Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Random Musings - Talk About Everthing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jacknher
Msg: 26
Random Musings - Talk About EverthingPage 2 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
And speaking of TV seriries. Has anyone been watching Derry Girls?
It's been absolutely mint. And is still up to watch on catchup on Channel 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYm_tqO9nI
 rekirked
Msg: 27
Random Musings - Talk About Everthing
Posted: 2/24/2018 7:06:30 AM
Jacknher do you remember Skippy? I think that was made in Oz, loved it!

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 Jacknher
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/24/2018 9:53:29 AM

Jacknher do you remember Skippy? I think that was made in Oz, loved it!

Yes I do....I loved it too. And I remember having a huge crush on the helicopter pilot.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2018 10:13:53 AM
Shank you very much ladiesh. I'm shitting here watching Shcotland at the rugby (enough of the cod james bond shtyle eh style written word ya daftie).

Skippy? You mean THAT skippy the police informing kangaroo? You couldnae even slip out to ye olde sheep dip bar and bistro for a sly pint without that grassing marsupial telling someone.

Imagine if he git had access to a mobile phone? Tut tut tut tut what skippy? Johnny has been shoplifting again?

Horrible animal. And its mate slapper or flapper the gossiping dolphin. Eek eek eek ya sleekit wee rodent (yes i KNOW technically it's no a rodent but..........)

I mind those times well. There were even dugs leading the polis to your stash of class b's or whatever.

New Yorker
Allo allo was a boss comedy. The gendarme was great. If you have netflix look up Still Game. It was showing on american netflix. (We have a different version. We get the uk one).

There have been some horrendous attempts at comedy alas. Fawlty Towers and most of Only Fools And Horses still stand the test of time.

22-13 to us at the rugby just now. Kick on.

Oh i had a mcdonalds today. Along with 3 of the grandbairns. First one in years. Be the last one for another few years as well might i add.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/24/2018 10:26:17 AM
^ ^ ^ I reckon McD's are ok,
as opposed by the pure shite of Burger King.........
I have one every few years just to check if they've got edible (yet)
......that'll be 'no' then...............

Justanotherchap
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2018 10:42:23 AM
Looks like England played as badly as a McD tastes - well done Scotland.
 Squareslice
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/24/2018 11:21:21 AM
Wha's like us? Just clearing out the stragglers now then back tae ma wee flat using the good direction o the M8.

Oh... take a wild guess how many roos were killed making Skippy The Bush Kangaroo... average was 2 per show.
Also, Mark (Taggart) McManus appeared in Skippy as a a bad lad.
 Mikitaka
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2018 3:32:58 PM
Square - there's been a murder or maybe two. Both wae big sticky oot ears.

Vlad - I was playing fitba and crashed into the post. Took my left arm right off. I had to stick it in ice behind the bar and go in goals for the second half (I hate going in goals). Anyway I sewed it back on after the game. Painkilers ! Painkillers ! Ya big girl's blouse. Rugby was mint btw.
 Squareslice
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/25/2018 12:58:22 AM
you takin the mick, mikitaka?
As well as McManus, Roddy Mcdowall appeared in Skippy

McManus was a cowboy in Australia n was chief horse wrangler in Ned Kelly... the one wi Mick Jagger in the lead
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/25/2018 2:21:08 AM
I see the Duchess of Cornwall
(Gawd bless you M'am, tugs forelock)
Has just come up with this spiffing wheeze -
"The Duchess of Cornwall is urging parents to read to children daily and "lead them on a voyage of discovery"."
She is, of course, totally missing the point that we have
a huge number of semi-illiterate 'parents'in the UK
who would struggle with anything more difficult than Noddy.
And that's why Aristos are what they are sometimes,
well meaning but with no real understanding of that 'other' world
outside their comfortable existence.
(salutes - badly - replaces battered cloth cap on head & limps off...)

vlad dracul
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2018 3:14:41 AM
Miki
"Vlad - I was playing fitba and crashed into the post. Took my left arm right off. I had to stick it in ice behind the bar and go in goals for the second half (I hate going in goals). Anyway I sewed it back on after the game. Painkilers ! Painkillers ! Ya big girl's blouse. Rugby was mint btw."

A hearty salutation gadgie. Yourself and man citeh keeper bert trautmann (spl) would be an asset to any side. For those not ITK Bert Trautmann was a former german pow who ended up playing for man city in goals. He played in a cup final with a broken kneck.

"Trautmann breaks neck in Cup final

Manchester City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann, who died at the age of 89 on Friday, breaks his neck during the 1956 FA Cup final at Wembley.

The German broke several vertebrae in his neck when he collided with Birmingham's Peter Murphy - but was unaware of the seriousness of the injury and played the rest of the match, which City won 3-1."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23372473

Bunster
"And that's why Aristos are what they are sometimes,
well meaning but with no real understanding of that 'other' world
outside their comfortable existence.
(salutes - badly - replaces battered cloth cap on head & limps off...)"

Not just aristos mate. Politicos as well. They do not have a scooby doo about what is happening outside THEIR world.
 Squareslice
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/25/2018 7:00:56 AM
Ma wee granny started me reading n writing at 3 n when I started school, ma teacher was flummoxed.
Ah ken big words n that!

