Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Why all the travel photos?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ohenryx
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why all the travel photos?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

People are very much into niches

Well said.

I’m not that big on travel. I did a fair bit of it when I was younger, business trips mostly. These days, I don’t care for airports and airport security, never mind the airline seats that make you feel like sardines in a can. Which is not to say that I absolutely won’t go, I enjoy a leisurely road trip now and then.

But the women who are looking to retire and have someone travel the world with them, no, that’s not me, sorry. I did learn a long time ago that you can have a very good relationship without being joined at the hip, so I would be okay with a SO who traveled more than I did.
 moraima
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Why all the travel photos?
Posted: 10/4/2017 4:40:08 PM
90% of the photos I am in are taken while vacation for the winter. Without those photos I would have to go out of my way to take photos.

"Often the pictures are of them looking rested, brightly lit, dressed nicely so they end up being the pictures they like.

This tends to result in them having pictures to post that were taken when travelling."

Exactly!
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2017 7:13:11 PM
browneyesboo wrote:

Don't expect any women to be banging on your door with a mattress strapped to their back any time soon.
But what guy needs a woman to bring her own mattress? Is that the new equality focus? Not to mention I'd rather a woman show up on my front doorstep with well-rested back muscles...for um..other activities. Maybe I'm old fashioned, or chivalrous, but I would wholeheartedly supply the mattress.

Izzat going to be the next area of contention here? Along with who pays? Who supplies the mattress?
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2017 7:17:53 PM
Henry:

I’m not that big on travel. I did a fair bit of it when I was younger, business trips mostly. These days, I don’t care for airports and airport security, never mind the airline seats that make you feel like sardines in a can.
The last thing in the world (NPI) I want to do in retirement is travel the world extensively. Maybe an int'l trip every few years, that would be about it for me.... I'm like you...if I was looking for a mate in my latter years...I would avoid anyone who wanted to "travel the world." Same with the RV thing...don't want to be "granny and gramma" travelling the country in a RV, nope. Yuck. Now....buying a big fat motorcycle, donning some riding gear, now that sounds good.
 moraima
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2017 8:03:46 PM
".I would avoid anyone who wanted to "travel the world."

Please do.

I tire of men figuring they can stay at my winter home place.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/7/2017 9:16:25 AM
I would avoid anyone who would worry about feeling stuffed into an airline seat, and use that as an excuse not to fly. Either travel in premium class where the seats are larger, or lose some weight.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/7/2017 9:30:20 AM
^ ^ ^ OR travel by train! Love it!
 MsSkeezix
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/7/2017 9:37:58 AM
^^^Trains are the last bastion of the civilized traveler~

IMO

;-)
 ohenryx
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2017 10:29:41 AM

I would avoid anyone who would worry about feeling stuffed into an airline seat, and use that as an excuse not to fly. Either travel in premium class where the seats are larger, or lose some weight.

I debated with myself on whether I should reply to this message. It feels rather like a personal attack, and it’s been my experience that you are often best served by ignoring such missives. But what the hell, these forums are already boring enough, so …

Item 1, you have twisted my words.

me
airline seats that make you feel like sardines in a can

you
Feeling stuffed into an airline seat

Those are not the same words, and I know damned well that you’re smart enough to know the difference. It isn’t my derriere that has the problem. It’s my legs, particularly my knees crammed against the seat in front of me. And the complete lack of elbow room.

Either travel in premium class where the seats are larger, or lose some weight.

A few years back, when I was at my perfect weight, airline seats still made me feel like a sardine in a can. So losing weight is not the answer. Indeed, I know many people much smaller in stature than myself who complain of the lack of space in an airline seat.

Either travel in premium class where the seats are larger, or lose some weight.

I had a really great catty remark, all prepared. But I just erased those words, I’m not going to sink to that level.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/7/2017 11:01:58 AM

.....................these forums are already boring enough, so …

Well of course they are...................nothing like the "good ol' days"..................with Mods lurking and jumping.............picking sides, taking sides, banning, deleting, scolding, "You'ns better behave or else". ?Time outs?

Soooo here's my thought. "Whatcha gonna do 'bout it?"

BTW, I love to fly, actually fly, but not on a commercial airline. All the watin', fix'n to, sittin' around the airport, drives me nuts.
Now THAT's"boring!"

I'd rather be on the bike, in the car or on a train, goin' somewhere. I fly if I must.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/7/2017 11:36:37 AM
At least Henry doesn't need help buying his ticket.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/7/2017 11:41:43 AM
I'll chip in for a one way...................
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/7/2017 12:09:26 PM
I don't get help buying my tickets---unless you count the fact that I'm a former Delta employee and get deep discounts on them. I have never depended on any man to buy my tickets for me, nor was I seeking a retiree to travel the world with.

