Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Change of life      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 try1more
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Change of lifePage 8 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
hope your better than an instructor i had many years ago.
when i used deceleration to slow down (using the gears) he freaked out insisting it would wreck his gearbox.
then while driving up a road an oncoming car turned right aross my path, it was plenty far enough away so i just took my foot off.
next thing i knew i was wrapped round the steering wheel! the prat had stamped on the brakes!
i gave up n decided to stick to bikes, but at least i knew why there were so many idiots driving cars :-)

got a little gift sent to me that arrived today, was only told i had a delivery coming tuesday, it was a hot water bottle 2 feet 4 inches long in a wollen knitted sleeve, i notified the sender that i had just got something warm n soft to cuddle in bed at night, noting that sadly it was not very interactive but on the plus side it wouldn't answer back :-)

not received a reply back yet.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/7/2018 1:27:28 AM
That would have been many years ago. They teach brakes to slow, gears to go! So actually slowing down, you simply use the brakes until you are at the speed you want to be to negotiate the junction/roundabout/whatever, then select the gear you need for that speed.

Anonymous gift?
 try1more
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/7/2018 6:55:15 AM
"Anonymous gift?"

nothing romantic, so no need for jealousy :-)

granted brake tech has improved since then but you should still use gears to slow when appropriate, down a long incline for instance if you rely on your brakes you could experience fade, no fun.
do they teach cadence braking for such long hills? slippery surfaces?
in the case i mentioned i was going up hill (not a steep one) and just took my foot off the go pedal.
long time later when i had to get a car licence the woman instructor was brilliant!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/7/2018 7:37:08 AM
Yes they do teach those things still. But the emphasis is on being in the right gear beforehand, so you are expected to be in the right gear before the downhill.

It is teaching for the real world though I think there are some horse and cart hangovers still in there. So, reversing around left and right hand bends and three point turns are still taught but not tested. It is advised that a better solution to those problems is to use a roundabout or circular route. They also teach reversing up to a car parked on the right hand side of the road and pulling away again safely. That's more real world and one older drivers would shake their heads at.
 try1more
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/7/2018 9:35:23 AM
one thing that hacks me off is drivers including taxi drivers, that stop on the wrong side of the road at night leaving their dip beams on blinding everyone coming down the road! if yer facing the wrong way switch to side lights!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/8/2018 1:29:52 AM
Ha ha. I was in he pub the other day when woman came in asking if anyone owned a particular car. bloke eventually owned up to it being his. She said "well you've left your lights on". he said "I know, you have to leave your lights on when you park on the right, it's the law". She said it wasn't. He said to the rest of us, "it's the law, anyone got a copy of the highway code". Lol. Cue moi. "Well I've just passed my Instructors exams which covers that, any good to you?". etc

Exit harrumphing man stage right!

p.s. According to the Highway Code, there is only one time when you can park your car on the right after lighting up time and that is in a one way street. And you must have parking lights on when you park in a street with a speed limit > 30mph. And finally, I hate those taxi drivers too when they do that. They are supposed to be professional drivers!
 try1more
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/8/2018 7:35:24 AM
actually had he gone to court over it he would probably have got away with it since it was illuminated.
still a technical offense though.
the intent behind the law is mainly over the illumination and since parked cars have none, the rear red reflectors (required on the back but not legal on the front) illuminate when hit by oncoming cars headlights, which is the reason they are there.
one time the car accessory shops sold a double ended bullet thing to hang on your door with a red light one end and white the other with the claim you could park on the right if you used it provided you had the red light facing oncoming cars, remember them?

back in the mid 70's the police down here went round sticking tickets on cars parked facing the wrong way at night for being illegaly parked, a lot of night shift workers got caught out by that one.
including some i worked with on a trading estate, where unlike most trading estates the roads through were public not private oops!
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/8/2018 9:49:31 AM
An offence is an offence. But anyway, life has moved on. Headlights are vastly improved from the 70's - you can actually see things now and there's not the smogs about we had back then.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/8/2018 10:48:38 AM
Chapster.
Here's the story here. I would think the company running these courses are guilty of misleading folk. Would you want someone who has done a six week course to do your plumbing?

"We are constantly getting calls from people who have paid up to £8,000 for these mainly theoretical courses, who think they are a qualified plumber and want to register with us," says Paul Lippett, chief executive of the Joint Industry Board for Plumbing and Mechanical Engineering, which issues health and safety cards to plumbers. "It's very sad, but we have to tell them the City & Guilds technical certificates these courses provide do not entitle them to register as a plumber."

