Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Does anyone entertain at home anymore?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cynderella
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Does anyone entertain at home anymore?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Almost a lost art.
Back in the day my ex and I threw an annual pig fest, we call it Twigstock...mini version of Woodstock.
A few friends/members from some 70/80's well known BC bands would come play.
Use to host an annual Halloween bash...my fav holiday.
Many dinner parties....I miss the good old days.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 27
Does anyone entertain at home anymore?
Posted: 3/20/2018 5:34:02 AM

annual pig fest

The city of Orlando has these every year to celebrate my existence.

Use to host an annual Halloween bash.

Halloween is my jam. Christmas and Turkey Day can suck it.
 south_city
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/20/2018 8:31:51 AM
I don't mind having a small group of friends or relatives over my place to watch a sporting event. I'm not a big fan of having big parties though. It can take a lot time and/or money to set things up. Plus dealing with various restrictions (such as a person that can't eat a certain type of food), the possibility of unruly behavior / heated arguments among guests because of different viewpoints etc.
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2018 8:25:48 PM
Henry described my house best in Message 19...
[quote/]"it is not large, not fancy, and not suited to entertaining."
I'm focused on keeping a roof over head of my son and I and us 'comfortable'... I rent... our furniture is 'seconds'... we've just moved cross country and still establishing a "friendship' network...
this house 'could' have good potential, but it's purely a sanctuary... we swim in the pool on one side, I garden in the other...

I 'daydream' about entertaining... but recognise the reality that it won't happen... (establishing a kids community Lego club has been hard enough....) I enjoy Meetup for the 'entertainment' factor.. and that we can rotate/exchange locations much easier... a broad range of coffee shops/ restaurants and others do the cooking/cleaning....
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2018 8:30:30 PM
dang... can't edit... so addendum^^^^

Use to host an annual Halloween bash.

Halloween is my jam. Christmas and Turkey Day can suck it.

Much to the chagrin of 'many' Aussies Halloween is slowly taking affect here.... in my house we celebrate twice a year... October for the 'commercial' that my son enjoys so much... and (non-commercially) in May when for 'our' southern hemisphere season it is appropriate... and it usually falls on my birthday....
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2018 8:47:17 PM
I am with platinum blonde. A small dinner party is fine but then I am single and most of my friends prefer to eat out as it is easier, they can choose their own food and pay for it.
 Seki1949
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2018 9:36:10 PM
What happened to PBA? *poof* ???
 CBGB77
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2018 9:29:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nvivEqxjsI
 NewYorker58
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2018 12:06:46 AM
That was cute! They want everyone to have a gay time, and the girls want to show the guys a good time. My how word's meanings have changed☺ I love the guys in suits. Most guys look good in a suit or a sport jacket with a button-down shirt. I think that's sexy.

So, CBGB, are you still seeing that woman? I wanted to go to one of those painting events in my area when they were painting a hummingbird, but it was bad timing. I have metal artwork, a piece of metal with a hummingbird painted on it that I love. I have hummingbird feeders around my house. They're the world's smallest bird, and they're pretty friendly.
 CBGB77
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2018 8:27:02 AM

Posted By: Newyorker58 on 3/27/2018 2:06:46 AM
Subject: Does anyone entertain at home anymore?
Message: That was cute! They want everyone to have a gay time, and the girls want to show the guys a good time. My how word's meanings have changed☺ I love the guys in suits. Most guys look good in a suit or a sport jacket with a button-down shirt. I think that's sexy.

So, CBGB, are you still seeing that woman? I wanted to go to one of those painting events in my area when they were painting a hummingbird, but it was bad timing. I have metal artwork, a piece of metal with a hummingbird painted on it that I love. I have hummingbird feeders around my house. They're the world's smallest bird, and they're pretty friendly.

Thanks's Newyorker58! Yes I am still dating CW. We haven't got on a "Wine and Painting" date yet but maybe we can go bird watching at the Eloise Butler Wildlife Garden next week.It is the oldest public native plant garden in the United States and it is near where I live.The garden opens for the 2018 season on April 1st. You can see some of the beautiful birds there at this link below:

http://www.friendsofeloisebutler.org/pages/seasonal/birdswinter.html
 julystorm7
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/28/2018 9:24:05 AM
One thing I always liked to do was have pizza parties. I'd invite another family for a pizza night and make a bunch of homemade pizzas and salad and we'd visit. Make it really relaxed and have a variety of toppings to please everyone.

Another good idea is to have a bonfire. We had an advantage before because we had a huge yard with a fire pit in a small town so we'd roast food and drink and it was really laid back and fun.

We went over to someone else's house for supper once and played N64 (MarioKart and Goldeneye) for a number of hours. That was a lot of fun.

