Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Post your unpopular opinions here.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cynderella
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Post your unpopular opinions here. Page 11 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
An honor to be even considered in the same category of such a beautiful and talented lady.
Love the videos.
Thanks gentlemen
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 252
Post your unpopular opinions here.
Posted: 11/14/2017 4:36:13 PM
I would definitely say it beats a comparison to Roseanne Arnold.

Sandbyday
Msg: 253
Posted: 11/16/2017 11:49:36 AM

doesn't sing the songs in the original keys.

Can you expand on that statement?

Many lyricists need to use the key that fits their vocal range.

There are a lot of songs that need to be done in the original key for optimum effect.

Also in some geners where every player needs to know quite a few standards, like folk, jazz, and rock, to play along without transcribing on the fly, it's necessary to know the original key in a play-along get together jam.

Other than that I don't see it as being a problem.

Just wondering what your opinion is on the negativity of not performing in the original key.

And if you weren't saying it as being a negative then I misinterpreted.

I'm strictly an (advanced) amateur with a very narrow vocal range and transcribe a plethora of songs just so I can stay in tune, that's why I ask.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 254
Posted: 11/16/2017 1:16:23 PM
Geoff Tate has lost a good portion of his range over the years, and it is believed to be due to smoking, which can dry out the vocal cords. After hearing many of Queensryche's songs in their original keys for so many years, then hearing them dropped a whole step, it's just not quite the same. The other version of the band has a singer who does them all in the original key, which makes Geoff look inferior.

I remember going to see Journey back in 2009 and I knew instantly they had tuned down a half step (I have perfect pitch hearing), which they had never done before. Hearing their songs dropped down threw me for a loop, too.
 Sandbyday
Msg: 255
Posted: 11/16/2017 7:06:05 PM
Thank you for the elaboration.
Perfect pitch? I'm so jealous. Do you sing?
My good friend has perfect pitch and plays uke, but when she sings it's like a tiny little songbird, she can't unload and belt it out (not too bad for harmonies though I guess). But I'm so very jealous of her too. It's a battle with me, and doesn't seem to help with practice, and I fear that it'll get worse with aging. Too bad I'm not young enough to parlay my loosing of vocal ability into the best guitarists of his genre like the one and only Tony Rice. (Was a mediocre bluegrass picker, then lost his voice, by the way he talks I would guess it to be from smoking, then became a picker with unfathomable ability.)
Here's one of my faves -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMbtWWb4UEg

To go back to your explanation, that helps for if I do get back onstage it will for lounge type acts where the audience isn't hanging on each and every note. So I wouldn't have to worry about the original key in most songs. And I certainly wouldn't have to worry about any of the massive crowd, that I'm sure to attract, having perfect pitch lol.

Thanks again dreamy pig, it was informative to me and I pretty much can relate to exactly what you're talking about.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 256
Posted: 11/16/2017 9:59:23 PM

Perfect pitch? I'm so jealous. Do you sing?

Perfect pitch is somewhat overrated. Yes, it's great to have simply because it helps with the learning by ear process tremendously, but relative pitch is just as useful, and actually CAN be developed at any time. Perfect pitch has to be developed in early childhood or it won't happen at all. There are people who claim they developed perfect pitch in adulthood, but they are either lying or don't truly understand what perfect pitch means.

As for singing, I did for a while. I took lessons for two years because I wanted to break out of the baritone box to start soaring in the tenor range. I can honestly say, for me, it was harder than learning the other instruments I play combined. However, it did become much easier when self-consciousness disappeared. Self-consciousness and the tension that comes with it as a result are one's biggest enemy in the process. When all was said and done, though, I eventually grew to hate singing.

To go back to your explanation, that helps for if I do get back onstage it will for lounge type acts where the audience isn't hanging on each and every note. So I wouldn't have to worry about the original key in most songs. And I certainly wouldn't have to worry about any of the massive crowd, that I'm sure to attract, having perfect pitch lol.

Yeah, it's really not that big an issue. You're going to have three different types of people - those who will know immediately the key is different, those who know *something* is off but can't quite pinpoint it, and those who won't notice, which will be the vast majority.

