Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > When's the last time you met someone in real life to date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Canelas19
Msg: 26
view profile
History
When's the last time you met someone in real life to date?Page 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Wow, you really seem to know what you are talking about. Any dating advise for us newbies?

OP, I met my 2nd spouse IRL thru our job connection. I was not looking & I had no clue he had an interest. We had spoken on the phone many times, professionally & unbeknownst to me, he spied me on the company's website & then showed me to his adult children (he was widowed a long time) & made a joke "this is your new stepmother"! He had his daughter invite me to spend a week at her house (we lived far apart) & the rest as history.

This was not my plan, but I was at the point in my life where I felt I was in a rut, & gave it a chance.

I had done OLD & IRL dating over a 20 year span.
I met men at meetup, taking long walks, at the gas station, getting coffee, at Walmart/Sam's Club grocery shopping, blind dates, at the Cemetary, at the Mall, at a Twin Peaks Fan Club, on a bus (the bus driver), when out dancing, blind dates. Men are everywhere.
 Nestaron
Msg: 27
When's the last time you met someone in real life to date?
Posted: 3/8/2018 3:07:24 PM
The best way to meet people in real life

1. Don't skip work happy hour- but this seems to be a problem with some people dating co-workers well you know they might have friends coming
2. Events friends and people go to on facebook or wherever even not facebook cause well it's fun and people are there you can meet.
3. Friends birthday parties- cause their your friends duh... Actually never know who shows up
4. Public transportation - No sh!t 4 in one week riding a bus not kidding
5. Volunteer your time- for several obvious reasons
6. Talk to strangers not close them off- No problem cause well it's fun refer back other reasons
7. Get a dog go for a walk- I forget the dog and walk myself who needs a pet when I can talk to them about theirs
8. Take a class- I like this nice and social different types are good tai chi, yoga, pilates, cooking oh yeah I do sh!t not cause I need to cause I know where to go. Usually to hell but sometimes it works
9. Agree to be setup - Hope it's not the worst one ever I had that once not pretty.
10. Become a regular somewhere- I use a coffee shop, laundromat, grocery store, theatre cause that sh!t just works and it's nice when they know you
11. Do more things- alone not in groups
 Platinum_Blonde_Angel
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/8/2018 3:27:37 PM
msg 26
since ur already a hottie who prob gets hit on a gazillion times

if u want a real relationship

dress conservative & wear your hair up so more serious men will approach you.

The nice guys prob stare while all the pervs & players fall all over you.

Just do your own thing, pursue ur own interests.

1. Don't skip work happy hour- but this seems to be a problem with some people dating co-workers well you know they might have friends coming
2. Events friends and people go to on facebook or wherever even not facebook cause well it's fun and people are there you can meet.
3. Friends birthday parties- cause their your friends duh... Actually never know who shows up
4. Public transportation - No sh!t 4 in one week riding a bus not kidding
5. Volunteer your time- for several obvious reasons
6. Talk to strangers not close them off- No problem cause well it's fun refer back other reasons
7. Get a dog go for a walk- I forget the dog and walk myself who needs a pet when I can talk to them about theirs
8. Take a class- I like this nice and social different types are good tai chi, yoga, pilates, cooking oh yeah I do sh!t not cause I need to cause I know where to go. Usually to hell but sometimes it works
9. Agree to be setup - Hope it's not the worst one ever I had that once not pretty.
10. Become a regular somewhere- I use a coffee shop, laundromat, grocery store, theatre cause that sh!t just works and it's nice when they know you
11. Do more things- alone not in groups

this too... 4-11 are more of what i'd suggest
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/8/2018 3:48:42 PM

A Sissy Germophobe like you?!? 'shya, right...

Things actually worked out splendidly. I was already wearing a biohazard suit for a cyber-goth rave.

"shya, right"? Way to keep things fresh, Wayne.

Do more things- alone not in groups

Yes indeed. To me, there's nothing more pitiful than someone who can't/won't do things alone because they need someone else present holding their hand. I will do the group thing from time to time, but only if I am driving. I won't ride with anyone else. I'm not letting them control the whole night.
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/8/2018 4:30:57 PM
It's been a long time. My dating life has been horrific at best since I moved to the south. I live in a small town and it's considered hookup central, which equates to lots of STDs. I've always done better in person, but there are not a lot of options socially as I'm not into the bar scene.

I seem to have a knack for meeting men in Walmart, even though I don't care for that store. I've met at least three guys and gone out with two. One was married and lying about his marital status. I did go out with the other two. One is moving to Belgium...that's how my luck seems to work down here.