My university years my friends and I did a lot of suppers together. After our first year in residence,we were mostly living in apartments or houses after the first year, taking turns hosting each other for supper

I miss the way it used to be growing up. People were always stopping in at our house on the farm and staying for supper and we were always going to other peoples' houses for supper. Nothing was ever really planned much ahead, mostly last minute. Almost every weekend there were a bunch of adults with their kids in tow at our house to drink and play cards and visit and it was a lot of fun because us kids would all run around until we fell asleep. Those were the days growing growing up in farm country Saskatchewan. Now everyone has to plan things way ahead of time. No one stops in on each other anymore. I think maybe its because most women work outside the home now. Before, women were at home so the house was kept tidy and it wasn't so difficult to come up with a good meal on the fly and being at home with the kids all day, women wanted the company. Now I get home and have to find the energy to make supper quickly, take the kids to their activities or just stay at home and watch them, clean the house halfassedly then fall asleep to the tv in my room. If someone stops in without telling you first, you feel kind of ashamed if the house is a mess. If someone phones first you run around like a chicken with your head cut off trying to make things look acceptable.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2018 2:23:35 PM
CBGB, I'm glad things are going good! Of course the garden sounds great to me, and birding. I've got some of those birds here, the junco, chickadees, but have Stellar Blue Jays and a different kind of woodpecker. It sounds like Woody the Woodpecker. They're making holes in houses, so I don't try to attract them. I'm sitting here watching sparrows bird bathing themselves in my bird bath. I love to watch them bathe, sometimes they'll sit in it and soak. I just saw the return of the Rufous hummingbird at my feeder. It's stunning, with a shimmering copper color.

We have the tulip festival starting here, fields of tulips as far as the eye can see. The daffodils are in full bloom now, before the tulips.
 zonavar68
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2018 6:42:25 PM
I think lots of people do entertain at home, but when dating someone it's still a v-e-r-y big step to actually invite/ask someone to your home for the first time.

I've had first dates at people's homes and most of the time they've gone very badly. My worst one was actually the third one after I split with my ex of 15 yrs about 7 yrs ago now and this woman who I thought was just wonderful met up at her house one night and almost immediately she was all over me like a rash wanting to have sex and that absolutely scared the daylights out of me. She was beautiful, and she has a lovely place, but umm just wanting to do directly from chatting to in bed. Whoa... Maybe I'd started dating much too soon after the seperation (ex and I were never married btw) and should have just left it for at least a year before trying anything 'sexy' again.
 MsMicki
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2018 7:28:20 PM
I'm still entertaining at my home...a lot!!

I have quite a few get togethers throughout the year...
have 2 different Christmas parties....one for about a dozen girls I graduated high school with and one for about 10 of us gals that all worked together many years ago but are still great friends.
Spring thru fall is for hanging in/by the pool, pond and fire pit...
My guy that passed away a few years ago was the drummer of a great band, and that band (with their new drummer) plays for my parties....so at least twice in the summer it's a pretty big affair.
I absolutely love to cook (grill and smoke) for my friends and family...and most of them are quite good cooks too so there is always some good food going around!

and yes, I entertain my new guy quite frequently at my home...
he asked me to teach him how to cook so he can treat me now and then...he has bacon and eggs mastered now! lol
 ohenryx
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2018 8:16:11 AM

MsMicki
and yes, I entertain my new guy quite frequently at my home...

LOL. I’ll bet you do, and I’ll bet he has no complaints!

Meaning no disrespect, and knowing you only from your posts here in these forums, I strongly suspect that your “new guy” is a very happy man.

he has bacon and eggs mastered now! Lol

Hell, if he can make good coffee, you’re set for life!
 NewYorker58
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2018 8:47:20 AM
Micki, you do realize what Henry is complimenting you for, right? Exactly how new is your new relationship?
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2018 9:36:36 AM
I do not entertain at home anymore because I don't actually have a home. But I used to entertain quite a lot.

When I was married my husband's birthday is in April and we lived at a ski area, just off the main slope, so we hosted a 'birthday/end of ski season/welcome spring' party. That was an open invitation to all the locals and usually well attended. Likewise, there were a handful of other people who hosted 'open house' parties. When you may have 20-30+feet of snow for several months, snowmobile is the main transport, no phone/tv/internet, and months of dealing with rude and stupid touristas; it wasn't reciprocity so much as a way for a very small community to be a community rather than a smattering of people in the forest. This was during a less polarized political environment, plus our focus was mainly on local events that impacted our ability to work and live in 'deep snow country' so conversations rarely ran into troubled territory.

My ex-husband works in TV so when we moved to the flat-lands we put a movie theater in our house and hosted parties focused around the big screen like the Superbowl, the Olympics, or movie marathons like watching all 3 LoTR or Star Wars trilogy (with breaks for lunch and/or dinner). These were usually pot luck so it didn't matter who, or how many, showed up. And were usually well attended.

