Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > old pictures!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 51
view profile
History
old pictures!Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

it’s hard to believe how many of the same faces are still looking for mr right, and trying to market themselves with the same pictures, so they will probably be on here next year at this time too, I think most just use OLD for the daily attention and email alerts.

I don't think it's so hard to believe. First, if one's on here, it doesn't mean they're looking for Mr/Mrs Right (LTR). It's much the same as one going to a singles bar a lot -- and someone being confused as to why they're always there and they must have some problem finding "Mr Right". News flash: Some people Like being single. A singles bar & POF isn't LTR-or-bust. That's just a potential option for many, that they're not "hunting" at all.

Second, I think using the "same pictures" -- hey, if it still looks like them (doesn't have to be perfecto)... so? It's not a facebook page. But yeah, some will be outdated enough where it doesn't give the accurate look of them. Much like a non-older one, but with the right lighting & angle, makes them look too good. But they don't realize it because they're not really thinking about it + are the opposite of that person who loves taking new pictures of themselves every other day and posting it on Instagram or FB. :)
 HanoverFella
Msg: 52
old pictures!
Posted: 1/20/2018 1:33:38 PM

I don't think it's so hard to believe. First, if one's on here, it doesn't mean they're looking for Mr/Mrs Right (LTR). It's much the same as one going to a singles bar a lot -- and someone being confused as to why they're always there and they must have some problem finding "Mr Right". News flash: Some people Like being single. A singles bar & POF isn't LTR-or-bust. That's just a potential option for many, that they're not "hunting" at all.

Oh so when they select Looking for a long term relationship, that’s not what they really want?? LoL, What a stupid post you just made me read!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 53
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/20/2018 1:44:47 PM

Oh so when they select Looking for a long term relationship, that’s not what they really want?? LoL, What a stupid post you just made me read!

First -- not everyone puts that there. Second -- when people do it does Not mean it's the only thing they're looking for. At all. Third -- when people do, it doesn't necessarily mean in reality that's what they're wanting most at all, but see it as the more proper selection, too.

Pretty much Everyone would want an LTR with the dream person in the dream scenario. Doesn't mean they're hunting for one at all, even though on a personals website, many folks are going to exaggerate that as much as narrowness of their waistline.

By default, no, people on personals or singles bar, aren't on some hubby-hunting marathon (even though, of course, those definitely exist all around too).
 gtomustang
Msg: 54
old pictures!
Posted: 1/20/2018 2:31:13 PM
thanks for that link, NY58! I followed the link on that page, never imagined that many jiggling jugs on one page. I feel like a cat chasing a laser point.

"oh, so when they select "Looking for long term", that's not what they really want?"

>>>or its not what the guy they were dating wanted :)
 Seki1949
Msg: 55
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/20/2018 10:51:54 PM

Breast density is very common, and is not abnormal.

What are these "breasts' you speak of?
 sundress1
Msg: 56
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 7:46:13 AM
I suppose some profiles with old pictures are inactive users. Besides that, there is no valid reason to have old pictures. If I was seriously looking for dates here, I would have pictures that were taken within the past year or maybe 2 years at the most. It's not that hard to take some selfies or have a friend or relative take some pictures of you.
 south_city
Msg: 57
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 8:55:48 AM

I suppose some profiles with old pictures are inactive users. Besides that, there is no valid reason to have old pictures. If I was seriously looking for dates here, I would have pictures that were taken within the past year or maybe 2 years at the most. It's not that hard to take some selfies or have a friend or relative take some pictures of you.

When I was actively using OLD, I would often have a combination of recent pictures ( less than a year old ) and somewhat relatively older pictures ( 2-3 years old ). Unless a person had major physical changes ( such as weight gain/loss or hairstyle ), a person probably isn't going to look that much different now compared to 2-3 years ago. That being said, I would not use any pictures that were more than 5 years old.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 58
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 12:54:47 PM

I suppose some profiles with old pictures are inactive users. Besides that, there is no valid reason to have old pictures.

