Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why do do many women have "body type = thin"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Coma_White
Msg: 126
view profile
History
why do do many women have body type = thinPage 6 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)

Lots of men at the gym with fat covering muscle, and those that only focus on how their biceps look. I consider athletic to mean you're fit enough to do very physical activities. Doesn't matter if the person carries extra weight. There's something to be said for stamina, something overweight people can have more than a lighter weight person.

It's pretty rare for an overweight person to have more stamina than a light weight person. The ultimate fighting league is a great example. The heavy weight fighters, although being elite athletes burn out quickly and move like sloths by the third round. Light weight fighters can do five rounds at full intensity. You can still be strong when you have fat covering your muscle, but you're far from your peak capability because you have to use a portion of your strength just to move your excess weight.
 whiterose0
Msg: 127
why do do many women have body type = thin
Posted: 8/11/2018 1:51:37 PM

Doesn't matter if the person carries extra weight. There's something to be said for stamina, something overweight people can have more than a lighter weight person.

It might not matter to you personally, but not everyone is going to agree with you. Some men and women don't find excess adipose tissue to be aesthetically appealing.

It won't matter to them how fit the person might be under the flab; they're still not going to find the person physically attractive. It is what it is.
 ssm508
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2018 2:35:53 PM

Lots of men at the gym with fat covering muscle, and those that only focus on how their biceps look. I consider athletic to mean you're fit enough to do very physical activities. Doesn't matter if the person carries extra weight. There's something to be said for stamina, something overweight people can have more than a lighter weight person.
Sure overweight people can have some stamina. But if that overweight person lost some excess body fat, his or her stamina would probably increase. I see that at my gym when someone that was overweight does lose some weight.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2018 3:51:40 PM
Whiterose, I don't mind a guy with extra weight. What I do like to see is muscle, even if a guy isn't his exact weight.

Coma, yeah, I'm familiar with boxing, and I know how being my correct weight makes me feel more agile - my fighting weight💪

Ssm, I backpack, so I know what it's like to move around with a lot of extra weight☺ My ex that was taller and stronger with more muscle than me could not keep up with me on the trail. When he was sucking wind, instead of saying to take a break or slow down, not wanting to appear weaker, he'd ask me to take a pic of something so he could catch his breath☺
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2018 5:23:23 AM

Posted By: winfieldbrian on 6/8/2018 11:07:09 AM
Subject: why do do many women have body type = thin
Message: when in reality they should put "average"? Or, since this is Texas, they really mean "a few extra pounds"? They demand honesty in the men they look for but don't offer it themselves. I have no problem with chubby women but say so up front - it won't scare me off.

'Thin' is a relative term. Compared to what? A runway model whose job is to be a clothes hanger for the latest fashion? Most of the people around them? How 'thin/heavy' they were last summer?

Nothing to do with dis/honesty---just one's own perception of one's own body. (and there seems to be a lot of body dysmorphia out there unfortunately)

If you don't like the way someone looks, keep moving---no reason to whine about definitions, or take strangers to task for their own assessments.

Good luck in your search for that person who thrills you!
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2018 7:51:44 AM
there are no set diameters to meet, nor any guidelines of any sort. where is the line between thin and average? It is somewhat relative, I have several bigger friends that consider me to be thin, yet the 20somethings think I am fat! many view thin as better so it makes sense that some would error towards thin. there are also those that very few would consider thin or average but still list themselves as such. I recall one of my dates with a 'thin' woman that only had a face pic. we decided to meet and see a movie, she had trouble squeezing into the seat! in that case, yes, she was dishonest. tossed in a group of random strangers of similar age, are you thinner than most, fatter than most or about average?
 sun_water
Msg: 132
Posted: 8/12/2018 8:21:41 AM

Nothing to do with dis/honesty---just one's own perception of one's own body. (and there seems to be a lot of body dysmorphia out there unfortunately)

