Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Post your unpopular opinions here.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cynderella
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Post your unpopular opinions here. Page 10 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
By the way Mr. Pig....
I'm the Kitty Whisperer
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 227
Post your unpopular opinions here.
Posted: 11/9/2017 3:54:10 PM

Oh, it will take more than whispering to tame this feline equivalent of the Tasmanian Devil.
 gtomustang
Msg: 228
Posted: 11/10/2017 4:44:40 AM
goodness, stop playing so hard to get :)

Had to do rush hour traffic, and realized one sign of getting old is when you aren't in a rush on the highway anymore. not sure that is really an unpopular opinion.
 whosmeow
Msg: 229
Posted: 11/10/2017 4:56:55 AM
Another sign of getting old is I don't like leggings. Too many women should not be wearing them. I don't care how comfortable they are. On a lot of people they just look trashy.
 backcreek7
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2017 7:35:35 AM
......... ~ I'm not quite so sure, why so many think that Jimi Hendrix was such a great guitar player. Granted, maybe he would have gotton better and better, if he had lived. I'm not familiar with the totality of all his music, but what I have heard - sometimes sounded like abstract noise, especially live at times. So, I would ask sir pig ~ of his opinion .... I mean, many seem to think he was the greatest ever ~ maybe I'm over thinking it, but I just can't see ( hear ) it ???

Here's a bit of nice guitar work, in my op ....
the PETER GUNN THEME ~ by ROY BUCHANAN ( youtube - live )

turn it up ^
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 231
Posted: 11/10/2017 8:29:40 AM

I'm not quite so sure, why so many think that Jimi Hendrix was such a great guitar player. Granted, maybe he would have gotton better and better, if he had lived. I'm not familiar with the totality of all his music, but what I have heard - sometimes sounded like abstract noise, especially live at times. So, I would ask sir pig ~ of his opinion

Oh, this is a big one, and interestingly, this is a situation where I can understand both the side claiming he's overrated and the side claiming he's not.

One thing that can't be denied is the innovation factor. Imagine what being alive and hearing him for the first time must have been like. It had to be utter confusion for many. A feeling of being torn. Not knowing whether to be horrified or mesmerized. This is precisely how the true innovators leave listeners feeling at first. It can also be said that anyone who is a rock guitarist *is* influenced by Jimi Hendrix, but they just don't know it. Even if they claim to not like Hendrix, it's almost guaranteed they were influenced by someone who did. A domino effect in a sense. Jimi was also an undeniable showman.

Now, here's where I begin to gravitate toward the "he's overrated" camp. The notion he's an untouchable "God" who has never been equaled and never will be is simply absurd to me, and is a sure sign anyone making this claim is living in a sentimentality bubble. Yes, we all understand how subjective the matter is, but claims of this nature lack any true sense of objectivity.
 backcreek7
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2017 11:04:47 AM
~ A showman yes, maybe one of the best - especially revered by an up and coming " drug culture ". And it seems possible, the more stoned we were, the better it sounded, col.

So , I ask you this my friend ..... on a scale of 1 thru ten .... How good ( in your opinion ) was Jimi " technically " on guitar, as compared to known, great guitar players?

My opinion ~ a 5 at the most MAYBE & do you know how long he played with an " upside down " guitar and - would this possibly detract from his performance, just curious ?
 deetristate
Msg: 233
Posted: 11/10/2017 7:10:23 PM
Garth Brooks is overrated.
 Kj521
Msg: 234
Posted: 11/10/2017 7:15:01 PM
^^^^What? What?

One of my all time fav songs is....The Dance!
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 235
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2017 11:49:13 PM
I like Meatloaf.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 236
Posted: 11/11/2017 12:54:37 AM

I like lasagna. Can we get some of that delivered up in this joint, for f*ck's sake?!

I am not a Garth Brooks fan, but "The Dance" is one of the best-written songs of any genre. He didn't actually write it, though.

Backcreek - I'll respond to your post later. It will be a bit lengthy, and I'm a bit loopy at the moment.

Walts
Msg: 237
Posted: 11/11/2017 3:49:47 AM
I love everything.

Except,,,,,

liver.

Kj521
Msg: 238
Posted: 11/11/2017 4:11:53 AM
"I love everything."

Does "everything" include "everyone"?

Asking for a friend. ;) ;)
 Walts
Msg: 239
Posted: 11/11/2017 5:09:17 AM

Does "everything" include "everyone"?

Are we now defining people as "things"???????

ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 240
Posted: 11/11/2017 9:19:10 AM

So , I ask you this my friend ..... on a scale of 1 thru ten .... How good ( in your opinion ) was Jimi " technically " on guitar, as compared to known, great guitar players?

