Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > What do you do for fun in your 30s and up?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 julystorm7
Msg: 26
What do you do for fun in your 30s and up?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I don't regret that decision for a minute. I was very close to my grandma.

As for having kids with a deadbeat...for all his many shortcomings, I will say that he did love his kids a lot. I'm actually surprised he moved so far away from them. Wouldn't have thought it. Yet I've observed a lot better guys walk away from their kids and I can't understand it. Dads who were completely there for the kids while in the relationship suddenly fade to black after a split.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What do you do for fun in your 30s and up?
Posted: 4/30/2018 5:43:39 PM
I'm so mean, saying to ditch granny😈 I just think about how people don't live near a relative that dies, and then goes back for the funeral. You were there for her all along, but of course I understand you would stay.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/30/2018 6:08:32 PM

You're right about making changes if youre in a tough spot. I had to. I was in a very tough spot. Dead end job. Debt no money to travel or enjoy life.

I made some tough changes and I didnt know if it would pay off. It wa a hard time. I went back to school using all my money and even borrowed some. Finished school after a couple years of no sleep a part time job and terrible girlfriend (which i ditched)

Graduated, got an awesome job which sends me to different countries, pays well, and gives me plenty of time off.
Some people though dont make changes to get out of a bad spot. I know a close friend who is like that and because he doesnt have the drive , he will never get out of his rough place in life.

Well these days even having a job is becoming more of a privilege than a right. I know even highly educated people who are having trouble finding meaningful employment. When I graduated university I couldn’t find a job, and nobody would hire me to do lesser skilled work because I was over-qualified. Quite often a person gets hired not because they’re the most qualified for the job, but because they know somebody. Everybody wants more money, and if it was that easy to get wealthier everybody would be doing it.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2018 6:14:56 PM
I've been seeing articles about how there aren't enough people in trades, while everyone is headed to college with no jobs or low paying jobs awaiting them, along with debt. I don't know why people go to college to be in fields that have low pay. Trade jobs like plumbers, electricians and carpenters are really good jobs. You can work independently and start your own business.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/30/2018 6:20:19 PM
^^^ Yes, especially women need to know this. I’ve never even seen a female plumber or electrician.
 basilisk123
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2018 6:24:38 PM
"I've been seeing articles about how there aren't enough people in trades, while everyone is headed to college with no jobs or low paying jobs awaiting them, along with debt. I don't know why people go to college to be in fields that have low pay. Trade jobs like plumbers, electricians and carpenters are really good jobs. You can work independently and start your own business."- NewYorker58

It depends on what you want to do. I was one of those making good money. I wasn't rich, but I was making really good money as a NDT tech in the Houston area. I was not being stimulated. I felt I was dying on the vine. I went back to college and make less money. I am finding I am more alive now than when I was making good money.
I want to be creative, and I couldn't do it working my life away in a refinery. Only half of college is the knowledge, the other half is to broaden your horizons by forcing you to do stuff you don't want to do.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2018 7:06:37 PM
Kiss, I haven't seen any personally, but I know they must be out there. I see the women doing carpentry on those shows like This Old House. I saw 2 ladies flip the house next door to me and do most of the remodeling themselves. They made over $100,000 from a few months of work.

Basil, carpentry is very creative. I did some carpentry jobs with my ex that's a carpenter. I enjoyed it and it was very rewarding. I made a lot of money on those jobs too. I did one big refinishing job myself and hired my next bf to work for me on it.
 Tech30
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2018 7:45:30 PM
People tend to go for their dream jobs, but when school is over they find there are no jobs in that field. You need to look at what is in demand and go for those jobs.

There are also jobs you didn't know existed that need to be filled and pay well.

