Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Post your unpopular opinions here.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 101
Post your unpopular opinions herePage 5 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
"I don't like clichés"

>>esp. when they contradict themselves. He who hesitates is lost, yet good things come to those who wait? Well, which one is it? When you're a kid trying to grow up quick, you want advice that works, not platitudes that make people feel better b/c they had something "Smart" to say. But then I hate saying, "sorry for your..." b/c its doesn't feel like you're really doing anything to help....b/c there just isn't anything you can do. that's the real annoyance, the words come out of your mouth and you just feel them hit the floor.

To go a step further in what Pig posted below. perhaps "everything happens for a reason" burns us b/c we like to think the reason has to be to benefit us. Maybe the better way to say it is, "every action is a reaction"?

"people blocking the aisles"

>>>my mother used to complain about people who come off escalators or elevators and come to a complete stop to figure out WTF. Please, move out of the way. As for the "farmer's hankerchief", as an allergy sufferer, I get the point behind it (not clog up a hankerchief, yes I carry one as a result) but yeah, do that in private where its not seen.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 102
Post your unpopular opinions here
Posted: 9/29/2017 10:05:41 AM

Another nugget along those lines, it was John Lennon that said and I paraphrase - "Elvis copied Little Richard and we copied Elvis. The copy is ALWAYS better."

Completely untrue, and I've never quite understood why he has always been held in such high regard as being some sort of divine guru of peace and love. He has a well-documented past of violence against women and treated his son like garbage. He was a hypocrite and compulsive liar. Not exactly someone I would tolerate condescendingly passing down life advice to me.

I don't like it when people say "everything happens for a reason"

We do have what's known as cause and effect, and I believe that's about the extent of it. Any implication of pre-determination with this cliche' is absurd. Everything that happens in human relations is a result of someone's free will.
 deetristate
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/29/2017 11:20:31 AM
i like anchovies and sardines.

no nurseries in schools.

marriage before baby carriage is best.
 Sandbyday
Msg: 104
Posted: 9/29/2017 11:33:40 AM

Completely untrue, and I've never quite understood why he has always been held in such high regard as being some sort of divine guru of peace and love. He has a well-documented past of violence against women and treated his son like garbage. He was a hypocrite and compulsive liar. Not exactly someone I would tolerate condescendingly passing down life advice to me

I whole heartedly agree with the taking of advice from any Beatle not just John, but disagree about the copy being better. Just one example of many is Clapton copied Muddy Watters and Albert King all up and down the board but he had way better equipment, electronics, mechanics, access to voice enhancement lessons and high tech excersises for the time so of course his copy is going to sound better to the typical modern listener than a 1940s original LP.
 cooldog65
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2017 11:55:49 AM

I swear AC/DC songs rip themselves off, along with the Beach Boys doing the same thing to themselves.

I think some acts simply had their own signature sound. Motown defintely used this formula by even having the same backing track on different songs.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 106
Posted: 9/29/2017 12:14:54 PM

Just one example of many is Clapton copied Muddy Watters and Albert King all up and down the board but he had way better equipment, electronics, mechanics, access to voice enhancement lessons and high tech excersises for the time so of course his copy is going to sound better to the typical modern listener than a 1940s original LP.

This would all depend on whether you're a purist or more of a production whore. I am admittedly the latter, but not everyone else is.

I swear AC/DC songs rip themselves off

Yes, they've been undeniably samey for decades now, but they have never had any incentive to change. There's never been much demand for it, and they had no reason to risk abandoning their established fanbase. However, just for shock value, as perhaps a final bow, I wish they would do an album full of nothing but odd time signatures, non-diatonic progressions, and introspective lyrics. I think it would be hilarious.
 gtomustang
Msg: 107
Posted: 9/29/2017 3:44:11 PM
I shouldn't slam the music industry for wanting to make money, but if I say its the fault of listeners accepting what they've been spoonfed since the days of payola, when they didn't have an internet full of music styles to choose from...I guess I return to "did the music industry invent their own clientele by giving them the easiest music to swallow?".

Geez Pig, now you have me wondering what it would be like if AC/DC went prog-metal and did a theme album (b/c i'm a Queensryche fan). Admittedly, if they have a fan base who likes their riffs and Angus Young in a suit, well, why kill the golden goose, right?

Low hanging fruit is low hanging fruit, and bills must be paid.
 Sandbyday
Msg: 108
Posted: 9/29/2017 3:52:39 PM

This would all depend on whether you're a purist or more of a production whore. I am admittedly the latter, but not everyone else is.

Those are the only two types? Pure as the driven snow as of course you. Or a whore. Interesting perspective of listeners as a whole or should i say hole.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 109
Posted: 9/29/2017 4:35:03 PM

I shouldn't slam the music industry for wanting to make money

How they go about it is worthy of being slammed, though.

(b/c i'm a Queensryche fan)

I'm a huge fan, myself. Mindcrime played a massive role in my transition to prog. I used to get mistaken for Michael Wilton all the time in their heyday.

Those are the only two types? Pure as the driven snow as of course you. Or a whore. Interesting perspective of listeners as a whole or should i say hole.

Well, you cited mostly technological advancements as the factor in being "better", so that would more likely be the perspective of someone who has a penchant for modern production values, as opposed to a purist. One could argue there's a middle ground, but I have found it rare. But the question is, what did Lennon mean by "better"?
 backcreek7
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2017 5:39:22 PM
If I was a Mexican man, I would do whatever it took ( peacefully ) - to bring myself and family to the USA ...
And ~ I would do whatever it took, to stay ...
I'd come the easy way first, and if that failed - I would come legally ...

