Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > You know you are getting OLD when...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cooldog65
Msg: 101
view profile
History
You know you are getting OLD when...Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

You know you are getting OLD when...

You're on the other side of the generation gap...
 hey_suze
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2018 10:21:28 PM
Mustang....
I noticed, and commented, “very funny”....maybe I’m not so old after all...😂
 purplerider1200
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2018 5:26:20 AM
Or when you understand what your parents were thinking when they talked about the generation gap.
 CBGB77
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2018 7:04:57 AM
Or you remember "the cold war".
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 105
You know you are getting SCOLD when...
Posted: 6/11/2018 10:25:10 AM
"I noticed, and commented"

>>>and I should have credited you for it, sorry :) Sharp eyes, sharp mind.

"I had an "old" moment last night at an outdoor concert....when someone handed me a joint....and I passed it to the next person without hitting it!!"

>>considering the potency of the new stuff...not a bad idea :)

"Remember the Cold War"

>>>a pity of history classes here, they barely get up to WWI, and certainly don't get to discuss the mistakes of the 1970's or the 1980's. Those who don't know economic history, are doomed to repeat it.
 from site to sight
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/11/2018 11:34:50 AM

Like the T shirt claims, we may be old, but we got to see the best bands live.

You know you're getting old when you go to see those bands on their 5th or 10th "Final Tour", and they look like mummies or zombies who have risen from the dead to perform because they're so old now, but you still remember them from their pictures on their album covers when they were in their 20's.

You know you're getting old when you remember watching Neil Armstrong taking the first step on the moon's surface.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2018 6:42:59 PM
Gee! You got up to WW1????

I was lucky to see anything past 1820. I remember my great-grandpa hating the roo-shins. Technically, anything I learned about history after 1820, I had to read about it myself. (Of course, there's the History Channel, and various other outlets)

If i reach waaay back, I remember my parents preping for the Cuban Missile crisis. At least I had a social studies teacher that took a week to explain to us about how communism worked.
 Seki1949
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2018 6:49:25 PM
^^^
There's not much history on The History Channel.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/11/2018 8:12:07 PM
"you got up to WW1?"

>>>yeah, and one of the nuns thought it would be right to skip from WW1 to Vietnam, since that was still relevant in the 1980's for those of us who's fathers had served, just before the semester ended. I was already reading the Time Life books on it in the library, but I figured she had the right idea--out of that time period, what encapsulated more than a Cold War proxy fight in Indochina and the Domino Theory?

I recognize there isn't enough time in a school year--even one with no snow days--to cover all of American history, but...there still should be some way to get around it. We'd repeat in high school what history was learned in grade school, except for that one nun who decided to advance us and take any criticism.

I will give the History Channel some credit, it does the history of cars and motorcycles :) But a focus on world history, Roman history, Persian, etc would be great--or i'm just a history nerd. I always wondered growing up, why people paid attenti0n to soap opera shows about Hotels and Dallas oil when early American history had a ton of soap opera drama and court intrigue that was actually real. You barely have to hype people like Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson or Hamilton.
 sun_water
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/12/2018 7:31:24 AM
When I'm talking to younger co-workers (probably born in 1990-1995 year range) that aren't old enough to remember life without cell phones or the internet.
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2018 9:52:16 PM
When your bucket list starts to
resemble a ph@$kit list!
 ssm508
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2018 6:17:53 AM
I recently got a brochure to join AARP even though I'm not in AARP's target age range yet. LOL.
 from site to sight
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/27/2018 8:29:53 AM
When you remember paying $500 for a VCR, and the debate was whether to get a Beta or VHS machine-which is better? And getting a life-long membership at a video store.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/27/2018 3:33:32 PM
Beta-max v. VCR was a perfect example of the lesson, "wait until the dust settles before gambling on who will be the winner", and I don't know what shorthand example millennials will use to make the same point in their lives. Meanwhile I go to flea market consignments, and you'd be staggered at how many booths try to sell Disney VCR tapes or music cassettes for .50 cents. They'd be better off shipping that crap to one of those companies that rent out movie props.

as for lifetime video store memberships, I still buy used DVDs of old TV shows, and I shouldn't bother, most of it's on YouTube (tho recently my computer goes into buffer mode when loading, darnit)
 from site to sight
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/27/2018 4:44:08 PM
And then VCR manufacturers all jumped on the bandwagon when Blue Ray came out, saying it's the way of the future for videos, because it provides much better picture quality. But it requires buying a machine that plays Blue Ray tapes, and many people didn't see a big difference to justify the added expense. Picture quality depended more on the quality of the TV more so than what format is being used. Blue Ray tapes are now relegated to mostly flea markets.

It's like when TV manufacturers all promoted big-ass TV's the size of a garage door, and saying watching movies and TV shows in a home theater set up in your house will be the wave of the future, and will be just like being in a movie theater. But then suddenly, everybody started watching videos on their cell phones. Watching something on a 3 or 4 inch screen was somehow better than watching it on a 60 or 70 inch screen.

