Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > The feel good thread      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NewYorker58
Msg: 126
view profile
History
The feel good threadPage 6 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Vlad, I lived in Brooklyn in NYS and I lived in NYC. New York may have a better selection for shopping, and depending on the currency exchange, it could cost less to shop in New York. That's crazy that a New Yorker would think you're Russian, because we have so many Russians there, they should know the difference. I lived in New York until I was 40, then moved to Washington State for the outdoor activities I like to do. It's a beautiful lush green state too. The first few months I was here, I was down by the water and saw a spectacular event that was rare where a few Orca pods got together, so there were 30 orcas traveling down the Puget Sound, which made the national news.

Heaven, your garden sounds very nice and natural with it's offerings to wildlife. I get a mix of foods since they all like different things. I buy a 20lb bag of corn mixed with sunflower seeds and peanuts, then buy hulled millet and add in rolled oats.

Roxy, mice are around, whether people see them or not. I have to think that mice were stealing my cherry tomatoes I had growing right as they were ripening. The squirrels particularly like the corn, as do my family of Stellar Bluejays. I really wish I didn't have squirrels, because they drop fleas and then my dog gets them, but I did get into hand-feeding them peanuts. I don't mind the bees so much. They stay in the flowers where they should be (I have 7 huge rhododendrums), but the Wasps are a different story and can sting you multiple times where the bees only sting you once. I disturbed a wasp nest and got 13th stings! They are horrendous because it goes from pain to itching from those stings for several days.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 127
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/9/2018 7:35:37 AM
Congrats! You want to leave because you can’t hide your profile to avoid messages? Just ignore them and stay :)

Bees while busy are quite docile, wasps are aggressive, I don’t like either.
The birds also like tomatoes so that’s a possibility too.
13 stings!? I’d have cried like a big blubbering baby!

I got bitten by a spider a few months ago. Still got the fang scars, 3 sets.
I was thinking, local spiders just don’t do that but have since come across two nasty buggers in my house that could easily have been the culprit. Chucked em outdoors.
 Hotbeaching
Msg: 128
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/9/2018 8:37:22 AM
£1,671.78p tax rebate, happy days
 heavenlivesnear
Msg: 129
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/9/2018 8:49:54 AM
whhoooooohooooo... next round is on beaching...
lucky you.. i had to pay in this year :-)

pink... you can hide your profile.. its a little button that you are looking for but it is there. possibly under the edit profile tab.??
 try1more
Msg: 131
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/9/2018 10:18:41 AM
don't forget to go to the bottom of the edit page and hit ok or update or whatever it's called, or the change will not be applied.

it does hide you from anyone that is not in your inbox (i think) and yes it doesn't hide you from being found on the forum.
you also vanish from the viewed and viewed me, and don't show online above the inbox aswell far as i recall.

edit: as far as i know if you have swopped messages with someone but haven't messaged for a while, if you try to message them again it gets treated as a first message, to try that out if you have someone that you've not messaged for a while on your contact list try hitting the send message button below their pic. when i done it, it said something like you have no conversation with them or summat like that.
 Squareslice
Msg: 132
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/9/2018 3:14:50 PM
Aye, Vlad, the whole ad was shot in the city centre, at the SECC and Govan.
Ah'll call it footie cos I prefer sport to fitba, man lol

As for magpies, ye don't need a special license to shoot 2 birds in the UK.... wood pigeons and magpies are classed as vermin.
The black hearted bastids kill other birds ye ken
 Hostess68
Msg: 133
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/10/2018 12:06:21 AM
Good Morning!
I'm feeling good!
4 days off! Hoorah!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 134
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/10/2018 2:40:07 AM
4 days off eh? Lounging and watching the world go by. That was my plan. Mainly finish the job in glasgow today. Clean everything up the morns morning get wages then hame to Edinburgh to get a few beers and try out the new chippy thats just opened next to the boozer at the bottom of my street.

