Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What Can Be Done To Protect Us From A Homegrown Slaughter-Spree?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DDSearle
Msg: 51
view profile
History
What Can Be Done To Protect Us From A Homegrown Slaughter-Spree?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^^^
Some are too cool for their good
'Capice?'

^
And I doubt that anyone could prove something as dynamic or sensitive as the world's perception of Donald Trump
But the impression I get is that the leaders of, say, The People's Republic Of China take him more seriously than they did Obama & Co. The proof of perceiving him as a statesman would come about if the President were to announce a Ronald Reagan-style agreement with the Chinese &c, in which, say, the future of Taiwan is secured, or that, at home, an affordable universal healthcare system were established
 whosmeow
Msg: 52
What Can Be Done To Protect Us From A Homegrown Slaughter-Spree?
Posted: 11/8/2017 12:49:23 PM
Pop a couple of shots in the air and it will scare off most critters lurking around including bear. I get what others are saying; I do like my right to defend myself. Tougher gun laws are inevitable, and a necessity in todays America. However the madness wont end by taking everyone's fire arms away. The kool aid reference was to the Jonestown massacre. If we want throw technology in the mix, texting and driving kills more Americans than shooting rampages. Are we going to outlaw cell phones?
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/8/2017 12:58:56 PM
"texting and driving kills more Americans than shooting rampages. Are we going to outlaw cell phones?"

Don't be silly

Drinking and driving kills too but alcohol isn't " outlawed " .

Don't drink and/or text and drive

Don't sell guns to just anyone

Don't sell machine guns for the purpose of scaring off racoons.

ETC
 butheremails
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/8/2017 1:00:34 PM

However the madness wont end by taking everyone's fire arms away.

Great point, though there is only one problem with that. No one has said they need to take all the guns away.

If we want throw technology in the mix, texting and driving kills more Americans than shooting rampages. Are we going to outlaw cell phones?

Well for starters you would need to back up that claim, which is going be very hard to do seeing as most stats do not separate texting and driving from just distracted driving.

The other problem you will have is even is you do take all distracted drivers it still accounts for less than a 1/3 of deaths caused by guns in the USA.
 Kj521
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/8/2017 1:01:33 PM
And don't commit murder.

"The other problem you will have is even is you do take all distracted drivers it still accounts for less than a 1/3 of deaths caused by guns in the USA."

How many are by suicide?
 butheremails
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/8/2017 1:08:33 PM

How many are by suicide?

Oh yeah good point, as letting people with suicidal thoughts easy access to gun, so they take the easy way out and just blow their heads off is not an indication of a gun problem.

I guess you will be happy to know that the majority of these people are ex service people so when you illegitimate kid either quits or gets kicked out of the military, you can take solace in knowing that if he is struggling with any issues he will just reach for a gun and not reach out for help.

And if he does so you will not have to worry about counting him in those stats as clearly those dead people do not count, well at least in your mind they don't.
 deetristate
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/8/2017 1:37:48 PM
in 2012 and 2014, it was about 65% suicide, kj

about 2/3 in 2015-2016.
 chameleonf
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2017 2:29:20 PM
Here are more stats with drop downs. https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-by-the-numbers/

While true that suicide by gun is (or was at the time of the above link) disproportionately higher than the remainder of gun "deaths", this does not include injury - just deaths. Apparently for every one gun death there are two more injured at an average rate of 200 per day (or 73,000 per year), and that doesn't state the degree of injury (ya know, like those who have been shot in the head and survive, but vegetatively). I don't know about you, but as bad as suicide by gun is, injury and death to others who don't have a say in the matter would be of even more concern to me. The opioid epidemic is decried because of the loss of life and collateral damage caused to families and others members of society because of it. There were 64,000 people who died from drug overdoses in 2016 and as at 2015 12,979 homicides by gun and climbing yearly. Between the two, it's like you have a war going on within your own borders with more deaths caused from within than actual active war outside your borders. And yet...hand wringing, prayers, and deflection to other means of death is the order of the day, on top of "now is not the time to discuss it" or "let's not politicize it". Apathy seems to rule the day...or a fear that a "change" to the 2nd Amendment means giving up the precious guns altogether, rather than well thought out, national, logical regulations.
 trinity818
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2017 2:42:14 PM

so when you illegitimate kid either quits or gets kicked out of the military, you can take solace in knowing that if he is struggling with any issues he will just reach for a gun and not reach out for help.

Ouch. Low blow man. That was uncalled for.

On topic... Like most people, I think semi-automatic weapons should be off-limits. If you limit the number of rounds that can be fired rapidly, it would hopefully cut down on the number of casualties in these situations.
 Kj521
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/8/2017 2:47:43 PM
"Oh yeah good point, as letting people with suicidal thoughts easy access to gun, so they take the easy way out and just blow their heads off is not an indication of a gun problem."