My sister got into teaching, but years later is still looking for a permanent teaching job... I got a great career a month after graduating, and its not even exactly in my field.
 julystorm7
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/30/2018 10:23:54 PM
I have 7 years of university. I have a double degree, the first a Bachelor of Arts in Rural Development and the second a Bachelor of Human Ecology (Family Social Sciences major). Throughout university I worked as a residential support worker for people with intellectual disabilities, but after I graduated I failed to get a good job in either field I had studied so stuck with it. Eventually I got a job as a youth worker in an adolescent group home but the pay sucked so I ended up working in the local government-run nursing home as a continuing care assistant (I had to get a 1-year technical college certificate first) because the benefits were good, the hours many and the hourly wage much better than my previous jobs. Eventually I branched out into the home care services field and now work as a home health assistant for the health region. I like it but I sometimes think to myself all that schooling for naught. Do I regret going to university? No, I loved my experiences there. Would I have gone to college instead (in Canada, university is the equivalent to U.S. colleges and the word college refers to a technical school)? No, because I have zero interest in things like carpentry, mechanics, truck-driving, plumbing, etc. I'm of the opinion that universities need to start making their degrees more practical. The degree programs should be training you for a specific job including practical work experience.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/30/2018 10:33:57 PM
^^^ I took that continuing care assistant course and I was one of only a few males there. I thought the instructors were harder on me because they assumed that as a male, especially on the autistic spectrum, that I lacked empathy. There’s no proof women are better care givers than men.
 julystorm7
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/1/2018 7:37:26 AM
Academic degrees are pretty much useless where I live unless you have a degree in nursing, medicine, social work or education. The highest earners work for the health region or the potash mines or the railway or are farmers or electricians and other technical jobs. I wanted to be a teacher but I couldn't get in to the education degree program because of the quota system and my marks. I had only an 84 average in high school and you needed like a 91. Math always brought me down. Most.of the teachers I know make at least 60K a year plus they get summers off so it's a good job to have. Registered nurses make over $40 an hour but I wouldn't be able to pass the prerequisite math classes. In the future I would like to get my social work degree which I would only need a year and half of because I already have all the other 2 and a half years worth of courses because of my other degrees. I'm also considering my masters in counselling but it'd be hard to do with kids.

I have two brothers. My oldest brother has a Bachelor of Business Administration but after several low-paying jobs, he finally got in at the health region working at an office job that only actually requires a 1-year office education certificate. My baby brother on the other hand, got his Class 1 driver's license right after high school and by the age of 24 had his own trucking business with two trucks. So university does seem like a waste of money.
 MsMicki
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2018 1:18:42 PM
Back to the topic....

For me to be happy.....I have to have a project going! Currently I am putting a roof over my back deck, and my friends tend to come hang out and lend a hand.

I have created my own resort here....and my friends and I spend a lot of time swimming, grilling, hanging by a fire, and either listening to good music or playing good music. If we aren't hanging here....we are hanging at a campground where we can fish and chill.

Rarely will you catch us going to "the city" for events, but if we do, it is definitely music related.

I tend to surround myself with friends that are as chill as I am....so our "fun" tends to differ from others!!
 basilisk123
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 1:17:17 AM
"Basil, carpentry is very creative. I did some carpentry jobs with my ex that's a carpenter. I enjoyed it and it was very rewarding. I made a lot of money on those jobs too. I did one big refinishing job myself and hired my next bf to work for me on it. "-Newyorker58

Though that is an option, I feel it isn't the one for me. I had enough of working in the heat and humidity of Houston summers, and I never was any good with my hands. I am more likely to cut them off with a saw than anything else. I want to use my mind creatively. My art is shitty, but my writing is somewhat decent. I know I can't get any real money with those two, but doing those two things make me feel at least halfway fulfilled.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 1:59:10 AM
If you haven't taken a creative writing class, they're fun and interesting to take, and can tell you how to get published. There's a pretty big one happening in Seattle, but maybe a smaller group is more conducive to learning. After going to something like this, it motivates you to write.

https://theseattlewritingworkshop.com
 basilisk123
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 3:09:21 AM
Yeah, I have taken a creative writing class, and I did get published once already (It was the college newsletter, but it still counts lol!). I want to write for other websites and magazines, but it will have to wait till I finish my degree. Until then, I am working on poetry since it isn't so much of burden to do while studying for my classes. I am also part of a writing group on facebook that does competitions for gift cards and such. It is pretty fun, and I hope to win some when I have the time to put real effort into it.

I even made my first poetry friend. One of the girls in my pre-cal class is a poetry nerd, so she was ecstatic that someone was writing poetry besides her. She even stole my notebook off my desk and wrote her number in it.
She is basically helping me with my writing by giving advice.
She is pretty cool.
She is also recommending I do slam poetry, but the stage performance is extremely terrifying. I think I will stay with the written word for now. lol.

