Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Hawkings was wrong about the non-existence of God.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 376
view profile
History
Hawkings was wrong about the non-existence of God.Page 16 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I am afraid you, me, or anybody will have a hard time finding even one little answer. Personally I find the entire concept of fear and worship completely opposed to the very thing that all human beings want: to be free, to make their own decisions, to determine their own fate. What if I don't like 'God', for whatever reason ? What if I don't want to worship God ? The mere threat of punishment for refusing to worship 'God' totally annihilates everything God is supposed to stand for: love, forgiveness, acceptance.
Can you imagine...that there is NO god ? That we are here, on our own, and our main purpose is to help each other out as much as possible ?
 aremeself
Msg: 377
view profile
History
Hawkings was wrong about the non-existence of God.
Posted: 12/31/2018 6:28:28 PM

This for folks in general.

Let me take you by the hand,

If there is god, you will find out after you die.
But
If there is no god, you will find out nothing after you die.
So,
If there is god, you will see and find out.
And
If there is no god, well, not so much, eh?
You'll learn nothing more.
 gingerosity
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2018 8:17:38 PM

On the contrary. The gods will let you rot because you didn't sacrifice your firstborn child to them in just the right way.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 379
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2018 8:46:33 PM
I have often wondered what that "step back moment" would be like.

You know the one...the one as a parent when you have to step back and let them go. You hope you gave them enough. You would like to believe you equipped them with everything but you will settle for enough. It's their time to choose..they are free. Free to choose their own path, make their own destiny...right, wrong and everything inbetween. Excitement wars with apprehension and instinctive protectionism but resignition is the emotion that overtakes all. Free will is the inherent gift we are given...and love is reason.

Humanity...is God's "step back moment".

New Year? New Life? Your choice. :)
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2019 6:08:51 AM

Humanity...is God's "step back moment".

That is a very fascinating thought. And since it means that God, even if I don't believe he or it even exists, does not really control, or even wants to control, humanity, I could live with that. Ultimate love is setting someone free. Like opening the door of the bird cage...
 lnitia
Msg: 381
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2019 5:57:59 PM
^^Definitely-and wings we clip with our own limitations probably part of believing we are caged to begin with! Indeed humanity is at that critical juncture-do we fly or fall? Do we cage portions of humanity while others are set free? Do we glorify behind the eightball, or do we sink the cue ball? No guile just inquiry...
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 382
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2019 10:30:06 AM
I've seen a couple of vids wherein someone is setting a rabbit or bird free. And then a hawk or fox shows up and takes them away.

The problem of evil...wondering why god allows evil or created evil, if he exists and is all good...might be addressed by thinking about this. To be free, is to be completely free...is it not?
 backcreek7
Msg: 383
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2019 9:00:44 AM

I can't imagine anything being able to create even a relatively small thing such as our solar system, it is physically impossible to ' build '

^^^
... I will go one step further, offering a possible scenario for the creation of life. Maybe a vacuum was created by a being, existing in a " place " with no time, nor " physical " manifestation of any type . This " being " therefore, had always existed ( the being was neither born, nor existed in any " physical " world so to speak, as time did not exist ) This vacuum neither started in one place, nor ended in another. The vacuum had no bounds and time did not exist within' ........ Until the big bang occurred which created our universe(s) , time , physical forms, life forms & microbiological forms as well.

... Purpose ?? A guess might be, to produce another " creator " possibly, who knows ? Into this vacuum were placed 2 minute amounts of the gasses > hydrogen and helium. < From the interaction of these 2 gasses came heat, matter, the big bang and ALL life forms. Therefore, to say life came from rock, rock coming from 2 gasses reacting in a vacuum , may possibly, be a true statement. One word can describe it all ~ fascinating ...