Oh, and getting back to Tommy Emanuelle, I made a new fan out of someone over the last weekend. One of my twenty-something cousins visiting from out of town. I introduced him to some of the videos on Youtube, and he yelled out "WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS GUY?!?!" From there, he spent about another hour watching more clips on his phone.
 backcreek7
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2017 11:56:04 AM
got to hand it too you ~ sir pig ...... your a multi facetted, unique type a dude
^^^^ bet it's a test for a singer, to sing passages " live " - with no back up music whatsoever
speaking of singing ? the vocalist in these two songs, rocks !

& the sax & bass ~ are OUTRAGEOUS

YOU LOOK LIKE RAIN by MORPHINE
BUENA by MORPHINE
 backcreek7
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2017 11:56:44 AM
& some more ~ cool sax
TAKE FIVE by GROVER WASHINGTON JR

& a smooth vocal ~
LIFELINE by CITIZEN COPE ( if you come lookin' for a hard time ~ hard times ain't hard to find )
 gtomustang
Msg: 259
Posted: 11/19/2017 1:17:40 PM
The only song I like by the group Orgy is "Blue Monday" (and I prefer it over the original), the only song I like by CrazyTrain is "Butterfly", and the only song I like by Nine Inch Nails is Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" (but in my defense, Trent Renzor liked it too)
 junipermoon
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2017 1:51:15 PM
i like taylor swift.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 261
Posted: 11/19/2017 2:57:44 PM

i like taylor swift.

Damn, you came in here without a care in the world and dropped this nuclear bomb on us. Boom.

Yes, the Orgy cover of ''Blue Monday'' is worlds better than New Order's.

I've never been a big NIN fan, either, even though I've always liked dark industrial music. Gary Numan does this so much better than Trent, and I bet even Trent would agree.
 deetristate
Msg: 262
Posted: 11/20/2017 3:21:57 AM
Dems won Virginia Elections because their immigration policy helps them

In 1980, the foreign born in northen virginia was 1 of 100. Now it is 1 of 9.

No wonder it feels like a foreign country when you visit D C.
 toocash
Msg: 263
Posted: 11/20/2017 8:36:03 AM

No wonder it feels like a foreign country when you visit D C.

To me, in many parts of DC, seems like the typical American Ghetto. Funny how we all have different perceptions about things.
 backcreek7
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2017 8:50:12 AM
^^^
tsk tsk dee !!! sir pig expressly mentioned ~ no political posts, col ( chuckle out loud )

my non political ~ economic un-popular opinion is ?
that around 70 % of "certain" federal employees, working in a " state " that borders Washington Dc ~ do little, if any real work ....
- what they really excel in, and get paid well for > is playing computer games, most of the day.
this ^^ I have experienced with my own two eyes ...
& we wonder why ~ the fed budget, is way out of hand ?
 deetristate
Msg: 265
Posted: 11/20/2017 10:47:34 AM
discussions about old music took over and drowned out everything else so no holds barred?.
 cooldog65
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2017 11:01:07 AM
^^^ Great music out of Philadelphia like The Orlons, The Three Degrees, and Brenda And The Tabulations just to name a few great old groups.

Diana Ross got her long overdue Lifetime Achievement Award at the American Music Awards last night. She's still beautiful at 73...
 Whisky_River
Msg: 267
Posted: 11/20/2017 11:35:41 AM
I watched as well Cool...long overdue..for sure.
She looks great for 73....note to self....Big hair...big hair...

Did anyone else think Gaga was off key last night?
Maybe my tin ear was working.:/
 deetristate
Msg: 268
Posted: 11/20/2017 1:20:31 PM
christina agulera was a bit off. she fiddled with her earplugs so maybe there was a technical problem.

Pink is slowly becoming the grand dame of all of this.

her best songs are not even played on the radio -bluesy, soulful and true rock.

SS4544Spd
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2017 1:39:40 PM
As time goes on, and it becomes more and more apparent that the undisputed preeminence and overpowering pop cultural weight of rock music (60s-90s many sub-genres) has passed us...... I get despondent......I mean, the music that was an unquestioned fact of life.....that shaped me, shaped my upbringing, shaped somewhat my view on life and how I turned out (for better or worse, lol)....was only a FRICKIN' FAD!!!!!!!.. ..I mean.....talkin' 'bout feelin' OLD!!!!!!!!