I prefer a partner who still works---mine does. Not all people who work are unable to get away to travel. It all depends on the line of work they're in.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/7/2017 1:55:50 PM

Those are not the same words, and I know damned well that you’re smart enough to know the difference. It isn’t my derriere that has the problem. It’s my legs, particularly my knees crammed against the seat in front of me. And the complete lack of elbow room.

Henry, unless you're traveling a discount airline where the seats are very close together, you shouldn't have a problem with leg room or elbow room. In addition to premium seats, there are comfort class seats, which are also wider and have more leg room than regular seats. There is also such a thing as TSA pre-check, which is an expedited screening process available for frequent flyers.

If you're traveling more than three or four hours, your legs are going to get cramped on a car trip just as easily as a plane. You should stop and get up and walk around every hour or so, regardless of the method of transportation you're taking.

People who claim they don't like to travel love to blame uncomfortable airline seats, when the real reason is often one of three things:

A) They can't take time off from work.
B) They can't financially afford air travel.
C) They have a fear of flying.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/7/2017 1:57:49 PM
As a photographer, I love to see exotic travel photos in people's profiles, like the ones Halcyon_skies have. In the past, I included those kind of images in my profile but they got reported by the POF photo police.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2017 7:43:07 PM

Henry, unless you're traveling a discount airline where the seats are very close together, you shouldn't have a problem with leg room or elbow room.

In this world, most people fly in the sardine class. I've been on planes since the 60s, and the cheap seats are always packed like sardines. Also the last row of seats does not recline. People pick cheap seats because they want to spend $$ on entertainment, not the actual flight. I'm about 6 foot tall, and I've often requested the Emergency Exit over the wing seat because it usually has lots of leg room. Recently, matters have changed, and now that seat has a Premium Price. The only plane I've been in that has sufficient & comfortable space in the common seats is a Boening 777 - the regular seats are more like business class.

So...I'll pick (D) They don't want to pay 3x the airfare to get to the same place at the same time, when they could use that $$ on a private tour, or a fancy meal.

People blame the seats - well, the seat ARE INDEED uncomfortable for half the customers, so I say that passes the smell test.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/8/2017 9:43:11 AM

In this world, most people fly in the sardine class. I've been on planes since the 60s, and the cheap seats are always packed like sardines. Also the last row of seats does not recline. People pick cheap seats because they want to spend $$ on entertainment, not the actual flight.

Maybe in your world, not in mine.

So...I'll pick (D) They don't want to pay 3x the airfare to get to the same place at the same time, when they could use that $$ on a private tour, or a fancy meal.

That falls under B). Yes, the comfort class seats are more expensive than regular seats, but they aren't 3x as much. We took a 4 hour flight to Detroit, MI before catching our flight to Rome, Italy. We weren't about to travel on a 10 hour international flight in "sardine class" seats when we knew we would have to sleep on the plane.

Part of my enjoyment of traveling comes from enjoying the actual journey--not just the destination. We wanted to be comfortable on our flight, plus we like the free drinks and movies we get as comfort class passengers. The Airbus 330 had the window and aisle seats together. My partner is 5'11"---the same height as you, and he had plenty of leg and elbow room.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2017 11:38:09 AM

Henry, unless you're traveling a discount airline where the seats are very close together, you shouldn't have a problem with leg room or elbow room.

The problem is the leg room, not the seat width (except in the case where I'm sitting next to Mr Jumbo taking up 2 seats/encroaching on mine.

I'm 5'8" and the seat hits my knees when they recline. My ex is 6'2" so his knees hit the seat without it reclining.

I'm willing to pay for upgraded seats but flights are so packed these days that I, often, can't get one.

I was United's 100,000 mile club by age 18, before I had to travel regularly for work. I have many thousands of miles on a dozen different airlines. Your experience is not 'average' or 'normal' or 'common'. Just because you don't experience leg room issues doesn't mean those of us who do are wrong, stupid, inexperienced in working the system, or cheap.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/8/2017 12:34:23 PM

I'm 5'8" and the seat hits my knees when they recline. My ex is 6'2" so his knees hit the seat without it reclining.

My 5'11" partner has never had his knees hit the seat when someone reclined, but I can understand it happening if your ex was 6'2". Perhaps the seats are different on other airlines besides Delta. Also, how far a person's knees stick out can be affected by their weight, in addition to their height.

The only thing that has affected us is the issue with our tray tables not having enough clearance to hold the beverages and food. In that case, we politely asked the people in front of us to please raise their seats a bit while the food and drinks were being served.

Just because you don't experience leg room issues doesn't mean those of us who do are wrong, stupid, inexperienced in working the system, or cheap.

I never said any of that.
 gtomustang
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/8/2017 2:49:15 PM
Traveling is great when you're young and energetic for differing time zones...and when you're older and haven't traveled in a bit. I just came off hour-plus road trips over the last 48 hrs, and my wanderlust is sated for a while. Its fun to get out, but its the travel that's work :) Get it out of your system, rest up from doing it, and then a week or a month or whatever later, try again.

