Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you care what a person does for work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 browneyesboo
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Do you care what a person does for work?Page 8 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
^^^It used to be you could get your HS education or a trade school
education and get a good job right out of HS. HS had business courses
or college courses and you could choose your route. With a business
course it was possible to land jobs in insurance companies, banks,
pretty much any 9-5 office and stay there until retirement. Trade schools
set you up for apprenticeship in the trades, construction, plumbing, etc.
Many of the people that graduated from the trade school were able to
start their own business right out of HS.

Sadly, many of the jobs available then, are no longer available without
a college degree. It's tough being young nowadays. I see my kids on their
paths...wildly different from the paths myself and my friends took. I
didn't even go to college until years out of HS and many of my friends
never went or had to.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Do you care what a person does for work?
Posted: 11/13/2018 9:19:25 AM
hello, merimac, sorry to take so long to say hello

"I think for women in general, social-economic leagues can come into play. For most guys, we don't much care how popular the gal is, how fruitful her social-connections are, etc -- but gals tend to be affected more about that when sizing up guys roaming around. I think guys in general have a much more basic measuring stick when it comes to sizing up the opp sex."

>>>i'd say, a woman looking for a financially secure partner, likely does concern herself with his potential. my BFF's daughter grew up as "daddy's little girl", and once he bounced back from his bankruptcy of his construction company, she was used to "men of means", shall we say. Daddy paid for college, paid for her car, helped find and pay for her house, you get the idea. she wasn't meeting men outside that social-economic circle, anyway. some women are looking for a relationship, some men are looking to get laid :) also, not every man is looking to couch surf and take a woman's hard earned paycheck.

" This had me thinking... after I graduated from college, all the women I've slept with were college graduates. I wonder if highschool dropouts are significantly different..I am a high school dropout and would be happy to sate your curiosity. "

>>>i'm really rusty from years of not hitting on women, but...i thot i taw a flirt going on :)

but back to that college degree...i knew a woman who took on a job delivering potato chips to stores b/c the boxes are light yet the pay was $50K a year and you could set your own hours, almost. but soon the company wanted college educated workers, on the theory they could say, "here's your route, figure out when to run it and how many boxes to have on your truck that day so you aren't making multiple trips and taking all day to do the route". in other words, someone used to a syllibus had a sense of being a self-starter.
 Carnival_Fishing
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2018 9:29:16 AM
The trick to getting a diploma/degree in some technical field is to first find employers who will hire recent grads who have no experience. There has always been a big demand for people in the trades, but most employers won't hire people off of the street who have no experience in the field (unless they have connections), and therefore no trade license-which often requires 8,000 hours (4 years) working in the trade to get licensed. I doubt technical schools mention the part of companies not hiring the inexperienced, since the school's job is to fill seats with paying students. If an employer looks at a resume, and the only thing listed in the Work Experience section is a job flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, that's not going to impress an employer, regardless of what technical training the person got.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2018 10:26:32 AM
^^^^Most of the technical schools that were operating when I
was in school, are no longer there...not supported by the community. Employers no longer
hire out of school without experience...and the old "how can I get
experience if you won't hire me" ensues.

Things have changed and not necessarily for the better regarding
obtaining a first job.
 julystorm22
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2018 2:00:58 PM
In Canada, regarding technical or trades jobs, what makes graduates of 1, 2 or 3 year college diplomas/certs more employable (note, that in Canada, colleges are technical schools), 50% of the program consists of practicum experience which is what graduates use for references to obtain employment.
 MsMicki
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2018 5:48:59 PM
In my area....there are 3 factories that hire anyone....
No high school diploma and felons....
The starting wage is $14.50 an hour....which is double the minimum wage here...and getting all the overtime they want.
Hard to preach "get your education" to the younguns when they know they can go straight to these companies and make a pretty decent wage without it!
 spot4username
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2018 7:44:59 PM

i'm really rusty from years of not hitting on women, but...i thot i taw a flirt going on :)

Not in any size, shape, or form. I was merely offering to give insight since I fit the description and doubt that many other women participating in our little forum do.
 julystorm22
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2018 10:08:50 PM
We don't have too many manufacturing jobs here but those that do either pay minimum wage or close to it unless the jobs require speciality skills such as welding. Minimum wage here is $10.96 so $14.50 is still peanuts.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2018 1:37:42 AM

No high school diploma and felons....
The starting wage is $14.50 an hour....which is double the minimum wage here...and getting all the overtime they want.