After the divorce I moved to a small island - less than 1,000 people (but hundreds of weekenders) and only 1 general store/post office/restaurant/bar, that you can only get to by ferry. I picked that island because my sister lived there, so I'd already met many people, and it has a wonderful community atmosphere to it. Entertaining at home rises and falls with whatever else is happening on the island. For example, the first few years I lived there I didn't entertain at home at all because there were so many other options. Most of my social circle met at the Store for dinner on Friday so no one was the host and it didn't matter who did or didn't show up. October through May a group of ladies prepared and served lunch on Thursdays at the community center. Everyone is welcome and that usually attracts not only residents but often workers on the island (e.g. the mail lady or residential construction crews). I loved these lunches because it was, mostly, a different group than the Friday night Store people. Then, my sister is a fantastic cook and loves to host parties so smaller gatherings were usually at her house.

Then the Store was sold and the new owners were so horrible that most of the islanders stopped going there. So for a few years, I and a small group of friends (and my sister) traded off hosting Friday night dinner at our homes. The host provided appetizer, main course, and beverage. Guests usually also brought an appetizer, wine, and dessert. No shortage of food. This was usually the same number of people but sometimes there might be friends or relatives 'up for the weekend' so there'd be additional people I may or may not have met before.

Then the Store was sold to an islander so locals started going back for socializing Friday or Saturday night but not like 'the good old days.' So my core social group is continuing with trading off the weekly dinner host.

But for years I've been planning to sell my house and move into some form of mobile unit. I've downsized my possessions and moved out of my house into an 'efficiency unit' on the mainland until my job ends this month. No way to host people here; I don't even have a table and only 1 chair But I've been enjoying the solitude. Thought I'd be getting my campervan and heading on the road this month but decided to work another 6 months. I've read a lot of blog posts and watched a lot of videos about van life and they caution about loneliness and ways to build/find community on the road. Apparently people do host/entertain in spaces as small as a camper van so I shall see about that. Some time next year.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2018 10:57:52 AM
Cynthia, did you live on one of the San Juan Islands? If by van life you mean rving, there are clubs a person could join: https://www.rvingwomen.org
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2018 11:37:04 AM
Yes, one of the San Juan islands but I'm inKirkland now.

I'm looking for a van the size of a sprinter or transit, not some land yacht with sliders. Already joined a Facebook group for women rvers but I'm not much of a joiner.
 MsMicki
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2018 3:13:53 PM

Micki, you do realize what Henry is complimenting you for, right? Exactly how new is your new relationship?

Yes NY ... and since he said no disrespect...and he knows me from many years of posts....I'll take it as the compliment it was meant as!!
and completely agree with him!! LOL
(Thanks Henry!!)

and we have been together around 2 1/2 years....
I say "new guy" because many know the man I lived with passed away 3 1/2 years ago. I still haven't figured out what to call him now!! He's not really an ex....and we weren't married so I'm not a widow....deceased boyfriend just doesn't sound right because he was much more that "just a boyfriend"...sigh...maybe I should just call him by his name ... Bart.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/24/2018 7:53:09 PM
Every time I grab one of my Vans & Pickups magazines from 1979, I look at the old custom vans with the waterbed in back and dry bar...and think about how modern tech (and online banking) can turn one of these old moving party locations into something with potential. Then I look at all the things in the house I still want to go thru, and think that i'll try it at a later date :)
 NewYorker58
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2018 2:54:11 AM
Micki, 2-1/2 years is a significant amount of time. I thought you mentioned he went on vacation with his granddaughter, and without you, which made me think you recently just met. For Bart, he could be termed as "my partner, significant other or bf of many years" I can't imagine having a deceased loved one already, even though my mom was a widow at 42. I didn't envision that with my ex since he's younger than I am with longevity in his family. His grandparents died in their 90s, having been married for over 70 years!
 MsMicki
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2018 5:45:21 AM
NY...we could be together 20 years and I wouldn't have a problem with him going on vacation with his granddaughter!!
That's what makes "us" work....we give each other space ...and it makes our time together that much sweeter!!

and yeah....no one really plans on losing their partner so young....but it happens and we grieve and keep on living...
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2018 6:45:13 AM
I prefer to entertain at my home and in the comfort of my own space because I can employ the creativity I want to move and creative in my own venue. Everything I make will be from scratch, prepared by my own hands.

There is no formality in my parties and people from all walks of life are welcome. I created as much as I can and freeze or give away what's left over.

There is no reciprocation. If I'm doing the inviting to a dinner party, I'm paying for the wine, groceries, the utilities to cook the meal and give my home a comfortable ambient setting, I'm doing ALL of the cooking and cleaning. It's my gift to my guests. You will get diversity, good laughs, and interesting ethnic cuisine. Lots of desserts, too.
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/25/2018 11:07:42 AM
I cooked my a$$ off for the Holidays, so until the next year, I'm on crock pot mode LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Does anyone entertain at home anymore?