Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Older men's expectations      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ohenryx
Msg: 276
view profile
History
driving ambitionPage 12 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

[MachIMustangII
it bums me, a longtime stick shift afficiado, to admit what they do now with automatic transmissions makes them worth a look.

I like a stick shift, I enjoy playing with it. That is, when I’m not stuck in traffic. Which, unfortunately, is most of the time these days. It’s kind of sad that automatics are now faster than manuals, but it is what it is.

I went down today on my lunch hour and drive a base Ecoboost Mustang, with the automatic. $22.7k versus $34k for the Mustang GT Premium, or $36k for the Mustang GT Premium with the automatic. A really really big difference for what is essentially the same car.

That base Ecoboost is a hell of a lot of car for $22.7k. And you could get one with the 6 speed manual for around $21.5 or a little less. You really ought to think about it.

And he did go somewhere, and amount to something. I often wonder if it made her happy?

Chances are, somewhere, somehow...there was grass greener on the other side of something for her :) we're all just crazy that way. But it was amusing to think a programmer wasn't going someplace, my father was one back in the day and he had a helluva resume at the end of it.

Well, no, I have always been just a “working man”. (Makes me think of the Rush song, really great Rock-n-Roll, I have to go find that and turn it up!) Where was I? Oh, yeah, I have spent my life working for big corporations. Making a decent living, but never really “going anywhere”. The guy she married, he went somewhere, he was rich to start with, went into politics, … I can’t say more.

The best shot I ever had for “going somewhere” was an interview with a government agency, back in 1992. And I failed the background check, don’t ask.

But back to my “lost love” – I really do hope he made her happy. I hope that getting what she wanted, what she dreamed of, really did make her happy.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 277
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 6:56:01 AM
I believe you mean the 4 cylinder Mustang with the turbo? I see good reviews on it, it surprises people with its power...and when gas inevitably goes up in price again, it might get even more attention. I did drive its grandfather, my loaded 1986 Turbo Thunderbird 5 speed. But that was old turbo tech, not hitting boost until 3,000 RPM, as we've discussed before--wonderful on the highway, not so much on curvy, hilly backroads unless I was in 3rd gear all the time. meanwhile, I thought about ya yesterday, I blew a tire on my little chitbox so I had all four replaced--$378 out the door. The friend I was supposed to have lunch with, pays that for one tire on her convertible :) That's when a stripper car is fun, but we're finally going to get 90+ weather the next few days, and a lack of air conditioning won't be so fun if I get stuck in traffic. the Lord givith, the Lord screwith :)

I can remember when computer nerds were just...nerds. No one saw them as we view Bill Gates and the Big Bang Theory now. My former boss somehow married a woman who wanted him to rise up so she could keep up with her friends. Ironically she's an accountant, so of course, what firm did she finally get in with during her rise to the top? Arthur Anderson, a few years before the Enron scandal. some times, we get what we ask for, and sometimes we get what we deserve, and the rest of the time...we might get what we can work with.

at least you have the right attitude. I have a few exs who I hope are overall happy with their choices in partners. I know one isn't, she calls long distance to tell me about the plans for divorce--funny I know more than the schmuck does :)
 sun___flower
Msg: 278
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 8:54:16 AM
GTO
I thought about [Henry] yesterday, I blew a tire on my little chitbox so I had all four replaced

GTO and Henry, I want your opinions on something, if you are willing to give them. If one has a bad tire, should one replace only that tire, or at least two tires? I am trying to decide how many tires to replace on my car. Thank you.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 279
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 11:18:59 AM
If you aren't sure why the tire blew, there's a chance that it blew b/c it was old. And that means you have three more opportunities, so I replace 'em all (I just bought my car, so I don't know the history of the tires--but for what I paid, I bought peace of mind. not everyone can afford that). But if you know it was broken glass or some other thing, then replace that one with exactly what the other 3 tires have for a size and brand and tread. It will have a deeper tread design since its new, and that will only have an effect in heavy rain or snow. If you find that's an issue as well, then get another new tire for that end of the car, ie, two good tires for steering or for driving. assuming, of course, the other tires have a decent tread. Otherwise you may find handling is a little off. of course, if strapped for cash, replace the one tire, then take it out for a long drive and see how you feel about it--you can always go back in a few days and get 3 new ones.

oh, and give the spare a good look while you're there. I thought all those small donut space saver spares were solid rubber, and this darn thing took air...and had lost a bit of it when I put it on. Now, if you really want to save a buck, go to your local junkyard/auto recycler, you may find a car that got in there after getting four decent tires, and you may be able to buy tire and rim for $20 a piece.

that's my opinion on it.