I wouldn't assign a numerical rating to his technical ability, but there were far more technical players before and after Jimi. In fact, his live playing was often arrhythmic, out of tune, and sloppy. Partially his own fault, but also due to the limitations of the gear at the time. Having said that, as an admitted hardcore perfectionist, even I acknowledge that too much emphasis on cleanliness and "perfection" can sap the human element from the equation and put a damper on the ability to emote through the instrument.

However, technical ability/difficulty is a mere single facet of playing guitar. There's phrasing, dynamics, note selection, etc.

Despite his faults, he *did* create sounds with the guitar no one knew was possible, and for that, he deserves all the credit in the world, but I still vehemently disagree with the heavily romanticized notion he is an "untouchable".
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 241
Posted: 11/11/2017 1:52:19 PM

I love little baby ducks, old pickup trucks, Slow-movin' trains and rain.
And I love yoooooooou, too.

I sing this to myself in the mirror every morning.

backcreek7
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2017 5:19:02 PM
~ thank you for replying to my questions, sir pig with a beard ! I appreciate your thoughts and expertise, as usual !

" and I love yooooooou, too ....I sing this too myself every morning "
^^^ and that you should, & rightfully so !!!
^^^ reminds me of a song by popa chubby "nobody loves me, like I love myself " col..

& here's a couple songs about New York, which is in my thoughts often ...

SOMEBODY LET THE DEVIL OUT by POPA CHUBBY ( about 911 > " gonna take a long shoe, to kick him back down to hell " )
NEW YORK NEW YORK by RYAN ADAMS ( kinda like this one too " I still love you New York " )
 Sandbyday
Msg: 243
Posted: 11/12/2017 2:47:03 AM
Jimi Hendrix.

He was so different from everyone. He had major skills but not expressed in a conventional style.

Clapton would rarely differentiate from the structure of the song. Ginger Baker set the groove and Eric would do his thing up and down the neck that becomes quite predictable after a handful of songs.

Can’t say that about Hendrix.

Besides Chuck Berry I can’t think of a black rock guitar player of the time. There were many black blues and jazz guitarists but not rock and rollers.
His wardrobe was off the charts.
He played left handed.
That was different too but not as much as his left handed guitar. If you notice the headstock of his Fender Start is upside down. It was most likely the product of taking a right hander and turning it upside down and restringing it, in the beginning. But what happened is many luthiers like a friend of mine make all their strats with upside down headstock now. It gives the bass string a few more inches of length that affects the tone in a way that you can’t get from a conventional head stock.
Jimi invented that modification.

His movement was different as well. Humping the guitar, flicking the tongue out, lighter fluid flareups etc. all contributed to his onstage showmanship and innovative qualities, as mentioned in previous posts.

Just the visual alone is a major departure from the norm and different. Now throw in the complete package of raw talent, original sound and stage presence and all that’s left is the timing of being at the top of his game and well connected to the industry when Monterey Pop and Woodstock were organized. That jump started his career more that anything, in America anyway.

And remember a large population of 60’s rock fans were taking acid and other drugs. So they see this black rocker wearing handcrafted duds, playing an upside down guitar, left handed, and having a sensual relation to it - and then setting the thing on fire before smashing it to bits in a theatrical display of controlled mania.

Some of his hits like Voodo Child, Hey Joe, Wild Thing and more are nothing short of brilliant, and then he covers Bob Dylan’s Watchtower like nobody’s business.

He had a great voice, wrote his own tunes, sometimes with edgy and controversial content that wasn’t being done very much in the mainstream. He commanded the direction of the song from the first note, his band were only there to support whichever path he was going to take it, some of which he probably didn’t even know at the beginning himself. Someone like Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman or Pete Townsend didn't have that luxury through the whole show, as they were playing songs that required following the rest of the band.

He was well respected by his peers and easy to like by the public with his easy going personality. And let’s not forget his D!ck Cavett appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPrjyLhmcWI

Oh and by the way, I'm not a huge fan lol.
 deetristate
Msg: 244
Guys discussing rock
Posted: 11/12/2017 4:42:39 AM
That is one thing that I found in meeting men on this site.

Many know only music from their era and dislike the modern.

It is sort of like "I don't own a TV."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of unpopular opinions:

I lose interest in anyone ( not just dates but people in general) who says "I don't own a TV or I don't watch TV."

(This is not the same as people who have substituted such watching for doing so on their computers or other devices. )
This is a limited group of people who take pride in saying that they have never heard of Big Bang Theory, Walking Dead or Game of Thrones (which I have never seen but I know that it exists)

Have you ever had a group over to watch a game and there is that one person who says "I don't understand the rules" and when anyone tries to explain it to him or her, he or she says " I don't want to know." (usually a friend of a friend)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like brocolli
 chameleonf
Msg: 245
Guys discussing rock
Posted: 11/12/2017 6:08:47 AM
I like toasted liver sausage and onion sandwiches.
 cooldog65
Msg: 246
view profile
History
Guys discussing rock
Posted: 11/13/2017 7:51:44 AM

That is one thing that I found in meeting men on this site.

