Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men lie to get a woman      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 julystorm22
Msg: 426
view profile
History
Why do men lie to get a womanPage 18 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
Most men want a certain level of what is stereotypically perceived to be femininity in women and most women want a certain level of what is stereotypically perceived as masculinity in men. In today's world, women have less stereotypical feminity and men have less stereotypical masculinity but the expectations do remain to a certain extent.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 427
Why do men lie to get a woman
Posted: 7/14/2018 11:19:03 AM
^^^ July, I have relatives in your province, so I know where you live people are still very conservative and sexist. Maybe how you have been raised influenced your way of thinking. As I said before, there’s no proof men are better at fixing things and women are better at cooking and cleaning. These are not masculine or feminine skills.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 428
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 11:19:45 AM

I can cook

Me too.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see "microwave instructions" on the side of a food package.
 from site to sight
Msg: 429
Posted: 7/14/2018 11:31:55 AM

A guy in coveralls is much more attractive than a guy in a suit to me.

If a doctor, lawyer, or a president of a company was to ask you out, would you turn them down because they aren't scuzzy looking enough? You could always ask them to roll around in mud or pour motor oil on themselves before taking you out. I guess Melania married Donald Trump because she mistook him for the handyman at Trump tower.
 TomásIasan
Msg: 430
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 12:13:13 PM
Here we go again with the most men want coming from a lady who thinks she speaks for men on wants and desires of them. You show me one male who wants his lady all done up looking like she is heading out to fashion show every damn day I will show you liar.

Fact is we don't care how you dress we never did except on rare occasions we want to see the real you not some bs image looking good to get someone give me a break. Sweatpants, t-shirt, messy hair no makeup cause that is what we are really going to see every day not a lady waking up poof covered in junk.

We want to see the real woman not the lying image they are presenting but spew those men lie like they don't really. You cover your face with crap hiding the face and faults underneath were going to see it eventually how bad can it be. I know how bad it can really be so let me see you not wearing it.
 MsMicki
Msg: 431
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 12:34:58 PM
I probably know as much about construction, wood working, dry walling, plastering, plumbing, landscaping...as most men.
But it is nice to have a helping hand!!

I like a man that is willing to get dirty....
but cleans up nice when needed.
Basically....me...as a man!! LOL
 from site to sight
Msg: 432
Posted: 7/14/2018 1:27:49 PM

We want to see the real woman not the lying image they are presenting but spew those men lie like they don't really. You cover your face with crap hiding the face and faults underneath were going to see it eventually how bad can it be. I know how bad it can really be so let me see you not wearing it.

What I've been told, by at least a couple of women, is the reason women get all dolled up whenever they're going out, is to impress other women-not just the man they're with. It's like a competition to see who can look the most glamorous. That's why you won't see a public place where there's a mixture of women wearing sweatpants and tee shirts, along with women who are all dolled up like they're going to a royal wedding.
 julystorm22
Msg: 433
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 2:17:20 PM
Maybe we haven't been living on the same planet.

I've always been a tomboy. Jeans, t-shirt. Never put much effort into my hair other than washing it and brushing it. Into sports, playing and watching. I love the outdoors. And when I was younger ai was thinner and I think prettier. Yet all through my adolescence and adulthood I'd watch as dolled up girls got the guy. Always had plenty of guys as friends but constantly got overlooked. Except when my girl friends would talk me into dolling up and did my hair and makeup and got me to wear a dress. Then guys would notice me. But I always felt so artificial, not myself, looking like that. I wanted someone who liked me for me which never happened.

I call bullshit on what you are saying. Men like it when girls do their hair and makeup up nice and wear a pretty dress. Let's say there's a set of identical twins standing side by side. One has sweats on and a plain ponytail, no makeup and runners and the other has a nice little black dress and wavy hair and makeup with heels. I call complete bullshit on who you'd want to be with more.
 2ufo
Msg: 434
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 2:32:46 PM
I think the reason men may seem to prefer a woman who is all made up is that he recognizes (or rationalizes if women just dress up to impress other women) that she is dolling up for his benefit.
Doing something for someone else usually makes them feel special.