(thank you for the kind words)
 sun___flower
Msg: 280
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 11:32:01 AM
Thank you, GTO! I very much appreciate your time and knowledge.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 281
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 1:02:30 PM
It depends on the tread on the other ones. You would need to have the tread measured.
 2ufo
Msg: 282
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 2:12:27 PM
And rotated regularly.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 283
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 2:16:05 PM
Shoots hand in the air, "I'll be your tire kicker! (For a cup of coffee!)
 sun___flower
Msg: 284
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 2:18:20 PM
Thank you, NewYorker and 2ufo!

The tread on my tires is fairly low, which is why I'm wondering what to do since I need to replace one tire due to a puncture.

LIR, how about something from my liquor cart?

A generous pour of Frangelico coming right up.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 285
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 2:20:31 PM
OOOOOO, a lil' Frangelico in my coffee?
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 286
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 5:50:09 PM
if the tread on all your tires is low, that's due to much use...so its time to replace. You may want to look at how the tread has worn--if its even from side to side, then your alignment is good, and don't let the garage sell you a new alignment (the first pothole you run thru on the way home knocks it a little out of alignment, so no reason to get it perfect if the tires are wearing uniformly anyway).
 NewYorker58
Msg: 287
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 6:18:44 PM
You may as well take this opportunity to replace all of them. I had a good experience at Les Schwab, but price it at a few places.

My Ford dealership told me my tire was punctured in the sidewall, so not repairable. Les looked at it and saw I had picked up a nail in the bottom and repaired it for free. You can get them to repair the tire for free, and give you time to check out prices, if it's repairable. Get your tire size and call around.

I take it you don't have awd, which would require all tires to be replaced if they were worn enough. All new tires respond to the road better, but can affect the awd if not all replaced.
 sun___flower
Msg: 288
view profile
History
driving ambition
Posted: 6/28/2018 8:15:45 PM
Thank you so much, GTO and NewYorker. NY, I am thinking I'll go to LS.
 dark_n_juju
Msg: 289
Older men's expectations
Posted: 8/5/2018 3:45:45 PM
I recently had a gentleman email. He lived about an hour away which I told him was too far for me. (Yes it was an excuse but I think it is a very nice one). He came back with that wasn't that far. I explained I was not willing to drive out that far to meet anyone. He stated he would willingly come to my area. Then he stated it was going to rain that day so why don't he come in and give me a body rub..... REALLY? So I joined a dating site to sleep with random senior citizens? I don't think so. And I told him so much. I explained that if sleeping with RANDOM men was my goal I would do the youngesters that follow me in the store or come sit by me at the bar (the few times I have ventured out alone). That is not what I am here for.
I think a lot of older guys are still stuck in the 70's and 80's where women were playthings. I think this age group still expects women to be their playthings.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 290
view profile
History
Older men's expectations
Posted: 8/6/2018 7:27:45 PM
Juju wrote:
I recently had a gentleman email. He lived about an hour away which I told him was too far for me. (Yes it was an excuse but I think it is a very nice one). He came back with that wasn't that far. I explained I was not willing to drive out that far to meet anyone. He stated he would willingly come to my area. Then he stated it was going to rain that day so why don't he come in and give me a body rub..... REALLY? So I joined a dating site to sleep with random senior citizens? I don't think so. And I told him so much. I explained that if sleeping with RANDOM men was my goal I would do the youngesters that follow me in the store or come sit by me at the bar (the few times I have ventured out alone). That is not what I am here for.
OK, there's your compliment on your make up skillz from straight men, and I'd say it's a pretty wide cross section of straight maledom that are complimenting......senior citizens that wanna give you body rubs and youngsters that follow you around the stores and bars.
 dark_n_juju
Msg: 291
Older men's expectations
Posted: 8/6/2018 7:56:59 PM
He didn't offer to give me a facial massage. IT was an offer to rub my body. That is complimenting me on my efforts as far as dieting and working out. Which men can do also. IF I was looking for just sex then YES the younger men are the winners every time but I am celibate and have been for a while. Plan to stay that way until I fall in love and BODY rubs aren't going to make me hot let alone fall in love. I am sure there are some women who are just dying to have some random GUY rub their bodies. I am just not one of them.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Older men's expectations
Posted: 8/9/2018 9:02:25 AM
Juju wrote:
He didn't offer to give me a facial massage. IT was an offer to rub my body. That is complimenting me on my efforts as far as dieting and working out.
The fact that a man wanted to give you a body rub doesn't mean he wasn't initially attracted to your makeup artistry, i.e. face. And yes, after looking at your pictures, uh, "juju" doesn't do you justice, so if we're tossing around candy metaphors, maybe "good and plenty" would be more appropriate....so um... roger that, on the diet and exercise....and a maybe a lil artistry from the great candy confectioner up above.

