Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why do do many women have "body type = thin"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 26
view profile
History
why do do many women have body type = thinPage 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)

Everyone has their own definition of what each body type means. Not saying that one person's "thin" is another person's "obese" but one person's "average" is another person's "a few extra pounds" or "thin".

Well, I'll say that it isn't Quite that open to do so. There are some universal markers to go by, at least:

1. "A few extra pounds", what does that mean? A few extra -- not a lot, or close to a lot, but handful or maybe two -- more than "Average". It's based on "Average".

2. "Thin" -- this is pretty universal. This basically means not Notably athletic thin, just thin. One can't say "thin for this area", but actually Thin. The only leeway could be in a very separated age-group (average @19, thin @40 with same body volume & shape) -- but either way, NO weight to lose, and you could afford from a health perspective to put on a few pounds. But all in all, it's pretty universal -- not a 'taste'.

3. "BBW" -- this is based off "a few extra pounds", meaning, you're a lot more pounds than "Average". There should be an in-between of "A few Extra" and "BBW". Instead, we allow "A few Extra" to be "A few Extras", which is OK.

4. "Average" -- you're Not universally Thin. You don't have an athletic body type. But you don't have to lose many pounds to hit an ideal weight, and it wouldn't take an intense summer program to become Thin. This is the "neutral zone" that others are directly or indirectly based on.
 feirene
Msg: 27
view profile
History
why do do many women have body type = thin
Posted: 6/14/2018 3:02:30 PM
Just to complicate things the average size of a woman now is UK16, so now average is encroaching into BBW territory.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2018 4:07:43 PM
I got curious, and looked that up. Conclusion- take a tape measure or try it on.

Are they out to make women feel self conscious? Looks like it to me. From my past experiences with my ex, the bigger the number, the more surly she got. Just what I wanted to do- deal with a cranky woman. I'll take up bear hunting with a switch, instead.
 feirene
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2018 5:19:06 PM
Lol, and to confuse more...one guy who messaged me last week said he liked big women so i had to ask him how big (i'm not a size 16 even) and he said not too big but not skinny...i had no idea what he was on about. Figured he'd seen my arse anyway so had an idea i wasn't massive or skinny.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2018 8:27:07 PM
I got tired of the ex's griping about sizing. So to one town wide yard sale we went, with me and a cloth tape measure we went.

No wonder you gripe. Waist sizes all over the road for the same size jeans. It got absurd when I was measuring women's size 16 with a 34 inch waist, and women's size 14 with a 36 inch waist? If I used that kind of accurateness, in doing my job, I'd never work another day in my life. I concluded that inspector 36 must be blind. Or that they have a group that holds up women's pants, and guess at the size of them holding them up, then toss them into a box of the size they think they are.

Go with how they fit, and rip the size tag out after you buy them. Then you won't get upset by what size it says.
 sun_water
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/17/2018 8:56:07 AM
I think many people don't exactly match the body type options given on POF. When they are in between 2 different body types, they often "round down" to the smaller body type. One example is people that are more than "a few extra pounds". But not quite BBW or the male equivalent. Thus they put themselves as a "few extra pounds".
 ssm508
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2018 9:27:07 AM

I had a conversation about this with one of my female friends. Athletic was one of the examples that I used. She asked how I would describe her. I think of her as being average to very slightly overweight. She reminded me she can easily run 10 miles, does very well in volleyball and has been know to carry heavy camera equipment all day. She doesn't fit the mold for what many people consider athletic but she kind of is. She'd have to carry me for 9.75 miles of that 10 mile run.

Body type isn't necessarily based on physical activity though. There are men that are strong and could be good in some sports such as lineman in football. But I would still consider them to be overweight (sometimes borderline obese) because they clearly have excess body fat. As mentioned earlier though, the more important point is people should have relatively recent and accurate pictures of themselves.
 hemingway234
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2018 2:38:18 AM
Some of the really nice, HONEST women, the women you want to date (If you are smart), list themselves as a "a few extra pounds" when they are average. When they under-promise and over deliver, those are the ladies you want to seek out.

Your best bet is to go by the picture. You can usually tell if they are fat by their head shot, if you are experienced (If you are not experienced, you may be in for a world of hurt, lol!).

If they don't have good pics? - loose their profile and move on to the next. Too bad so sad!
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2018 12:34:23 AM
When I first registered on POF I read a comment by a lady that she was a BBW. From her picture she seemed "thick". I asked if BBW stood for Big Bodied Women. Lots of women corrected me! I was immediately informed that BBW means Big Beautiful Women.
 Tom├ísIasan
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2018 1:27:05 PM
Any women over the weight standards could pretty much be called one but they should be over size 14 to claim it.

