Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > OVER 60 SCAMMER?????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Seki1949
Msg: 26
view profile
History
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm an astronaut.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 27
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/18/2018 5:13:59 AM

(blacklady1953) I was emailing someone who contacted me from another site, who said he was 60 years old, and an airline pilot. Said he was of "Italian" descent, but gave me a German last name. The "kicker" was that after several days, he contacted me and said that he had to fly to "Sidney" Australia. Except, it's "Sydney", and one would think that if he had flown for 30 years, as he stated, he would have spelled the city's name correctly. His entire "story" sounds suspect to me. Any thoughts?

Yeah, a few:

1) The last name thing? In itself, totally irrelevant. People can and do emigrate.
2) Misspelling a word is also not, in itself, evidence of anything other than a typo.

You're good to be on your guard, but seriously? If this guy walked on water, you sound like you'd be wondering, "Is it because he can't swim?"

Look for more evidence, and don't ask for advice on a free dating site.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 28
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/18/2018 5:18:15 AM

(halcyon_skies) OP, it sounds suspicious to me, too. If I were in your shoes, I'd probe him with further questions about his profession, just to see if he slips up.

I used to work as a flight attendant years ago, so I'd ask him technical questions about the types of planes he flies. A true airline pilot would be able to answer the questions correctly, without hesitation.

Yes, because nothing spells "long-term, steady relationship" like a good old-fashioned grilling...

(halcyon_skies) ^^^^ I have some questions in mind that aren't found on Google. It would be very easy for me to trip up a man falsely posing as an airline pilot.

People who boast like this are usually the easiest to fool.

Maybe he actually is/was a pilot, and has turned his knowledge and experience to larcenous ends. So, he answers all your sleuthing to your satisfaction. What then, Nancy Drew?

Any person who brags about their inability to be fooled, is simply advertising to a decent scammer to use a different strategy. If you engage with a scammer, they'll almost always win. Which is why "string-em-along" is such terrible advice -- they've probably done it dozens, if not hundreds, of times before. Also, scammers almost always have the benefit of organization. You may not even be speaking with the same person from one email to the next.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 29
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/18/2018 2:15:58 PM

Any person who brags about their inability to be fooled, is simply advertising to a decent scammer to use a different strategy. If you engage with a scammer, they'll almost always win.

It's moot point anyway, since the "scammer" in question stopped engaging with the OP. But for whatever it's worth, I've never been victimized by any scammers. It could be they never engaged with me because they didn't view me as an easy target.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 30
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/18/2018 4:41:48 PM

(AT) Any person who brags about their inability to be fooled, is simply advertising to a decent scammer to use a different strategy. If you engage with a scammer, they'll almost always win.

(halcyon_skies) It's moot point anyway, since the "scammer" in question stopped engaging with the OP.

I get the distinct impression that some/most of these threads are started for the express purpose of generating traffic.

(halcyon_skies) But for whatever it's worth, I've never been victimized by any scammers. It could be they never engaged with me because they didn't view me as an easy target.

Sure, could be. Absent any further evidence, though, it would be just as valid to conclude that it's sheer dumb luck. There are other people online who have also not been the target of scammers, and I can confidently state that *NONE* of those other un-scammed people are you.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 31
view profile
History
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/18/2018 9:09:03 PM
Well, arrange to Skype and then arrange to meet. My feeling is he is lying and wont want to do any of that.
I am from Sydney Australia. He is having a flight of fantasy and a few hard questions from you will see him disappear over the horizon lol!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 32
view profile
History
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/20/2018 1:28:24 PM
I got a message from someone in Florida saying
he'll be flying up to Boston in a few weekends
because he's going to Dana Farber for treatment
for his stage 4 cancer.

He would really like to take me out to dinner and
maybe dancing, with or without romance.

Not something I'd be interested in doing, but thought
for a moment the motive. What happens if he messaged a
bunch of women and they all say yes?

Interesting also he was an upgraded member.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 33
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/21/2018 3:11:02 AM

(browneyesboo) I got a message from someone in Florida saying
he'll be flying up to Boston in a few weekends
because he's going to Dana Farber for treatment
for his stage 4 cancer.

He would really like to take me out to dinner and
maybe dancing, with or without romance.

Not something I'd be interested in doing, but thought
for a moment the motive. What happens if he messaged a
bunch of women and they all say yes?

Interesting also he was an upgraded member.

Y'know, sometimes when a fella asks a girl out, he's actually asking her out... smh

This is one of the main reasons I don't date from here... well, that, and women can't observe me reading...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 34
view profile
History
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/21/2018 6:53:50 AM
I was wondering what that rattling sound was.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 35
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/21/2018 2:14:18 PM

(browneyesboo) I was wondering what that rattling sound was.

*HAHAHAHAHA!!!*

I *LOVE* good burns!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 36
view profile
History
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/21/2018 4:25:56 PM
How ill is he if he can go dancing?? My bet is that he is married and looking for an out of town fling. You can get him to Skype and then see how he is physically... I would be curious.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 37
view profile
History
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 3/23/2018 8:49:05 PM
I was a pilot in the USMC, I used to pile it over here and pile it over there.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 38
view profile
History
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 4/16/2018 1:52:43 PM
browneyes ... I get those same scammers ... they're not very imaginative or creative ...

the one yesterday said she was looking at Plenty of Fish at the office, a man walked by behind her, just happened to see my picture and profile that was up on her screen ... blah, blah ... he doesn't have an account, needs me to send him an e-mail!!!

what kind of office could she work out where her computer screen is visible to those walking by? why was she looking at my profile? ... on and on ... I laughed a bit, ignored it ...
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 39
view profile
History
OVER 60 SCAMMER?????
Posted: 5/19/2018 9:57:39 AM
I just stuff them around with words.

They disappear, and fast.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > OVER 60 SCAMMER?????