... heart / life / sun
 backcreek7
Msg: 384
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2019 9:28:23 AM

If there is a God, you will find out after you die

^^^ In my " un-qualified " opinion, I think the above statement is incorrect. I personally believe, we human beings are here only as one rung in a ladder ...... This ladder leading to an end result known in advance, and proceeding exactly as planned. There are no " mistakes " - no " magic " - no " life " after death and no " religious " realities. The only " thing " that is known for sure, by we human beings > is that life can un-doubtably be a wonderful / horrible gift ( or a mixture of both )

... Another opinion ? > Intelligent LIFE is pre- destined > and all is proceeding as expected . The " result " is the reason why life was created in the first place ...

heart (love) / sun (star of life)
 lnitia
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2019 1:53:35 PM
DWS Why would there be a correlation to evil in the natural aspect of sustenance- or were you referring to the evil of setting something living free?
Like the way u think Back Creek my son just asked me the other day "Would if there were no heaven or hell?" I thought https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_FobtxWH_c and made a joke and he said "no only your conscious (being solely alone in consciousness) with none of the physical'-and i paused and we discussed it a minute> In guided meditation I have been there (briefly)-originally his idea created ambiguity for me- would such a state be nirvana or hell?? i continued thinking of it and then allowed for infinite concepts and the big bang- miraculous clarity presented itself- how long would consciousness exist in an emptiness- would it spark-could it spark?
 backcreek7
Msg: 386
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2019 6:10:12 PM
^^^ thank you for the complement Initia ~

... Seems there are an infinite amount of possibilities, for the creation / direction of life ... ( & I love to wonder about all those things ) ... Honestly, my mind sees not so much " consciousness " existing in emptiness, but a very important individual purpose in the ... " construction " of the solution, to the quest. This " individual " purpose might be something as simple as a gene , mutating into a form which can cure cancer. It might be something like > all of mankind learns how to love one another and work together.

... In other words, nature ( & everything ) connected to it has a specific goal. This being possibly miraculous, good / bad , miniscule / indifferent. But what it shares in common may be, that it culminates in a change of some sort.

In my op > there is definite reason for life & the comos > and an end result absolutely known . What that reason might be or turn into, your guess is as good as mine.

... So - I believe when we die, we don't transform into any kind of anything else, all traces of us have bit the dust ( col ) We've shot the load, made are play - did the best we could . And tried to live our lives morally ( if given the chance ) in the circumstances that history currently provided us . Morality to me, seems like a gift given those who temporarily are in an absolutely HUGE lucky point in creation / time. I don't think anyone has any idea WTF is really happening,throughout this " fishtank " called the our universe.

>But that doesn't stop me ( & us ) from wondering <

... So, to sum it up - I think the purpose of all life , is to reach a certain platform of societal & developmental intelligence. From this point, I feel we will be close to experiencing our true destiny. In this sense, all life forms have shared in the collective end result - although none of us existing / living forever ...

... Thank you all for listening, I do respect each and all opinions ...

heart / sun
 backcreek7
Msg: 387
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2019 6:49:11 PM

Hawkings was wrong about the non-existence of God

... ^^^ I do believe, that to be a correct assertion ~ in my humble opinion, that is ^^^ ...
... heart / evolution / sun
 platitude545
Msg: 388
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2019 7:05:02 AM
Since i am the op of this thread, i would mention that a healthy dose of skepticism is good too. I suggest reading dawkins, hitchens and Hawking on the creation of the universe. There is no heaven, no hell, no personal god. What there is, if anything, we don't know.

I take contrary opinions on here in the face of the jovans, franks and other know-it-alls.
 platitude545
Msg: 389
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2019 7:08:59 AM
Oh yes, an honorable mention goes to babbling funchesf...who left suddenly in the middle of this thread more than a year ago..very sad but still laughing about that one.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2019 5:11:02 PM
"There is no heaven, no hell, no personal god. What there is, if anything, we don't know."

Might be time to address your own "god complex".
 lnitia
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2019 5:29:21 PM
I have a personal faith and indeed it contains consciously creating with our miraculous brains all that is possible and with which I feel we were blessed -in the current climate, my concern is the divisive nature of the Powers(given by the people) that be. I believe any more division, added to the mix will just impede and muddy our ability to obtain success and peace as a species.

