Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you meet someone whose profile says they are 10 years younger t      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 51
Would you meet someone whose profile says they are 10 years younger than they actually are?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

If you don't like dating liars, and someone misrepresenting his/her age meets your criterion of "liar", then don't date him/her.

Misrepresenting? You mean the fancier multisyllabic term for lying??

Some of the most interesting people are those who are willing to colour outside the lines.

What a positive outlook. Is this how you think of the chick who supposedly jerked you around?
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 52
Would you meet someone whose profile says they are 10 years younger than they actually are?
Posted: 11/13/2017 8:12:24 AM

What would you do? Would that be a deal-breaker or would you meet them anyway?

Did he contact you first, or did you contact him first? The reason I ask is because this would make a difference to me personally, in how I felt about the deception. If I contacted the man first, I'd see it as a "bait and switch tactic", and I would probably dismiss him.

If the man contacted me first, I might be more tolerant of the profile fib, since he disclosed his real age upfront.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 53
Would you meet someone whose profile says they are 10 years younger than they actually are?
Posted: 11/13/2017 10:04:01 AM

(AT) If you don't like dating liars, and someone misrepresenting his/her age meets your criterion of "liar", then don't date him/her.

(TPoYD) Misrepresenting? You mean the fancier multisyllabic term for lying??

I have an excellent grasp of the English language, both written and spoken, and if I had meant to conflate the terms "misrepresenting" and "lying", I would have done so. Maybe you need to borrow HS' thesaurus...

(AT) Some of the most interesting people are those who are willing to colour outside the lines.

(TPoYD) What a positive outlook.

Why, thank you!

Y'know, I used to think that people on PoF were just a bunch of mean-spirited jerks, but now I see that they're always throwing around compliments!

(TPoYD) Is this how you think of the chick who supposedly jerked you around?

You mean the girl who was lying by omission to her mother about dating, or dating *ME*?

I said that *SOME* of the people who colour outside the lines are interesting. I didn't say *EVERYONE* who colours outside the lines is interesting.

You really need that thesaurus...
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/13/2017 10:11:18 AM

(halcyon_skies) Did he contact you first, or did you contact him first? The reason I ask is because this would make a difference to me personally, in how I felt about the deception. If I contacted the man first, I'd see it as a "bait and switch tactic", and I would probably dismiss him.

If the man contacted me first, I might be more tolerant of the profile fib, since he disclosed his real age upfront.

I wonder why no one is grilling her on what the heck she was doing trying to score with a guy who is *THIRTEEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN HER*. If it had been a 64 year-old man trying to connect with a 51 year-old woman, people would have fixated on *THAT*, to the exclusion of all else... :eyeroll:
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/13/2017 10:26:51 AM

I have an excellent grasp of the English language, both written and spoken, and if I had meant to conflate the terms "misrepresenting" and "lying", I would have done so. Maybe you need to borrow HS' thesaurus...

To see the word "lie" would appear?

I said that *SOME* of the people who colour outside the lines are interesting. I didn't say *EVERYONE* who colours outside the lines is interesting.

Aww, come on, now. Isn't this a matter of individual interpretation? Perhaps she handled things in a way she thought was "interesting"?

You really need that thesaurus...

You really need to phone home, E.T.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/13/2017 11:03:22 AM

I wonder why no one is grilling her on what the heck she was doing trying to score with a guy who is *THIRTEEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN HER*. If it had been a 64 year-old man trying to connect with a 51 year-old woman, people would have fixated on *THAT*, to the exclusion of all else... :eyeroll:

How would you know she was trying to score with him? He could have initiated contact with her.

By the way, it's thirteen years younger than SHE---not HER.

THIRTEEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN SHE [IS].
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/13/2017 11:37:57 AM

(AT) I have an excellent grasp of the English language, both written and spoken, and if I had meant to conflate the terms "misrepresenting" and "lying", I would have done so. Maybe you need to borrow HS' thesaurus...

(TPoYD) To see the word "lie" would appear?

(*shrug*) Like I said, if someone misrepresenting his/her age meets your criterion of "lying", and is a deal-breaker? Don't date him/her. Meanwhile, us grown-ups will approach life interpreting each situation as it occurs.

(AT) I said that *SOME* of the people who colour outside the lines are interesting. I didn't say *EVERYONE* who colours outside the lines is interesting.

(TPoYD) Aww, come on, now. Isn't this a matter of individual interpretation? Perhaps she handled things in a way she thought was "interesting"?

Hey! This is *MY* dime!

