Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > I am suicidal      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 26
I am suicidal Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
(Approximate rounded figures for peeps to argue over)
25% of peeps recover from depression without drugs.
50% of peeps remain on drugs for life or at least have recurrent bouts.
25% recover with drugs and have no further problems.
When testing drugs as you know a control group gets placebos.
Guess what?
For the majority of all drugs the group receiving the real McCoy have only 1 to 10% better outcomes than the placebo group.
I once read a book by a recovered peep with depression. He did extensive research into the recorded research into depression in regards to types.
He found that peeps with depression had altered brain activity and brain chemicals in different areas of the brain, and that the levels could be higher or lower than normal.
Research showed that different drugs had different affects on the various levels in the different areas.
In other words, one drug might redress the problem in one type of depression but have no affect else worsen other types of depression.
And I'm not talking about bipolar versus clinical versus seasonal etc.
Without checking back to the book, I'd be vagourising, but we're talking left frontal lobe, right frontal lobe, etc etc.
You'd think that depression is depression but where the imbalance is is the key
But your gp has no idea, and no time to know this, you often get first prescribed with seroxat, then if that's ineffective after 2 months, they might try prozac. It's usually a lottery whether you get the drug that corrects the imbalance you have.
Meanwhile, you may well be having CBT or other talking therapies, and people may be working to remove some of the stressors in your life for you.
So even without ever getting on the right drug, you slowly get better anyway.
And of course, on the wrong drug which upsets your brain chemistry even more, you get the Brain Fry that other posters have described.
It's criminal that seroxat got repeatedly prescribed to vulnerable young people even though there was a real danger of it leading to self harm and sucide.
Admittedly the patient leaflet does warn of the risk of suicide idealisation
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 27
view profile
History
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/8/2018 1:56:22 AM
Those figures are very suspect. They add up to 100% of depression sufferers and that can't be true as not everyone who has or had depression is recorded. So the premise you started out with is false and therefore the rest has to be disregarded.

I didn't have to do too much research to find this "Only one out of three people with depression ever seeks medical help. But with the right diagnosis and treatment, depression recovery is possible."
https://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/a-step-by-step-guide-to-depression-recovery.aspx
 Forrest Grump
Msg: 28
view profile
History
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/10/2018 3:26:23 PM
Hostess 68

How would you have responded to this thread from a poster that you don’t know or have never met?

I see no point of you getting all uppity with Mike in Msg 15. He is a new poster. There is nothing in your history (in this guise) to suggest your mental state.

Who is the ‘annoying American woman’ you mention in Msg 15?

Msg 26 acrosstheplains

I would have to agree with chap.

Where are these figures from?

It is difficult to put them in context in this discussion.
 Hostess68
Msg: 29
view profile
History
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/10/2018 5:08:22 PM
Q1. I would have said get yourself to bed and sleep. I would have said things seem better after a sunny day with friends who know you and they are who you should speak to. I would have said hey girl! This is a cry out. I understand that but you know you are stronger and this is just a weak moment. I am here if you want to chat.
Q2. I wasn't getting 'uppity' . I don't really understand this Q
Q3. There's this dude who stalks people on here just to undermine them and thinks he's God
I didn't agree with the statistics stated either but then I don't think anyone fits into the 'boxes' those of so called authority think we should. Get me started! Oh you don't want to do that...!
If you start me up!
If you start me up I'll never stop never stop never stop. You make a grown man etc x
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 30
view profile
History
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/12/2018 1:19:16 AM
You fire yourself up, we don't always agree but at least you're real. Hope you're feeling better.
 Hostess68
Msg: 31
view profile
History
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/12/2018 2:01:13 PM
Chap I aint fired up. Its a quote from a rolling stones song man ha ha
 10ky
Msg: 32
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/12/2018 6:53:01 PM
^^
LOL... cannae help it. xD
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 33
view profile
History
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/13/2018 1:14:50 AM
Yes and it sounds better now than it did in its day. I think. My Dad wouldn't allow a Stone record in the house. Even the Beatles were a bit much. But then he bought himself a guitar and thought he was one of them (trying to escape real life I guess). He was definitely two faced in many ways.
 SOLARA243
Msg: 34
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/13/2018 3:03:54 AM
Hi
Never make a permanent decision, about a temporary feeling. X
 10ky
Msg: 35
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/18/2018 1:37:12 AM
I'm suicidal too these days. Cannae get a chick to save me life.. thank god my mum got me an inflatable one for xmas. (mopes about)
 acrosstheplains
Msg: 36
I am suicidal
Posted: 6/18/2018 2:58:27 PM
P.S
How can an accurate survey include unknown quantities.....?
P.P.S I did say approx
 Paulineandzeus
Msg: 37
I am suicidal
Posted: 9/9/2018 2:41:49 PM
Aye.

Sometimes people do need a kind word. It can make all the difference.

Hope all is OK with you right now. And anyone else who is struggling. I've been battling some pretty tough stuff this last 6 months and..... nothing.

I have a friend who has suffered clinical depression most of her adult life and she works but she has to claim uc to get child and rent element. She's been suicidal a few times lately.

I've been that person picking up the pieces after a suicide. People often don't know how much people love them.

I was stunned at how many people turned up at my uncles funeral and how heartbroken some of them were

Some I had never met.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > I am suicidal