Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > The feel good thread      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 201
view profile
History
The feel good threadPage 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Have been suffering first with gout which kicked off the arthritis in my knee for the last 4-6 weeks. I've been doing the exercise and taking the drugs. Yesterday my Doc upped the painkillers to cocodamol and I am walking again with just a little pain. Feeling a lot happier.

Oh and a goal - could life be any better?
 Squareslice
Msg: 202
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 4:23:44 AM
Feeling a lot happier or just spaced out, Chap?

Lovely sunny day spurred me on to do my winter service on my bike. Gonna be cycling early this year.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 203
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 4:53:53 AM
Yes, got to be careful with that. I spent most of yesterday afternoon asleep. Don't know if that was catchimg up on sleep or the drugs, not used these before.

Enjoy your bike ride. I must get mine out too. Bought it 5 years ago with good intentions but.............................
 vlad dracul
Msg: 204
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 5:10:34 AM
Chapster
"Have been suffering first with gout which kicked off the arthritis in my knee for the last 4-6 weeks. I've been doing the exercise and taking the drugs. Yesterday my Doc upped the painkillers to cocodamol and I am walking again with just a little pain. Feeling a lot happier.

Oh and a goal - could life be any better?"

See the next time you see your quack mate ask about getting a cortisone injection into your knee. I'm getting one into my right knee the morn. My left knee is fine after getting a titanium/polythene replacement.

Has he gave you anti inflammation tablets as well? I get naproxen, co-codomol, dihydrocodeine, tramadol and amytriptimine (spl for them all?).

Tis nippy having your bones grinding away eh?

And mind riding your bike might make your knee get a bit worse.

As for a natural cure or aid for arthritis look up cabbage as a help for arthritis. Ive no tried it yet as the cortisone and painkillers and anti inflammation tablets usually help.

Cabbage Leaf Poultice

Cabbage leaf has been used for centuries for swelling, ulcers, sprains, and strains. In one Swiss hospital, patients with rheumatoid arthritis have their swollen joints wrapped at night in cabbage leaves to help reduce joint swelling and pain.

https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/2-natural-remedies-for-arthritis-relief/
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 205
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 8:42:12 AM
Co-Codamol is interesting stuff - don't take too much.
If you have stomach problems & have been taking Ranitidene (Zantac)
or any other 'pump suppressant' for a while, these can
produce gout-like symptoms (been there)- the answer is to
use Peptac liquid or similar until it settles............

rekirked
Msg: 206
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 9:31:24 AM
Fcuk me I thought this was the feel good thread? Now I feel depressed coz I’m going to be 50 in a couple of weeks and it appears I have gout, knackered knees and a Superdrug outlet in my bathroom to look forward too

The sun is shining, the birds are coming back and singing, it’s wonderful. Even being asked for over 500 quid to tax my car hasn’t dented my happiness today.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 207
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 11:15:47 AM
Kirk
"Fcuk me I thought this was the feel good thread? Now I feel depressed coz I’m going to be 50 in a couple of weeks and it appears I have gout, knackered knees and a Superdrug outlet in my bathroom to look forward too"

Tsk. Your just a young pup mate. No even 50 yet. Tsk.

The birds still sing, the sun still shines (no very often though to be fair) and taxing your car will always be there.

But up here in my homeland when you turn 60 you get a free bus pass that you can use anywhere in Scotland. So from the borders to the highlands i can nip away any day i have free and go for a pint all over Scotland.

So happy days there then.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 208
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 1:11:59 PM
In the states, we have age-related discounts, some starting at 55. It's about 10% off on things, from once a month money off on groceries, restaurants on certain days including fast food, movies, etc. I see this link says some prescriptions are free for you! https://www.zeek.me/gift-vouchers-blog/discounts-uk-senior-citizens/

Chap, if your condition warrants a knee replacement, I'd consider it to stay off of anti-inflammatories like NSAIDS or steroids. They're not good for the kidneys long term. I flew with my dog to another state several years ago to get her a preventative laser surgery for her back discs to lessen the use of those drugs. People seem to do really well with knee replacements. In the end, you do what you need to do to keep moving forward☺

Kirk, 50 is the new 40, you're still gonna be a youngster☺

My feel good for the day, I'm being sent a part replacement without a huge hassle for my furnace (house heater) after the part previously sent is not working right. Got to love good customer service!
 Hostess68
Msg: 209
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 2:33:43 PM
After a couple of days of anxiety disorder, I getting me grove on and feeling good to this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKlwD7FOZDY
 Squareslice
Msg: 210
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 4:04:15 PM
New Yorker, everyone in Scotland gets free prescriptions, regardless of age... but maybe that would go down better in a feel bad thread.

