degrees or more. I know of 5 doctors working in my health region as CCAs who were foreign-trained and do not yet have their Canadian licenses for practicing medicine. The benefits are really good too so a lot of people try to get their foot in the door with a health authority job.

Your C.C.A. is the same as a P.S.W here in Ontario. When I worked in this field there were R.N's working as P.S.W.'S, not because it required rocket scientists but because, as you say, they were cutting nursing hrs. RN's could get more hrs working as P.S.W's. Those foreign trained Dr's are not working as C.C.A.'s because the job demands brains. It's because it's probably the only health care related field they are qualified to work in until their licenses come thru. As there are probably a lot of over qualified people looking for jobs, employers can be choosey. This is what is driving up the qualifications people have who are doing this job. It doesn't take a degree to clean poop.

Also, because I am in home care, I make more money than someone in long term care because I have additional training. These days, home care is mostly giving medication, doing post hospital care, personal care and some basic meal prep. Its turned into a more skilled job as the province doesn't want to hire more registered nurses or lpns yet the population of seniors is increasing rapidly.

Please don't try to say you are way more highly trained than the average C.C.A working in a nursing home. I worked in both homecare and long term care. P.S.W. or C.C.A. certificates qualify you to do both. Actually, here, homecare is considered bottom tier. It's where people go to get some experience before working in nursing homes. I know what someone doing that type of work does. Personal Care, medication monitoring, helping people with mobility, changing catheter bags, caregiver relief. Those are just some of the duties but they do not require a high degree of skill to complete. This is NOT a highly skilled field of work. I think the assistant cook required a 6 month certificate.
I will agree that Homecare probably keeps their staff more up to date with a little added education, eg. lifting techniques, Alzheimer and dementia education, but this still doesn't make it a highly skilled job.

We grew up in a day and age where we knew how bad smoking was yet there are still some people who made that decision to start up and despite different incentives to do so, they haven't quit.

We also know how bad being overweight is, yet people still continue to make the decision not to exercise and over eat. Despite all the help and incentives there is to do this, they still continue to be overweight. Everyone has their vices, I guess.
 julystorm22
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Odd man out
Posted: 5/6/2019 8:54:18 PM
Obesity is a lot different. People don't choose to be obese. I've struggled with my weight for years and I've always had a reasonably good diet and exercised. Our genes can play a big role in whether we are prone to weight gain. Smokers willingly pay to kill themselves. It was their choice to start smoking and it is their choice to continue smoking. And save me the b.s. that its too addictive. Many many many people quit smoking. Smokers who won't quit just don't want to quit.

Assistant cooks actually need to take the 2-year diploma. It's not 6-months here. And not everyone in certain job titles make those wages you listed above. It depends on which union you are in and there are 3 unions in Saskatchewan for public health care workers in my job category. And it depends on which step you are in. I started at $21 an hour but now I'm at $23 plus wage premiums which total over $3 an hour when I work evenings and weekends. And home care assistants do get a lot more extra training than ccas in longtem care. I worked for years in nursing homes and you don't get to do a lot of the nursing tasks you get to do in home care.

My job may technically only need a 1-year certificate but what you were saying above is correct. Because there are so many people with high education not able to get jobs they are qualified for, they apply to jobs like mine because the pay and benefits are good. Because there are so many applicants with higher education, it is pretty competitive to get one of these jobs. In my opinion, my university education was a waste of money. Too many university-educated people are working jobs completely unrelated to their education because its a lot of the technical jobs which exist and pay better. Although, I know that my university education has actually gotten me a few good jobs even though those jobs were unrelated
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Odd man out