Kevin contacted OLCI, one of the UK's larger training providers, and in January this year a salesman from the firm's Livingston centre in West Lothian, visited him. "He told me I could easily earn £50,000 a year once I finished the course, and that I would get a City & Guilds 6129 certificate and NVQ level 2 at the end of it," he says. "Just to be sure, I phoned OLCI and it confirmed the qualifications I would get when I finished the course."

OLCI and similar companies are unable to offer complete NVQ courses, the industry standard in England and Wales, because these are work-based qualifications which can only be assessed once someone has a job.

Blane Judd, chief executive of the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering, says the qualification many fast-track courses provide is inadequate for anyone who wants to be a plumber. "The City & Guilds 6129 was never intended to be a standalone qualification," Judd says. "It is a technical certificate which assesses the academic component of plumbing only. The difference between this and an NVQ is like that between a doctor doing a few months' theoretical training and spending five years in a hospital."

But Kevin was impressed by the OLCI salesman and signed up for a course costing £5,621, which involved home study and 27 days in a training centre. His unemployed cousin, Ryan, signed up as well and, like Kevin, opted for a finance package arranged by OLCI which cost £7,000.

Although both received brochures stating the course "also helps you prepare for City & Guilds NVQ level 2 in plumbing", they say it was only once they received the first correspondence element of the programme that they wondered if it was all they'd expected.

"In the small print it said you don't in fact get an NVQ level 2 until you have found employment and been assessed at work," Kevin says. "Then I found out the NVQ level 2 does not even exist in Scotland."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/may/15/fast-track-plumbing-courses

I do not have my city and guilds. So to work on a building site i need a 'qualification'. A bit of paper. So my 46 years at the trade do not count.

But i CAN go on a two day course. £720 for a two day course.........

"Are you an experienced Painter and Decorator in need of a NVQ Level 2 in Painting and Decorating? Do you have more then five years experience working as a Painter and Decorator but possess no formal qualifications?

The Experienced Worker Practical Assessment could be the fastest and quickest route for you to achieve your NVQ Level 2 in Painting and Decorating.

Cost: £720 Inclusive of VAT, registration and certification.

Duration: 2 Days (8:00am – 5:00pm)

https://construction-training.com/courses/nvq-level-2-painting-decorating/
 try1more
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/8/2018 7:01:11 PM
educational courses and requirements are nothing but a scam supported by government!
designed to relieve you of your hard earned while creating jobs for the unemployed run by their friends.
basically thomas edison, nicola tesla and alexander graham bell would be barred from working with electricity unless they took a course at a worthless training centre for their required diploma (AKA worthless piece of paper)
carry on :-)
 vlad dracul
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/9/2018 1:00:09 AM
Chapster

Now here is a good scheme to help youngsters get on in life. It's double bubble. Giving youngsters something to aim for and instructors like your good self getting paid.

Win win as far as i can see.............

"West Dunbartonshire Council is offering young people to take up the Support to Drive scheme, part of Working4U, which offers funding for lessons and a practical driving test to people between 17 and 24 living in the area.

The initiative, which first launched in 2014, will primarily focus on helping young apprentices and young people who have required support from the care system.

A total of 52 young people paired up with local qualified instructors during the last session, with 20 passes to date and ongoing lessons.

Each participant can access up to 20 lessons funded by Working4U, and afterwards are assessed to see whether they would benefit from more.

The selection process for 2018-19 has been altered slightly so young people who would benefit most from gaining their driving license in relation to employability needs can access the programme.

Cllr Caroline McAllister, Vice-Convener of Housing and Communities, added:

“We have high levels of youth unemployment in West Dunbartonshire but we are doing all we can to try and address this and help break that cycle.”

Almost half of places will be offered to Modern Apprentices who, with a driving license, will be able to compete for a wider range of jobs in the Council area.

And as part of a commitment to support our young people who have needed help from the care system, 20 per cent of places on the scheme will be reserved for them.

Applicants who are unemployed with two or more barriers – including a disability, low skills, lack of qualifications, low confidence, and young carers – will also be prioritised.