Shouldn't have mentioned that until the Roman folly of Hadrian's wall is rebuilt. Calling it a folly as us Scots felt good about just sailing down the coast to gie the twunts a gubbin!
 NewYorker58
Msg: 211
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 4:29:13 PM
Free prescriptions, that's a good thing☺

Do people from Scotland and the UK use the same terminology or at least understand each other? For instance, I don't know what "gie the twunts a gubbin" means. I couldn't look it up either, but did look up Hadrian's wall.
 Squareslice
Msg: 212
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 4:49:21 PM
The terminology goes further than that, For instance, Vlad n me are less than 50 miles apart, yet use different dialects and terminology.
And he takes salt n sauce on his chips (fries) whereas west side is salt n vinegar.... east coasters are heathens!

A way round language filter is to make up words.... a twunt is a hybrid of a twat and a C U Next Tuesday.
As for gubbin, that means to inflict damage upon
 NewYorker58
Msg: 213
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 5:34:30 PM
Thanks for the explanation! I was going to say it looked like a curse word, but didn't want to possibly be offensive☺

In the states, east coast southern accent is so different, we can't always understand each other, and people have totally different things they eat. Then with all the different nationalities, and ingredients found regionally, it is like eating in another country. People still tend to naturally eat more of what's grown or found in their state.
 Cynderella
Msg: 214
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/20/2018 9:11:19 PM
This week I got to hold my granddaughter.
I haven't seen her since Summer.
Warmed Nana's heart.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 215
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/21/2018 2:27:21 AM
Kirk, it is still a feel good thread, just look at all the people offering caring advice. Part of the problem is me, I need to lose weight as well as the drugs and excercise. I haven't had a flare up for 3 years so got a bit complacent, this latest one is a wake up call. I can't afford 6 weeks off for a knee replacement, I'll explore all the other options first. (Vlad - Omeprazole, Cocodamol and Naproxen). Bunny - Coco - two x four times a day.

Hostess, hope your getting help from a counsellor, or maybe not :-) It's your choice but my local NHS helped me through bad depression, not sure I'd still be here without them.

For our American friends here, the NHS (National Health Service) is our free healthcare paid from our taxes. There are variations as Kirk pointed out above. In England; All medical treatment, except dentistry, is paid for from taxes. Over 60's, unwaged and other groups get free prescriptions (pregnant women, chldren etc) otherwise it's around £10 per item ($15?). Dentistry is also sometimes free on the NHS, depends where you live. In my area, there are loads of NHS dentists.

Ambulances are also covered under this scheme. In theory tourists and non residents do get charged but it is difficult to collect. so, if as happened to an American friend you come over here, get knocked down, spend a year in hospital, you will get treated even if you can't pay.

Cynders - good news from you too!

NewYorker - strong Scottish accents can be difficult for we English to understand, the Glasgow one is the worst for me. But then there are a few in England and Wales which are tricky too. I went up to Newcastle to get my car shipped to Norway. I talked it through with the handlers up there with my partner in tow. Afterwards she said "I didn't know you spoke Pakistani". I guess I'd spent a lot of time with Geordies?
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 216
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/21/2018 3:55:56 AM
It’s the same in Spain. Different dialects/accents/words.
I love a Scottish accent, even though I struggle to understand. I can’t mimic it either. Or Irish. I’m usually pretty good with accents but not those two.
I love a Manc accent too.

‘everybody’s free to feel good’
 vlad dracul
Msg: 217
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/21/2018 4:16:51 AM
Roxy
"I love a Scottish accent, even though I struggle to understand. I can’t mimic it either. Or Irish. I’m usually pretty good with accents but not those two. I love a Manc accent too."

Awwwrite our kid?(to be said in a manc accent). I love accents. Everyone of them are great. And local words. When i lived in hackney years ago i got called a jockney because of my hybrid Edinburgh/london way of speaking. When i visit my pal in Salford i end up using my morrissey learnt manc accent

A mate of mines works in the national library of Scotland. He sent me photo copies of a book from the 1800's that showed gypsy words and their equivalent in hindu. Many of the words we use in Edinburgh schemie talk.

I use many myself. Gadgie, barry, chore, choree, chourie, stardie, mort, shan etc.

I believe it's called manging the cant. Speaking the language. Every area has backslang words.

The words i put above in english mean male, good, thief, to thieve, knife, jail, woman and bad.

So in a sentence we would say see the mort chouried the gadgie? That's shan she's in the stardie.

Simples.

Slice
Do yous through the west use any of those words?

Chapster
If you don't want the replacement knee try the cortisone. I just went and had my knee done this morning.

New Yorker
Dinnae listen tae slice. You get a fish supper over here in Edinburgh it's GOT TO BE salt n sauce.
 Squareslice
Msg: 218
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/21/2018 8:32:00 AM
Vlad, we dinna use them... oors is like chib for knife n snibber for jail (but Barlinnie is the "Big Hoose"),,, no that Ah've been in jail, mind!
Heard radge a few times though, but Ah think that was immigrants fae the far east.