A special fish supper with SALT N SAUCE and a couple of pickles. Monday up to collect my prescription which without i cannot function. Tuesday up to see rat bairn and the grandbairns. Wee job weds, thurs and friday morning.

Saturday football through the day and my mates wedding reception at night. All great. Except

The toilet is one of those tight against the wall ones. Ill fitting bog seat as well. Bottom (arf arf) line is the seat slid, the undercrackers got soaked.

Then fitting some door handles. The cordless slipped and went into my thumb.

So bah and humbug it is .
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 135
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/10/2018 2:57:12 AM
I`ve just been today 10/02/18 to collect my car from a local dealer so its going to be good to be back mobile again..so now I feel pretty good..
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 136
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/10/2018 12:02:18 PM
^^Are we safe on the roads Bryan? ;)
 NewYorker58
Msg: 137
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/10/2018 3:21:41 PM
Square, I didn't know they kill other birds. I do know they're a menace in some places and are killed like c0ckatoos are too. They can devastate crops. I have woodpeckers by me, but don't put out food to attract them. If they like your house, they'll hang out and peck holes in it. They look like the carton character Woody the Woodpecker with that red crest. Sounds like him too.
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 138
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 1:33:44 AM
Hey there young Roxy,

How`s tricks?

I`d like to think that everyone`s safe when I`m driving, I spent 12 months with the West Yorkshire Police as a driver trainer at their inhouse defensive driving and development centre a few years ago and it was a real eye opener and really enjoyable, I was pretty gutted when the person I was covering for returned but I still have all the skills I learned and taught.
 rekirked
Msg: 139
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 2:02:21 AM
Yes Bryan but can you do a J turn while holding a tuna and cucumber sandwich?
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 140
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 3:47:19 AM
duh! Why did I think ‘j’ stood for junction.
I did one in the snow once, scared me half to death.

Bryan that sounds interesting. I was only being a sexist pig with my comment :)

In.The.Net.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 141
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 6:56:57 AM
I just learnt how to do a j turn!! According to youtube, its easy once you know how. So I'm off down Sainsbrys car park to try. ( where I once did a double 360 degree turn in the snow and somehow managed not to injure myself, the car, anything or anyone else.)
 vlad dracul
Msg: 142
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 8:26:04 AM
Bryan
"Yes Bryan but can you do a J turn while holding a tuna and cucumber sandwich?"

Now that is a fair request from kirk. Although i do wonder about the choice of filling. It sounds suspiciously like a south of watford filling.

Now as a person who works in highcliffe in dorset quite a lot i have had to eat some horrendous southern engandshire take away foods. But I WILL give them a try.

Would any of yous englandshire lot try this below though? Although it is on sale away over the west coast here, no doubt Edinburgh will get a version soon.

It is only fair i try one when the chance arises and report back to yous good folk. Sort of like the best take away VD guide type thing.

Slice. You should be heading to the shop as an advance guard gadgie.........

"Scotland has a long tradition of unusual national dishes – from the battered Mars bar to the stonner kebab and munchie box.

Now a new creation is joining their ranks – the salt and chilli pizza crunch.

But nutritionists have warned customers not to make it a regular meal – as the snack has more calories than 22 bags of crisps.

The meal has been described as three national dishes rolled into one – Italian pizza, Chinese flavours and Scottish, er, frying.

Each slice is battered then placed in a wok to be cooked alongside the spices.

I went down to the Pearl River to get a taste of the action myself – and I wasn’t disappointed.

The crunch was soft and I could taste every single layer. Batter, dough, cheese, dough, batter. Topped off with a real chilli kick.

It was greasy, it was cheesy, it was messy – but it was surprisingly palatable.

I had four more slices just to make sure.

