Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you care what a person does for work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dinno76
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Do you care what a person does for work?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Depends on where you live. In the Los Angeles area most women will not date a factory worker or any service industry worker. They go after the men with lots of money. They tend to hang out at the clubs along the coast or in the Hollywood area because that is where the men with lots of money tend to hang out.
Do you care what a person does for work?
Posted: 8/13/2018 6:17:30 PM

I've had many women look down their noses at my line of work. I've been a building contractor all of my life. Most, I believe, think that I spend a lot of my time looking for work. Yup, I must have spent, Ohh, perhaps 20 days in my working life not having another job to start after I've finished my last job. Most, however do not know of all of my talents.

Anything you have sitting under the peak of your house, I can build or fix. This includes most of your major appliances. (Short of Refrigeration) May as well add into that mix, your car, mower, or anything with a gas engine. I've built a number of grain handling, and mixing equipment operations from the ground up. Most farm equipment. I can fabricate most anything out of steel. I can repair any swimming pool, or spa tub. I know how to run any piece of heavy equipment. I can drive anything, including semi tractors. I can operate most machine shop equipment. I know how to pull water wells, or fix any plumbing issue. Electric, all, including some three phase industrial. Until the digital age came along, I could even fix analog. Heating, well, if it's got a standing pilot light, I can repair it.

I can even miss vacations on a regular basis. Mainly because people will swamp me with work- quite often. I'm a first call on most household disasters, because people know I can bail them out of many situations.

Yes, I'm one of those nasty folks that does "Dirty Jobs". My days are never dull. How many can say," I went to work on a roof, but instead, I got an old flat head Ford V-8 started, tuned, and installed in a '52 Ford ratrod- And got paid to do it".

Sometimes, life can be more interesting than a date.

Good post!!!
 sun___flower
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2018 10:48:13 AM
PurpleRider
I've had many women look down their noses at my line of work. I've been a building contractor all of my life. Most, I believe, think that I spend a lot of my time looking for work. Yup, I must have spent, Ohh, perhaps 20 days in my working life not having another job to start after I've finished my last job. Most, however do not know of all of my talents.

Anything you have sitting under the peak of your house, I can build or fix. This includes most of your major appliances. (Short of Refrigeration) May as well add into that mix, your car, mower, or anything with a gas engine. I've built a number of grain handling, and mixing equipment operations from the ground up. Most farm equipment. I can fabricate most anything out of steel. I can repair any swimming pool, or spa tub. I know how to run any piece of heavy equipment. I can drive anything, including semi tractors. I can operate most machine shop equipment. I know how to pull water wells, or fix any plumbing issue. Electric, all, including some three phase industrial. Until the digital age came along, I could even fix analog. Heating, well, if it's got a standing pilot light, I can repair it.

I can even miss vacations on a regular basis. Mainly because people will swamp me with work- quite often. I'm a first call on most household disasters, because people know I can bail them out of many situations.

Yes, I'm one of those nasty folks that does "Dirty Jobs". My days are never dull. How many can say," I went to work on a roof, but instead, I got an old flat head Ford V-8 started, tuned, and installed in a '52 Ford ratrod- And got paid to do it".

Sometimes, life can be more interesting than a date.

Endless Summer Nights
Good post!!!

Agreed - great post. I cannot comprehend why someone would not respect the profession of building contractor. Contractors generally work for themselves, they are smart with their heads and their hands, and not to sound crass, but they can make good money.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2018 5:30:16 PM
when I was younger, I was always respected in my trade. many would consider me well above other men without multiple skills. somewhere along the way, that changed. several issues that may or may not be relevant; wages and what a contractor can charge competively have remained stagnant in this area. another would be the number of those without skill our equipment that stumble upon the occasional job. they don't work much or have much income, let alone s.s. insurance or even unemployment. some view contractors as earning a few bucks in between real jobs. what I have noticed more in the dating aspect is the assumption that we are of the same skill level of the kid mowing your lawn and cleaning the gutters. the assumed low pay, many of my educated friends are shocked when they find I make more than them. it is dirty!! the number one biggest complaint I have had from women is the dirt and dust! add in my hobbies are restoring cars so I am always dirty. when its too cold outside, I remodel the house. so far every live in gf hated the dust more than they liked the improvements I made.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2018 6:30:49 PM
Really as I am financially independent I dont care what a guy may do for work as long as it is honourable and
pays a decent wage so that he can take care of his own needs.
 dark_n_juju
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/14/2018 6:42:09 PM

As an example, there is a saying, "Firemen cheat, cops beat". Some women won't date cops.

I was told when I was younger one of my friend's mother said Never date a cop, he will make your life miserable after the relationship breaks up. The same was said about men from African cultures. Now I know that is not nice but it places in the back of mind when I meet a guy.

As an example, there is a saying, "Firemen cheat, cops beat". Some women won't date cops.

LOL

OH, I am so staying out of this one.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2018 7:03:08 PM
Purple, I admire men that have those skills, though many don't have all of your skills. Many men I've dated long term had a trade.

