Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Medical Alerts for Aging Parents; Are they worth it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LGL1975
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Medical Alerts for Aging Parents; Are they worth it?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

The father passed away from sudden cardiac arrest this week. Had he had a medical alert I'm not sure if it would have made a difference since it would have taken more than ten minutes for the paramedics to get to his home. Each minute a person looses 10% chance of survival. However, it would have made a difference if he had just fallen and got injured or had a heart attack which are survivable even if a person doesn't get help immediately.

His son and I watched the paramedics work on him. I knew it was too late. They tried for quite some time with the status of his heart still being the same.

So you were home when it happened. If you'd gotten your neighbour the panic alarm I suggested you could have helped him.
Medical Alerts for Aging Parents; Are they worth it?
Posted: 5/14/2018 1:55:47 PM
Yes, they are worth it. I worked in long term care at one time and can tell you a million times when one of these would have come in handy. One that sticks in my mind is a poor old soul who spent three days in a bathtub after she slipped and fell getting in. No one bothered to check on her until the mailman told the super her mail hadn't been picked up, which wasn't like her. If she had that gadget she could have contacted someone right away.
 from site to sight
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/14/2018 2:45:05 PM
We got one for my mother when she started having falls, while living on her own. It had a speaker on the phone, and when the alert button was triggered by a sudden jolt like in a fall, an operator would call and ask if everything is alright. If there's no response, an ambulance was immediately sent to the home. She had a lot of falls where she wasn't able to get up on her own, and who knows how long it would take for somebody to notice if it wasn't for the medic alert.

The first medic alert we got her had a button on it, where you push the button after falling. But we soon realized that someone might not be in a position to be able to push the button after falling-they might have passed out or get knocked out in the fall, or be in a position where they can't reach the button. So getting the alert button with the motion sensor is a better option.
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/14/2018 2:46:23 PM
A few months ago my 62 year old sister sold her big house in CT & moved to a beautiful big house in a lovely area of SC.

Since my Mom lived 1 block away in a condo, & was 84 years old, she relocated into a really nice assisted living place. Mom had a studio & a private bath.

Yesterday, for Mother's Day, Sis goes to get Mom to bring her over to the new house for her 2nd visit & a Mother's Day Lunch.

Mom refused her very much needed cane, & my sister tried to appease her, so they went, very carefully.

As soon as Mom got in the house, she fell & broke her hip- surgery today!

Now, had my Mom still been living alone in her condo in CT, who knows what would happen.

MIL fell down about a month ago, didn't break anything but swollen hand & huge cut.

These 2 are constantly falling down, every old person we know is constantly falling.

THEY SHOULD ALL BE FORCED TO HAVE A MEDICAL ALERT IMPLANTED INSIDE OF THEM!
 ghostata
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/14/2018 8:35:34 PM
""""THEY SHOULD ALL BE FORCED TO HAVE A MEDICAL ALERT IMPLANTED INSIDE OF THEM!""

Why do I get the feeling you are not joking?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Medical Alerts for Aging Parents; Are they worth it?