Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > POF SHUT DOWN THESE BOARDS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NewYorker58
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Mr Gorbachev, Tear down these broadsPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I don't have a problem with work visas. It's an entirely different issue than illegal aliens flooding the country.

I happen to grow produce & herbs, always have. My father did also. We did a lot of canning when I was growing up. I know a lot of people back east that grow produce, then store it for the winter. My cousin has orchards and makes jams & jellies and also sells them.

Caucasian people work in fields, but not that many. Caucasians picked cotton too.
 Mr_J_Cash
Msg: 77
30 DAYS IN THE HOLE
Posted: 6/29/2018 3:26:11 AM

”…… I'm going to be and very busy over the next three to four weeks and so likely will not be posting or posting very really. But I hope to be back.”

A visit to crowbar hotel???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXjm8pZMws
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 78
view profile
History
30 DAYS IN THE HOLE
Posted: 6/30/2018 11:52:56 AM
Ms. Renolds is one sick puppy.
Even her sons wish her well.
 trotaza
Msg: 79
30 DAYS IN THE HOLE
Posted: 7/3/2018 3:26:30 PM
Wow, I just had to pop in, one time, to say this board has become very vanilla. With the religion mockers and haters gone, the decimation of those on the right, the cruel people not posting (even though cotter popped in for a moment), the crazies silenced, things have really quieted down here in a very short time. But is the board still interesting? Be careful what you wish for.
 Sandbyday
Msg: 80
30 DAYS IN THE HOLE
Posted: 7/7/2018 11:23:17 PM
Hahahahaha.

Cotter still lurking there. And about a thread started 12 years ago no less.

And in a forum that is no longer assessable.

Hahahahaha. That’s why we love this place.

Lmfao.
 Sandbyday
Msg: 81
30 DAYS IN THE HOLE
Posted: 7/7/2018 11:39:21 PM

things have really quieted down here in a very short time.

Ha. Just wait until after the next election. And the next.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Mr Gorbachev, Tear down these broads
Posted: 7/8/2018 9:53:24 AM
NYer58 msg 76:
Caucasian people work in fields, but not that many. Caucasians picked cotton too.

Any Midwesterners here ever do 'corn detasseling' when they were kids?
Legal age of employment for doing farm work was 14, rather than the 16 for 'regular ' jobs.
Lots of us remember getting up with the sun, packing a lunch and boarding a bus which would drop us off on a dirt road next to a giant cornfield. For three weeks under the summer heat and humidity, we'd toil in the fields, some on the detasseling machine, some on the ground, removing the tassel (male flower) from the corn plant so it would not pollinate itself. (necessary to grow hybrid seed corn).

Grueling work, gnats, mosquitos, early morning dew that soaked your pants to the knees. Ugh. But better money than babysitting or mowing lawns---some of us only lasted a day, some a week, some hardy souls stuck out the whole thing~

A right of passage where I come from...bragging rights even if you only lasted a day!
Good times~
 mootaza
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/9/2018 8:22:32 PM
Where is my old friend? Gollum wants to know? Busy behind the scenes terminating profiles..her standard MO. No kvetching about religion, circumcision, anti-abortion, jesus born against? What is happening to this board.? Are people posting reverting to decency? Very sad. Now if only the devils would allow the right to post.. :-(
 NewYorker58
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2018 12:20:35 AM
Ata, be careful what you wish for. Well, there are still a lot of cranky people here to enjoy☺

Clytemnestra, I know a few people that did farm work. My ex did that and also worked in a humongous nursery in PA as a kid. He killed a ton of plants by accident and got fired, but there's always someplace else a parent can send their children to do field work.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/10/2018 7:52:09 AM
The only corn work I did was on our own, pulling as much silk as possible out of what we grew before steaming it for dinner (which kept the kernels from soaking up water when you boil the ears, just as with lobsters). However, my home state did have tobacco fields up by the north border, growing leaf wrappers for Cuba before Castro. One fellow not only paid for college, he would buy a local car, get friends from the fields to chip in, and drive them all home a few states away. Any repairs needed got done by the friends b/c they learned from farm hands, and by the time they got home, the highway miles had burned out the carbon so he could sell the car, running better than when he bought it :)

all I learned was, work in the fields really early or really late, b/c in the sun you were tired enough to sleep but too burned to be comfortable on any sheets.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2018 10:01:22 PM
Mustang, I microwave corn. In the husk, 130 seconds, rotate and do another 130 seconds. Cut off the end, and squeeze the corn out. It comes out without the silk part on the corn.

