Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How Long Should You Date Someone Before Moving In Together?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 26
How Long Should You Date Someone Before Moving In Together?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I wonder if a good "Test" is to say, "so honey, if you moved in here....what would you change?" The answer could turn out to be....enlightening :)
 cindi_rella
Msg: 27
How Long Should You Date Someone Before Moving In Together?
Posted: 6/26/2018 9:57:29 AM
At 2 months of dating, you hardly know each other. You are still in the honeymoon phase of a new relationship. I think 1 to 2 years is an appropriate time frame.
 CBGB77
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2018 11:19:05 AM

Posted By: MachIMustangII on 6/26/2018 1038 AM
Subject: How Long Should You Date Someone Before Moving In Together?
Message: I wonder if a good "Test" is to say, "so honey, if you moved in here....what would you change?" The answer could turn out to be....enlightening :)

That's a question,I'll have to ask her that.

Posted By: cindi_rella on 6/26/2018 1129 AM
Subject: How Long Should You Date Someone Before Moving In Together?
Message: At 2 months of dating, you hardly know each other. You are still in the honeymoon phase of a new relationship. I think 1 to 2 years is an appropriate time frame.

Yes,I agree. That is time frame we are really looking at. Probably won't do anything until 2020.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2018 4:59:10 PM
Hemingway wrote:
You should wait at least 19 to 24 months to move in or get married. You need to see a track record over time..........it's hard to keep up an act that long, there is a good chance you'll see the real person by then.
Does that mean if one moves in, or gets married at 18 months, it will be a disaster?

Does the real person reveal him/herself on the 30th or 31st of the 18th month? Or the 28th, if it's Feburary? Unless it's a leap year, then....um never mind.
 daynadaze
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2018 6:20:40 PM
People reveal themselves over time, a year or more shows you how they celebrate holidays, birthdays, etc., how they react to stress and how they treat you when they aren't on their best behavior...of course if you are desperate to have someone no matter what, time won't help.
 sun_water
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/26/2018 8:13:41 PM
It can vary. Not all couples or the dynamics of a relationship are the same. I know a couple that moved in together after they had dating each other for 9 months, They are now married. I know another couple that has been in a relationship for 4 years and they still don't live together. Maybe they move in together if/when they married or engaged. At the moment, seems like these living arrangements have worked out for both couples.
 ItCouldBeNice2
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2018 5:03:22 PM
I think that you can move in with someone part time at any time within the relationship... IF it feels like the right thing to spend more time with each other. I think you are correct that most people know that someone is the ONE for them early on usually within 6 months or to a year of dating. Things fall into place usually relatively easily and the relationship progresses naturally when two people are on the same page. Spending more time together and co-habituating more and more are signs of a potentially good loving relationship.

My personal experience, unfortunately has been to be a little blinded by love and I have rushed into romance too quickly. The high of being in love is a great place to be. I just make sure now that I have a ton of safety nets in place these days. And, I won't let anyone move in with me because they don't have any place to go or they need to find a place to live while they are trying to sell their house.
 ohenryx
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2018 6:53:36 PM

ItCouldBeNice2
The high of being in love is a great place to be.

Hallelujah, brothers and sisters, can I get an “Amen” on that? One of the nicest parts of life and living.

Things fall into place usually relatively easily and the relationship progresses naturally when two people are on the same page. Spending more time together and co-habituating more and more are signs of a potentially good loving relationship.

Very true, very. Now all I have to do is find the right person. Which isn’t proving to be easy.

Like I’ve said before, it’s a damn good thing that I’m enjoying the search!
 backcreek7
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2018 8:04:30 PM

the high of being in love

^^^ the greatest power on earth ^^^^

~ the salvation of mankind ...

heart / sun
 TomásIasan
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2018 12:47:46 AM
It's more relative to time spent with each other and how each of them feel personally I wouldn't move in with someone too many risks involved. I am hard to live with don't touch my stuff no excuses it's a rule of my home if it's not yours you don't touch it that simple. So they would move here and where exactly is their sh!t going? I like my home the way it is thanks you want a dresser it's right there and you get an area of the closet the rest is mine don't mess with it. So me deciding to live with someone they need to be amazing!
 lulz567
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2018 3:28:26 PM
I usually decide after a couple of years. If I have an engagement ring before we move in and all the other score checking on the quality so for. I did ditch a near perfect match once due to no engagement ring because if he couldn’t decide by then and the only offer on table was living together that meant him having all the perks but still keeping his options open and lukewarm just bores me too much to chuck my cards in and limit my options while he doesn’t and gets all the perks so moved on. I enjoyed some more dating after and met a lot of great guys and felt much better for continuing my search. Well not search just enjoying life and being sociable with potential of meeting someone to lead to more if he and I both have got to stage we actually want more. Some after a while would be good friends like great personality chemistry but they want to sleep around and keep their options open which is great but if they want that then I want that for myself to. Not sleeping around but dating maybe three guys a week or more to see who else is around.
 CBGB77
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2018 3:52:28 PM
http://blog.pof.com/2018/07/4-things-to-consider-before-moving-in-with-your-significant-other/
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2018 5:28:32 PM

I read this article with a survey which shows that most people decide on this after 6 months to a year of dating.What is your experience?