I used to be a tomboy as well as an introvert who also felt artificial when dressing up. Most of that, I believe, could be those years are when we are trying to determine who we are, creating ourselves. Any step outside the box of our self-expectations is uncomfortable. The only thing that makes it comfortable is practice.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 435
Posted: 7/14/2018 2:37:47 PM
I wouldn’t date a woman that I found unattractive when she wasn’t all dolled up. That’s how I’m going to be seeing her most of the time. I don’t care for too much makeup, hairspray, and hair colouring - it’s unnatural.
 2ufo
Msg: 436
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 2:50:04 PM
Most men say they prefer a more natural look.

You would be surprised at all the makeup that translates to 'invisible' or 'unnoticeable'.
 MsMicki
Msg: 437
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 3:15:53 PM

I call bullshit on what you are saying. Men like it when girls do their hair and makeup up nice and wear a pretty dress. Let's say there's a set of identical twins standing side by side. One has sweats on and a plain ponytail, no makeup and runners and the other has a nice little black dress and wavy hair and makeup with heels. I call complete bullshit on who you'd want to be with more.

well there is a huge difference between looking like a slob in sweat pants and just having on a pair of jeans and tshirt....
One doesn't have to put on makeup and a dress to look "girly"...or to impress a man.
a nice pair of jeans hugging that ass with a cute summer top, sandels on the feet and hair in a ponytail will attract plenty of male attention...
 purplerider1200
Msg: 438
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 3:20:28 PM

I call bullshit on what you are saying. Men like it when girls do their hair and makeup up nice and wear a pretty dress. Let's say there's a set of identical twins standing side by side. One has sweats on and a plain ponytail, no makeup and runners and the other has a nice little black dress and wavy hair and makeup with heels. I call complete bullshit on who you'd want to be with more

I agree with you. A girlfriend of my ex's always looked natural. One day I got called over to her place, to unclog a drain. She was sick at the time, no makeup. She looked somewhat different. Yes, she did look better with, and did wear it most of the time.

When you stated "Most men", you didn't consult me. You may have first crack at any woman that looks like the dog's dinner.
 TomásIasan
Msg: 439
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 5:09:01 PM

Let's say there's a set of identical twins standing side by side. One has sweats on and a plain ponytail, no makeup and runners and the other has a nice little black dress and wavy hair and makeup with heels. I call complete bullshit on who you'd want to be with more

You have a bachelors degree in what exactly? Not doubting you but your really need to re-think that question.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 440
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 5:31:32 PM

Most men want a certain level of what is stereotypically perceived to be femininity in women and most women want a certain level of what is stereotypically perceived as masculinity in men. In today's world, women have less stereotypical feminity and men have less stereotypical masculinity but the expectations do remain to a certain extent.

The interesting question is, Why?
 julystorm22
Msg: 441
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 5:57:02 PM
Well, it you look for psychological reasons, for men, femininity does appear like weakness and for many men, really feminine women are ideal because they have an aura of weakness to them that translates to needing a man more for security and safety. All human beings need to feel needed. Women who are less feminine tend to need men less. Relationships thrive when both individuals can bring different skills to the table.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 442
Posted: 7/14/2018 6:54:55 PM

Women who are less feminine tend to need men less.

I don’t think so. Women are mothers, so femininity has a lot to do with nurturing. Nurturing is taking care of other people. Women also provide security to their children and to a man. A woman can be independent and be feminine at the same time.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 443
Posted: 7/14/2018 7:19:30 PM
When a fellow admires a young lady's wonderfully curved ass....I don't think he's doing so b/c it makes her a better mother, or financially stable, or he thinks she's weaker...:)

When you feel a passion for any thing, you have a desire for it. you'll even blind your own self to its shortcomings...esp. if there is some easy path to acquiring it, like paying or lying. Until then, we engage in that creepy behavior known as "staring too long".
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 444
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2018 7:47:39 PM

A guy in coveralls is much more attractive than a guy in a suit to me.
If a doctor, lawyer, or a president of a company was to ask you out, would you turn them down because they aren't scuzzy looking enough? You could always ask them to roll around in mud or pour motor oil on themselves before taking you out. I guess Melania married Donald Trump because she mistook him for the handyman at Trump tower.

I wear coveralls. And they're nice. Nice looking. Since when were coveralls scuzzy? And where did all this motoroil come from?? What the hell you talking bout?

Most men say they prefer a more natural look.

You would be surprised at all the makeup that translates to 'invisible' or 'unnoticeable'.