The other one I had the most chemistry with, but ultimately we were not compatible. He was about nine years younger, a huge texter, which I'm not. I'll text some, but when I'm getting to know someone I prefer to have a brief conversation here and there. He wanted to either text or be face to face. He ended up moving to Hawaii. We went out a few times before I let him know that I didn't think we were compatible.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/8/2018 5:11:54 PM

(AT) A Sissy Germophobe like you?!? 'shya, right...

(Wilbur) Things actually worked out splendidly. I was already wearing a biohazard suit for a cyber-goth rave.

"shya, right"? Way to keep things fresh, Wayne.

You got the reference. Kids these days.. if it's not on FB/Twitter/InstaGram, it's like it never existyed.

Oh, and to keep things contentious: you suck.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/8/2018 5:55:16 PM
Re. Msg 23
Wow, this politics thing is ruining dating. I got contacted by a hottie who said he was a liberal and it was non negotiable. Well if u gotta bring that up... I voted for Trump and will do so again. :(
 siisaa
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2018 6:52:16 PM
I got asked out at work a few days ago but declined. Before that, I was hanging out at a local bar w/ my female co-worker a couple of weeks ago when another customer asked me for my phone number. We texted a bit, talked on the phone once but after that conversation, I began to ignore his requests to see me again. In these scenarios, we didn't "date" but I find it refreshing if men show interest offline. I'm not dating now but if I were, I'd hate to limit myself to online dating.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/8/2018 7:10:02 PM
Nestie's list is spot on. If people aren't chasing you....then you have to go chase them. Our modern devices allow us to retreat into our little bubbles. A problem one may find with going out to events in the hopes of meeting singles is...a lot of couples go out to events as "date night". Maybe you'll converse with a couple and the wife/gf may like you enough to set you up with a friend. Personally, blind dates for me, end up with women in my league (b/c no one wants to catch grief from their hot friend), and even those ladies might be holding out for a hotter guy.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/9/2018 4:29:53 AM

Oh, and to keep things contentious: you suck.

You suck harder, deeper, and longer x infinity.
 Platinum_Blonde_Angel
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/9/2018 5:31:06 AM

Personally, blind dates for me, end up with women in my league (b/c no one wants to catch grief from their hot friend), and even those ladies might be holding out for a hotter guy.

If a guy or girl is "hot" they don't do blind dates (unless you're a wealthy celebrity that they want to meet)
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/9/2018 6:03:40 AM

If a guy or girl is "hot" they don't do blind dates (unless you're a wealthy celebrity that they want to meet)

I've known some hotties, male and female, who were single b/c their personality was so abrasive they couldn't even put a good foot forward...or they were such airheads they were annoying. but eventually they would find someone as toxic, or willing to overlook their inability to take responsibility for daily tasks in life. Even they had better odds. Most hotties don't need to blind date unless they really don't get out. I remember a coworker inviting me to her wedding, and trying to set me up right there with her single, attractive friend...who gulped down her drink and beat feet, totally uninterested in a blind date at a wedding.
 sundress1
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/9/2018 6:40:13 AM
I have met men that I dated at several different avenues. School, networking/social organizations, bars/nightclubs, beach, just to name a few.
 benartflick
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/9/2018 6:51:52 AM

"If a guy or girl is "hot" they don't do blind dates (unless you're a wealthy celebrity that they want to meet)"

Ya didn't give much thought to that opinion - right? So YOU never observed a blind date involving a 'hottie' over your lifetime?

At least twice, so-called friends persuaded me to go on a blind date. The first time I was 18 and the last time I was 64. Without a doubt those gals were 'hot'.

A friend of mine resembled his distant cousin, Frankie Avalon, but my pal was better looking. A lot of girls thought he was 'hot'. I can't guess what you consider hot - most of us men may not even consider Elvis or Rock 'hot'.

Anyway, hot or not, I fixed my pal up 3 times (blind dates). That so-called friend wasn't pleased with one gal I fixed him up with, but he must have liked my date. Behind my back he asked my date out and she agreed to go out with him. Ya know, I'm still pissed off at him. My advice to teenage boys and men: beware of friends that girls or women might consider 'hot'. Ya just can't trust people around 'hot' people.
 Platinum_Blonde_Angel
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/9/2018 7:34:02 AM

That so-called friend wasn't pleased with one gal I fixed him up with, but he must have liked my date. Behind my back he asked my date out and she agreed to go out with him.

You sort of just proved my point.