Thank you for the link. I will look into it.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 7:51:08 AM
Sniff, sniff, do I smell love in the air in your pre-cal class? Is she someone you're interested in? She could just be being friendly, but I sense more☺

I had attached the link, because I didn't know if you ever attended one, and to show you what they can typically cover. Sounds like you've got some irons in the fire for publishing.
 Tech30
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 8:18:29 AM
Oh, I also like to go on facebook and piss off feminists and vegans. Its immature, but it kills a bit of time
 basilisk123
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 12:49:35 PM
"Sniff, sniff, do I smell love in the air in your pre-cal class? Is she someone you're interested in? She could just be being friendly, but I sense more?

I had attached the link, because I didn't know if you ever attended one, and to show you what they can typically cover. Sounds like you've got some irons in the fire for publishing. "-Newyorker58

She is extremely attractive, and sweet, but she is only 17. While 17 is legal in my state, I think the age difference is too much. I already told her how old I am. I am basically old enough to be her father.
My friends are recommending I pursue her, but I don't think they understand that age does make a difference. At 17, she doesn't even know who she is yet. She is still exploring and finding out what she wants, and I think it best for her to do just that.

I don't think she has any romantic interests. She is not giving off any body language that would be typical if she had interest in me, so I believe she is just after friendship with a fellow poet. Which is perfectly fine.

I have not attended a writing workshop or convention yet. I plan to in the near future.
 siisaa
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/2/2018 1:11:02 PM
17....enough said. The age of consent here is 16 and just because it's legal doesn't mean it should be done.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 3:29:05 PM
Basil, yeah, agreed, it is a big difference in age.

Tech, wasn't your advice to not spend a lot of time on the internet, meanwhile you're trolling those groups?☺ Didn't you ever hear of live and let live? My only problem with vegetarians is when they want to make their dogs vegetarians, which is not species appropriate. I know plenty of vegetarians that don't do that. I rarely consume meat, but would never do that to my dog that I actually feed raw meat to. These vegan/vegetarians can be real @ssholes, but I wouldn't waste my time on them. They're never going to do the right thing.
 MsMicki
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 5:03:55 PM

They're never going to do the right thing.

Good Lord Woman....can you be any more condescending and judgmental??
I think I figured out what you do for fun.....

What is right for you .... doesn't mean it's right for everyone else....or their dog.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 5:44:15 PM
I can certainly see what you do for fun, trolling.

It's really very simple, if you're against eating meat, and don't want to feed it to your pet, don't get a pet that's a faculative carnivore. It's inhumane to get a dog and force it to eat your vegetarian diet. Btw, you sound really stupid with making that statement.
 MsMicki
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 6:15:00 PM
Both these articles are written by Veterinarians...

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/jcoates/2014/jan/can-dogs-stay-healthy-on-a-vegetarian-diet-31188

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/to-feed-or-not-to-feed-meat-one-vets-take-on-vegetarian-dog-diets

I understand for every article for....there are just as many against...but as you can see from both these articles....dogs can eat a Vegan diet
if done correctly.

From personal experience, my dog was having many issues, since slowly converting her , she at 14 years old is eating much better, digesting much better, getting around much better and has a healthier coat than she's had in years.

BTW...I am not Vegan... so don't think that's the reason!!
 Tech30
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2018 7:18:55 PM
Tech, wasn't your advice to not spend a lot of time on the internet, meanwhile you're trolling those groups?

I dont spend much time on it at all. If they post something, which they always do, I make a quick reply or two that always gets them riled up. Then i leave.

I know that people who get riled easily spend a lot of time online and always need to get the last word in.

I have better thigns to do but I'm happy knowing i angered some vegan lefty .
I'm a great guy, but i can be an a hole too . Accept me for me or dont, I dont care.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/3/2018 6:54:12 PM

It's really very simple, if you're against eating meat, and don't want to feed it to your pet, don't get a pet that's a faculative carnivore. It's inhumane to get a dog and force it to eat your vegetarian diet. Btw, you sound really stupid with making that statement.

If you ask me, if people are going to eat meat or feed it to their pets at least know how the conditions the animal was raised in. It’s natural to eat meat, but it’s not natural to keep animals pent up in inhumane conditions in which they can’t run around.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > What do you do for fun in your 30s and up?