Not that it matters women just put prefer not to say when they are so they don't get filtered out and that should not even be an option.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2018 1:34:33 PM
Now they have an SSBBW size.
 2ufo
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2018 9:20:18 AM
^^^^
My acronymeter just broke.
 whiterose0
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 12:23:28 AM

I have no problem with chubby women but say so up front - it won't scare me off.

Then you should follow your own advice. Being honest about one's body type applies equally to both sexes.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 3:38:57 AM
I don't look at wording for size, I look at pictures. I see many men are incorrect by what body type option they choose. Most are overweight enough to choose that option, but don't.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 4:36:58 PM
I'm not 100% certain that the INDIVIDUALS who demand that others be honest in their profiles are the very same INDIVDUALS who are liars in their own profiles. Do you have any scientific information to back this up?
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2018 9:20:59 PM

I don't look at wording for size, I look at pictures. I see many men are incorrect by what body type option they choose. Most are overweight enough to choose that option, but don't.

Both men and women, many times, post younger pictures and select a size range that is one size smaller than they truly are. Both genders do this and it seems acceptable for women (women are socially allowed to be selective) but men are looked down on because they are judging by "looks" instead of a woman's award winning personality.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 10:26:05 AM
Maybe so, Dave.
But don't forget that men have a much lower bar for looks than women:

Women are given ridiculously high standards for optimum weight (although it's MUCH harder for women to maintain weight than men).
Women have to deal with hair and make-up -- while men just have to be well groomed and clean.
Women have to co-ordinate 100 outfits with 1,000 pairs of shoes and jewelry. Men need 3 pairs of shoes -- dress, sandals, and nikes. And 2 pairs of pants -- jeans and dress. And 1 dress shirt and a few pull overs.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 11:53:09 AM
Dave, I don't think anyone should lie about anything, but at least with weight, you can see pics. As for using old pics, sometimes that's obvious by looking at clothes, hairstyles, that they look too young, etc. If a person suspected old pics, just ask the person for a timeline for them.

A pof guy I met looked to be using older pics, but I didn't care. If a person is of the same weight and general looks, its not a big deal to me.

If you meet a person that used old pics and they look much different, then I'd tell them they lied basically, and leave them where I found them, date over. A lot of people may have very old pics because they don't get contacted and never bothered to update them.
 cooldog65
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 12:11:28 PM

Women have to co-ordinate 100 outfits with 1,000 pairs of shoes and jewelry. Men need 3 pairs of shoes -- dress, sandals, and nikes. And 2 pairs of pants -- jeans and dress. And 1 dress shirt and a few pull overs.

What broad has 1000 pairs of shoes, but only 100 outfits?

I have more than:
3 pairs of shoes
2 pairs of pants
1 button up
A few pull overs

And I have jewelry since I have 6 piercings (3 in each ear). I also have neck chains and a couple of watches.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 12:22:27 PM

I'm a broad and that sounds like a lot of shoes and outfits.
I do know I have over 100 flower pins though.
Posted: 7/9/2018 1:03:54 PM

LOL I don't have 1000 pairs of shoes or 100 outfits. I don't even bother with jewelry unless necessary. I have about 3 pairs of steel toed stompin boots for work. 1000 pairs of shoes and 100 outfits plus all the accessories is just to exhausting. People make life so difficult, you have more pairs of shoes than I do.
 trinity818
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 2:12:27 PM

My acronymeter just broke.

Super Size BBW??
 BuretoDesu
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/9/2018 5:08:57 PM

I'm sure someone said it already, but ... why does anyone lie?
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 5:10:42 PM

Depends on what the man is looking for. There have been countless posts over the years where women complain that men are to picky. So one has to ask: which is it?

Women are given ridiculously high standards for optimum weight (although it's MUCH harder for women to maintain weight than men).

When young, yes.But when I was young women were just as picky if not more so: especially in high school and college. As men age most reasonable men take into account a (real) few extra pounds, A few wrinkles and silver hair. I know I do.

Women have to co-ordinate 100 outfits with 1,000 pairs of shoes and jewelry.

Imelda Marcos anyone? ! Sounds just a bit excessive to me: unless, of course, you're joking.

Men need 3 pairs of shoes -- dress, sandals, and nikes. And 2 pairs of pants -- jeans and dress. And 1 dress shirt and a few pull overs.

Of the men I've known throughout my life your quantities for jeans/slacks and shirts are quite low.
 ssm508
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 7:07:29 PM

Women have to deal with hair and make-up -- while men just have to be well groomed and clean.

Women that spend that much time and money on the clothes, hair, makeup etc are probably high maintenance and care about their own looks more than men do. BTW most men have way more than 1 nice dress shirt.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why do do many women have "body type = thin"