" I worked in your orchards of peaches and prunes ~
Slept on the ground, in the light of your moon ~
On the edge of your city, you'll see us and then ~
We come with the dust, and we go with the wind ~

1941 ~ PASTURES OF PLENTY by Woody Guthrie
well worth listening too ~
TURN IT UP ^
 cooldog65
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2017 9:06:13 PM

I don't like people that use the snap chat filters on their dating profiles.

I hate those animal faces. It looks like something for teenage girls. I also have seen profiles with their other social media names and sites they're on. They would appear to be too busy with social media. No thanks.

"No one night stands or hook ups"...But post very revealing pictures and most of them are single mothers. Yikes!
 Sandbyday
Msg: 112
Posted: 10/1/2017 1:41:27 AM

But the question is, what did Lennon mean by "better”?

Of course that is open to interpretation. But my opinion would include -

Hendrix - Watchtower v. Dylan.
Janis - Bobby McGee v. Kristoferson
Aretha - Respect v. Otis
Whitney - Always Love You v. Dolly
Amy - Valerie v. Zutons
Elvis - Hound Dog
Sinatra - infinite tunes
Beatles - Twist and Shout
Donna - MacArthur Park
Cyndi - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Joan - I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll
Allman Bros. - One Way Out, Statesboro Blues, Trouble No More.

…and I don’t take my paraphrase literally especially the “always” part but I get what Lennon was saying. Most likely less in a general sense but a specific song or two he might have been referring to in a defensive way speaking to the press about one or more of their covers
 daynadaze
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2017 10:24:45 AM
Mac the Knife done by Bobby Darin over Sinatra, hands down.
 deetristate
Msg: 114
Posted: 10/2/2017 4:41:53 AM
they shouldn't immediately put the wife on trial for actions of her husband.

to think that a wife of a man who is a terrorist 1) knows he is a terrorist or 2) can so easily report him is not based in reality.

some women don't even know where their husbands or boyfriends work.
 poppata
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/2/2017 4:46:56 AM
^^^^^thats not an unpopular opinion, merely an alternative fact.
 gtomustang
Msg: 116
Posted: 10/2/2017 6:44:05 AM
blaming the gf who jumps aboard an outgoing airplane, gives us all a person to hold responsible for what we think is horrible. The idea of a lone wolf is scary, b/c that means that we can't defend ourselves from fate. Sometimes stuff just happens.

sometimes, the spouse is the first one to be abused by a violent suspect. Sometimes the spouse agrees with the thoughts of the suspect, if not all the actions carried out due to the beliefs of the suspect. And sometimes, the spouse just doesn't want to know.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2017 8:00:33 AM
"Mac the Knife done by Bobby Darin over Sinatra, hands down."

What about Louie!!
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2017 11:31:33 AM
I prefer limp cold toast.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2017 11:37:36 AM

some women don't even know where their husbands or boyfriends work.

I gather those are NOT the type who can finish each other's sentences because they know each other so well.
 cooldog65
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2017 11:39:19 AM

I prefer limp cold toast.

I prefer warm pie...
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/2/2017 12:22:10 PM

Allman Bros. - One Way Out, Statesboro Blues, Trouble No More.

I prefer Gregg's version of "Midnight Rider" on his "Laid Back" album over the original.

There is a 90's alternative band by the name of The Sundays who did an amazing cover of the Stones' "Wild Horses". It walks all over the original, in my opinion.
 427cammer
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2017 1:27:12 PM

I prefer Gregg's version of "Midnight Rider" on his "Laid Back" album over the original.

^^^^ This reminded me of Waylon Jenning's version of "Midnight Rider"...

...which in turn reminded me that he and Jerry Reed did a very good version of Sam and Dave's "Hold On, I'm Coming".

...on topic: I like Nickelback.

Edit to add:
...and I just thought of this... in some instances I like pineapple on pizza.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 123
Posted: 10/2/2017 2:17:05 PM

which in turn reminded me that he and Jerry Reed did a very good version of Sam and Dave's "Hold On, I'm Coming".

Yes. Very good. I'm a huge fan of Jerry. He was a monster guitar player.

..on topic: I like Nickelback.

Edit to add:
...and I just thought of this... in some instances I like pineapple on pizza.

Damn, you went and stole the show with these two.
 gtomustang
Msg: 124
Posted: 10/2/2017 3:23:48 PM
Nickelback is like Van Hagar...people think its cool to down either one, but a lot of someone's are making them both rich buying their products.
 Sandbyday
Msg: 125
Posted: 10/2/2017 5:01:31 PM
Very inspiring musical part of this thread to me in that it prompts me to check out links not only of my own mentioning but especially of y’alls recommendations.

Love Jerry Reed and in my limited singing exposure I sometimes try to copy that Waylon sound to a certain degree because it’s just sooo impossible. Thanks and I watched the video and like it but Sam and Dave's "Hold On, I'm Coming" I think has the essential soulful James Brown sound needed to keep it as #1 version.

Not that I think the copy needs to always hold the original sound of the song, as in the case with the "Wild Horses" cover mentioned.
Thanks for that, I watched it too. I’m am a fan of taking a rocking song and offering a soft feel, ala mellow female vocalist and flat picking acoustic guitar, and I totally see how it could be construed as walking all over the original. (Never viewed that as a great song in the first place though so I guess Im not as impressed but that doesn't mean anything as far as the musical quality.)

Shucks! Has anyone heard if Tom Petty is still holding on or not? So sad.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Post your unpopular opinions here.