Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > POF is bottom of the barrel      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 south_city
Msg: 26
POF is bottom of the barrelPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
While I agree POF has more than it's fair share of jerks, flakes, liars, cheaters etc, the OP's biggest problem is her picture. She should add at least 1 face shot of her smiling and 1 full body picture. Not having a job or a car also won't help her chances.
 RonBurgundyLaw
Msg: 27
view profile
History
POF is bottom of the barrel
Posted: 10/14/2017 11:35:09 AM
I agree with most of the advice in this thread, but this post was hilariously stupid.

[quote=magicstillaroundme]People seem to be underestimating what the OP is up against. She is living in a demographic nightmare. In the UK, a HUGE percentage of men her age are deemed completely unemployable. I forget the exact numbers but it is a quarter or more.

Lol.

The OP is educated. She says her standards are not that high. Even if she just wanted the absolute minimum, someone somewhat literate and reasonably reliable, there may not be any. Think of it... men that are only barely civilized are unavailable to her.

Yeah, it's basically Mad Max. :D

Anyone remember the good old days when Americans just cast us as bad guys in action films and thought we all lived in castles?

She could live in or near one of the UK's many so called "man deserts". Mile after mile of council houses occupied by single mothers and their children but men are excluded.

Sounds awesome, can you tell me where they are?

Just twisting her picture and punching up her profile is only going to get her some illiterate jughead that likes to drink himself silly and start gang fights at football games. She should settle for that? Really? As sad as it may be, she is better off by herself.

It would be better than some inbred neanderthal KKK member from a trailer park in Arizona. Oh, I'm sorry, did I just unfairly stereotype you? :)
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2017 3:23:48 PM

Anyone remember the good old days when Americans just cast us as bad guys in action films

We still do that quite frequently. :)

and thought we all lived in castles?

(straight face): Well wait -- you folks Do live in castles. Are you're saying English folk don't, or just the "bottom of the barrel" doesn't?

It would be better than some inbred neanderthal KKK member from a trailer park in Arizona. Oh, I'm sorry, did I just unfairly stereotype you? :)

Haha. Yeah, the US I'm sure has some funny stereotypes from Europe. It's been a culture war after our previous President got set in, and the people then electing Trump. The trailer park folk listening to AM radio with tin-foil hats definitely have a bigger say for the people now. I can understand the POV of things going too "left" too much over the years in certain ways that I'm not a fan of either, but it's gotten really cray-cray as too much (no not all) of American society has gotten involve in idealism/way-of-life war without questioning their own ... it's more of emotion & loyalty out of disliking the other side, making them get more stringent in their positions.

Hopefully in 4 years it'll start being different. :)
 Seki1949
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2017 4:18:13 PM

some inbred neanderthal KKK member from a trailer park in Arizona

I just broke up with her. (IM me for her number)

She does have some good qualities. You know what they say; once you have neanderthal you never go back.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2017 4:43:23 PM

You know what they say; once you have neanderthal you never go back.

He wouldn't understand that one though, he's not from the states. They haven't enjoyed the fine taste of rich, thick female back hair. ;)

You don't? I thought everyone did these days... Gosh. Better rethink here...

Ah ha! That's the reason behind your POF luck! You require castles! Not everyone's like your cousin Rupert! :)

To be fair though the vast majority of those women are better off going it alone than with the guys they got pregnant by.

Oh, I don't think so. When a man gets a lady prego, he comes cordial and sweet. :)
 aintnodeal
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2017 8:26:31 PM
^^^ Must you antagonize everyone with your confounded LOGIC and PRACTICALITY?
The fiery chimera of insanity is but inches from my grasp when you or your co-horts make the world seem so safe and easy to use, like an open jar of peanut butter!!! Your dastardly practicality will make happy men and women of us all!!! Oh! Meloncholy save me!
 hemingway234
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/6/2017 5:23:52 AM
It's true, there are lots of undesirables on dating sites.

But who cares? You only need one good one.
 basilisk123
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2017 9:57:56 AM
Been on here for a long time. I also have almost no social life, but I still am out and about sometimes. OP, I am thinking it is more a problem with your frame of mind than with men on this site. I think every person here goes through that phase where we realize online dating is a lot harder than we originally thought.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/7/2017 10:41:37 AM
It's not hard if you take care of yourself and don't live in a low population town.

However, if your objective is to find "the one", that could be a bit challenging, but you can save yourself a lot of trouble by *not* making that your objective.
 Cynderella
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2017 11:46:06 AM
I believe location can be a factor...
I know here in Canada winter
is a bad time to date....too cold.
*I think I'm moving south!
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2017 1:17:01 PM

I know here in Canada winter
is a bad time to date....too cold.

Makes one wonder how the Inuit folks managed to date, marry, and raise families for thousands of years.
 Cynderella
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2017 1:32:51 PM
Igloo party....
When your noses get stuck together
it's a sign of marriage.
 basilisk123
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2017 2:56:45 PM
Well, when it is cold, there is more than one way to warm up.... ;)

...or so I hear, lol!
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/15/2017 10:50:10 PM
I actually agree. Between the married men (and I know a few from this site who are happily married on Facebook) to the ones who lack conversational skills, this site is junk. I come back for the forums mostly but these people are jokes. The last guy that I met wasn't even trying to plan anything. He thought meeting up to watch The Walking Dead was doing something. The last time I checked, TWD wasn't a movie so that means someone would have to go to the other person's home. They're so freaking lazy and it's like pulling teeth to get some type of conversation out of them but they want you to jump up and meet them. I'm not sorry for what I'm about to state but I'm pretty sure most of the men who message me are on the spectrum.... These are adult men who seriously lack social skills, there's no way that they aren't special needs adults.
 basilisk123
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2017 2:08:25 AM
^^^^
If you keep attracting these sorts of guys, it might be more you than them.
 from site to sight
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/16/2017 3:33:05 AM

The last guy that I met wasn't even trying to plan anything.

