Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Random Musings - Talk About Everthing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jacknher
Msg: 51
Random Musings - Talk About EverthingPage 3 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
But we are talking Australia......and in particular New South Wales. The animals on Skippy were registered with The National Parks and Wildlife Service of New South Wales which was founded in 1967....the year they filmed the first season of Skippy.....and were regularly checked by the NPWS.

I don't recall Skippy being up any trees. There are such things as tree Kangaroos.....but they are a Rainforest marsupial and not native to NSW.
And sorry but I do not believe there's a cat in hell's chance that an average of 2 kangaroos per episode died during the making of the show. I'd be very interested in seeing where you read that though.

This is a good article about the show
https://www.classicaustraliantv.com/Skippy.htm
 Squareslice
Msg: 52
Random Musings - Talk About Everthing
Posted: 2/27/2018 4:29:39 PM
OK, maybe it's an urban myth, but def more than one roo was used. I also meant per season, not episode.
The production company was aye very dodgy about how many roos they used.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2018 8:10:25 PM
They usually have more than one animal that shows use, then make believe it's the same one. For the American show Lassie, they used generations of the same dog as time went on.

About Skippy:

Original directors and crew members will share tales of how they had to use up to 10 kangaroos for the scenes. They even admit to plying an emu with alcohol just to make it more manageable for shooting scenes. A bushfire scene was shot without any approval from authorities. Back in those days, clearly they could get away with a lot.

This link said a documentary was made about what went on during that show: http://www.tv.com/news/skippys-darkest-secrets-17740/
 vlad dracul
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2018 12:34:18 AM
Ive nae sympathy with the police informant marsupial. Maybe they got put into a kangaroo witness protection scheme? The git grassed on everyone it could.

Well yesterday was a revelation for me. With the amber warning about the snow coming i thought i should get provisions in. Normally it would be beer and crisps. But i went to iceland*.

So no having a cooker i got some dogs bollocks (maybe literally) ready meals. And cornflakes. Anyway it came to £49.53. So the lassie at the till said 'do you want these delivered?' I never knew you could get that service. I also got an iceland bonus card. Happy days.

* new yorker. That was the shop called iceland and no the nation.

So later on I'm talking to my pal in canada. Tells her about the snow and the ensuing chaos. So i sent her a bbc link to the havoc the snow caused.

Her and the lassies at her work burst out laughing at the jack knifed truck in 2" of snow. The minus 10 temperature was met with derision and i was told that was t-shirt day in canada.

Bloody colonials eh?

And talking weather what about anglia trains? 249 trains cancelled and it never even snowed. Anglia trains blamed the weather forecasters lol
 NewYorker58
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2018 1:22:53 AM
The kangaroo was a snitch? No wonder no one had respect for it☺ In NY, you get cement shoes for doing that, then get put in water to sink.

An Amber Alert in the states is to alert people that a child is missing, usually abducted. A Silver Alert is for missing old people, usually due to dementia.

£49.53? That's $68, which is a lot of money! I bought corn flakes too. Sometimes I have it for dinner, because I like it, with sliced banana and sugar. Dog bollocks? You should have gotten the whole dog for that price☺ My UK friends that feed their dogs raw food like I do seem to be finding it easy to find bollocks, and feed them as is or dehydrate them for treats. They're dehydrating a lot of penis too. Seems to be popular there.

I heard about that really warm day in Canada. My mum told me it was 26c (79f) in NY that day. We're not used to snow in Washington State in the part I live in. Even though WA is far north, right below British Columbia, Canada. It's said to be a Mediterrnean Climate. It snows a few inches, then it's a mess. Flights also get cancelled out of fear. Schools get closed. When I was a child, we would need a foot of snow before they closed schools. In WA state, we do have many hilly streets, so that's a problem. They don't want school buses on the road.

Btw, I loved your Sean Connery accent☺ Well done!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2018 1:35:38 AM
Well I don't know about Canada but in Norway, where I lived for a few years, everyone had 2 sets of wheels and tyres, summer and winter. Most people swapped the tyres in September and I think the laws was that you had to have winter tyres from 1st October. You could drive on ice relatively safely on the winter tyres but boy did they rip the road up when there was no snow, hence they are illegal (I'm pretty sure of that) in the UK. From mid September on we switched into cold weather clothing. Why would we do that in the UK for a once in ten years scenario?

