Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Why all the travel photos?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Seki1949
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Why all the travel photos?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

As you can see, in United economy, Alaska, US Air, Delta, and American (the airlines I fly most often domestically), my legs would almost hit the seat in front before they recline.

My recent experience is that Alaska seems to always have last minute modestly priced upgrades to a roomy premium class. Perhaps it's just the flights I take.

Alaska is the only airline I fly right now. If Alaska doesn't go there, neither do I.

[I'll make an exception for Aeroflot. For the destination. I took Aeroflot to Moscow in 2008 or 2009. It didn't crash even once and it was a very nice flight.]
 cooldog65
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Why all the travel photos?
Posted: 10/8/2017 9:17:15 PM

It didn't crash even once and it was a very nice flight.

I would hate to see what happens if it crashed more than once...
 aintnodeal
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2017 10:51:18 PM
I've only been on a few planes that were NOT 80% economy "sardine" class.
- one was a Cessna type light aircraft, I was one of only 2 passengers.
- one was a 14 seat propeller plane that made me do a double-take ... "Is that a DC-3?!?" No, it was smaller.
- I've flown over the Pacific a few times on a 747. Movies and marketing would have you believe the interior is luxurious compared to smaller jets. NOT in economy class. You are still double-jam-packed in the seats, waiting for the restrooms, and waiting for babies to stop crying for your 15 - 17 hour flight. Well...I survived, but it certainly wasn't "no problem". Unless you're a kid, you are essentially immobilized in economy seats.

That's the WORLD most of us live in, and why many people are not happy about taking flights. I'm used to this condition, I'm not happy with it, and I don't have endless $$$ to fly premium, like most of us grumblers on here. I've flown first-class exactly once - because of an airline error. We are telling you AS CONSUMERS that economy seat suck, and they have always sucked. We don't ride in jump-seats, we don't roam the cabin freely. We are not on the company's dime. We are ordinary folk, and this is our experience.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/9/2017 3:50:00 AM

(AT)
Well, since by your own admission, you don't have the experience of travelers not in "(your) world", perhaps you should remain silent and LEARN, rather than spout off about something with which you do not have first-hand experience, hmm?

(HS) No offense to you Arlo, but I've had more experience traveling than many folks---especially since I was a flight attendant for Delta Airlines for over eight years. My experience includes dealing with passengers firsthand, along with their numerous complaints.

No offense taken. However, people are relating their experiences with air travel, and you are dismissing their anecdotes. There is no reason to lie, and leg room is a very subjective thing. Preferring to direct income to entertainment rather than travel is also a personal choice. When you were a flight attendant, did you handle customer complaints by dismissing them? Sure, a lot of complaints stem from tired, cranky and fussy passengers who are just venting, but sometimes, SOMETIMES, there is actual validity to complaints, ya know?
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/9/2017 8:22:28 AM

No offense taken. However, people are relating their experiences with air travel, and you are dismissing their anecdotes. There is no reason to lie, and leg room is a very subjective thing. Preferring to direct income to entertainment rather than travel is also a personal choice. When you were a flight attendant, did you handle customer complaints by dismissing them? Sure, a lot of complaints stem from tired, cranky and fussy passengers who are just venting, but sometimes, SOMETIMES, there is actual validity to complaints, ya know?

There are workarounds for most situations---however, I do believe some people have valid complaints. I'm not dismissing anyone's ancedotes on here to the extent that they have a right to their opinions. I also have a right to mine.

I would however, dismiss someone as a dating partner who used those particular anedotes as a reason they didn't enjoy air travel, because I wouldn't feel we were compatible. Travel is an important part of my life, and I wanted a partner who could share that activity with me.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/9/2017 9:07:55 AM

(AT) No offense taken. However, people are relating their experiences with air travel, and you are dismissing their anecdotes. There is no reason to lie, and leg room is a very subjective thing. Preferring to direct income to entertainment rather than travel is also a personal choice. When you were a flight attendant, did you handle customer complaints by dismissing them? Sure, a lot of complaints stem from tired, cranky and fussy passengers who are just venting, but sometimes, SOMETIMES, there is actual validity to complaints, ya know?