There are men and women that put average or a few extra pounds when they clearly have a huge gut and are very overweight. In those cases, I think they are being dishonest or delusional. That being said, I do agree people should simply move on when they aren't physically attracted to another person.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2018 10:17:02 AM
msg#132:
There are men and women that put average or a few extra pounds when they clearly have a huge gut and are very overweight. In those cases, I think they are being dishonest or delusional

I could be wrong since I don't date guys from on-line sites (just here for the forums), but I suspect the ones who are morbidly obese and describe themselves as 'thin, average, a few over' are outliers---the exception, not the rule.
Though I suspect men are a lot more forgiving of their own few extra lbs, than a few extra lbs on a woman. Look at all the men parading around half naked on beaches, evidence of Dunlap's disease* free for all to see!

*My belly done lapped over my belt.
 ssm508
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2018 12:13:01 PM
^^^^^
I don't know if that is an outliner for men. But I have rarely seen obviously obese women describe themselves as thin or average. Obese women describing themselves as a "few extra pounds" or "curvy" is more common though.
 whiterose0
Msg: 135
why do do many people underestimate their body type
Posted: 8/12/2018 12:20:18 PM

If you don't like the way someone looks, keep moving---no reason to whine about definitions, or take strangers to task for their own assessments.

Weight is a hot button issue here just as "who pays" is. If we took that away, there wouldn't be anything left to talk about.

I could be wrong since I don't date guys from on-line sites (just here for the forums), but I suspect the ones who are morbidly obese and describe themselves as 'thin, average, a few over' are outliers---the exception, not the rule.
Though I suspect men are a lot more forgiving of their own few extra lbs, than a few extra lbs on a woman. Look at all the men parading around half naked on beaches, evidence of Dunlap's disease* free for all to see!

*My belly done lapped over my belt.

There ya go. LOL
 dark_n_juju
Msg: 136
Posted: 8/12/2018 3:41:12 PM

Weight is a hot button issue here just as "who pays" is. If we took that away, there wouldn't be anything left to talk about.

OH there are so many more subjects to talk about on here.
 Coma_White
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2018 5:39:56 PM

Absolutely. The biggest turn off for me ins't a woman having a few extra pounds, it's the terrible attitude some people have. A woman I'm good friends with wanted to start something up with me but she's put on over 100 pounds in the past few years and her attitude is like "I'll always be big, it's genetic, I'm big boned." It's unbelievable how unmotivated some people can be just to be healthy or fit their clothes.
 sun_water
Msg: 138
Posted: 8/13/2018 6:41:33 AM

I am not sure if they were exceptions because it was a relatively small sample size. But I would suspect what ssm said about women in msg 134 could be true for men as well. Except for obese men calling themselves "curvy". LOL.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2018 7:25:18 AM
Your pictures OP are so old they still have the POF "water stamp" on them. How truthful are you being with 8 year old pictures?
I opt for thin, because I am thin...but more importantly my pictures are all recent.
 Coma_White
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2018 9:25:28 AM

I am not sure if they were exceptions because it was a relatively small sample size. But I would suspect what ssm said about women in msg 134 could be true for men as well. Except for obese men calling themselves "curvy". LOL.

I don't get what's sexy about being curvy. A basketball has curves, one continuous curve.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2018 9:56:11 AM

I don't get what's sexy about being curvy. A basketball has curves, one continuous curve.

Curvy basically means shape. Curves are sexy -- rather than thin/no-shape. But obviously the term's misused for PC reasons, as curvy shouldn't imply fat. It Should just mean "I'm not thin, but my body's not 'average' -- I've got some curves to me." A gal with a slim waist, wide hips, and some meat on her chest and backside allows her to carry more weight without negative visual repercussions... but I think society's taken that a little too far to still place one as "Curvy". Of course, the same goes with "Average", and definitely "A little overweight". :)
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 142
Posted: 8/13/2018 1:58:19 PM
Coma, I think you must prefer,"fence post".
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2018 2:27:05 PM
^^^
Coma, I think you must prefer,"fence post".

+1

Kind of sad that 'curvy' is now a pejorative term.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2018 11:21:19 AM
It doesn't matter what you put for body type if you don't have a full length pic.
Nobody is going to believe you until they see you.

