Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do nice guys finish last?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2ufo
Msg: 451
view profile
History
Do nice guys finish last?Page 19 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

Kids from my "generation " grew up with the constant reminder of "what if?" since our parents and older relatives were drafted. There presently isn't a draft in the USA but every decade there is talk of reinstating it, although the military top brass wants a professional military instead.

No one in my family had or has to worry about the draft. To us, the draft was a weird system - making people do what our government deemed necessary and what we were already doing. At the time, I scratched my head over that one. Most of the military guys (of that generation) that I knew would prefer a professional military as well. I would prefer a system more like Switzerland's but with women conscripted as well.

Secondly , NO ONE should be respected for the struggle to get a credit card! Go back and read how odd that statement is. It the tool of the bank to make profit and put you in debt and back in the 70's layaway was WAY more popular anyway .

Layaway was more popular BECAUSE women (who did most of the shopping) couldn't get credit or store cards in their own name.
The struggle was not necessarily for getting a credit card.
It was also for being able to finance things like a home or a car.
It's for having an economic persona - for being counted as an adult rather than as the belonging of a man.
In fact, one of the first things my dad did on getting his orders for Vietnam were to put the house totally in my mother's name. Because she wouldn't be able to get a loan in her own name if he was killed - even though she had worked as long as he had and made nearly the same amount of money. She had to pay the full amount of cash up front for her first car rather than be able to finance a loan.

That being said...being turned down for a credit card Probably isn't a personal rejection or discrimination.

I don't know - isn't it discrimination if the first criteria for a credit card is: male?
How about if it was 'white'?
Or Methodist?
Or heterosexual - no fetishes allowed?

I think it's pretty hilarious when people (mostly males) say that feminism is a ploy of the corporations.

Once again, this is all what I consider a rant from men who don't like that women have the freedom to tell a man 'no'.

CAVEAT: Way back in whatever post, I was calling the rant typical. I was not trying to imply that Merrimac was what I consider a typical 'self-proclaimed nice guy'. Which is a bad thing to me.

Tech
- you're the one who wrote:
Married or not, never trust a woman.
I think most of us took it in the context of the thread but in conjunction with some of your posts that are vaguely anti-female, there is no reason to assume you are... well, a reasonable man when it comes to women. I wouldn't have any problem giving a male neighbor my phone number, which is how I read the post.

You also said:

Some of them used to come into my office and one would rest her head on my and get really close. I put an end to that fast.
Another would always have some reason to touch my hands. Again ended that and made sure I got a camera in my office.

I think that is a great idea - not so much the camera - but the setting of boundaries. This is what more people - male and female- need to be able to do.

As for false accusations of rape - you're more likely to be hit by a bolt of lightning.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 452
view profile
History
Do nice guys finish last?
Posted: 10/19/2018 12:34:31 PM
Whether or not I wanted to add to my debt re a credit card is
beside the point.

Try going to a bank and having them say "No, we can't give you
a mortgage, finance a car, give you a loan or let you withdraw
money from your joint bank account unless your wife is with
you and cosigns. No, we don't care if you work and have money..
no it doesn't matter if you have more money than your wife."
I bet we'd be seeing some pissed of men crying at the injustice
of it all.

You're totally missing the point and being condescending in
the process.

Men have always been able to do pretty much whatever they
wanted...without asking for it or trying...especially the men
in this forum.

But go on and walk on that moral high ground and keep patting
yourselves on the back for all the strides you've made for social
justice and equal rights.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 453
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2018 1:35:07 PM
I was 21 the first time I applied for a credit card. I was denied. They gave mumbo jumbo reasons, one of them being I didn't have employment, and another, I had too many dependents. I sent a brief letter in reply.

"Actually I have been employed for several years now and I have NO dependents. Your problem with me is, I am free, white, 21 AND FEMALE! "I received a credit card 2 weeks later. I never used it, LOL
 oldwxman
Msg: 454
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2018 1:48:05 PM
*Men have always been able to do pretty much whatever they
wanted...without asking for it or trying...especially the men
in this forum.

My apologies to backcreek7

... didn't you love the things that she stood for?
... didn't she try to find some good in you and me?
... and we'll be free someday.
... soon we're gonna be wondering:
... anybody here
... seen my old friend browneyes?
... can you tell me where she's gone?

Dion 1968 (paraphrased)
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 455
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2018 3:05:29 PM

Once again, this is all what I consider a rant from men who don't like that women have the freedom to tell a man 'no'.

Not sure who you directed that at???(raises eyebrow). I saw no one ranting here , neither gender. Anyone can say whatever they want here and feel whatever they want BUT ONCE YOU(they/he/she) put it down in a public forum they/you/he/she should be prepared that those that don't agree with them 100% are going to express themselves. You want "political correctness" I am sure there are other avenues!

Also what do you know about the guys on here to think they have a large problem with women saying NO to them? please share! My experience has shown women often handle "NO" FAR WORSE than men do. Again it is based on my experience and every ones mileage will fluctuate.
* I don't accept NO from guys any more or less than women, I have a dominant personalty,equal like and/or disdain BASED on the individual :)

Layaway was more popular BECAUSE women (who did most of the shopping) couldn't get credit or store cards in their own name.