There's two angles when it comes to pictures that are "older":

1) Which everyone agrees on: It doesn't look like you. Photo being old not required.

2) Which Uptight people bark at: It does look like you, but the picture's "old" as in "sitting there" forever when you browse the profiles.

There's nothing wrong with #2. The complainer doesn't realize a profile isn't a Facebook page. Pictures are Only there to say "This is what I look like." It's not a FB page to say "This is what I made for breakfast this morning." Huge difference.

We all know that from a stack of just-taken photos, several of the ones of us can make us look worse or better. Some to an extent just riding off that 1 pic can give a false impression one way or another. Photo being old not required.

I'd have no problem with, and would much rather have, a gal's profile with her 3 photos look like her, but the same for the past 5 years -- than a gal who has new ones up that give a false impression of her looking better than she does, thanks to lighting, angles, etc.

The further away your face is to the camera, the more years you can have that photo accurately represent you. The closer in to your face, comparatively, the less amt of years.
 sundress1
Msg: 59
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 1:39:47 PM

2) Which Uptight people bark at: It does look like you, but the picture's "old" as in "sitting there" forever when you browse the profiles.

There's nothing wrong with #2. The complainer doesn't realize a profile isn't a Facebook page. Pictures are Only there to say "This is what I look like." It's not a FB page to say "This is what I made for breakfast this morning." Huge difference.

We all know that from a stack of just-taken photos, several of the ones of us can make us look worse or better. Some to an extent just riding off that 1 pic can give a false impression one way or another. Photo being old not required.

I'd have no problem with, and would much rather have, a gal's profile with her 3 photos look like her, but the same for the past 5 years -- than a gal who has new ones up that give a false impression of her looking better than she does, thanks to lighting, angles, etc.

I know there are other potential problems with pictures in addition to how old it is. Sometimes a picture that was taken today may not be an entirely accurate representation of a person. However I would still be leery of someone whose most recent pictures are from 5 years ago. It's very possible there has been a noticeable difference in his/her appearance since then.
 npw7557
Msg: 60
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 2:17:17 PM
We all looked good 10 years ago.
I get a bit sad at a list of pictures where the first one looks good but the latter ones show time hasn't been kind.

My picture is up to date so take me or leave me.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 61
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 3:01:43 PM

My picture is up to date so take me or leave me.

And that's confidence, that's hot.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 62
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 3:08:17 PM

However I would still be leery of someone whose most recent pictures are from 5 years ago. It's very possible there has been a noticeable difference in his/her appearance since then.

A) Most of the time, you're not going to know how old the picture is.
B) Depending on distance-to-the-face, it's very possible there isn't any difference.
C) Even if it was someone you knew, and you noticed the Same picture for the past 5 years -- AND it looked just like them -- you would still have an issue with it. :)
 sundress1
Msg: 63
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 5:19:57 PM

A) Most of the time, you're not going to know how old the picture is.
B) Depending on distance-to-the-face, it's very possible there isn't any difference.
C) Even if it was someone you knew, and you noticed the Same picture for the past 5 years -- AND it looked just like them -- you would still have an issue with it. :)

Some pictures I have seen on POF do have time stamps or the date of picture(s) is mentioned on the caption under the picture. Many people on internet dating sites do have at least 1 up close face picture so any difference in looks due to age would be more noticeable. C) is highly doubtful in my experience. I have rarely seen pictures of a person from 5+ years ago and that person still looks exactly the same now. Granted the amount of the difference in looks can vary from person to person. But there is usually some difference.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 64
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/21/2018 7:40:31 PM
Rarely do POF pics have time-stamps on them, and if they do, they can be way off. The caption can have a year sometimes or a reference to being somewhere that had to have occurred at a certain point (bowl game).

Many people on internet dating sites do have at least 1 up close face picture so any difference in looks due to age would be more noticeable

Yes, a face Close Up -- not just mostly the face but a FACE Real Close Up -- that's harder to pull off 5 years difference, sure. Not all their pictures were taken at the same time. Point is, you could have a face Close Up pic 3 years ago, and more distance/aback photos from 6 years ago and not know the difference. Not a rarity.