It's actually based on not when they did, but when they thought it was a good idea. Like 7% in less than 6 months, even though 30% did it in less than 6 months (7% are the ones who did it + said it was an OK or better idea).

But again, it's just A survey, so don't put too much stock in the #s. It's just what they did + how they feel, for 1 pool. But it brings up an interesting question.

One key thing that can shorten the timeframe where it's wise: How long did you two know each other (and how well), prior to Dating in the first place? If they were social-group friends as teens into their 20s, became 1-on-1 friends for a while, where everyone's like "When are you two going to Date??" -- then finally they do -- sure, I can't say under a year is horrible If they are a good match. On the flip side, you can take another situation where it'd be Bad News to move in even though it's been over a year together.

But in general, there shouldn't be a rush. I would say a general rule of thumb would be 1 year of uninterrupted Solid Serious Dating would be the minimum. If you "started" out casually dating for 2 months, start the clock after those 2 months. Once you hit that 1 year of Serious Dating then you can aim for it, which many times would be when one's lease runs out on one of their places (or both if one's going to buy a house and both rent).

So in the end, pulling the trigger, IMO, would be over a year, but moving in before the 2-year mark hits -- assuming the Relationship was Solid & Serious throughout.
 from site to sight
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/30/2018 5:48:34 PM

Msg 40:
I did ditch a near perfect match once due to no engagement ring because if he couldn’t decide by then and the only offer on table was living together that meant him having all the perks...

What are the perks that he would get, but you wouldn't get? This makes no sense.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2018 6:17:20 AM
msg #43:
I did ditch a near perfect match once due to no engagement ring because if he couldn’t decide by then and the only offer on table was living together that meant him having all the perks...

What are the perks that he would get, but you wouldn't get? This makes no sense.

She wanted to get married, he wanted to 'play house'---there is a difference~

Ya, ya,it's just a piece of paper. But an official piece of paper nonetheless.

Different strokes for different folks.
 backcreek7
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2018 1:58:30 PM
^^^
I Aegisthus > son of Thyestes, do hereby bequeath the wonderful lullaby below ~ to my true love Clytemnestra ...

* lyrics - " Won't you please read my signs, be a gypsy ? Tell me what I hope to find, deep within me ...
............... Because you can find my mind, please be with me "

PLEASE BE WITH ME by Eric Clapton

ps lil' platipie? If I softly sing the lyrics above to you ~ my queen ~ will you honor me with a slow dance ?

Agamemnon need not know ~ we don't want him to " lose his head " over it , col
We'll turn the lights down low & in this case, the music need not be > turned way up ...

heart / sun
 julystorm22
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2018 4:04:10 PM

I wonder if a good "Test" is to say, "so honey, if you moved in here....what would you change?" The answer could turn out to be....enlightening :) [\quote]

Actually, I think that would be a great question to ask. If this person is truly going to consider your place as home, they need to put some of their touches into it too
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2018 7:56:23 PM
I agree that two years would be sensible but those I know dont wait that long before co-habiting. Mostly it is for financial reasons.
Living together day by day soon takes the romance out of it all and is a real test for moving to a mature more realistic love which often falters....
 CBGB77
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2018 9:23:20 AM
Living together with my girlfriend is our long term goal but it is really something that will not happen until way in the future(2 years).Right now we are just enjoying hanging out and visiting each others house. We have been together almost 4 months now but on on average we can only get together 2 or 3 times a week so there is still alot to learn about each other. The biggest problem will be when winter returns. That could make visiting each other more difficult. 20 miles in Minnesota can feel like a long distance romance.
 cooldog65
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2018 9:35:47 AM
^^^ Where's the URL?
 from site to sight
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/14/2018 10:49:48 AM
The most ideal situation for a couple to try the living together phase is to rent a place for at least a year or two. That way, if it doesn't work out, the couple can take their personal belongings and hit the road, and there are no ties and loose ends to clean up.

Having someone move into the other person's house can be tricky. If the non-owner contributes financially to the house and the couple breaks up, the non-owner could claim partial ownership of the house-depending on how long they both lived in the house and state/provincial laws concerning common-law arrangements. You will never know what the other person might fight for in a break-up until it happens-the Jekyll and Hyde personality in some people might surface.

There is irony in the people who are totally against pre-nups, because it's viewed as a divorce plan, and everybody claims that their marriage will the successful one that lasts for a lifetime, and they will spend eternity in heaven together. But a lot of these same people, who have accumulated assets and money over the years, are dead set against combining all assets and money into one pool-the "our" pool. They want to maintain the "his and hers" assets and money, in case the marriage doesn't work out-irregardless of the "Our marriage will last a lifetime" claim.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How Long Should You Date Someone Before Moving In Together?