Yes, it matters. No truck drivers, no lawyers that defend criminals, and the job should do more than just support the person. Doesn't matter if it's a blue collar or white collar job. I do admire a man that works with his hands.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2018 1:00:03 PM
NY58:
no lawyers that defend criminals
Generally a person needs a lawyer before he's judged to be a criminal. So you'd rather date the lawyers who find loopholes to hide billionaire and corporate money offshore so we get to pay more to make up for it?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2018 1:27:07 PM
I don't really care what a person does for work.
But I do care how they do it.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 8:32:36 AM
SS45, a criminal is a criminal. I'm not making distinctions.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 8:37:34 AM
purplerider wrote:
I think that, as a society, skilled and unskilled blue collar type jobs and the trades have been devalued in the public's eye. If it ain't glamorous, nobody respects it. And many of the kids growing up don't wanna do them...everyone wants to be some type of hotshot web developer, financial planner, analytics whiz...and those who can't do that, (which are most), I think would rather work in retail, and keep their hands and clothes clean (and make no money and have almost nil career prospects) rather than sweat and get their hands dirty.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 8:47:12 AM
NY58 wrote:
SS45, a criminal is a criminal. I'm not making distinctions.
But why the knee jerk response to single out lawyers that defend "criminals?" Why not lawyers that find loopholes that enrich corporations and billionaires with more money that they don't need? Or lawyers that protect powerful corporations to allow them to sell dangerous products, or allow them to rip off consumers? Maybe it's legal, but only because the rich have bribed legislators. But it's unethical. The "criminals" statement just smacks of "Lawyers that defend poor people."

There's a good chance that the criminal defense lawyer is a more grounded, ethical, honest person than some sleazy, silk stockinged, Ivy league educated scumbag who doesn't do anything of use to society and even damages it by shorting the treasury and helping the rich get richer at our expense. I think THAT would be a good kneejerk response of someone "not to date."
 NewYorker58
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 9:02:05 AM
Anyone that's not ethical and hurts others would be on my list.

A relative of mine made a 6 figure salary working in retail with a high school degree. You can make a lot of money in retail if you apply yourself. Men that can create things, and work with their hands, that's attractive. Those jobs also show most have a certain activity level, and those jobs help you keep in shape. Trade jobs are great.
 zsuzsa62
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/17/2018 9:15:07 AM
It would be nice if he enjoyed his work...but I wouldn't care. And if we were a good fit, I wouldn't even mind if he had no job. I've enough to share, as long as he lives within our means.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2018 9:29:19 AM
I'd probably be interested in police men and security guards and other similar positions.
My boyfriend is a security guard.
It's just fun to talk about and I like the guns and it requires a lot of balls and skills.
Other jobs are pretty boring in comparison.
I don't really find trades attractive or men who use their hands in their work.
Or retail. I guess government jobs could be attractive and lawyers.
Basically I find the authoritative positions attractive.
 2Maggie22
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/18/2018 6:58:14 AM
I think a cute pizza boy would be more appealing than a rich snob
 cooldog65
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2018 9:05:30 AM
^^^ He would deliver it hot and fresh...
 ssm508
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2018 11:30:40 AM
For most part, profession is not important to me. I have dated women that were lawyers, nurses, law enforcement, teachers, financial advisors etc. There are good and bad people in most legal jobs.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2018 4:51:18 PM
I owe it all to growing up on a farm. And one grandfather that thought that all eight year old kids should know how to rebuild a four barrel carburetor.

It would be nice if he enjoyed his work...but I wouldn't care. And if we were a good fit, I wouldn't even mind if he had no job. I've enough to share, as long as he lives within our means.

When my ex left me, she put herself out of a job. She worked, with me. I had her swinging a hammer with me. There wasn't a thing she couldn't do on a job. Many times I hired guys, and put them to working with her. I could do all the little nuisance jobs, while they did major stuff, and direct them. Anytime we did a roofing job, she tossed shingles at me. She didn't think that her help was worth much, until I pointed out to her that we were making over $200 an hour when we did that.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2018 4:40:23 AM
I don't care what a man does for a living as long as it's moral and legal. I do care if a man is presentable and intelligent.

A person does not have to have a formal education to be highly informed and educated.

But one thing that is VERY important to me is that the person have compatible working hours. If we can never be tighter because of different schedules, what's the point?
 dinno76
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2018 11:57:19 AM
Why does it have to be legal ? Money is money why does it matter how they made it?
 2ufo
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2018 3:57:08 PM
^^^
Because if it's not legal, there's a very good chance the police will come take him away.
And it could be a very long time.
 dinno76
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2018 4:23:28 PM
How would you know? Would you ask someone on the first date if they are crooked? Would you expect them to tell you the truth and say they are?
 2ufo
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2018 5:11:34 PM
^^^^
How would I know?
Hate to break it to you, but these things do come out. Perhaps money from no visible job or whispers about what my date did to the last guy to cross him. The surveillance vans parked in the neighborhood.

I probably wouldn't ever ask if they were crooked.
 siisaa
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2018 6:52:49 PM

Because if it's not legal, there's a very good chance the police will come take him away.

True, and depending on your living arrangement, they could take you away too and seize all of your belongings. Dinno is dense. There are so many stories of mostly young, foolish women who think that being a "ride or die" chick is fun or exciting until they're charged with being an accomplice and conspirator to certain crimes. No, sis. I'd rather be with someone who has their shit together.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you care what a person does for work?