C) is highly doubtful in my experience.

Well, you indirectly admit you'd still have an issue with it, which was my point. :)

And most pics are not real close-up face shots. It's not a rarity for someone at 39 having a picture when they were 34, with them among friends look 100% like them now. Not everyone piles on the wrinkles and such where you'd notice it in a non-close up shot in a non high res picture.

Point is -- we want to over-emphasize/over-believe it IS going to have an effect... because too many photos out there are inaccurate (and most aren't due to aging; but letting themselves go in a short amt of time or too-good-looking photo, or some combination thereof).

I'm just saying I can go thru friends' facebook photos that aren't in high-res and it's quite common to have to look at the date to notice it was 5+ years ago.
 sundress1
Msg: 65
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 11:13:44 AM
My point remains that it's not hard to update pictures at least once a year. Although a 5 year old picture may not necessarily be a gross misrepresentation of a person, I think more often than not a picture was taken within the past year will be a better representation of a person. Very simple.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 66
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 11:44:34 AM
I guess people can use whatever pictures they want.
I usually have current pictures, mostly because I keep
looking better and better.

Can't speak for everyone else though.
 south_city
Msg: 67
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 12:27:23 PM
FWIW, I looked at a picture with some friends that was taken about 5 years ago. One person had changed a lot due to weight gain. The others had more minor changes such as a little bit more gray hair. Using 5 year old pictures is borderline in my viewpoint. Some people might be able to get away with it. But it wouldn't hurt to have some newer pictures along with the 5 year old pictures even if someone thinks he or she hasn't had any physical changes in 5 years.
 HanoverFella
Msg: 68
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 1:09:17 PM
So most likely the ones that have updated their photos probably have aged well and are proud, the ones that have been using the same pictures for a few years are probably looking pretty rough, these are usually the ones you don’t recognize at first meets, they have to walk up and introduce themselves as you’re panning the place for their face
 gtomustang
Msg: 69
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 3:21:33 PM
"They have to walk up and intro themselves as you pan the place"

>>>I figure that's the logical reason for photos, so you can ID someone in a crowd. Luckily no one chases me here, so I don't have to worry about it and leave my car photos up :)
 NewYorker58
Msg: 70
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 6:33:05 PM
Why doesn't everyone ask how old pics are? I should have asked a guy with a closeup pic of him with his motorcycle, since I knew he didn't ride for years, but I could see well enough how he looked. He looked pretty much the same in person.
 ohenryx
Msg: 71
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 8:35:01 PM

browneyesboo
I guess people can use whatever pictures they want.
I usually have current pictures, mostly because I keep
looking better and better.

+1 and a big thumbs up to that!

If you can figure out a way to bottle that, you can get rich. You wouldn’t happen to need a business manager, would you? (smile)

On the subject of putting dates on your pictures: I like that idea, I think all of my pictures have dates in the captions. And I have noticed quite a few women doing that as well, and I applaud them for it.

NY58, that new main picture you have up, just how old is that?

gtomustang
I figure that's the logical reason for photos, so you can ID someone in a crowd. Luckily no one chases me here, so I don't have to worry about it and leave my car photos up :)

Gto, I’m at home so I can get to profiles this evening, and I was just looking at your pictures. In picture number 2, is that the 4-4-2 you keep talking about? That really doesn’t look very good, no insult intended. Are you planning to restore that thing?

I have in the past considered buying a classic of some kind. Maybe a 67 Cuda Formula S (owned one), 69 Charger RT 440 (owned one), or a 70 Challenger 340 convertible (owned one), or a 76 Trans Am (owned one). Hell, when I was just a kid, I drove a bunch of old Chevy trucks, early 50’s models, that would be kinda fun to own.