I don't know the "why", just stating the facts. I was always offered layaway at electronic franchises and other businesses that had more of a male client base. But then the credit cards started giving everyone a card ,even pets! lol.

I don't know - isn't it discrimination if the first criteria for a credit card is: male?
How about if it was 'white'?
Or Methodist?
Or heterosexual - no fetishes allowed?[/quote

Debatable. That is why I said "PERSONAL" discrimination. The decision isn't being made to be unjust or be prejudicial....just what was considered good mathematics based on risk based on stereotypes back in the day that might have represented statistics. Business NOT personal.
It is like when they say cops stop more blacks that they are discriminating and being prejudice. But I can assure you that MOST of the time cops are stopping people who fit descriptions that went over the radio. Profiling can lead to stereotyping but again that doesn't make it prejudice.
Perhaps the victims are prejudice and need to stop giving descriptions that include race when reporting crime ? ;)

When they used to ask me why I am always stopping them , I would answer because someone keeps reporting you!

I think it's pretty hilarious when people (mostly males) say that feminism is a ploy of the corporations.

REALLY? People think it is a ploy of the corporations?
I must have missed that! I CLEARLY said that corporations have supported feminism. It is SIMPLY because it is good business sense. However, if it wasn't, things today might be different. Money talks! If they didn't support it they are stupid and the stock owners should fire the boards.

Two interesting things about this thread:
1. A few of the women agree with the guys

2. The women like to accuse men as ranting when they themselves sometimes RANT and I think Boo's post came across as maybe being a rant by some people ,so members responded.

Most men from the tonality of their vernacular use weren't impassioned at all.
But perhaps we use "ranting" differently?
verb
gerund or present participle: ranting
speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.
"she was still ranting on about the unfairness of it all"

The real absurdity of the way this thread has gone is nonacceptance that anyone one is going to change anyone's minds:
No one is going to change how Boo feels or any other member feels about the past so you would have better chance to part the Red Sea..just saying.

But go on and walk on that moral high ground and keep patting
yourselves on the back for all the strides you've made for social
justice and equal rights

Not sure who that is directed at but if I am included in that group I am gasping at the implication. I am in NO WAY trying to make strides on getting equal rights. That would imply that I THINK women and men are equal and everyone who knows me KNOWS I don't think we are(and we aren't).
That being said despite my sexist/chauvinist old fashioned upbringing..I don't think ANYONE is better and/or worst than anyone else ALTHOUGH some times there are barriers that might make it appear so. If someone doesn't want to go with my beliefs I am cool with that, plenty of fish in the water. I live in the most chauvinistic city on the planet probably outside of the MiddleEast and was raised by Italian/Russian parents so good luck if you think I am going to change now when I am retired and having fun! If I was psychoanalyzed it would probably come out that I am just looking out for my interests and being selfish. Psychologically that is healthy! Most people are selfish. I also am NOT a nice guy!

But RED still luvs me for being BAD :)
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 456
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2018 3:10:32 PM

) for what its worth, ladies, Norweigan guy doesn't just man-splain the ladies :) Guys posting here get the same treatment. look thru the archives, you'll see i'm correct. its just the way he is.

Absolutely. He has attempted to do it to me and I did it RIGHT back at him and he disappeared for a few days lol.

Don't try scam a scam artist!
 backcreek7
Msg: 457
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2018 4:37:42 PM

Men have always been able to pretty much do whatever they wanted

^^
.... I agree 100 % boo ~ the men who were fortunate enough to be able to ... And yes , the average woman has been s*hit on since day one. To top that off, often the gorgeous women get idolized ~ for nothing but their looks, another dimwit mandeed gone awry. Personally, I think we are FINALLY headed toward equality for all ~ it's a VERY slow road, but I'm optimistic & see a world of human equals in our distant future.

... ^ No problemo oldwxman !! I am touched, that you thought of me ~ my friend !!

* lyrics ~ " He freed a lot of people, but it seems the good die young "

Abraham, Martin & John by Dion
>turn it up ^
 backcreek7
Msg: 458
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2018 5:03:07 PM
* ... And > I know in my heart, that none here ~ need question my love and respect for women, I walk the walk ... I have always lived my life how I see fit, knowing that many men feel as I do . Quite often it seems, bad deeds make the news & good deeds go un-heard. > Frankly, I think " most men " of my generation - are good and decent people, you just don't hear from them very often.

( the silent majority of men, that is )

...Our world awaits, the beginning of a new age ~ one in which All human beings, are treated both humanly & with respect.

... heart / sun
 bearcat44
Msg: 459
Posted: 10/19/2018 5:16:11 PM
Time to WAKE UP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVXdxaaRiAU&t=87s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pPGijYBaVE

Time to WAKE UP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVXdxaaRiAU&t=87s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pPGijYBaVE
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do nice guys finish last?