Let me help you, Frank. Simplicity, is your friend, here. :)

"people with suicidal thoughts" with "easy access to gun" "is not an indication of a gun problem."

The problem.....is the suicidal ideations and intentions.

"you illegitimate kid"

I am assuming you meant "your" so I'll give you "Queen Biatch" points for that. :D

And might I say....the World is a much better place without any offspring from you....legitimate or otherwise. And hopefully....you have no access to anyone else's. :/
 gtomustang
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/8/2017 3:26:33 PM
"Pop a couple of shots in the air and it will scare off most critters lurking around including bear."

>>>Actually, animals don't really go to school and learn that a gunshot means a bullet means death. Its the loud sound that scares the animal away (I live out in the sticks, I don't need a gunshot to scare animals off, just loud, sudden noises). If memory serves, the first big gun law in America came after President JFK was killed by a rifle bought thru the mail.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/50-years-after-JFK-mail-order-guns-still-easy-4988480.php

This past summer, I think it was Firearms News that advertised on its front cover, a website where for $330 one could order a mold to make your own polymer lower AR-15 receiver, and the best part the magazine said was...it wouldn't have a serial number. But we could consider enforcing some of the laws we already have, rather than let the gun lobby get in the way:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/09/politics/obama-executive-orders-gun-control-enforcement-gap/index.html

https://mic.com/articles/22802/gun-control-facts-existing-gun-laws-would-reduce-crime-but-these-are-not-enforced#.SEjlWF9oa

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/judicial/281559--give-law-enforcement-the-power-to-enforce-current-gun-laws

The text and drive reference was neat--does the GOP ever scold people for politicizing it? why not? does anyone say we can't do a thing about it? why not? Why do we put more effort into that, paying to study its effects when we won't fund a government research into gun deaths?

(btw, about suicides...how many of these mass shooters commited suicide on scene?)

here's a radical thought:

"The paranoid right-wing fringe believes it needs guns to overthrow the government—and even so-called GOP moderates are pandering to them."

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-real-reason-we-cant-have-gun-control/
 Kj521
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/8/2017 3:44:55 PM
Here's a radical thought.....

How about we ban all registered Democrats from owning a gun and see what happens with the shooting death rate and take it from there. :)

chameleonf
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2017 3:56:31 PM
^So you're about banning instead of reforming or enforcing existing laws?? Wellll, the statistics may go down if you ban Republicans rather than Democracts:
In addition, gun ownership is strongly linked to party affiliation: While 44% of Republicans and independents who lean to the Republican Party say they own a gun, only 20% of Democrats and Democratic leaners say the same.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/22/key-takeaways-on-americans-views-of-guns-and-gun-ownership/
 butheremails
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/8/2017 3:58:07 PM

"people with suicidal thoughts" with "easy access to gun" "is not an indication of a gun problem."

The problem.....is the suicidal ideations and intentions.

Which is like saying that access to condoms does not reduce teen pregnancy as it is a problem with people just wanting to have sex.

You are failing to understand that more people kill themselves in the USA with guns not because there are more people that want to kill themselves, but because they have easy access to guns.

And might I say....the World is a much better place without any offspring from you....legitimate or otherwise. And hopefully....you have no access to anyone else's. :/

You might say that, but the truth is, people like you who make excuses for mass murders and who stand against people who want to make the world a safer place are the ones that are truly scum.

How about we ban all registered Democrats from owning a gun and see what happens with the shooting death rate and take it from there. :)

While you are at it, why don't you attempt to provide some reasoning for your claim.

Opps hold on I forgot who i was asking, as it is clear you can never back up anything you claim.

Though if anyone reads your profile it is clear you like to play fast and lose with teh truth anyway. Or maybe you are just that desperate for another meal ticket you are willing to lie on your profile.

Either way, more proof you are nothing but a Chino there Becky.
 Kj521
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/8/2017 4:22:29 PM
"Which is like saying that access to condoms does not reduce teen pregnancy as it is a problem with people just wanting to have sex."

So....does increasing access to condoms....prevent individuals from getting pregnant....that are intentionally trying to get pregnant? (Btw....your logic in that analogy....well...sucks. )

"excuses for mass murders"

Excuses? Uh...no. That would be wanting to get to the....root cause. :)

"While you are at it, why don't you attempt to provide some reasoning for your claim."

How about it would be a viable option to test whether "banning" guns leads to a reduction in shooting deaths.

"Either way, more proof you are nothing but a Chino there Becky."

And more proof you are nothing but a Biatchy Queen. ;) ;)
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/8/2017 4:47:01 PM
Well, here is the solution

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/detroit-pastor-defends-himself-with-firearm.153769/

All pastors must now 'pack iron'.....(sayeth the Lord).........that is...if your Lord is Satan

But wait...the pastor (good guy with gun), was arrested after the shooting..........NOT FAIR!
He is one of us........a man who will no doubt protect his flock diligently, against all would be intruders

yes, even the ones whose wife he (allegedly) slept with!