I wonder how many millennial's will never set foot in a movie theater because the concept of watching a move that's not on a hand held device is too foreign and bazaar for them. As well as that, how many millennial's would be able to go to a movie theater and put their cell phones away? Are movie theaters going to go the same way as drive-in theaters?
 ohenryx
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2018 6:18:33 PM

from_site_to_sight
And then VCR manufacturers all jumped on the bandwagon when Blue Ray came out, saying it's the way of the future for videos, because it provides much better picture quality. But it requires buying a machine that plays Blue Ray tapes, and many people didn't see a big difference to justify the added expense. Picture quality depended more on the quality of the TV more so than what format is being used. Blue Ray tapes are now relegated to mostly flea markets.

Man, I seriously hope you were drinking, heavily, when you wrote the above. Because I damn sure can’t think of any other excuse for writing such tripe.

Where to start? It’s “blu-ray”, not Blue Ray. And it is an optical disk, not a tape. And there IS a big difference, a really big difference in picture quality.

And, oh yeah, movie theaters seem to be doing quite well, thank you.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2018 7:37:45 PM
VCR's came in VHS or Sony Beta. The designers of VHS didn't patent the format design where as Sony did and Sony lost out. Just like Microsoft developed DOS (later became windows) and Macintosh developed a closed format. windows won out.While the Mac still exists their operating system closely resembles Windows.The original Mac OS went by the way side long ago.
 MsMicki
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2018 9:28:58 PM

I wonder how many millennial's will never set foot in a movie theater because the concept of watching a move that's not on a hand held device is too foreign and bazaar for them. As well as that, how many millennial's would be able to go to a movie theater and put their cell phones away? Are movie theaters going to go the same way as drive-in theaters

Obviously a lot more than you realize....all the millennial's I work with go to the movies at least once a week....and now with the new $20 a month deal AMC has....they will be going even more!!
My great nephews...age 19 & 20...go at least once a week also...with a whole group of friends. Sometimes seeing the same movie a few times!
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2018 2:19:05 PM
The movie theater here in town is cheap enough...………...people drive over from Chicago.
 MsMicki
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2018 3:59:05 PM
You know you are getting old when.....
watching the guy swing around 40 feet in the air topping out your tree about gives you a panic attack!!

and you think....dayum....now who's going to clean up this mess!?
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/28/2018 5:52:30 PM
yeah, i'm still impressed with the new 3-D, so i'll see certain movies in it. But no Imax, just seems like they turn up the volume for that. As for swinger guys in trees, yeah, you know you're old when heights turn on your vertigo (which is neither a motorcycle nor a type of woman)
 MsMicki
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2018 6:00:17 PM
...and you get vertigo from watching someone else be up high! lol
 NewYorker58
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2018 6:28:28 PM
I'll tell you what I got from watching the guy cut down my neighbor's tall tree, and that was EXCITED and on FUEGO🔥 Men doing physical labor is a turn on!
 ohenryx
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2018 9:23:00 PM

MachIMustangII
yeah, i'm still impressed with the new 3-D, so i'll see certain movies in it. But no Imax, just seems like they turn up the volume for that

Man, you really should have seen Avatar in iMax 3D. Most awe inspiring, jaw dropping visuals I have ever seen. I went back to see it a total of 3 times. Hell, I would go see it again if they brought it back in iMax 3D.

iMax is bigger, just flat out BIG. Dunkirk (which was not 3D) was also awe inspiring, the best aerial footage I have ever seen. Ever.

And on an unrelated note, without looking for the last thread where I mentioned car shopping. I just brought home a new 2018 F150 Supercrew. I decided against a Mustang (obviously). I absolutely love this truck. 400 ft-lbs of torque from a twin turbo V6, maximum torque at 2750 rpm, and a 10 speed automatic. Fast. Quick. I love it.

Heck, what's the point of working well past standard retirement age if you don't use some of that money on new toys? Yes, I spend plenty on women, but there just aren't enough good looking women (at least not ones who will give me a shot), I always seem to have money left over at the end of the month.

Whatever, life is good, carry on.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/29/2018 4:42:34 AM
So far, I think Avatar and Gravity did the best with 3D. They best used the ability to show depth and size without exploiting it. Unfortunately I missed a chance to catch Dunkirk, and now you make me wonder what Saving Private Ryan could have been like. Congrats on the new truck--you live in Texas, its probably the best fit :) You are right about working past retirement, you make the $$, its your's to spend. my former boss used to say money existed to be spent. of course, he didn't add the word "wisely" b/c he figured it was understood. Not to be maudlin, but we can't take it with us and whatever kids we had should have learned to make their own.

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years."

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/07/14/life-years-count/
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > You know you are getting OLD when...