No, you'd be surprised how many of us aren't surprised...

...this is an example of a weasel argument. If you use makeup in such a way that you're fooling the man into believing it's natural, that only means that you're good at creating the illusion...at lying. And most importantly, look at what you're making him believe that it is - natural. He's in love with the natural look. This proves that he prefers the natural look. Just because you fake it and lie to him, and he believes the lie...only demonstrates your talent for dishonesty, but says nothing against wanting that natural look. In fact it proves it.

Let's say there's a set of identical twins standing side by side. One has sweats on and a plain ponytail, no makeup and runners and the other has a nice little black dress and wavy hair and makeup with heels. I call complete bullshit on who you'd want to be with more

See...this kind of question doesn't help directly in arriving at something, but it shows the way the person forming the question thinks; It reveals that there are still people out there so handicapped in their perceptions.

"One has sweats on and a plain ponytail, no makeup and runners"

You can already see the erroneous thinking coming.

"and the other has a nice little black dress and wavy hair and makeup with heels"

These images just have way too much implicatively attached to them that might not be valid or applicable. But here's the most important part:

"I call complete bullshit on who you'd want to be with more"

I always feel like a sucker when explaining what I'm about to explain. As if this is all a put-on...do I really have to? Ok, here you go -

Foremost here is the idea that the appearance of each twin is what matters. As if there's nothing else to it...deal is done...etc. I see these two twins next to each other and I might look at the "dressed up" one...I'll look at a shiny car going by just because it's there, but that's it; Doesn't mean that I want it. In fact, when it comes to cars, I might be really skeptical as to how well it's designed...thinking they're trying to sell it based on good-looks versus being worth a shit. Can a sharp-looking car be good in it's design...can a dressed-up woman be worth a shit...of course. Yes. (And conversely, do I want my quality woman to look sexy? Yes.) But why am I going to assume some level of quality or experience some level of desire so quickly and in such a shallow way? I won't. Someone can call bullshit...ok, remain dumb about other people if you want - not gonna change how I operate.

Then you have the fact that I might think that the dressed-up twin is just trying to communicate that she's available and looking...the other might not be "on the market", not unattractive, but just doesn't want to be bothered...so I might consider the dressed-up twin. Some would call this manners.

But then...the twin who isn't dressed-up just might happen to not be dressed-up at the moment, but be just as interested in finding a boyfriend as her sister...

...which leads to my biggest point personally. I'll notice the dressed-up girl, but I'll also notice the other one. Put all the stock you want into the effects of being dressed-up...but I'm considering the other one just as much. And I do mean exactly as much. I'm looking for cues that certain traits might exist, and not disregarding her just because she isn't all-dolled-up-and-shit at that moment. That's fucking stupid.

And exactly how is the one dressed-up? Exactly how does the other look in her sweats? What is a "plain" pony tail? Pony tails are sexy. Runners? Jesus fuck...the dressed-up one has something over her sister because of runners? RUNNERS?? And then...drumroll...no makeup. Someone will insist on calling bullshit, but I'm already looking more at the no-makup sister. Definitely. Don't mean I'll think she's better looking...I'll have to look and see. But it does mean that I don't think that the makeup is better looking. In fact, with that makeup, I won't be able to tell so I'll lose interest. Wipe that shit off and let me see who you are woman. Stop being a little girl and be a woman - take that shit off.

...what's ass-backwards about this is that while this might be presented as a shallow way of operating, someone who just insists on believing that everyone operates like this...that they'd automatically want the dressed-up sister over the other one but "just won't admit it"...this shows that the person who insists that people must operate this way is in fact being shallow about it themselves.

Well, it you look for psychological reasons, for men, femininity does appear like weakness and for many men, really feminine women are ideal because they have an aura of weakness to them that translates to needing a man more for security and safety. All human beings need to feel needed. Women who are less feminine tend to need men less. Relationships thrive when both individuals can bring different skills to the table.

Eeww. After 30 or 40 years of adult living, I still wish that people would stop defining femininity as being weak. That was so cringy back then, and still is. The perception that weakness is a necessary definitive of femininity is one of the things which messes up discussions on such things because it messes up people's understanding of those things. We need weakness for that aura of femininity? Eeww. No we don't.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 445
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2018 4:48:00 AM
Femininity isn't weak by a long shot.