Vlad, that goalie was world famous for that. Nae prima donna keech that makes ye faw doon n greet if someone looks at ye funny. Ah can click ma big toe like snappin yer fingers. Gained that "accidently" missin the baw n bootin ma twunt o a PE teacher full on the shin.
He was such a bastid he left teaching n joined the polis.
 Jacknher
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/25/2018 9:11:07 AM

Oh... take a wild guess how many roos were killed making Skippy The Bush Kangaroo... average was 2 per show.

Hi Square......just wondering where you read/heard that.
I was always under the impression that the animals used were registered with National Parks and Wildlife Service, who kept a fairly close eye on the way the show was run. Also the human stars of the show complained that whichever kangaroo was currently starring as Skippy (there were about 9 or 10 over the years) was pampered far more than the human cast members.
Not that I'm condoning everything that apparently went on there. Certainly not them using an elastic band to make Skippy's jaw move........or giving an emu half a bottle of whisky to keep it placid enough to work with.....and goodness knows what else.

BUT.....as far as I know, only one kangaroo was was killed during the making of the series. And that was because some Uni students tried to "kidnap" one of the kangaroos as a publicity stunt....and ended up spooking the other kangaroos and causing one to end up with fatal injuries.

There was also an incident about 10 years ago when 2 kangaroos in the park where Skippy had been filmed, were found emaciated and had to be put down. Apparently the person/company who had taken over the Wildlife Park had stopped applying for a licence a few years earlier. BUT them not applying for a licence and no longer running the place as a Wildlife Park just meant that the poor animals already living there were left to their own devices.....with no-one seeming to care to make sure there was enough food for them.
 Squareslice
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/25/2018 10:55:08 AM
Ever seen a roo up a tree? Well, the roos were forced to do things that were not natural to them n died of stress as well as falling out of trees and other stunts.

Did ye notice that the roo in skippy was either very young or, more likely, was a wallaby?

We have wild wallabies in Scotland...
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/25/2018 2:02:55 PM
So I'm idly not watching Beeb - it's a program
about how 'we' used to eat & live. (it says here)
They're making a Monday pie, potatoes, left-over meat
(corned beef in this one), carrots & topped with grated cheese.
Don't get me started about the current price of bully beef,
the amount of cheese on the top of this thing would have
fed, or bankrupted, a small African nation..............
Times change - but I'm certain we never saw that amount of cheese
used in our house in the fifties.....
I guess this is how the Beeb likes to portray post-war Britain?
(I remember Macmillan telling us that we'd never had it so good -
lino, no proper heating,one chanel tv, no home fridges, mangles,
single glazing (ice on the inside of the windows), grey weather,
grey clothes(washing powder was rubbish) & the Communists
infiltrating the union movement =- oh yes, and the cinemas
weren't allowed to open on Sundays, nor the shops......I remember it
seemed to be always raining, when we didn't have smog & half the country
dying of flu - thanks Mac, but you did ok, so that's alright).

Mikitaka
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2018 2:05:22 PM
Vlad - that would put Trautman at @ 16 year old in 1945. A time when Germany were throwing their kids into the war in desperation. Loads of POWs had nowhere to go at the end of the war, as the Russians had annexed half their homeland. So many stayed here or emigrated to the Americas. They were a hardy lot. I get regaled by stories from my ex father in law also a German pow about touring the fairgrounds fighting in the boxing booths to make a shilling.
 billybonds
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/25/2018 3:13:25 PM
I haven't watched the bbc all day. I saw on my phone that Arsenal failed to win what was the English league cup.
Been eating a lot of cheese lately and can report an uptick in concomitant worrying dreams until I wake up and realise I was only dreaming. No chuzzzz dreams I wonder if chap had any. Does cheese do positive dreams ever. Supermac, I think his wife slept with Bob Boothby who slept with Ronnie Kray . Then the sixties, the inflation started kicking in then it's always good at first. Alec Douglas Hume who gave up his peerage was it for good? Then Harold and the white heat of something. Then Ted who I don't like. Then sunny Jim not a bad pm...Maggie Maggie Maggie ...out out out...Then brixton John and his twenty billion pound, 3 million unemployed ERM fiasco . What was it black Wednesday and 10% interest rate rates then 12% Then our twenty billion reserves and then 15% and then we suspended our membership when we realised the Germans weren't going to set interest rates in our interests. Then that guy even more awful then Ted. Then Gordon who I thought image wise was a pleasing prime minster. Then banal David . And now the remainer with great lower pins, Theresa Mayhem who is still there and who failed to connect with the electorate at the last general election. The next pm will be Mogg the younger Oh maybe Theresa will hang on who knows. I'm watching the 10 year us treasury at the moment it's on my phone.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2018 3:15:05 PM
Leftovers of meat, potatoes, veggies in a pie with cheese on it sounds like Shepherd's pie.