Anyway, wish me luck, I have a 100 mile trip this morning and snow flurries are forecast. I could be gone some time.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2018 1:45:49 AM
Because we rarely get snow, people don't use snow tires, they use chains, so chains on tires for traction. It's one piece that you slip over tires. Over passes (high elevation roads) where they get a lot of snow, you must put chains on. In some states, you can't use studded tires (snow tires), unless there's enough snow or the metal nubs on the tires damage the roads.

Good luck in your travels. Sometimes it's not about your driving, but watching out for everyone else.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2018 3:30:16 AM
Chapster
"You could drive on ice relatively safely on the winter tyres but boy did they rip the road up when there was no snow"

What's the excuse for our bad roads then? The romans left better roads than we have now. This was amusing. There is a video on the link...........

"A ‘council worker’ who says the local council’s budget for fixing potholes was not big enough has taken matters into his own hands. Instead of using the tried and tested tarmac, he decided to use Coco Pops and a six pint carton of milk into the pothole, claiming it is only a ‘temporary fix’ until they get a better budget.

The video was filmed in the area of East Ayrshire Council, which has been forced to treble its roads repair budget to £6m as a result of potholes. The video was posted to a parody page called ‘East Ayrshire Cooncil’ with the caption: ‘****ing Coco Pops. This is what £6 million gets you.’

The men selected a huge pothole in Kilmarnock to make their point.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/23/someone-used-coco-pops-to-mock-council-for-not-filling-potholes-7336850/?ito=cbshare

New Yorker
Is it no quite rainy over where you stay in shermanland? I mind watching the telly show the killing. It was filmed in seattle because the writer of the show said the rain and cloud minded him of the driech weather in scandinavia.

Mind how you drive chapster.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2018 5:43:47 AM
I'm back already!

Nice little drive, no snow although the Malverns looked lovely with a dressing of icing.

Will this forecast bad weather actually get here or will it fizzle out - sorry if you're struggling elsewhere in the UK.
 billybonds
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/28/2018 6:48:30 AM
I've been out and about.... it was dicey this morning
but now I'm home and hungry. I wore a jacket today and gloves.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2018 7:54:36 AM
I am assured that this photo was taken in Scotland this morning.

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28576516_2005548293051560_8836909560282021932_n.jpg?oh=c71d3b303bb54b99f7bc67ab1eca4736&oe=5B483260
 Squareslice
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/28/2018 2:09:15 PM
Funny thing about that pic, chappy, Ah can virtually guarantee she'll be wearing pyjamas as well as hingin oot some!

Oh.... every Lassie was male, btw... noo THAT is true!
 NewYorker58
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2018 11:36:11 PM
Vlad, "shermanland", I couldn't figure out what that meant.

We have a rainy season in the winter. It's fairly balmy then, rare to get snow. It usually doesn't get too hot or too cold all year. The rain is usually light, people don't bother to use umbrellas. It's warm, so everything stays green. It looks like summer in the winter. Every state gets about 5 months of not great weather, so it's a choice whether you choose a very hot or cold state. Mine is moderate. I can live anywhere or move back to NY. I choose to stay here for the climate and beauty of the state. Last summer, we had over 50 days without perceptible rain.

Slice, I heard that about Lassie. Also, stand in dogs were female.
 Squareslice
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/28/2018 11:55:43 PM
Allow me to translate.... Sherman tanks... Yanks... hence Shermanland

We, up in Scotland, use more rhyming slang than them dahn saaarf...

Yay us... still no sign of a plough or gritter in Glasgow... council have just sat back n let the city go in to shut down
 NewYorker58
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2018 12:20:35 AM
Thanks! I thought of that, but wasn't sure if they were American. I see there's a Brit connection:

The M4 Sherman, officially Medium Tank, M4, was the most widely used medium tank by the United States and Western Allies in World War II. The M4 Sherman proved to be reliable, relatively cheap to produce, and available in great numbers. Thousands were distributed through the Lend-Lease program to the British Commonwealth and Soviet Union. The tank was named by the British for the American Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman.

Where I live, they tell people to stay home if they can. People may venture out, then realize it's too bad to drive in and abandon their vehicle on the roadside to come back some other time to collect them. They don't want people doing that.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2018 3:18:01 AM
Talking about the homeless on fb - a few people on our local fb page have been encouraging residents to support a couple of local ones with food and hot drinks. Unfortunately a few people commented saying that both of the prominent ones prefer money. Seems one of them lives locally with her Mum and boyfriend and is sometimes seen being dropped off by the same car. Someone else had taken it on themselves to out the other one who supposedly sleeps in his old untaxed uninsured car. Except that it isn't. That someone has photographed him getting out of his car and changing into old clothes to appear more vulnerable.