(AT) I wonder why no one is grilling her on what the heck she was doing trying to score with a guy who is *THIRTEEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN HER*. If it had been a 64 year-old man trying to connect with a 51 year-old woman, people would have fixated on *THAT*, to the exclusion of all else... :eyeroll:

(halcyon_skies) How would you know she was trying to score with him? He could have initiated contact with her.

Fair enough. Let's ask arwen52...

Who initiated contact, and why did you continue the discussion with a what you thought was a 51 year-old man?

(halcyon_skies) By the way, it's thirteen years younger than SHE---not HER.

Geeze, are you *STILL* sore about me schooling you in basic Latin?
 9Pluto
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2017 12:00:42 PM

Thirteen years younger than WHOM?

Ummmm.... Unless you are speaking Latin, THIRTEEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN HER is fine, but there's no need for Arlo to shout and set it off with asterisks, as if our hearing aids were acting up

Arlo, not everybody gives a flying duck about the age thing. The world belongs to the strong.
??
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/13/2017 12:17:20 PM

(9Pluto) Arlo, not everybody gives a flying duck about the age thing.

I am one of those apaytheytic souls. I nwas just pointing out thje glaring ndoublen standard, and enjoyinbg nthe logifc-slaughtering and cobntortions that wold ensue from the nattemptyed justification mof same.

(9Pluto) Thirteen years younger than WHOM?

Ummmm.... Unless you are speaking Latin, THIRTEEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN HER is fine,,,

HS is just sore over my having taken her to task for her having slaughtered remedial Latin... it is obviously still bothering her, so I wouldn't bring it up...
 ohenryx
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2017 12:43:16 PM

THIRTEEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN SHE [IS].

Hmmm…. It’s been a very long time since I studied English grammar. I’ll bet we have some teachers here in the group, what do YOU think?

To me, when you add the verb at the end (“IS”), then “SHE” is the subject, and SHE is correct, HER is incorrect.

But, without the verb, HER is an object, not a subject, and HER is correct.

I would tend to say that either usage is close enough, and absolutely nothing there for anyone to get their knickers in a twist.

We do find the silliest damn things to argue about, don't we?
 9Pluto
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2017 12:44:11 PM

I am one of those apathetic souls. I was just pointing out the glaring double standard, and enjoying the logic-slaughtering and contortions that would ensue from the attempted justification of same.

OK then someone give you a hall pass. HS leaves a wake of turmoil and destruction for sure. But she's my favorite grammar prince, so you better hang on to her. It is such a turn on to get slaughtered by her with help form the urban dictionary when playing scrabble. But I'm so lonely since she ran NYer off into the doghouse with a really nasty message

halcyon_skies
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/13/2017 1:44:20 PM

HS is just sore over my having taken her to task for her having slaughtered remedial Latin... it is obviously still bothering her, so I wouldn't bring it up...

Arlo, I'm not sore with you in the least. I was just giving you a taste of your own medicine, since you seem to take such utter delight in correcting other posters' grammar (as you did in message 47).

If you're going to act as the grammar police in here, wouldn't it make more sense if you first improved your own?
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/13/2017 1:58:26 PM

(AT) HS is just sore over my having taken her to task for her having slaughtered remedial Latin... it is obviously still bothering her, so I wouldn't bring it up...

(halcyon_skies) Arlo, I'm not sore with you in the least. I was just giving you a taste of your own medicine, since you seem to take such utter delight in correcting other posters' grammar (as you did in message 47).

And instead of "putting me in my place", you've gone and shown yourself to be an uptight prig. Nice going!

(halcyon_skies) If you're going to act as the grammar police in here, wouldn't it make more sense if you first improved your own?

The term is "Grammar Nazi".

All y'all make a grammar mistake with each reply: the subject line says, "Would you meet someone [NB, that's singular] whose profile says they [NB that is plural] are 10 years younger... ?" If you're going to play the role of starched-collared school m'arm, how can you bear to perpetuate that grammatical travesty?

Epic fail, doctor...
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2017 2:36:31 PM

Did he contact you first, or did you contact him first? The reason I ask is because this would make a difference to me personally, in how I felt about the deception. If I contacted the man first, I'd see it as a "bait and switch tactic", and I would probably dismiss him.

I think since in his *1st* message though stating that he's 61 not 51 -- regardless of who initiated 1st msg -- I think that pretty much takes care of the feeling that he was trying to bait & switch someone. I mean, obviously Not stating in his Profile that he's actually 61 in his wording at least -- regardless of who initiates 1st msg -- is to get the potentials' initial mindset thinking he's notably younger than he really is and to size him up outside that First.

