Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Great bands from the 1980s?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 26
Great bands from the 1980s?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I couldn't get in to Journey for the same reason a lot of people can't get in to Rush : the sound of the vox.

But, I do like " lovin, touchin, squeezing " and " Lights "

PS the song you're referring to is called " Don't STOP believing "
 et_non_viderunt
Msg: 27
Great bands from the 1980s?
Posted: 12/14/2017 12:31:18 PM
These days I don't really listen to stuff from my youth, bought bits and pieces as MP3 files, listen now and again.
Plenty of good bands, Big Black, Scratch Acid, Husker Du, Black Flag, Dinosaur Jr, Meat Puppets.
Some that started in the 80's and continued on, Butthole Surfers, The Jesus Lizard, Swans, Sonic Youth.
First Mudhoney album just makes it (1989), still a good record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sck8rofqjGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TxEo9iVNGE

I left school in 1986 just as the rave scene was breaking, student days were interesting, the was usually some unlicensed weekender happening somewhere, the law would eventually arrive to break it up, more often than not things would turn nasty. This song (90's I know, I know) captures the mood of those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlEs9udOquE
 junipermoon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2017 5:06:54 PM
the 1980s. wow. college rock.
i drove a 1978 gmc hornet. it sucked, but it had a kick-ass eight-track player.
blondie. talking heads. the stones. b-52s. queen (hell, yeah). bruce. the velvets.
but then, i listened to a lot of garage-type underground stuff that should have blown everyone out of the water. awesome riffs, killer vocals and mind-blowing lyrics. i mean people like the modern lovers and the vipers. what happened to them? they ruled hell as far as i was concerned.
and i followed the dead. i sold dyes in the parking lots, did the requisite ingestibles, wore dyes and gauze skirts, braids and everything else.
the underground stuff, though. i wish you could still hear that. it was the real deal.
 CBGB77
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 11:06:43 AM
I saw these bands in the past couple of years: The Replacements,Buzzcocks,Shonen Knife,Sleater-Kinney, Bush,Flaming Lips,Primus,The Meat Puppets, Soul Asylum,Social Distortion,The Psychedelic Furs,The Church,Beach House, (Franz Ferdinand and) Sparks,The Jayhawks,Babes In Toyland,Grant Hart(Husker Du),The Honeydogs, and Suburbs.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2017 7:23:25 AM
CBGB
My one and only trip to new york a few years back saw us staying just around the corner from the cbgb club. It's on the bowery isn't it?

Tried to get a cab back to there from the old hells kitchen. The geezer couldnt understand my Scottish accent. Christ knows the route he took but i noticed a building near the apartments were in.

It's a clothes shop is it not? Telly over here had Brian Johnstone from ac/dc doing an interview with sting. They both come from newcastle. They went into the shop and sting showd him around a bit.

This gig archive site is brilliant. Lists Edinburgh's venues and who played there. It includes ticket stumps, flyers, posters and in some cases photies of the band performing. Youd be surprised some of the big names who were support bands back in the day. Covers from the early 70's to the 90's.

Go to the empire theatre if you like david bowie. Two shows as ziggy there AND photies from both shows.

My first gig was watching Mick Ronson on his first solo tour after bowie split the band. Loads of old punk and new wave bands as well.

And the youtube thing. I posted this clip before but here it is again. Its kurt cobain and dave grohl playing acoustic in a boozer i used to drink in. The Southern Bar up Edinburgh's Southside. It's only two and a bit tracks but it is part of Edinburgh's musical history.

http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjiT7lqsAw

And just this week the local newspaper here informed us that joan baez's ma was an Edinburgh lassie.

Wee bit off topic but hopefully of interest to some of yous.

Toodle pip

Ps the gig archive site. Tiffanys. Iggy Pop. I was there that night. The barrier collapsed at the front of the stage. And the photie with the iggy pop graffitti was done by a pal of mine (although i didnt know him at that time)
 CBGB77
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2017 2:48:27 PM
Cool website,thanks for sharing!
 CBGB77
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2017 2:54:02 PM
The Nirvana video is cool too. I saw them in 1993 at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St Paul,MN. I'm friends with the band Shonen Knife and they opened for Nirvana that night so they put me and my (now ex)wife on the guest list for that show. It was great! The Breeders were also on that bill that night.
 CBGB77
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2017 4:44:53 PM
Yes CBGB was(is?) in the Bowery. I haven't been there since the late 70s. I think the last band I saw there was Wire. There used to be a CBGB Theater too. It was on 2nd Avenue. I saw The Jam there in 78.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2017 3:49:04 AM
CBGB
There have been some boss bands over the years eh? The 80's for me will always be about my all time favourite band. The Smiths.

Got all vinyl, then the cassette, then the micro cd then the cd's. Never a day goes by without me listening to a Smiths tune. Joy Division, New Order (do you mind years back Ron Asheton from the Stooges had a band called The New Order?) Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds.

Seen nick cave in glasgow one night where the first half of the show was the new album. The second half were requests. Now they have double figures in albums. That is some feat.

Mind going to the Scottish festival T in the Park one year and the dandy warhols were meant to be on early doors. They pulled out and the strokes replaced them. The next t in the park had the strokes headlining.

Do yous get the cable channel sky arts over the pond? They done a series of plays. One was called snodgrass. It was about john lennon leaving the beatles before they hit the big time and what he would be doing now.

Also this below. Its called stella street. Loads of celebrities live on stella street. Mick and Keith own the corner shop. Mick saying because they were getting old they needed something to fall back on. Each episode is 10 mins.

Michael caine, david bowie, jack nicholson, joe pesci and a horde of other are there. Gie it a gander you might enjoy it.

Stella Street episode 1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oIot-vgqJBA
 CBGB77
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2017 9:22:05 AM
Thanks Vlad,never saw that show before.Thanks for the vid! I like the Smiths too. Girlfriend in a Coma,lol Did you ever hear Ron Asheton's band "Destroy All Monsters" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MZIQWhSdOo
 vlad dracul
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2017 6:25:34 AM
CBGB

"Thanks Vlad,never saw that show before.Thanks for the vid! I like the Smiths too. Girlfriend in a Coma,lol Did you ever hear Ron Asheton's band "Destroy All Monsters" ?"

November the 22nd 1963 resides in my vinyl collection. And as my lassie bought me a fuzzy warble (AClockwork Orange) player for my birthday i can see it making an appearance after many years. Also had the single with Bored and Your Gonna Die as well.

Seen auld Iggy a few times as a solo artist. The shows were usually confrontational. I liked the New York Dolls as well.

A mate of mine is the one of the geezers who runs the Neu Reekie arts thingy in Scotland (mainly Edinburgh though) he was in New York and met Richard Hell. He ended up doing an interview for Kev.

Have you heard the french band Nouvelle Vague? Look up their versions of Depeche Modes Master and Servant. And Bauhaus' Bela Lugosi's Dead.

Seen the Dead Boys in Edinburgh as well (have a vinyl album of theirs as well) they were support band The Damned.
 Paulineandsalem
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/30/2017 6:32:00 AM
Depeche mode. The jesus and Mary chain. Echo and the bunnymen, the smiths.

A flock of seagulls. Duran Duran.

I've seen Depeche mode live twice now
 Paulineandsalem
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/30/2017 6:33:18 AM
Depeche mode have had an influence on loads of other bands.

No better band live and dave gahan has the best voice in the business as far as I'm concerned
 juliette_spice
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/28/2018 9:34:39 PM
I still like to listen to Duran Duran.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Great bands from the 1980s?