HS refused to give up an opportunity to drop a comment about someone in the world needing to lose weight? Wow, what a surprise, none of us have seen that happen before :)

https://www.cheapflights.com/news/airline-legroom-guide/

Trains are nice, I still like model trains, but man, having to stop at every stop...you just want to get home, and instead you have to keep stopping and waiting..its like the school bus all over again :)
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2017 4:15:30 PM

Yes you did in msg 40

Henry, unless you're traveling a discount airline where the seats are very close together, you shouldn't have a problem with leg room or elbow room. ... There is also such a thing as TSA pre-check, which is an expedited screening process available for frequent flyers.

When the fact is that almost all major airlines (not just discount airlines) have the smallest distance between seats in economy class. See chart here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4E%2BtDzZ7&id=1A5E95490B4DC5EE456374A823382A74D75C96EF&thid=OIP.4E-tDzZ7ELd3KrZZmZVOQwECEs&q=airline+seat+legroom+comparison&simid=608005862962823625&selectedindex=4&mode=overlay&first=1

Just for fun I decided to measure my 'leg length.' My inseem is 33" (my ex's was 36"). Today, sitting with my butt as far back in my chair as I could, I measured from the back of my chair to the front of my knees. That was 26.6". As you can see, in United economy, Alaska, US Air, Delta, and American (the airlines I fly most often domestically), my legs would almost hit the seat in front before they recline. When they recline that seat touches my knees. I can avoid it by straightening my legs putting my feet as far under the seat as I can. But I can't always do that, plus it's uncomfortable on a long flight, because I only travel with carry on that fits under the seat so I don't have to battle for an overhead bin (plus I had a custom made jacket stolen out of the overhead). I am not obese so the generalized comments about losing weight wouldn't have these problems is not relevant.

Flights of more than 4 hrs I try to upgrade to business or even first class but rarely get them.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2017 4:17:31 PM

Yes you did in msg 40

Henry, unless you're traveling a discount airline where the seats are very close together, you shouldn't have a problem with leg room or elbow room. ... There is also such a thing as TSA pre-check, which is an expedited screening process available for frequent flyers.

When the fact is that almost all major airlines (not just discount airlines) have the smallest distance between seats in economy class. See chart here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4E%2BtDzZ7&id=1A5E95490B4DC5EE456374A823382A74D75C96EF&thid=OIP.4E-tDzZ7ELd3KrZZmZVOQwECEs&q=airline+seat+legroom+comparison&simid=608005862962823625&selectedindex=4&mode=overlay&first=1

Just for fun I decided to measure my 'leg length.' My inseem is 33" (my ex's was 36"). Today, sitting with my butt as far back in my chair as I could, I measured from the back of my chair to the front of my knees. That was 26.6". As you can see, in United economy, Alaska, US Air, Delta, and American (the airlines I fly most often domestically), my legs would almost hit the seat in front before they recline. When they recline that seat touches my knees. I can avoid it by straightening my legs putting my feet as far under the seat as I can. But I can't always do that, plus it's uncomfortable on a long flight, because I only travel with carry on that fits under the seat so I don't have to battle for an overhead bin (plus I had a custom made jacket stolen out of the overhead). I am not obese so the generalized comments about losing weight wouldn't have these problems is not relevant.

Flights of more than 4 hrs I try to upgrade to business or even first class but rarely get them.

P.S. TSA pre-check is also available by filling out a form a few weeks in advance. They do a pre-screening so you always get pre-check status. Based on my experience over the past couple years, I seem to get the, apparently random, green checke by some sort of algorithm that isn't strictly frequent flyer.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/8/2017 6:45:43 PM

If you enjoy traveling abroad, and you can afford to upgrade to comfort class seats, by all means you should consider doing so, since you find flying in regular seats to be so excruciatingly uncomfortable.

I never said anything about obesity, but now that you mention it, if a person carries their extra weight in the buttocks area, it stands to reason that their knees are going to extend forward more than someone who does not carry their weight in that area. Just sayin'.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/8/2017 7:17:05 PM

In this world, most people fly in the sardine class. I've been on planes since the 60s, and the cheap seats are always packed like sardines. Also the last row of seats does not recline. People pick cheap seats because they want to spend $$ on entertainment, not the actual flight.

Maybe in your world, not in mine.

Well, since by your own admission, you don't have the experience of travelers not in "(your) world", perhaps you should remain silent and LEARN, rather than spout off about something with which you do not have first-hand experience, hmm?
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/8/2017 7:58:22 PM

Well, since by your own admission, you don't have the experience of travelers not in "(your) world", perhaps you should remain silent and LEARN, rather than spout off about something with which you do not have first-hand experience, hmm?

No offense to you Arlo, but I've had more experience traveling than many folks---especially since I was a flight attendant for Delta Airlines for over eight years. My experience includes dealing with passengers firsthand, along with their numerous complaints.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Why all the travel photos?