All applications will be shortlisted and assessed. Successful candidates will be invited to complete a mock theory test and the top scoring 50 will be offered a place on the scheme.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16376302.west-dunbartonshire-young-people-offered-free-driving-lessons/
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/9/2018 4:19:12 AM
I would happily do that for one or two for free. I think the kids who have been through care homes would be the ones needing extra help. the prison and drug rate for them is horrendous.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/9/2018 4:52:58 AM
Think I might be well over due a total change of life...
 try1more
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/9/2018 12:35:20 PM
vlad and chappy

the greatest problem i can see behind what may be a well meaning idea, is employers are not likely to employ anyone without a year or perhaps it's more driving experience, due to the increased cost of insurance, and unless they can afford their own car where will they get it?
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/10/2018 2:09:31 AM
Agreed but someone has to start somewhere. I know a couple of people who have supported someone trying to help themselves to do something similar with help.

changemydestiny
Msg: 191
Change of life
Posted: 11/11/2018 2:17:32 AM
Hi
My apologies for late add to your thread. Why not try portering jobs at your local hospital? Just a thought
 kernowmade
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/11/2018 12:39:45 PM
start a Singles walking group, that's what I did, and there are now 3 groups. I handed over the leaderships a couple of years as I thought I had sold my house and would be moving away. The groups are still going strong. I charged per walk and event. Just a thought.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/12/2018 2:25:05 AM
Are you talking to me? I've already said I know WOW walkers through the singles group I run and have done for years, it is not an option I see as providing a good income. What does make money is leading tourists around Oxford, just study up on the knowledge and away you go. I'm not interested in that either but could be something useful for you?

My thread is about a change of life and the steps I have taken so far. I am about 5 months into my goal. The end of January should see me with a trainee licence and earning money. I'll still be training until I take the final test sometime before June next year.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 194
Change of life
Posted: 11/12/2018 9:01:01 AM
Scary to change course at this stage of the game but very adventurous of you. I really wish you so much good fortune with it Chap.
I’ve had a few radical career changes over the years when stuck in a bit of a rut but I always end up back in education. I like the holidays :)
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/13/2018 2:28:05 AM
I've wasted too much time already Roxy, need to get on with it and enjoy life more, which I am in fact achieving.

Met my friend's friend last night. She is married to a misery. A rich loaded misery. They never go out together for a meal or holiday. When she goes to visit their children and grandchildren in Australia once a year, he insists she pays for it from her OAP pension. She loves to dance. Highlight of her 2018 was coming out on a canal boat day trip with us. Last night was a cinema trip to see A Star is Born. Great film. Was he there? No, too stingy to spend £6 on a cinema ticket.

You get the idea. She's pushing 70 so I guess he is similar. She won't leave him. Their day is getting up, taking the dog for a walk, lunch (she has to prepare it), take the dog for a walk, dinner, dog walk (always same park) TV and bed (separate rooms).

Phew - rant over - you get the idea. I'm too aware I haven't a load of years left. I'm damned if I'm going to just sit around waiting
 kernowmade
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/13/2018 9:15:00 AM
Try sarting a singles walking and social group. That's what I did, it's been running for about 8 years now, and people have met partners although I have always stressed that it wasn't a dating site. I handed over the leadership a couple of years ago as I thought my house had sold, but it all fell through. There are now 2 groups running, Gloucesteshire and Oxfordshire. although it won't make you rich, But you will meet lots of single people.
 Wrightbus71
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/26/2018 11:11:58 AM
Well I finally decided a few weeks ago to pack all my self employed roles in and sell my involvement in the bus companies I had and retire extremely early...If Marcus is allowed to do it then so am I...

So as it stands now I don't have a car but can drive and I`m retired....no doubt I`ll be judged to death on here by the hundreds of thousands of women who view my profile....Young orangetiger was right many months ago...Its pretty low what folk who don't know you judge you on..if only they thought about messaging to enquire as to why I do what I do...
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/27/2018 2:06:36 AM
Good on you. I don't think we knew you had interests in bus companies, I just thought you were a grafter like the rest of us. Now what? I can't imagine you sitting on your hands all day?

Justanotherchap
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/28/2018 7:48:19 AM
News from me. Whilst it isn't sorted until the Fat Lady sings apparently, my instructor has agreed to support me in my application for a Trainee Instructor Licence from the end of January. Bang goes another few hundred quid to the government but onwards and onwards.
 Theydidnotfixit
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Change of life
Posted: 11/28/2018 8:00:35 AM
Congratulations chap !!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Change of life