But I see where you're coming from: I write a gal, Because I'm Attracted, *then* get told she's notably older. Oh. As opposed to she writes me 1st -- it's almost as if that Is part of the profile in a way, because I'm seeing That + Profile at the same time. However, as a guy at least, going on an online blitz, ya don't Pine over a gal or two's profile... you run thru, write the ones who seem potentially worthy of a date, and you move on. You get a response, THEN you pay attention. So from a typical guy's standpoint -- there's not much difference ("who was that gal again? Okay, she says she's 41 not 31... okay, lemme see who this is...").

In the end, I do understand 10 years is a big difference -- enough to be turned off. However, the funny thing is, even at his Actual older age, he's still younger than OP. :) In an odd way, it sort of shows Why a guy would do that by 10 years. I would assume at 61, he'd put 58 or 59. OR if going the 10-year-diff-route, wording that within his profile like some gals do.

Although guys shouldn't rely on gals looking Them up to write them anyway. So for the purpose of typical search-filters one may set, it's going to have a minimal effect, when in your 1st message you're going to tell them your real age anyway. In fact, even if just a 3-4 year difference, I wouldn't think it's worth it for a guy like he UNLESS his main goal is to break the +/- 14 year barrier that POF has set in (and that's Probably why). :)
 sun___flower
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2017 3:43:41 PM
DreamPig
What a positive outlook. Is this how you think of the chick who supposedly jerked you around?

Oh snap.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/13/2017 6:50:49 PM

(9Pluto) OK then someone give you a hall pass. HS leaves a wake of turmoil and destruction for sure.

She is a saucy wench, isn't she? But, that's part of her charm!

(9Pluto) But she's my favorite grammar prince, so you better hang on to her. It is such a turn on to get slaughtered by her with help form the urban dictionary when playing scrabble. But I'm so lonely since she ran NYer off into the doghouse with a really nasty message.

I perused that exchange. Classic halcyon_skies -- vitriolic, righteous, and totally b!tch!n'..
 9Pluto
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2017 1:29:48 PM

She is a saucy wench, isn't she? But, that's part of her charm!

Such an engouement for a knave, a rascal, and eater of broken meats!
Cheers!

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread. Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread. Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 cw35
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2017 4:10:20 PM
I see that on a lot of women's profiles. They always say they made a mistake and can't change it. They should realize that people know they're lying. You can't possibly type in the wrong age unless it's on purpose. Whenever I see it I instantly dismiss the person. The sad part is that it's obvious these people aren't the age they put in the profile just by looking at their photos. For some reason most people seem to look 20 years older than they actually are these days. Even a lot of 20 somethings look like they're in their 30s. Must be some harsh chemicals in the water or something.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/20/2017 10:40:37 PM
I would avoid a person who still had profile photos with the PlentyofFish.com logo at the bottom. That logo was discontinued by POF several years back. You know the photos have to be at least eight years old.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/21/2017 7:47:49 AM
70 year old flight attendants got too much mileage
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/21/2017 8:10:35 AM
^^^^ Says the guy with no pic. Hey Clooney, have you gotten that dental implant yet?

Profile_Cliche_Gurl
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/21/2017 6:26:01 PM
I've been around here since about 2004 or 2005. A number of forumites haven't aged a day in years!
 ohenryx
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2017 8:08:07 PM

Profile_cliche_girl
I've been around here since about 2004 or 2005. A number of forumites haven't aged a day in years!

Hmmm… I see no pictures at all on your profile. I also note a join date of 10/9/2017. So tell me, who did you use to be, little girl?

I like llama steaks drenched in a virgin's tears.

Woah, now that’s kinky. I like!!
 Profile_Cliche_Gurl
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/21/2017 11:00:41 PM
Oh jeeze, I've been so many people, I can't keep track. Let's see, I was once ugly, then in disguise, a spoiled brat, a paranoid android, and recently unknown. And with a profile like mine, who needs pictures?

The llama is organic free-range wild grain fed then viciously slaughtered while onlookers stomp and roar. Adds to the tenderness. You can guess why the virgin cried...
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/22/2017 3:30:56 AM
Well, OP (that's arwen52) hasn't been back to clarify why she was canoodling with a man whom she thought was 13 years her junior (hello, HS! ), so we're going to have to speculate. Myself, I'm of the "She was looking for an ambulatory s-e-x toy, and is all torqued because she thinks he can't go all Energizer Bunny on her." So, that square is taken.

Everyone, feel free to let your imaginations run wild! *WHY* was she doing it?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you meet someone whose profile says they are 10 years younger than they actually are?