Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > SCAMMERS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kittens_smitten
Msg: 26
view profile
History
SCAMMERSPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I had one threaten to kill me for calling him out on it and saying he was with the mob.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 27
view profile
History
SCAMMERS
Posted: 9/17/2018 3:38:00 AM
There are plenty of those and they don't have about their country of origin behind fake photos. The type to which I refer lie straight to your face. They are the kind of scammers who complain about paying for dates, want to "go dutch," but want to borrow money from you or hold your shopping parcels at the mall.
 mtngirl2018
Msg: 28
view profile
History
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/3/2018 9:43:02 AM
The one thing that has given me a reason to pause on a number of men I've communicated with (not on the phone yet) is that a very large number claim to be widowed, each claims to be an "engineer" and they claim to be from a foreign country (I've had Japan, China Switzerland, etc) which is how they explain their not so great writing skills and "accent"

When asked why they are widowed so young I get some pretty weird stories -- for example "he story of my wife death is a long one but I'll try to make is short! She died from cracked skull, she damaged her skull due to an accident she was involved in and yrs later she passed but gave birth to an amazing daughter before she died."

I'm finding these types of interactions hard to believe. Anyone else have experiences like these?
 hemingway234
Msg: 29
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/4/2018 5:25:06 AM
Yes, there are tons of scammers on these dating sites. Qualify them quickly by going to the phone (voice, not text)........ and make sure they are local to you TODAY (not in Turkey this week taking care of dead dads' estate!). This will weed out 99.9 percent of them.

They used to ask for your email, but things have changed ........some will now text.
 mtngirl2018
Msg: 30
view profile
History
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/7/2018 7:11:01 AM
That was it! Two guys that I was giving the benefit of the doubt (inside I knew) ghosted as soon as I wanted to speak on the phone

Ladyinred0407
Msg: 31
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/7/2018 7:21:44 AM

claim to be widowed, each claims to be an "engineer" and they claim to be from a foreign country (I've had Japan, China Switzerland, etc) which is how they explain their not so great writing skills and "accent"

It is rather easy to exclude the majority of the above. Mail settings, use it.
I would have ignored these types, the delete button works well, AND I used the mail settings to my advantage.
 HUMHUMA
Msg: 32
view profile
History
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/9/2018 3:51:32 AM
LOL....for a while there were blatant females in the business and asked for personal emails which I never give but in saying that I think they have a handle on such thing now....took a while but don't see that many....lol
 Natey2
Msg: 33
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/23/2018 4:12:05 AM
They (women) are not "scammers" in the true sense of the word.
They are fairly attractive women in their late 20s and early 30s looking for FWB and older sugar daddy types.
They get you to communicate with them off POF to present details and will even discuss local hotel rooms, etc
They know the local landscape well, so they are not foreigners.
I suspect its a lucrative endeavor for them.

Male scammers (from what I hear) are out to get your money, via evoking sympathy of the women users.
 Carnival_Fishing
Msg: 34
view profile
History
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/23/2018 8:24:50 AM
I recently got an email from someone with a female name and the address it came from had .ru at the end.
Dos that mean I got an email from some female in Russia? I immediately deleted it, just like any other emails where I don't recognize the name of the sender. I have the same policy when it comes to someone knocking on my door. If I 'm not expecting someone, I don't answer the door, because it's bound to be someone who is after money or trying to convert me to their religion-which in essence, is also after money via church donations. There's no doubt, getting random emails from strangers claiming to have an interest in you will eventually lead to a request for money-usually via the pity story.
 hemingway234
Msg: 35
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/23/2018 8:44:04 AM
^^^^^^^^Just make sure you go to the door or window and wave to them so that they know somebody is in the house. If it's a robber, they could be checking to see if you are out so they can rob your place.
 cw35
Msg: 36
view profile
History
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/24/2018 5:35:58 PM
I think there's a ton and I also think POF must be making them because I get at least 5 emails from POF a day with fake profiles saying they're "interested".
 pickapartner
Msg: 37
SCAMMERS
Posted: 10/25/2018 2:45:06 AM
mr popularity :-)

and yes, must admit, like myself, write way too much for women to actually be interested in text written.

not forgetting pof is free (though i am a paying member for other reason) and like all the millions i have won or people wanting to donate 12.6 million pounds/dollars/rupee's to me on the internet, pimples will persist in trying to make a dollar or few out of this service before getting reported or caught.

one of those cases where ignoring them actually works
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > SCAMMERS