(halcyon_skies) There are workarounds for most situations---

1) "Most" is not "all".
2) People don't pay hundreds/thousands of dollars so that they have to MacGyver an airline seat.

(hs) however, I do believe some people have valid complaints. I'm not dismissing anyone's ancedotes on here to the extent that they have a right to their opinions.

You most certainly are, with your airy "Maybe in your world, not in mine". What was that intended to convey, other than to relegate the experiences of others to an unimportant status?

(hs) I also have a right to mine.

The battle-cry of people about to air an insult. That's like saying, "Just sayin'", after laying a wicked burn on someone.

(hs) I would however, dismiss someone as a dating partner who used those particular anedotes as a reason they didn't enjoy air travel, because I wouldn't feel we were compatible. Travel is an important part of my life, and I wanted a partner who could share that activity with me.

I totally agree with you, here.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/9/2017 10:07:31 AM

You most certainly are, with your airy "Maybe in your world, not in mine". What was that intended to convey, other than to relegate the experiences of others to an unimportant status?

The same thing could be said about this statement:

In this world, most people fly in the sardine class.

By his implication, I'm not a member of "this world". That sounded pretty airy to me.

Edit to below:

Much of my air travel comes from flying Delta, but I've also traveled abroad on Virgin Atlantic (747), British Airways, Lufthansa (Airbus 340), and Air France---none of which had any leg room issues for me or my partner.
 gtomustang
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/9/2017 10:19:33 AM
1) can't speak for everyone, but as a perennial single, I always traveled in the "hoi polloi" class b/c I was hoping to meet a cutie on the way...since it happened once when I was a kid. When I tried business class once, it was full of workers too busy to chit-chat.

2) From the way HS explained it, it sounds like her travel experience comes from working on one airline. Which is like saying one knows how the hazard light switch works on Japanese cars b/c they've driven only Fords built in Detroit. I suspect a few airlines order their planes with seats that work with their intended clientele:

"Japan Airlines has over a dozen different seating configurations just for their 747s and American Airlines has two very different 777 First Class configurations. The seat maps of ExpertFlyer.com and SeatGuru.com will help you find the right configuration and the best seats."

https://www.expertflyer.com/airplane-seating

so, apparently yes, people can legitimately have different experiences :)

3) Traveling, dealing with rental car agencies, etc, can be a real job to perform while on vacation trying to get some time away from the job. I like to travel, but I can't blame someone from refraining b/c they had a bad experience. What I will hold against someone, however, is their inability to understand how things are for other people. You don't have to walk a mile in their shoes, or fly to their location, to listen to them and understand how things are for them. Long before I could afford to travel, I read almost anything I could get my hands on, and could carry a conversation as if I had been to that place by just mentioning a few of the things I had read about, and letting someone who had actually been there, carry on the rest of the convo.

on the flip side, there are people who can travel the world and still arrive the Ugly American--"why don't these people speak my language?" "Why don't they price things in dollars?"
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/9/2017 11:31:31 AM

In this world, most people fly in the sardine class.

(hs) By his implication, I'm not a member of "this world". That sounded pretty airy to me.

And...? You're gonna go the, "He was sassy to me, so *I* can be sassy to *HIM*!!!" route? Is that *REALLY* the tactic a Southern Belle would adopt?
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/9/2017 11:36:04 AM

And...? You're gonna go the, "He was sassy to me, so *I* can be sassy to *HIM*!!!" route? Is that *REALLY* the tactic a Southern Belle would adopt?

Huh? That's what people do in here. You've even been known to be condescending a time or two.

FYI, I'm not a Southern Belle. I've lived in the South, but that's not where I'm originally from.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/9/2017 1:28:47 PM

(AT) And...? You're gonna go the, "He was sassy to me, so *I* can be sassy to *HIM*!!!" route? Is that *REALLY* the tactic a Southern Belle would adopt?

(halcyoton_skies) Huh? That's what people do in here. You've even been known to be condescending a time or two.

Who, ME?!? :grin:

FYI, I'm not a Southern Belle.

Sez you.