So remember dear parishners.....be on your guard...and at the first sign of trouble, just blow him/her away
and do not worry, for tis better to be judged by 12...then be carried out by 6

May the gun be on you!..........and prayeth in one piece!
 whosmeow
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/8/2017 4:50:59 PM
"The text and drive reference was neat--does the GOP ever scold people for politicizing it? why not? does anyone say we can't do a thing about it? why not? Why do we put more effort into that, paying to study its effects when we won't fund a government research into gun deaths"?

Everyone posting can look up the stats nationally and on a state to state basis; cell phone use while driving kills thousands of people a year. Call it "distracted" driving, or what ever label you wish. Never mind how many alcohol/drug related vehicular deaths they are in this nation. Why are current laws not enforced? A better question would be why are they ignored? Its socially acceptable to have a drink and drive, or drive while talking on a cell phone. Its currently not socially acceptable to be a member of the NRA, or be a gun owner.

As a reminder this holiday season DONT DRINK AND DRIVE. The lives you change are not just your own. Let me add STAY OFF YOUR PHONE too.
 Walts
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/8/2017 5:08:33 PM
Can we agree mental issue is part of the issue with these shootings??????

And if so, does that mean America has more mental issues with your citizens than any country in the world????

Cause, your number 1 in deaths caused during these mass shootings. So by default, you must be number 1 with mental issues.

Yes?

No??
 Kj521
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/8/2017 5:17:12 PM
I will agree with that Walts.

America needs to fix its' mental heath system.

whosmeow
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/8/2017 5:30:10 PM
It is apparent our system is failing its most needy residents, especially PSTD in the military.
 DDSearle
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2017 5:39:22 PM
^^^
North Americans are no more neurotic or mad than any other nationals. But in the U S A, with its generous civil or legal niceties, the psychopathic, evil or criminal can express such a side of themselves without too much fear of retribution. And that may be a kind of encouragement or excuse for unsocial behaviour. Hence, they'll emerge all over. And that 'drug'-users are ofen said to be addicts is a sign of that
 butheremails
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/8/2017 5:49:40 PM

Excuses? Uh...no. That would be wanting to get to the....root cause. :)

Nope that is just you skirting around the facts.

How about it would be a viable option to test whether "banning" guns leads to a reduction in shooting deaths.

Nothing, as no one other than yourself has said anything about banning guns, as that is stupid.

Look if you are not smart enough to understand that the only thing different between the USA and the rest of the world is that in the USA it is easy to get a gun then you are either dumb or disingenuous.

And after looking at the lies in your profile I am leaning towards the disingenuous, though maybe those are there just because you are desperate, but either way shows you are willing to lie to get what you want.
 Kj521
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/8/2017 6:09:02 PM
"but either way shows you are willing to lie to get what you want."

Thank goodness you came back, Frank!

Please....Puh-leeze.....tell me what it is I want that I am willing to lie for it!

I've been trying to figure it out forever and still can't come up with an answer! Can't seem to find anything worth lying or telling the truth for that I don't already have. :)

"Nothing, as no one other than yourself has said anything about banning guns, as that is stupid."

Really? It has been a sentiment of the left for quite some time. Who is disingenuous?

"Dianne Feinstein, the senior Senator from California, who is leading the gun control push in the Senate said in a 1995 interview, after getting her assault weapons ban passed, “If I could have banned them all – ‘Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns’ – I would have!”

"NY Governor Andrew Cuomo said in a radio interview in late December (audio below), “Confiscation could be an option…mandatory sale to the state could be an option.”
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-qq8pootc4[/youtube]"
 butheremails
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/8/2017 6:12:00 PM
If you think you have heard KJ's argument before, you are correct as it is the position of the gun lobby to try and divert the attention away from the gun problem that is going on today.

This video highlights how tRump is once again making things worse, but his worshipers love it because they love undoing anything that liberals came up with.

It is the same reason why the ones that claim they are against abortions will be happy when places like planned parenthood get de-funded which has been proven to cause an increase in the total number of abortions, as they are too simple to see past their hate.

One of Trump's first acts was to throw out Obama era rule restricting gun ownership for the mentally ill. So I guess he's right when he says it was a mental health problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=ETWNXT4dSjM
 butheremails
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/8/2017 6:15:48 PM

Really? It has been a sentiment of the left for quite some time. Who is disingenuous?

Once again that is yourself.

As that is the crying call of the right and the reason why under Obama gun sales where through the roof as all the simple folks like yourself thought Obama was going to take away their guns.

So grow up and stop being so paranoid.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What Can Be Done To Protect Us From A Homegrown Slaughter-Spree?