MachIMustangII
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/11/2018 11:47:16 AM
i'll have to remember that if I ever go back to growing corn, thank you. now if I can find a way to keep the kernels out of my teeth :)
 NewYorker58
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Corn - yellow or white?
Posted: 7/11/2018 2:23:20 PM
You can try that with corn you buy. Are you tired of corn from growing it? My ex told a funny story about how people would come up from the city and pull along the roadside to pick corn from someone's field, but what they got was not sweet corn but was cattle corn. He said that farmers would plants rows of cattle corn along the roadside and the sweet corn that people eat would be planted further in, so it was a big surprise when people cook the cattle corn and found it to be highly distasteful☺ Farmers getting over on city slickers☺

Toothpicks and/or flossing is all you can do☺ Sweet corn is with it.
Posted: 7/11/2018 2:41:42 PM

I microwave corn. In the husk, 130 seconds, rotate and do another 130 seconds

Im not much of a cook but this sounds like something I should try. this is probably a stupid question but do I put water or anything on the husk or just toss it in the microwave?
 NewYorker58
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2018 3:25:00 PM
No water. Just microwave with silk and outer leaves attached, intact, and closed. I just put 2 pics on my page for how to cut the end, and remove the corn. If you don't cut enough of the bottom off, its not gonna release the leaves fully and the silk threads. You can do more than 1 cob at a time, it's just gonna take longer. I haven't done that in a while, and don't have the numbers in my head for the timing.
Posted: 7/11/2018 3:44:42 PM
^^^ Thanks, NewYorker.
 tarnaza
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/11/2018 9:38:48 PM
I love fresh corn on the cob. Reminds me of visiting farms as a child. Milking cows, eating fresh corn
The best.
 tarnaza
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/11/2018 9:39:24 PM
To my nemesis.....I'm back.....lol.
 tarnaza
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/11/2018 9:41:08 PM
By the way nemesis...my city in my profile....I thought of you when I typed it. :-)

maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.

B.S
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 95
Corn - yellow or white?
Posted: 7/12/2018 3:11:22 AM
I can believe the corn story. The last year for corn was when the damn raccoons hit it from inside and worked their way out, so we didn't know until we could see the destruction from the outside. We grew butter & sugar in the front, silver queen for the fall in the back. Since then, the forest has grown in around where the garden used to be, so i'd have to build a greenhouse to keep all the animals from feasting.

Fresh veg were awesome, just snapped off their plants still tasting of the natural sugar. Bold red cherry tomatoes in a big silver bowl, radishes pulled out, ends snipped off with a little pat of butter and salt eaten over the sink.
Corn - yellow or white?
Posted: 7/12/2018 4:18:54 AM
I wish I had room for a greenhouse. I have a small garden, only because, everything needs to be protected or the animals will get it. I'm pretty sure its rabbits that like my garden. The red cherry tomatoes are just starting to sprout, I agree, nothing tastes better than something fresh from the garden.
 Llove2LaughToo
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/25/2018 7:06:34 PM
Why is my main picture getting reported....was it something I said?
 MsMicki
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2018 7:49:37 PM
My sister and I do a "family" garden...right around 5000 square feet!!
Literally canned about 500 quarts of veggies last year...plus froze about 50 bags of cut off corn and grated zuchinni (for zuchinni bread)
We do green beans, whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, italian tomatoes, juice and we also do spaghetti sauce out of fresh tomatoes,
bread and butter pickles, whole dills, spears and relish, carrots and candied carrots, pickled beets (my favorite) and peas.
and then we had about 50 pounds of potatoes and about 100 yellow and red onions
We also did about 30 quarts of Veggie soup...
and about 50 quarts of Salsa ( we decided we needed more Salsa this year...ran out too soon!)
needless to say....we keep the family stocked!
We also eat our fair share of Yellow Squash while it's fresh...sucks you can't can or freeze it without it turning to mush.
We added Brussel Sprouts this year...but will freeze those.

and yes...I detassled corn and worked in the hay fields as a youngster...you haven't lived till you've tossed hay bales!!
 hopelessnutcase
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/11/2018 10:20:57 AM
Where is 47seagull.hiding in the background. Meanwhile with all of the nukings...look like pod is successfully killing off these forums..a little at a time.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2018 10:27:55 AM
She, he or it was as nasty as they come. There's no need for that, and while I have never reported anyone, freedom of speech and all, attacking people with that kind of language is totally uncalled for, so I'm glad she got nuked. She was a disgusting human being.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > POF SHUT DOWN THESE BOARDS