Prices around the States vary, but gas is $2.80 a gallon right now, beef got super expensive. Ribeye or other steaks (sirloin, all on the bone) on sale are $6.99 per pound, mince beef 80% lean - 20% fat is $2.99 per pound, whole chicken .99 cents a pound (1 penny under $1), milk is .99 a quart, dozen eggs is .99 cents, sliced sandwich bread $1. These are sale prices; I only buy things on sale. Fruit is expensive now since its winter, but I can still get them on sale for $1 per pound for oranges and pears. Bananas .50 cents per pound.

People who are just "off the boat", meaning new immigrants, they tend to be tough and rough people. That tends to mellow with the next generation. They may not have the same drive or be as tough. Some people complain about not being able to survive here, but they are most likely born here, while Europeans could come here, and sometimes not speak English, and they do well and even open businesses.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2018 4:03:59 PM
totally love skippy.Got 3 dvds of all the episodes that my son watched over and over again when he was little. Don't remember watching them at all when I was a kid, though my mum used to be adamant that I had.

And the littlest hobo.
 rekirked
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/26/2018 1:03:05 AM
I used to love Saturday mornings. skippy, Tarzan (the original Johnny Weissmuller one) and Saturday banana then a quick polish of the chopper and out to play.

https://radiosoundsfamiliar.com/complete-tv-times-september-1978.php
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2018 1:41:53 AM
No Chuzz and no Chuzz dreams Billy.

I saw a little of that program about the 60's. They were better than the 50s, lots of slum clearances and new housing. Not all council estates were bad, I lived on one, bt for sure there were better and worse parts. Do you remember Iceland the shop? it's still around but thy introduced freezers for the masses. My Mum bought one and half a cow. It was great at first but beef of some sort just about every day palled.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/26/2018 2:29:29 AM
Iceland started out as Bejam - I remember that stunt with the freezers-
most were bought on credit & when the food was finished, most of
the freezers were dumped outside at that point, leaving the finasnce
companies to chase the debt :)

flossiescratchwood
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2018 3:00:34 AM
my mum used to buy frozen yoghurts from bejam, then boxes of broken biscuits from shoppers paradise next door.

I regularly shop in Iceland. They have loads of good fresh stuff, still a load of unhealthy frozen crap but also a whole load of reasonably healthy frozen crap these days too.

I lived my childhood on a council estate(bar the first two years which were in a caravan) and it was absolutely fine. To be fair, my home town being a new town was one massive council estate really.It's a large majority student housing now.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2018 3:34:00 AM
Slum clearances. This one below is of interest to me personally................

"LIKE A dormant volcano, it was a disaster waiting to happen, but sadly the authorities failed to act in time. The Penny Tenement collapse of 1959 left 19 families homeless and prompted the eradication of Edinburgh’s slums. The 5-storey “Penny Tenement” at 6 Beaumont Place had threatened to fall down for decades. It was situated in St Leonards, a district of the city, which, along with neighbouring Dumbiedykes, had long been regarded as a slum.

Collapse At 5am on the morning of 21 November 1959 the back wall of the Penny Tenement came down with a tremendous crash. Terrified residents were woken immediately. Many of them, including a two-year-old infant, fell with the rubble through the floors. The two-year-old’s mother, Mrs Betty Brock, sustained severe leg injuries while jumping from the third floor to save her young daughter. Luckily, she was able to pull out the child from the debris with only a minor cut to the head.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/entertainment/the-penny-tenement-collapse-that-changed-edinburgh-forever-1-4386368

Why the interest? Because the child Betty Brock (she was pregnant at the time as well) was expecting at the time was my mate Tam (who has himself 'died' twice since then. But another story that be).

After the collapse the family moved to the Moredun housing scheme. The scheme had three parades of shops and the brocks moved into a house above one of the shops at the (what me from my end of the scheme called) the second shops.

The catholic church bought the family everything they needed for the new house and the brocks paid the church back handsomely over the years with donations.

As i said before i have lived in pre fabs all my days. I was looking at the edinphoto site the other day and a geezer has a photie up of when the Craigour pre fabs were being built. His house was at the top of the street in now live in.

Anyway the bath time photie of the geezer and his brother is the double sink in the kitchen. The massive Belfast sink and the normal sink. I explained to my lassie that the pre fabs were well ahead of there time. The coal fire and the flues that ran to each bedroom was an early central heating system. The smoke from the fire though meant most flues got sealed.

The kitchen had a gas fired fridge and cooker installed as well.

Happy family days.

Ah well back to spreading my emulsions.

Toodle pip
 Squareslice
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/26/2018 11:16:52 AM
Mik, the few remaining prefabs in Glesga are now listed buildings, would ye believe?
They must be an insure's wet dream cos they cannae burn doon... about 90" asbestos after all.

As for skippy, there was no animal wefare back in the 60s

Ah watched Tarzan as a short at the Sat morn matinees at the local palais of moving pictures... was aye queued out, but me n ma pals aye got in. Handy when yer Da was the projectionist n let ye in early... ah the good auld Mossy
https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/imageproxy.php?url=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/norrie123/album%202/Glasgows%20Cinemas%20N%20McNamee/mosspark-cinema-mosspark_zpsxgwjnsh9.jpg
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Random Musings - Talk About Everthing