Let me back-track- I made that post in the wee hours of the morning b4 my coffee.

What I should have said:
"if a guy or girl is "hot" they don't have to do blind dates"

NOT

"if a guy or girl is "hot" they don't do blind dates"

your "so-called" friend didn't HAVE TO- because he got a real life date w/ YOUR DATE.

Sorry that happened, Ben. Better to find out both of them were sneaks, I guess :0(
Sorry I was not clear enough in stating my opinion in the post made prior to this one.

I hope your "so-called" friend has reaped what he has sewn after all this time :0)
Not saying what, because it's not for me to judge. Just saying...
 Canelas19
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2018 2:12:20 PM
Duly noted. Thank you :)

Last time I met someone in person was at a Lounge during a girls night out 2 weeks ago. He was drinking alone and asked to join our group. He was kind and seemed harmless so I gave him my number when he asked, which I normally don't. The problem is that he called me so much for any crazy reason, at random hours after then that now I'm regretting it.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/9/2018 4:15:22 PM

(AT) Oh, and to keep things contentious: you suck.

(Wilbur) You suck harder, deeper, and longer x infinity.

Nuh-UH, hipster.
 HanoverFella
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/9/2018 6:30:51 PM
Cool picture Pig, are you one of the band member ghouls off Ghost?? :O
Square Hammer
 aintnodeal
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2018 6:54:23 PM
A woman from work. One and done. We never spoke again at work. She left the company a couple of years later.

Last year I was tempted to ask a woman from work out - but decided it just wasn't in mine or her best interest.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2018 10:40:45 PM
I'd never even been approached by a man in real life for the first 12 years after my divorce. Then, last summer, I was asked out twice in one week.

The first one I was just sitting in a 'comfy chair' at a local mall, killing time on my tablet waiting out rush hour traffic. The man across from me started asking questions about my tablet, then moved onto other topics, moved to the chair next to me, and kept the conversation rolling. This had never happened before so I was a bit slow on the uptake. He was attractive and charming, intelligent, retired, and well-to-do. Still, there was something about him that made me uncomfortable so I declined to give him my number or email. Although I didn't put it together at the time we were chatting, some days later I recognized his profile on POF and that he'd actually written to me a couple years ago. Apparently he didn't recognize me either because a couple months later he wrote to me through POF and I replied we'd already met at the mall to which he replied surprise blah blah blah.

A few days later I was sitting at the bar at a restaurant at the local marina and the last open seat was taken by an attractive (to me) older gentleman. He was in a good mood that he wanted to share with someone but since he was by himself he started to chat me up. He was in the process of selling his businesses to retire and was up from California to buy a boat which he was going to sail around the pacific northwest and then down the coast. He'd just come from the yacht broker next door and proceeded to show me pics of the boat he'd just bought. Conversation flowed while we each ate our dinners. He said he'd like to see me again when he returned to take possession of the boat and gave me his card. Of course as soon as I got home I googled him to see if he was legit. Maybe if he'd been 10 years younger I would have said yes. But I did not.

So I'm zero for two dating men I've met IRL.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/10/2018 3:42:21 AM

(HanoverFella) Cool picture Pig, are you one of the band member ghouls off Ghost?? :O

Nah, that's from when he broke in to the band's wardrobe and took a selfie wearing their props. He's too dull to realize that if they see the pic, they'll fire his malingering @$$. Stage-hands are a dime a dozen, after all...
 Cryptofabulous
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2018 7:21:11 AM

Last year I was tempted to ask a woman from work out - but decided it just wasn't in mine or her best interest.

The cast of Saturday Night Live hit the dangers of dating in the workplace on the head. LOL
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f76_1323277426
 siisaa
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2018 10:26:35 AM

Behind my back he asked my date out and she agreed to go out with him....My advice to teenage boys and men: beware of friends that girls or women might consider 'hot'. Ya just can't trust people around 'hot' people

Similar thing happened to me so the genders are easily interchangeable. Lesson learned: bringing hot or hotter people around your dates just sounds like self-sabotage.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/11/2018 4:17:30 PM

Cool picture Pig, are you one of the band member ghouls off Ghost?? :O

Ha. No. I had hordes of people asking me the same question and wanting pictures taken Halloween night, though.
 CBGB77
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2018 4:34:47 PM
The last time I met somebody in real life to date was in 1980. I'm still friends with her too on FB and IRL.
She still looks the same(I don't).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/fuzztone65/My%20pics/1002575_1409884375910428_940821709_n-1.jpg
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > When's the last time you met someone in real life to date?