If the guy didn't come up with plans, why didn't you suggest something that you would enjoy doing? Why is it always up to a guy to be a mind reader and somehow know what a woman would like to do on a date? Someone who plays mind games are the worst part of first dates.
 forever_live_and_die
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/16/2017 5:01:36 AM
Leanne is there a reason you have no social life?
 mrod3041
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2017 5:18:36 AM
With regard to the quality of POF, I refer everyone to this paper by Akerlof, who happened to win the Nobel in 2001 and is Yellen's husband (Yellen is the Fed Reserve Chairwoman). Excellent paper and really easy for anyone to read. POF and/or the concept of online dating can be related to ideas in the paper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Market_for_Lemons

With regard to the OP, there is quite a bit of "staring in the mirror" that should probably be done here. Folks have commented on here quite a bit so at this point, there is no need to elaborate.
 from site to sight
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/17/2017 8:26:48 AM
It's funny how the OP hasn't mentioned how much success she's had finding Mr. Right on any other dating site, which leads me to believe that she's 0 for however many sites she's been on. But of course, in her mind, it's the fault of the dating site for not providing loads of top quality men that will chase after her.

The problem is, her expectations of finding a perfect mate who has no flaws, is common among people who try the on-line dating route. People have the illusion that on-line dating sites some how filter out the less than totally beautiful and perfect people and ban the less-than-perfect from dating sites. They buy into the commercials and ads that shows two perfect and good looking people saying they met on dating site XYZ, and you will have the same success too. Then, people get frustrated when they discover there are profiles from ordinary or less than ordinary people, and can't figure out what happened to the beautiful and perfect people-the creme de la creme-that were suppose to fill the sites.
 ohenryx
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2017 8:45:58 AM

mrod3041
With regard to the quality of POF, I refer everyone to this paper by Akerlof, who happened to win the Nobel in 2001 and is Yellen's husband (Yellen is the Fed Reserve Chairwoman). Excellent paper and really easy for anyone to read. POF and/or the concept of online dating can be related to ideas in the paper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Market_for_Lemons

An interesting article. And a very obvious, but still interesting conclusion. I have observed this exact same phenomenon in the used car market. I tend to buy a new car every couple of years, and I often sell the old one myself, rather than trade it in. Which leaves me in a position of selling a low mileage, very clean late model car. And I definitely ask for well above the “average market value”, and I always get it. Sometimes it takes a while, and you have to run a good ad, lots of pictures, and emphasize the positive qualities.

Which does rather remind me of OLD…
 mrod3041
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2017 9:07:41 AM
"And I definitely ask for well above the “average market value”, and I always get it. Sometimes it takes a while, and you have to run a good ad, lots of pictures, and emphasize the positive qualities."

Yep....exactly.
 Swayze_Forever
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2017 12:55:50 PM
LucilleDixon and the TC seem like absolute treats to be around 🙄

Perhaps they should date each other.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/18/2017 9:54:50 AM

I'm not sorry for what I'm about to state but I'm pretty sure most of the men who message me are on the spectrum.... These are adult men who seriously lack social skills, there's no way that they aren't special needs adults.

Interestingly, these men found you to be in their league enough to contact you. Let me ask you - since you have a problem with the men who contact you, have you ever tried contacting the men who *seem* appealing to you on paper yourself?
 mrod3041
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2017 10:30:41 AM
"I'm not sorry for what I'm about to state but I'm pretty sure most of the men who message me are on the spectrum.... These are adult men who seriously lack social skills, there's no way that they aren't special needs adults."

Wow. It is amazing to me even after everything that is being said here which seems to imply double-standards left and right, some (not many becuse I think even the OP left awhile ago) still dont get and continue on with this nonsense. Just wow....

Newsflash - Look in the mirror. The hypocrisy abounds.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2017 11:32:42 AM

The last guy that I met wasn't even trying to plan anything. He thought meeting up to watch The Walking Dead was doing something.

Well, that is planning Something. :) It's having the date at-my-place that was a turn-off. POF is a yuge site -- people of all types. One can complain there's a lot of riff-raff, which is true, but it's going to be the same as going to one's public city event where people of all types come out. Just because the ones who are biting are Not your style, doesn't mean they're that way to everyone else, or that they represent what every other person's luck is going to be. By your rationale, a guy who's 5'4" (but has a decent face & build) is going to think "POF" has the worst people on it, because gals aren't biting -- and of those who do, they turn him off or are crazy. Yeah, because being a half foot below average height, where online, Stats have Greater importance than IRL, and height is always a Big "line" regardless -- he's not going to prosper so well, and his experience is going to be Different (in the negative) VS other guys who are more attractive Online.

It's funny how the OP hasn't mentioned how much success she's had finding Mr. Right on any other dating site, which leads me to believe that she's 0 for however many sites she's been on.

Yeah, you can't blame POF if OKC & Match & Tinder & Bumble make you strike out left & right, too. That said, a pay site like Match, some people will get better results when they pay than a free site like POF... or if they're more culturally "chic" in the semi-Emo way (dunno what ya call it now), OKC tends to liken that more (at least here in the midwest). Ymmv. But if you're striking out on all sites too much, ya can't "blame" just one. And the problem is oneself in how they're marketing themselves and how attractive they are to those leafing thru their profile.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > POF is bottom of the barrel