Looks like they're both making decent money and have homes. So sad that these people are making it difficult for the others truly in need.
 rekirked
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/1/2018 11:33:06 AM
The solution to me seems fairly simple, we have the vagrancy act which makes begging a criminal offence. Any local authority can enact this at anytime but they’re wary because people will accuse them of being heartless to the less fortunate in our society. A simple procedure of releasing without charge anyone who is genuinely homeless and prosecuting those who aren’t would clear away most of the problem and give the council the power to deal with a growing problem of fake homeless beggars.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2018 2:08:29 PM
In my state, we have homeless encampments. They set up tents in empty lots, or under raised roadways. They get moved, and set up someplace else, over and over. These are not the people begging. Those people look like they're just pretending to need money and are not homeless. A documentary showed homeless kids were making $100 a day by begging. They spend it on drugs.

The problem with trying to provide shelter is that there's rampant drug abuse (leaving needles around), and sexual assault and some are mentally ill. For beggars, it would be considered a victimless crime to beg, so as long a they're not approaching people and harassing them, they let them be. I only see one or two by one particular grocery store.

We are having a heroin epidemic here. Some gov't liberals want to open injection sites where they can inject heroin with someone there if they OD, then they can inject them with a drug to keep them from possibly dying. Everyone is pretty much opposed to this. No one wants it in their neighborhood, bringing drug addicts and crime.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2018 1:22:31 AM
New Yorker
"In my state, we have homeless encampments. They set up tents in empty lots, or under raised roadways. They get moved, and set up someplace else, over and over."

Billy Connolly the Scottish comedian done a series of shows where he travelled by train from chicago to seattle. Then seattle to los angeles. Then los angeles to some place in texas. Then texas to new york.

He stopped of in wee towns on the way. One was called glasgow funnily enough. But anyway he went to seattle and a homeless encampment. It was shocking the amount of folk who were stuck there.

In the year 2018 and folk living in tents or sleeping in doorways. It's fvckin appalling.

Snowmaggedon
Hot water over the car windaes is quite normal here. And a blanket over the engine.

Telly
Four in a bed is my favourite telly show just now. I record it and watch in the morning before i head out. The cattiness is most chucklesome.
 billybonds
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/2/2018 2:12:26 AM
America the biggest creditor nation in 1980 now
the largest debtor nation in history.

Credit cards for the masses !!!

Sorry we've done those...

Debt for students!! Sorry...

Universal incomes!!!!! What do we want universal incomes when do we want.....now

It would have been better to go with Keynes' Bancor.

I'm not up & out yet but any moment the duvet is coming off.
 billybonds
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/2/2018 5:16:20 AM
I'm going for a run now ..... you hero billy. ...shucks ....

The fed's promising four rate hikes this year and is definitely shrinking its balance sheet and now Kuroda is making QT noises and Draghi...what's going on... it's print or die guys ?

My guess is that they need to get the federal funds rate up so that they can cut it at the next recession. In 2007 I think they reached 5% before everything cratered. With the trend in the rate being lower highs and lower lows over the cycle I think they might get the rate to 3% this time leaving them 3 % to cut and maybe if they go negative, a bit more. That will in their minds provide them with the fire power to get us out of collapse 2..we are at a target range of 1.25-1.50 % at the moment and the markets who are on welfare are flailing. I blame Bretton woods it was Triffin's dilemma...we were warned your majesty....
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/2/2018 6:30:22 AM

I blame Bretton woods it was Triffin's dilemma...we were warned

Quite right, there was a book about it. ‘The Day of the Triffins’......
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2018 7:23:56 AM
should've gone to Specsavers
 Squareslice
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/2/2018 12:47:31 PM
Get back tae yer bitcoin thread, Billy. Yet again, another thread gets invaded wi yer pish.
I ken fine this is random, but try n actually BE random rather than entirely predictable.

Cleaned my frog tank today.... the gits then went radio rental over raw beef.
 Squareslice
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/2/2018 4:49:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

sing n dance along
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Random Musings - Talk About Everthing