My only regret came at 2am when I woke with a mouth drier than the Sahara desert.*

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/move-over-deep-fried-mars-11963472

*well d'uh surely you keep a couple of beers next to your cot in case of emergencies.
 billybonds
Msg: 143
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 11:53:32 AM
Well I'm in a small car park in ewell just googled j turn and got a guy with a baseball hat drawling and a crawling with some blonde girl in a mustang and she's being taught j turns and Jimmy Rockfords. And you know what I discovered that I'm ahead of them because I've been doing k turns all my life. So I'm going to skip the old j s
 NewYorker58
Msg: 144
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 12:56:02 PM
I have a stick shift (manual shift) Mustang. I don't think I'll be doing that though. It looks hard on a car, at least from the video I saw.

I've heard a lot about haggis, none of it being good☺
 vlad dracul
Msg: 145
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 2:01:08 PM
New yorker
"I've heard a lot about haggis, none of it being good?"

Ah but who has been doing the telling though? Probably some haggiophobe that's who missus. The Great Chieftain O The Puddin Race.

"Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, traditionally encased in the animal's stomach[1] though now often in an artificial casing instead."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

It is quite difficult to get real haggis as described above. Most of the Offal butchers are now gone. You have to mind that poor folk had to utilise every part of the animal.

Nowadays an Edinburgh firm called MacSweens have the haggis market sewn up.

"Simply lamb, beef, oats, onions and spices, nothing more, nothing less.

Haggis is basically like an oaty, spicy mince and a great source of iron, fibre and carbohydrate with no artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives.

Each haggis maker will have a slightly different recipe, but this is the way our Grandfather made it and we think it’s the best tasting recipe there is!

Our vegetarian haggis is a combination of healthy fresh vegetables, mushrooms, pulses, oats, onions and seeds. It is approved by the vegetarian society and is suitable for vegans, but is loved by meat-eaters too.
http://www.macsween.co.uk/what-is-haggis/

When guzzlin haggis you also have champit neeps and tatties. It is a good scran. You can also buy haggis in chip shops up here.

Have you heard of our national bard Robert Burns? Every year on the 25th January Burns Suppers are held the world over. Our Bard is particularly well liked in Russia. Here is the running order to a Burns Supper. You should seek one out next year. There's bound to be a Scottish Society somewhere close to you..........

Burns Night

The Burns Supper is an institution of Scottish life: a night to celebrate the life and works of the national Bard. Suppers can range from an informal gathering of friends to a huge, formal dinner full of pomp and circumstance. This running order covers all the key elements you need to plan and structure a Burns Supper that suits your intentions.

Piping in the guests

A big-time Burns Night calls for a piper to welcome guests. If you don't want all that baggage, some traditional music will do nicely. For more formal events, the audience should stand to welcome arriving guests: the piper plays until the high table is ready to be seated, at which point a round of applause is due. At a more egalitarian gathering - with no high table - the chair can simply bang on the table to draw attention to the start of the evening's proceedings.

Chairman's welcome

The Chair (host/organiser) warmly welcomes and introduces the assembled guests and the evening's entertainment.

The Selkirk Grace

A short but important prayer read to usher in the meal, The Selkirk Grace is also known as Burns's Grace at Kirkcudbright. Although the text is often printed in English, it is usually recited in Scots.

Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.

Piping in the haggis

Guests should normally stand to welcome the dinner's star attraction, which should be delivered on a silver platter by a procession comprising the chef, the piper and the person who will address the Haggis. A whisky-bearer should also arrive to ensure the toasts are well lubricated.

During the procession, guests clap in time to the music until the Haggis reaches its destination at the table. The music stops and everyone is seated in anticipation of the address To a Haggis.

Address to the haggis

The honoured reader now seizes their moment of glory by offering a fluent and entertaining rendition of To a Haggis. The reader should have his knife poised at the ready. On cue (His knife see Rustic-labour dight), he cuts the casing along its length, making sure to spill out some of the tasty gore within (trenching its gushing entrails).