Back tae feelin good... wee run on ma bike today... n lookin forward to Sat... workin at Murrayfield for the match wi them fae doon south
 vlad dracul
Msg: 219
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/21/2018 9:11:35 AM
Slice
"Heard radge a few times though, but Ah think that was immigrants fae the far east.

Back tae feelin good... wee run on ma bike today... n lookin forward to Sat... workin at Murrayfield for the match wi them fae doon south"

We use radge aw the time. We call saughton the big hoose and barlinnie is the bar l.

Looking forward to the game against the 'auld enemy' at least east and west can agree on that.

I used to have a vinyl album of an Edinburgh comedian (wisna happy howden*) who done a sketch about how america was a bit like Scotland. We have the sophisticated east. The wild west. And bandit country south of the rio tweed.

Ive had a crackin day. Got the injection. Another script for sleepers. Got money fae a job put in the bank which will tide me over for a couple of weeks. Done a shopping at aldi. Spent £6 on a nice bit steak for my tea.

Happy days.

*yous ever watched the film the acid house? Based on three short stories by irvine welsh? Happy howden got a ahem 'strange' part in it as boab coyles dad in the first part of the trilogy. The granton star cause.

Howden also dine a show years ago in a catholic club where there had been a break in previously. He pointed to the crucifix on the wall and said 'see you got the cvnt that stole the telly then?'

They threw him out.
 Hostess68
Msg: 220
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/21/2018 4:27:43 PM
Ok... Little reminder of how this thread is supposed to work then you can poo all over it again!
If something good happened to you today then share please.
Not chat about something else - you can start your own thread ya know!
Not go off topic.
I got no chance here have I? Lol
And NEVER EVER mention counselling ha ha

So here is today's nice thing... Boss calls me in the office just to let me know she knows what March is to me and how much a struggle it is. She called me in just to let me know I can chat if I want - door is always open. Nice management skills! Rare today!
 NewYorker58
Msg: 221
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/21/2018 6:43:07 PM
Vlad, Slice, with the way you spell certain words, I can hear the accent. Some of the words sound like you're talking in code☺ "Mort chouried the gadgie", that's funny!

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread. Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread, unless you can figure out how to post anyway
 heavenlivesnear
Msg: 222
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/22/2018 12:21:44 AM
ive also got a nice manager at the moment hostess... also female... she's the fifth in 18 months and we are really hoping she stays. two months ago she was full of enthusiasm and readily available... less so now so i suspect shes feeling the pressure... she sends me emails telling me off for being online so late and i send them back reminding her thats she's also working late.. she cares and it's great to have a manager that acknowledges the effort of us on the ground.

marvellous thing that happened today... my puppy, ben, had a poo on his training pad . obviously the cleverest puppy in the world...and deffo the cutest.

and ive been asked out by a real life human male... he's lovely but alas, he is 34!!! i could have given birth to him...
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 223
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/22/2018 12:32:16 AM
Ben is undoubtedly the cutest thing ever, clever little pup! But could we get a full face pic, I wanna see more :)
I also have a nice manager at the moment, must be a female thing (jokes)
Heaven.....you know if you just wanted to get out for a while, change of scenery kinda thing, I say do it. Could be very enjoyable.

Vlad....after moving to London from Spain as a kid, I eventually spoke with what I thought was good English. When I moved to Birmingham people would often ask where I was from. I must have sounded bizarre lol. I’ve been living in Brum for years now and have the accent down.

I’m off to a giant ball park type place today (Funatics) with a bunch of kids. Gotta find one pair of socks without holes in! C’mon!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 224
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/22/2018 2:40:24 AM
Hostess
"Ok... Little reminder of how this thread is supposed to work then you can poo all over it again!
If something good happened to you today then share please.
Not chat about something else - you can start your own thread ya know!
Not go off topic.
I got no chance here have I? Lol
And NEVER EVER mention counselling ha ha"

Kick in the gonads accepted missus. I DO find it a struggle to no go away on tangents sometimes. But............

Due to being a naughty vladdie when the mods were here i cannot start threads. I'm only allowed so many posts per day. And i have to write i think 800 words or something like that or i get the messages to short thingy.

So maybe someone could start up a randon thread where we can talk away about anything. Write any auld barry white. Could be a winner.

ON TOPIC i bought a jar of aldis nutella type thing yesterday. Made a cup of tea. Made a nice bit toast on plain bread. Some low in poly unsaturates and hey, disaster. Kept the nutella thing in the fridge and it was rock solid. Easts toast and takes todays first lot of tablets.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 225
view profile
History
The feel good thread
Posted: 2/22/2018 3:50:37 AM
My knee continues to improve. Have been avoiding walking up and down the stairs, If I've forgotten something up there it can stay there until next time. But today I left something upstairs which I can manage without but went anyway. That's a first for maybe 6 weeks or so.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > The feel good thread