If women are willing to put up with tons of cracks about being frail, girly, frilly, or weak, and still do it, I'd say that shows a strength that very few feminists will ever understand.

( And chances are, she'll have some man at her side to defend that stance)
 BLONDE_ANGEL_1
Msg: 446
Posted: 7/15/2018 5:07:30 AM

Femininity isn't weak by a long shot.

If women are willing to put up with tons of cracks about being frail, girly, frilly, or weak, and still do it, I'd say that shows a strength that very few feminists will ever understand.

( And chances are, she'll have some man at her side to defend that stance)

I would add or edit to July's post, in stead of weak, she is OPEN TO MAN'S STRENGTH/ATTRIBUTES.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 447
Posted: 7/15/2018 5:59:27 AM
Happy Sunday mornin' from London, (LOL Kentucky)

I truly do inwardly groan when I ………………...Well anyway.

When I wear a dress with highheels, beforehand I shower, wash my hair, legs shaved, under arms shaved, ……….the usual.
Afterwards, body lotion, (Japanese Cherry Blossom) facial moisturizer, eye cream. a little liner with mascara, hair dried and styled, put the clothes on, earrings and bracelets...………...the usual

When I wear jeans, a Harley shirt, biker boots, beforehand I shower. ...……………..the usual.
Afterwards, body lotion,...……………….the usual.

My point? Regardless of what I'm wearing, where I'm going, what I do,...............I AM feminine, from the inside! It's mind over matter. Who I am, how I interact with others, men and women, reveals my strengths...……...AND my softer, (NOT WEAKER) characteristics.
I am a Woman first, AND a mother. I can be strong and soft, in the same skin.

I suspect, (actually I'm pretty damn sure)there are many other woman very much like me, here and elsewhere.
Have a good day, ladies and gents. We're off again riding south
 2ufo
Msg: 448
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2018 6:52:31 AM

Women who are less feminine tend to need men less.

I think you are confused about the words 'need' and 'want'.

I also think you are confused about what femininity is.
Every trait cited as feminine (sensitivity, caring, nurturing) can also be attributed to men (respectful, empathetic, fatherly). Both males and females exhibit traits that people define as either masculine or feminine (courage or passion or discipline).

Now, back to less feminine women needing men less.
What people need are relationships - not necessarily sexual ones either and not necessarily from a person of the opposide sex (or gender).

Women who get pregnant need a lot of help -- children are labor intensive. That doesn't mean that the best help comes from a man (or a government entity or a parent). It means that children take a lot of work above and beyond caring for oneself. This doesn't mean that women can't manage if they don't get the help from somewhere/someone -- but it does mean that if there is no or minimal assistance then the woman gives out of her own reserves. Usually energy and money... when my ex proved ineffectual as a stay-at-home parent (putting our child in direct danger), I used over half my salary to pay for a nanny while I worked.

If you perceive 'femininity' as a weakness, then you need to look to yourself to understand why.

I would add or edit to July's post, in stead of weak, she is OPEN TO MAN'S STRENGTH/ATTRIBUTES.

I think, when considering a partnership (of any kind - friendship, lover, contractual) then you need to be open to the strengths and weaknesses of the other party. And yourself.

LIR - enjoy the south. I'm heading up the mountains of Colorado tomorrow! Except I'll be in my SUV.
 ssm508
Msg: 449
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2018 8:12:40 AM

Men like it when girls do their hair and makeup up nice and wear a pretty dress. Let's say there's a set of identical twins standing side by side. One has sweats on and a plain ponytail, no makeup and runners and the other has a nice little black dress and wavy hair and makeup with heels. I call complete bullshit on who you'd want to be with more.
That's an extreme example. I don't think anyone is saying a woman should put no effort in their appearance. A woman that is wearing a nice pair of jeans with a casual sweater or button down shirt can look very good as well. Some makeup is fine. I don't necessarily think wearing a lot of makeup makes a woman look more attractive.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 450
Posted: 7/15/2018 8:58:18 AM
You know that one where you pop the supermarket for milk, pjs on with that just woke up look....gunk in yer eyes, drool trail on yer chin, bed hair.....and voilà.....you bump into someone, quick exchange and spark.
I’ve only to brush my hair now and the guy thinks I’m stunning lol
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do men lie to get a woman