I've lived in the South, but that's not where I'm originally from.

And, the South was the better for it...
 gtomustang
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/9/2017 4:22:20 PM
"What is the subtext here? That you can afford a plane ticket? That your next sugar daddy must keep up at this level? Or maybe it's "My life is already so fabulous that I don't have time for a relationship, but you can feel free to send me a message that I will ignore"?"

>>>I guess the flipside is, if we dudes have pictures of cars or fish we caught, does that mean we expect the woman to pay for them?

"That sounded pretty airy to me"

>>>that was a pun, yes?
 BLondeAngeLHair
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/19/2017 10:23:29 AM
Perhaps many travel photos bec. when they travel,, they take more photos. Should we be posting pix of ourself hunched over the kitchen sink scrubbing out a roasting pan?
 Baron1644
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2017 4:47:42 PM

You read like a bitter man who doesn't really like women very much.

Do you have a problem with every man in POF?
 4Lky
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2017 4:59:42 PM
when i see a lot of exotic pictures, they are subliminally saying:

LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
 pfif
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2017 9:53:43 PM
Because every cell phone comes with a nice camera in it: the ubiquity of cheap, good photography, as compared with c110 and c126 exposures from vintage cameras and the relative expense of getting multiple rolls of film developed (and prints made, or at least proof sheets).

I kind of miss rolls of film because it was so physically self-organized (and chronological) to work with them.

Back a few decades, c126 film, and especially c110. You could buy a thow-away or a reusable camera for c110, quite inexpensively. c135 remained for more serious work with good lenses, the ability to look through the lens (reflex cameras, especially SLR).

So if they were on Macchu Picchu and the negative was c135 and there was no evidence for camera-shake in the image and the exposure was bracketed nicely and the composition was interesting .. like someone asked, I'm now thinking about who took the picture, not who's in the picture.

Travel photos definitely make up a good chunk of the emulsion-film photography processing business trade.

So do really awful interior shots made by family and friends, with horrid exposure and composition.

I read somewhere that restaurants now pay attention to lighting, to facilitate customers photographing their served meals.

This is the photography forum, right?
 gtomustang
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/28/2017 5:46:12 AM
"this is the photography forum, right?"

>>>Depends upon what develops.

interesting point about the lighting in restaurants, I thought it was for the Baby Boomers to be able to read the menus. I wonder if restaurant portions will shrink, as there are more retirees and they classically eat less at age 60 and beyond (when I used to take my parents out to eat, it was suggested ordering from the children's menu to avoid taking home half the meal to get thrown out. When I went to Bertolli in a bag for the two of them, there was still enough for me to share a meal with them in their last years.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2017 4:19:31 PM
It's been 10+ years since I could read a menu in the ambient light. But I never toss the leftovers, if they last 2 days, I'm still eatin' it.

I never was in the habit of taking pics of my food, but I have done so at least three times, I think....
If someone's profile had a lot of pics of food, I'd think they were a cook, and may consider trying to hitch a ride on that gravy train.
 Cynderella
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2017 12:46:10 AM
Sunkissed skin looks better than my balaclava pics.

MsSkeezix
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/29/2017 5:49:03 AM
Meat never photographs well.

IMO

;-0
 cooldog65
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2017 8:30:39 AM

Meat never photographs well.

Especially tubesteak...
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/29/2017 9:04:22 AM
Watch out guys, them travel photos mean an expensive courtship awaits you!
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2017 9:02:36 PM
(Above.)

Do you need to talk about it???????

Our fees are quite reasonable.
 ohenryx
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2017 7:46:58 AM

Whatsammababy
Do you need to talk about it???????

Our fees are quite reasonable.

Funny thing about that. I have always thought that the bottom line cost of paying directly for sex was actually quite reasonable. Considering the cost of a dinner date these days runs between $100 and $300, paying $250 for a guaranteed happy ending seems to make good sense, from a business perspective.

My problem with paying directly is with my ego. I really, really want the woman to be interested in me, to enjoy my company, and have desire for me rather than my billfold.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2017 10:18:15 AM
(Above.)

Too funny. I meant our counselling fees.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Why all the travel photos?