Therefore a debate refuting or supporting a divine entity is just more divisive/unnecessary> in the current atmosphere wastes precious time for humanities growth and critical change! Having faith wherever we may put it, can be our blessing or curse. Putting faith in Governments, corporations is no less dangerous or beneficial than any other faith. Indeed personal principles can guide for our benefit or our degradation- we choose! For Myself emptying my conscious is wherein creation occurs!
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 392
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2019 5:32:55 PM
kim... don't say that.
she will just deleting you again.
Carla prefers "THE POF GODS"

does being married to a lawyer mean she gets to act like one.
how about "running" these pages?
does she (mentally ill) have the right to defame this ENTIRE discussion board?
or control it?
can you quantify the hurt she inflicts here?

if she accidently set fire to her hair...
would you piss in her face?

could one go after a bar member for acting this way?
how about a florida judge's ex wife?
 platitude545
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2019 7:39:10 PM
^^^^million is not Kim....far too non-humerous of a personality for
kim. good try though.

Initia...there is nothing sacred about arguing the existence of God. Its not for everybody of course...but a fair topic for debate. Religion mlm in practice can be very devisive of course when practiced by extremists.
 lnitia
Msg: 394
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2019 5:54:54 PM
Platitude- Where do u see sacred?? I said basically worthless debate- it benefits no one...- debate the color of the sky that is fairs- of value?? that is my contention! No-one in these discussions of divine existence changes their mind or offers any new input, on the topic-it has all been said- maybe an elementary student would get new information- but adults???see above pissing on someone's head has been offered up! -A fair topic with some value_ actually a more beneficial topic, as a flaming head might be saved or one might learn NOT to set hair on fire another, who might throw gasoline instead . lol
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 395
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2019 6:00:06 PM
^True dat! Lol

One thing I can tell you, after dealing with a whole lotta death and dying....everyone gets their "Come to Jesus" or not... moment. :)

rednwhiterider
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2019 6:11:26 PM
does that mean you would piss on her face if her hair were on fire...
or no?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 397
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2019 6:24:25 PM
^Does a jellyfish sting on a leg count?

Don't judge.

It was Cancun and lots of tequila involved.

vvvv I know. I see you. But you have much to to learn. :)
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 398
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2019 6:41:09 PM
as an act of kindness...
I too would piss on her face.

but only for jellyfish.
accidental conflagration due to smoking crack
I refuse.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2019 10:29:26 PM

I think this is a reflection of human-social conditioning that, when conditioned, we find insulting in what I'm about to say. If there is a God or Gods, it doesn't mean there's an afterlife or an afterlife where you'd be ensured to find out. That comes from the Western fairy-tale books that we get conditioned by in how God will be.

The concept of a God or Gods something like it -- some superior entity behind the creation of this universe -- isn't a crazy notion. No more crazy than the universe coming into "existence" in and of itself with no "fire starter" (so what started this supreme universe creator entity?).

But IF there is something like a God/Gods, to this Universe where Earth is far from the center of it by any means, it Allows us to have peace & solace that "big brother" is looking after us, and we can have another existence after we die... maybe even tag a few virgins, shake Abe Lincoln's hand, see dead mom, etc. THAT is where the REAL attachment comes in.

Without that at all, some say "Well, then what the hell's the point of a God existing anyway?!" Well, it'd be great to definitively know -- even if It is no "big brother" craddling us in some fairy-tale after life. But many folks don't care about that -- they care about living forever, and seeing those who died again. Conditioning ensures that one will cling to said religion, as living Without that concept in mind, gives them no hope at all -- thus, having to cling to said religion if it starts to slip.
 platitude545
Msg: 400
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2019 7:10:12 AM
What you are essentially saying Norwegian is that we assume a personal god when if there is a god, he may be indifferent to man. Since there is no evidence of a personal God, you are of course correct.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Hawkings was wrong about the non-existence of God.