Warning: it is wise to have a small cut made in the haggis skin before it is piped in. Instances are recorded of top table guests being scalded by flying pieces of haggis when enthusiastic reciters omitted this precaution! Alternatively, the distribution of bits of haggis about the assembled company is regarded in some quarters as a part of the fun...

The recital ends with the reader raising the haggis in triumph during the final line Gie her a haggis!, which the guests greet with rapturous applause.

Toast to the haggis

Prompted by the speaker, the audience now joins in the toast to the haggis. Raise a glass and shout: The haggis! Then it's time to serve the main course with its traditional companions, neeps and tatties. In larger events, the piper leads a procession carrying the opened haggis out to the kitchen for serving; audience members should clap as the procession departs.

The meal

Served with some suitable background music, the sumptuous Bill o' Fare includes:-

Starter

Traditional****a-leekie soup;

Main course
Haggis, neeps & tatties (Haggis wi' bashit neeps an' champit tatties);

Sweet
Clootie Dumpling (a pudding prepared in a linen cloth or cloot) or Typsy Laird (a Scottish sherry trifle);

Cheeseboard with bannocks (oatcakes) and tea/coffee.
Variations do exist: beef lovers can serve the haggis, neeps & tatties as a starter with roast beef or steak pie as the main dish. Vegetarians can of course choose vegetarian haggis, while pescatarians could opt for a seafood main course such as Cullen Skink.

For more detailed information about the food on Burns Night, read How to host a Burns Night supper over on the BBC Food blog.

The drink

Liberal lashings of wine or ale should be served with dinner and it's often customary to douse the haggis with a splash of whisky sauce, which, with true Scots understatement, is neat whisky.

After the meal, it's time for connoisseurs to compare notes on the wonderful selection of malts served by the generous chair.

The first entertainment

The nervous first entertainer follows immediately after the meal. Often it will be a singer or musician performing Burns songs such as:-

My Luve is Like a Red Red Rose;

Rantin', Rovin' Robin;

John Anderson, my jo; or

Ae Fond Kiss, and Then We Sever.

Alternatively it could be a moving recital of a Burns poem, with perennial preference for:-

Tam o' Shanter;

Holy Willie's Prayer;

To a Louse;

Address to the Unco Guid; or

For a' that and a' that.

The immortal memory

The keynote speaker takes the stage to deliver a spell-binding oratoration on the life of Robert Burns: his literary genius, his politics, his highs and lows, his human frailty and - most importantly - his nationalism. The speech must bridge the dangerous chasm between serious intent and sparkling wit, painting a colourful picture of Scotland's beloved Bard.

The speaker concludes with a heart-felt toast: To the Immortal Memory of Robert Burns!

The second entertainment

The chair introduces more celebration of Burns' work, preferably a poem or song to complement the earlier entertainment.

Toast to the Lassies

The humorous highlight of any Burns Night comes in this toast, which is designed to praise the role of women in the world today. This should be done by selective quotation from Burns's works and should build towards a positive note. Particular reference to those present makes for a more meaningful toast.

The toast concludes: To the Lassies!

The final entertainment

The final course of the evening's entertainment comprises more Burns readings.

Reply to the Toast to the Lassies

Revenge for the women present as they get their chance to reply.

Vote of thanks

The chair now climbs to his potentially unsteady feet to thank everyone who has contributed to a wonderful evening and to suggest that taxis will arrive shortly.

Auld Lang Syne

The chair closes the proceedings by inviting guests to stand and belt out a rousing rendition of Auld Lang Syne. The company joins hands and sings as one, having made sure to brush up on those difficult later lines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/robertburns/burns_night_running_order.shtml

Although to my eternal shame i have never been to a full on Burns Supper. But i have attended a few through football. Which usually descends into much drunkedness and football songs.