But as far as mens' visuals.....most look at and assess the *whole* package. Body AND face. And online especially, face is key. He probably saw your face first. If your face looked like the oldest 52 year old in the room, using your (and NG's) terminology, I doubt you'd get the same amount of attention by the men you come in contact with. Yes, some men would still go for the "Who cares 'bout the face, I'll put a bag over her head!" action, but having a less-than-desirable face still would weed out some men. (In general, not specifically with you though)

So I will continue to maintain that the male attention you get - although it seems to be mostly unwanted by you lol - is still at least partially the implicit "compliments" on your makeup knowledge and skillz...from straight men, that you claim not to receive.

But having said all this, I did notice your makeup-free face still is likely never gonna be remotely the "oldest 52 year old face" in the room. But it's all about "being the best you can be," right?
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 293
view profile
History
Older men's expectations
Posted: 8/11/2018 8:47:00 AM
msg#292:
, "juju" doesn't do you justice, so if we're tossing around candy metaphors,

I always thought 'juju' referred to a type of magical power or luck---good juju, bad juju~

The gummy type of candy frequently offered at movie concession counters is 'jujube'~

Just sayin<
 Inicia
Msg: 294
Older men's expectations
Posted: 8/11/2018 11:36:54 AM
^^Funny how perceptions can be so revealed with our assumptions- lol- one thinks magical mystical Ju-Ju and another thinks jujube candy-- who in these two see a powerful equivalent/or tasty treat to eat? lol oh just the simplest things are so revealing.
 dark_n_juju
Msg: 295
Older men's expectations
Posted: 8/12/2018 5:32:23 AM
Clytemnestry
YES, I use it in reference to magic. And Dark in reference to my skin. So I am dark and magically.
 2Maggie22
Msg: 296
Older men's expectations
Posted: 8/17/2018 9:45:00 PM
He was probably joking but you should have told him "sure I'll be right over" Or better yet have him meet you some place and be a no show 😆
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Older men's expectations; they're fappin' for trollz
Posted: 12/16/2018 3:25:33 AM
They're trollin' for faps. Don't even bother to engage them.

If a man is interested in you, he'll travel to you with a plan to treat you to lunch or dinner, without expecting a tour of the city and a couch-surf bed.
 ohenryx
Msg: 298
view profile
History
Merry Christmas -- now get out there and date!
Posted: 12/16/2018 9:18:19 AM
I know I’ve talked about this before, but when you get to a certain age, you find there are very few things that you haven’t talked about before, so…

To all of the men out there who complain they can’t get an answer to their messages, NOW is the time. Based on my experiences, you are about 4 times more likely to get an answer to an initial message in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Don’t ask me why, I’ve heard various explanations, reasons, thoughts, logical arguments, what have you. All I know is :: in these few weeks leading up to Christmas, women are much more likely to respond to an initial message.

I’m living that right now. I don’t really work this site anymore, but between OK*Cupid, T*inder, and B*umble, I’m suddenly faced with more replies than I can realistically deal with. This is from swipe rights and initial messages that I did from a few days ago to several weeks ago. It’s like every one just woke from hibernation.

Remember the usual rules: Decent pictures, be polite, mention something from their profile.

Now get out there and play ball!
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 299
view profile
History
A REAL RELATIONSHIP IS 365 DAYS A YEAR
Posted: 12/16/2018 9:55:27 AM

To all of the men out there who complain they can’t get an answer to their messages, NOW is the time. Based on my experiences, you are about 4 times more likely to get an answer to an initial message in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Don’t ask me why, I’ve heard various explanations, reasons, thoughts, logical arguments, what have you. All I know is :: in these few weeks leading up to Christmas, women are much more likely to respond to an initial message.

I’m living that right now. I don’t really work this site anymore, but between OK*Cupid, T*inder, and B*umble, I’m suddenly faced with more replies than I can realistically deal with. This is from swipe rights and initial messages that I did from a few days ago to several weeks ago. It’s like every one just woke from hibernation.

Remember the usual rules: Decent pictures, be polite, mention something from their profile.

Now get out there and play ball!

If a person is sincere & wants a REAL RELATIONSHIP, based on mutual respect & care, etc. they would NOT be attempting an emotional manipulation (some people get emotionally vulnerable during the Holidays & therefore easy to MANIPULATE)

Rather, they would be open to an authentic relationship 365 days a year....many years ago I posted about men wanting a date for New Years Eve...I said something like so they want a date for that one night, where were they the other 364 nights?

Of course, once a person reaches a certain age, they should know well enough than to allow themselves to be manipulated...

Understanding a person's underlying "agenda" makes you wiser to their manipulations.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 300
view profile
History
A REAL RELATIONSHIP IS 365 DAYS A YEAR
Posted: 12/16/2018 10:14:44 AM
it could be that the holidays are a time where most don't want to be alone, a yearly reminder that your still single. while they may want someone year round, it becomes more important with visiting family, new years eve and the cold monthes that follow. for me, o have a light schedule in the winter so more time to date whereas in the summer, my time is precious. as much as I want a partner for outdoor activities, I wont pass on a camping trip alone in exchange for yet another bad date.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Older men's expectations