Negatives are the cost to obtain, and the cost of upkeep, and the fact that they (none of the above) would be reliable, dependable daily drivers. But if I did own one, any one of the above, I would want it to be really pretty and shiny and something that other people would envy and admire.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 72
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 9:14:47 PM

I see no reason why anyone would have any strong objections to updating their pictures at least once or twice or year. If they do, they're hiding something. A LOT can change in a year. Taking a picture and posting it isn't exactly an arduous task, so they can't claim it's too much of a hassle.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 73
view profile
History
old pictures!
Posted: 1/22/2018 10:35:50 PM
Henry, it's an old pic. I'm not even sure how old it is. I'm not dating now, so these are not what I would otherwise keep up there.
 south_city
Msg: 74
old pictures!
Posted: 1/23/2018 6:49:01 AM

Rarely do POF pics have time-stamps on them, and if they do, they can be way off.

Depends. If it is a selfie taken from a cell phone, chances are the date and time on the picture are accurate. Since that info would be directly taken from the cell phone.
 gtomustang
Msg: 75
old pictures!
Posted: 1/23/2018 6:49:36 AM
"is that the 4-4-2 you keep talking about? That really doesn’t look very good, no insult intended. Are you planning to restore that thing?"

>>>yes it is, and don't worry, i'm not insulted :) Up here, for $4500 such a car would be rusted all the way thru, the only rust is what you see--amazing since I got studded snow tires with it, the seller drove it everyday. It definitely shows its 242,000 miles (the drivetrain has 15,000). I will rebuild it (I can't say restore, I like the speed parts on it), but I love that I can park it anywhere and not have it stolen or key-jobbed or some other issue. I can treat it like today is 1973...its just another used muscle car, not an investment or something I have to fear. I don't know if Houston is as salted air as parts of Florida, but otherwise i'm sure you could find a solid but sunbaked car. For sure, make it a secondary car. Mine runs on 93 octane, gets 15mpg, Hagardy insurance I think runs $600 and change a year, and my state charges property tax--it was $16 this year. So upkeep isn't that bad, and you don't have winters to worry about storage.

You will have to shop around to get a good initial cost. I'm not a shiny guy, so I don't worry about outward appearances--if we ever meet, that will become obvious :) You are right, people who want to be admired in their car, are going to have to pay for good paint and shiny chrome and the rest. I'm just a glass half-full guy, and it helps up here that a car this old in any shape, isn't seen often on the road--probably half the cars I pass, are checking me out. Down your way, i could just be another clunker on the road :) but, oh well, i'm happy behind the wheel, and as you may have noticed, I lost my ability to worry about impressing people back in junior high. I'm not saying that to be sour grapes, a lot of people concern themselves with appearance, and as long as they can carry it out, good for them. A good first impression counts when you need something from other people.

As for upkeep, youtube has a lot of videos but otherwise, yes, knowing how to repair problems helps--and its pretty simple, in that you aren't messing with computers and sensors. Not everyone can do what's needed to get an old car for relatively cheap. Just like some of us can't be Lance Armstrong or Tiger Woods. In other words...owning an old car just isn't for everyone, and that's fine. If more people did it, it would be far less impressive--it would just be normal. i'm impressed with your cars, Henry! I've only had a 56 ford four door (certainly nothing but a family car in its time, now it would be a classic around here), a 57 bird, a 67 mustang convert, a 69 GTO, an 86 factory turbo Tbird and a Mustang GT of the same year. The only trucks I had were newer ones, I would have loved those trucks you mentioned. absolutely nothing wrong with saying, "I used to have X" or "I used to do Y", and not having it now due to inconvenience. the fellow I bought my car from, is going electric, and after taking me for a ride in his new electric car and all its features...I don't blame him one bit for leaving carbs and gasoline behind.

"I see no reason why anyone would have any strong objections to updating their pictures at least once or twice or year. If they do, they're hiding something. A LOT can change in a year."

>>>I stopped looking around here, but I get the point--if I was, I shouldn't object to recent photos (Even tho I have to take them myself, so it looks like a selfie). I don't think, tho, that a lot changes every year we exist :) well, maybe those who go to a gym, yes, and in my neck of the woods, a few ladies have before and after photos.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > old pictures!