Many know only music from their era and dislike the modern.

It is sort of like "I don't own a TV."

I happen to like music from the 1960s and 1970s, especially R&B. What's wrong with that?

Billboard has lowered their standards when the most charted female artist in history is Nicki Minaj and Drake and Lil' Wayne are among the top males.

Will the current popular music have the longevity of the music of the past 40-50 years? I highly doubt it.
 gtomustang
Msg: 247
Posted: 11/13/2017 9:26:06 AM
Hendrix came up thru the blues scene, then got popular in England before returning here for the big shows, Monterey and Woodstock. Kinda a right place, right time scenario. Dying before he got a chance to suck, does make people wonder what he could have become. I'll agree with Pig, he experimented with the technology at the time, I mean, play the beginning of Voodoo Child in your head, or the end where he blends in the feedback..and imagine someone in 1969 hearing that done for the first time. Of course, a little acid in your bandana for some purple haze might help, too :)

Or playing with his teeth, or left handed, or doing the Star Spangled Banner...he was good for his moment in time. maybe its like comparing Babe Ruth to today's baseball stars, or old cars to modern ones. There's too much advancement to make it a fair comparison, and many of us will let nostalgia blind us to that. Of course, I was also impressed Peter Frampton could make a guitar "ask" if I felt like he did.

Ken Burns' doc on Vietnam raised an interesting point, how the antiwar movement benefited from the music of that era. Singing a message to a beat that is forever remembered, probably helps it stick in our mind. I think the music of our youth strikes such a chord (pun intended) b/c it was the soundtrack of our formulative years. Tho I grew up in the 1980's, so it was stuff like, say the stalker anthem, "Forget Me Not" by Bad English, or "Voices Carry" by Til Tuesday, or cawk rock like Aerosmith. I was a bit of a Queensryche fan, tho otherwise not into prog rock. But someone got me recently into a band from across the pond, Within Temptation (Cinderella reminds me of the lead singer, come to think of it), and I guess they're relatively modern considering the age of the crowd when I was able to catch them here live.

meanwhile, I heard enough Led Zep, Pink Floyd, and Doors as a kid that if they magically were banned from playing on the radio ever again...I wouldn't miss them. Like the Beatles, they were all great in their time, experimenting with sounds. But I've heard them enough and switch the channel when they are on. otherwise, today's music has as much chance of longevity as there are people who will keep liking it. Ice T may be an actor on Law and Order, but if he gave a concert i'll bet people would show up. Steven Segal probably couldn't claim the same :) Peter Noone is still doing concerts, will Justin the Beib be doing the same at that age?

I'm trying to remember the songs from the movie Baby Driver (apparently there will be a second movie? bet they're glad Kevin Spacey's character got run over), how many of those were modern songs versus old songs? Sometimes, we like to think something that is old, just has to be cool.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 248
Posted: 11/13/2017 11:03:13 AM

Within Temptation (Cinderella reminds me of the lead singer, come to think of it)

I'll be damned. I made the very same comparison the first time I saw her here on the forums years ago, too.

As for Within Temptation, I first discovered them about 13 years ago. Sharon den Adel has a great voice, very unique, and is one of the most naturally beautiful women I've ever seen.

I was a bit of a Queensryche fan

Ryche rules, although, Geoff Tate has turned out to be such a disappointment for many reasons.
 gtomustang
Msg: 249
Posted: 11/13/2017 3:55:44 PM
Cinderella, since you'll ask who we're talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_mBh5mqok

Tho I don't really figure you for a ballad chick, I can see this song being more your speed, somehow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6MpsDPKts

she gets synced up often in duet songs, which probably says all one needs to know about her singing chops. oh, and Pig, there's a video on making the video :) They're such sweet ladies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoLpRKEDVAQ

I have to say, Ryche's replacement singer sounds nearly spot on for Tate, at least live.

stepping off the nerd soap box now.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 250
Posted: 11/13/2017 5:28:19 PM
There are subtle differences in the timbre and some of the vowel modding between the two, but overall, Todd La Torre does sound a lot like Tate, and his pipes are in much better shape than Geoff's today, sadly. Geoff dodges notes everywhere today and doesn't sing the songs in the original keys. For a "thinking man band", there has always been a surprising number of women at the Queensryche shows I've been to. A good number of my exes liked them, too.

Ah, the duet with Tarja from Nightwish. When Tarja left them years ago, I was not interested in *anyone* replacing her, and I ditched the band completely after they did. But they ended up dumping the replacement, too, and now have Floor Jansen, who I grew to like more than Tarja.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Post your unpopular opinions here.