Heck, my profile is Hidden, and CLEARLY states that I am NOT looking.
But somehow, I get mails out of the blue from guys who demand to know "what am I HIDING"?

Demand to know if I am really "Fat".

Even accused me of hiding a crepey neck with my ring before I added new pic.

WTF difference does it make if I am NOT LOOKING?

Bottom line for EVERYBODY:

It doesn't matter what you put for body type if you don't have a full length pic.
Nobody is going to believe you until they see you.
Maybe even if you DO have a full length picture. Then they're going to wonder if the picture is OLD.
 siisaa
Msg: 145
Posted: 8/16/2018 11:47:38 AM

Curvy basically means shape. Curves are sexy -- rather than thin/no-shape. But obviously the term's misused for PC reasons, as curvy shouldn't imply fat. It Should just mean "I'm not thin, but my body's not 'average' -- I've got some curves to me." A gal with a slim waist, wide hips, and some meat on her chest and backside allows her to carry more weight without negative visual repercussions... but I think society's taken that a little too far to still place one as "Curvy". Of course, the same goes with "Average", and definitely "A little overweight". :)

Yes, curvy in the truest sense of the word is sexy, not the deluded version a lot of overweight women believe they are. I once had an ex tell me, "I like curves, not corners."

I had a girlfriend who was the definition of curvy. She had 34DDs, small waist, wide hips & an ass you could rest a shot glass on. On her OKC profile, however, she chose "average" as her body type. I asked her why she chose that instead of curvy. She replied that curvy has been synonymous with "fat" & she didn't want to hinder her chances at meeting someone, even though she had a full-bodied photo on her profile. Understandable. However, that's an online dating hang-up. Meet people IRL and you'll see their body (along w/ other traits that could increase or decrease their desirability such as personality, attitude & energy) for yourself. Less guesswork.
 cooldog65
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2018 11:54:26 AM

You can thank those that call themselves curvy when they're clearly fat. Sofia Vergara is curvy.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2018 12:41:39 PM
msg#146cooldog65:

Subject: why do do many people underestimate their body type

You can thank those that call themselves curvy when they're clearly fat. Sofia Vergara is curvy.

Clearly the selection of body type boxes one can tick is limited.
Wouldn't it be fun if instead there was an array of 'great works of art' featuring women's body types throughout history? From classical Greek and Roman statues (Venus de Milo types) to Ruben's almost blowsy voluptuous sensual women, to Vermeer's 'girl next door', to Manet's ballerinas, Picasso's angular goddesses, and so forth. Much more fun to decide 'which one' of them you most resemble than wrestle with the 'thin, ave, a few over, BBW' categories that essentially mean nothing.
(Smile)
 browneyesboo
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2018 1:26:03 PM
I think definitions of bodies are like a lot of things.
Definitions of good music, good art, great books, etc.
People have their own ideas of what they (wanna) look like.

I always see the same person when I look in the mirror.
I'm Cindy Crawford...always have been.
 Norasings
Msg: 149
Posted: 8/16/2018 4:01:18 PM
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm
2017 average size Americans
Men:
Height in inches: 69.2
Weight in pounds: 195.7
Waist circumference in inches: 40.0* (101.5 centimeters)
Women:
Height in inches: 63.7
Weight in pounds: 168.5
Waist circumference in inches: 38.1* (96.9 centimeters)*Unpublished figure. Derived from converting published figures listed in centimeters to inches.
 2ufo
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 10:31:30 AM
Clytemnestra...

Here's a book about dressing for various body types - based on artists renditions of women.

The Fine Art of Dressing: Make Yourself a Masterpiece by Dressing for Your Body TypeJan 1, 2000
by Margaux Tartarotti
In this practical but stylish guide to the art of dressing, author identifies the six main body types by the major artists who depicted them--Renoir, Picasso, Gauguin, Rubens, and Modigliani--and shows how to hang clothes on them, with style and panache. Original.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why do do many women have "body type = thin"