Ps no sure how near Seattle you are but this lot hold Burns Suppers

http://www.whateverchoir.org/burns
 NewYorker58
Msg: 146
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/11/2018 7:06:03 PM
We do have those dinners here. It would be interesting to attend, but I don't think I would be eating the food. Haggis actually sounds like an Italian sandwich that is called vastedda, made with organ Meats. This blurb says spleen, but they use other organs too. Organ meats are actually very nutritious:

"Vastedda is the traditional Sicilian bread used to prepare the Pani ca meusa, a sandwich of veal spleen. It often also includes toppings of caciocavallo and ricotta cheese. It is most common in the city of Palermo."

When police officers are killed in the line of duty here, they play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes during their memorial ceremony.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 147
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/12/2018 12:36:26 AM
New Yorker
"Haggis actually sounds like an Italian sandwich that is called vastedda, made with organ Meats. This blurb says spleen, but they use other organs too. Organ meats are actually very nutritious:"

We have a tv show in Scotland with some italian chef geezer called gino d'campo. He was in florence and he showed us the street food. Is this the same thing you meant?.........

"Before leaving the city, Gino encounters a historic speciality - ‘lampredotto’. This popular Florentine street food is made from cow’s stomach – but is Gino game for eating it?"

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week36/gino’s-italian-escape-taste-sun

""Vastedda is the traditional Sicilian bread used to prepare the Pani ca meusa, a sandwich of veal spleen. It often also includes toppings of caciocavallo and ricotta cheese. It is most common in the city of Palermo."

We have a Sicilian bakery in Edinburgh and it is the dogs bollocks. Everything made on the premises. The cakes are fantastic. Every time I'm down Leith i try to blag something...........

"When police officers are killed in the line of duty here, they play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes during their memorial ceremony."

Aye we see that quite a lot on the telly over here. So is there no controversy about Amazing Grace seeing as how the geezer who wrote it was involved in the slave trade? It must be a quandry for the snowflake liberal types hearing black folks singing a song written by someone involved in said slave trade?.........

"Amazing Grace" is a Christian hymn published in 1779, with words written by the English poet and Anglican clergyman John Newton (1725–1807).

Newton wrote the words from personal experience.

He grew up without any particular religious conviction, but his life's path was formed by a variety of twists and coincidences that were often put into motion by his recalcitrant insubordination. He was pressed (conscripted) into service in the Royal Navy, and after leaving the service, he became involved in the Atlantic slave trade.

In 1748, a violent storm battered his vessel off the coast of County Donegal, Ireland, so severely that he called out to God for mercy, a moment that marked his spiritual conversion.

He continued his slave trading career until 1754 or 1755, when he ended his seafaring altogether and began studying Christian theology."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

And just to lob a cat in amongst those there pigeons did you know about the last verse of englandshires national anthem god save the king/queen?

Oooo they are wee rascals so they are eh? It's enough to make me consider turning snowflake. Rebellious Scots to crush indeed. Tsk.........

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the King"

I need a safe space and counselling after reading that. And compensation. And an apology. And a few beers would be nice as well. And maybe a nice T bone steak with peas and chips.
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 148
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/12/2018 12:37:44 AM
Kirk - MSG 150,

I`ve seen that J Turn manoeuvre on youtube and it looks interesting although I don't think there is anywhere in my village that I`d need to do one, oh and I`m not a fan of sandwiches but love tuna..

Roxy - It was a very educational 12 months with the police - I was shown allsorts of different driving techniques and was also trained in defensive driving and V.I.P and T.P.A.C driving.
 rekirked
Msg: 149
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/12/2018 1:47:16 AM
I remember doing figure of eights, j turns and handbrake turns in the snow in a big car park then the police turned up.....and joined in! It was a surreal moment. Apparently they wanted the practice because we don’t get much snow, I was just mucking around on my way to work.
 billybonds
Msg: 150
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/12/2018 2:34:26 AM
I done an L turn at McDonald's Drive thru ?? in Cheam last night. More an italic u turn in the end. Didn't get too flustered at any of the three windows either. All without a Tupac.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > The feel good thread