And no, I don't think rap artists belong in the R&R Hall of Fame!!!!! (Aside from riff heavy rock-rap i.e. Rage Against the Machine, et. al.) Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Truly a sign the musical apocalypse is upon us!!!!!!!
 backcreek7
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2017 2:45:21 PM
" no holds barred? "

twas just kidding dee, pig seems to be ~ an equal opportunity statesman ....
politics or not ~
& .... as far as I'm concerned,
any post of yours ~ is well worth reading ...
Hopes for a great Thanksgiving & Merry Christmas ~ for you and yours !
 forumslady
Msg: 271
Posted: 11/22/2017 6:16:54 PM
ThePigOfYourDreams- Unpopular opinion - I believe I might be one of the only people on Earth who thinks Disturbed's cover of "The Sound of Silence" is f*cking horrible. The rest of the world creamed their bottoms over it, though, and I just don't get it. It really is unbearably bad.

Well, I liked it too, but I didn't feel faint or anything over it. :D

Mine: LOVE Bob Seger, LOVE Metallica, but HATED Metallica's version of turn the page. Just, NO!
Oh, and while we are on the subject of Metallica..........
I've been a fan since Their Ride the Lightning days and I STILL don't get why some their fan base lost their minds and hated the Black album.
Ok, it was different for them, but the best musicians seek to change and grow, IMO, plus, with their latest, Self Destruct, they are back to (or close) to their old sound and the fans who discovered them BECAUSE of the Black album are STILL fans!
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 272
Posted: 11/22/2017 7:33:47 PM
Metallica is a band I have no shortage of unpopular opinions about, and boy, do I mean unpopular.

I can't stand the "And Justice for All" album. I'm a production whore through and through, and thanks to Lars, the production is horrible. However, bad production aside, I didn't particularly care for the songwriting, either. Typical metal fans HATE polished production values, so naturally, they hated the black album. Once I heard Bob Rock was going to be producing, I knew it would be a huge leap from "And Justice For All".

I am also not crazy about the "Kill 'Em All" album, either. "Master of Puppets" and "Ride the Lightning" are their two best, in my opinion.

Oh, and yes, the "Turn the Page" cover is sickening.
 forumslady
Msg: 273
Posted: 11/22/2017 8:42:45 PM
ThePigOfYourDreams- Ah, Lars.
He's a bit of an egotist, not exactly open to input. Watching his napster testimony was painful.
Things clicked with Bob Rock, but produced a sound like foreign language to Metal purists.
Personally, I like all music and didn't mind it, but preferred their sound on Master of puppets and Ride the lightning as well.
After I discovered them, I listened to their first, Kill em' all and, well, it's obvious it was their first.
I saw them in New Orleans with Faith No more and Guns and Roses. Faith No more was awful and I've never been much of a fan of them anyway, Metallica was next and their performance that night was epic, this was when James couldn't play after the pyrotechnic explosion/injury, I used to remember the name of the man who played in his place, but can't so if you know, remind me, but he did REALLY well. G&R came on at around 1 am because they took 40 minutes to come on stage, Axl Rose changed clothes 3 times AND played several songs acoustic, after Metallica, he might as well have sung a lullaby, people left in droves.

As far as metal bands, if I'm going to be a stickler and discuss purity and unpolished production, NONE top this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4

Limmie is the master!
 backcreek7
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2017 7:47:56 PM
in my unpopular opinion ~ this LOVE song below ...
( choose the top selection on youtube )
is one of the most beautiful sounding " live " performances, I've ever heard ...

seriously awesome ~ & I bet ~ this is a difficult song, to sing ....

LAGAN LOVE by SINEAD O'CONNOR

turn it up ^

oh !!! & BTW ~ stay safe over the holidays and enjoy !!!

heart / sun
 N2U16
Msg: 275
Posted: 11/23/2017 9:13:51 PM
I believe this was a box office bomb, but I remember watching this as a kid and it’s a cult classic. Loved the movie and soundtrack.

A young and always Beautiful Diane Lane
Michael Pare
Willem Dafoe
Rick Moranis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yub3-Ow7tBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHUwKW37vD8
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Post your unpopular opinions here.