If anyone can get a job starting at $29k/yr + all the OT they want -- sounds like a lot of people don't last that long in the job, otherwise it'd be filled up? Or is it one of those "sweet spot" temporary time periods where it's growing faster than people willing to move in, even with people sticking to the job quite well?

As for $14.50 being peanuts... if you live in a small town in Indiana with rent being cheap, and you end up getting start off making $32k/yr with the occasional OT, and the gal he lives with is making $22k/yr (~11/hr) -- that's $54k a year combined. Far more "peanut" situations.
 MsMicki
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2018 5:00:40 AM
Yeah....they have a pretty high turnover rate....
but we are talking about drop outs and felons....who don't tend to stay at jobs for long.
And it is hard work....
But those that stick it out....work up the ladder rather quickly.
My 20 year old great nephew is up to $16 an hour in less than a year.
He works 3 - 12 hour shifts and always picks up an extra day....so he's making pretty damn good bank for a 20 year old!

and July.....it is not peanuts in my area....minimum wage is $7.25 an hour here....so that should give you an idea that the cost of living is on the lower end.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2018 2:51:06 PM

Minimum wage here is $10.96 so $14.50 is still peanuts

and July.....it is not peanuts in my area....minimum wage is $7.25 an hour here....so that should give you an idea that the cost of living is on the lower end.

I'll take my "peanuts", lightly salted, in the shell...………..or in a Peanut Buster parfait!

As Ms Micki points out, the bottom line is "Cost of living", where one lives. "Peanuts" to one, does not translate to everyone.
 cooldog65
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2018 7:06:51 PM

Minimum wage here is $10.96 so $14.50 is still peanuts.

If we're talking Canadian versus US dollars, the gap widens. It takes about $1.32 Canadian to equal $1 US or $1 Canadian equals $.76 US.
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 3:25:21 AM
Canadians seem to have lower expenses because their healthcare is "free". The biggest cost by far in the USA is healthcare. The so called "affordable healthcare act" made healthcare even more unaffordable. My monthly rate has gone up about 300%. The stated increase for next year and the increase last year are an even higher dollar amount and a higher percentage than the increases in the Obama years. Trump has broken his campaign promises to reverse Obamacare and to bring down rates.

The USA healthcare system also drives down wages because the vast majority of American workers who could afford to retire keep working because of a backward system that gives healthcare to people with jobs, while people who don't have an employer have to pay much more. There is a near infinite supply of jobless or underemployed Americans. All media claims of shortages of American workers are lies to bring in more cheap foreign labor. If the baby boomers would drop out of the workforce, it would free up jobs for younger Americans, and employers would probably pay more.

Most Americans are stupid and ignorant with finances, living paycheck to paycheck, racking up huge debt. If they got paid more, they would spend more and go more into debt. So if your SO gets a "better" job, they will probably still be broke and might have even more of a negative net worth.
 julystorm22
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 5:47:55 AM
Just curious, what would rent and utilities (water/power/heat) cost per month where you are? Here you are looking anywhere from $1100 to $1600 for all per month.

Yes, I know healthcare and lack of other social programs make it difficult for Americans but you have to realize we in Canada pay for those health and social programs in the form of much higher taxes. My paycheques before taxes and everything are about $2100 every two weeks but after taxes and my health/dental plan, pension and union dues come off my actual takehome pay is about $1250 every two weeks. I mak3 $22.88 per hour.
 2ufo
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 8:02:13 AM
It's not the take home pay.
It's what you keep.

As Merrimac says... too many people don't budget, don't take care of their money. They spend it... all.

hemingway234
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 8:33:44 AM

If we're talking Canadian versus US dollars, the gap widens. It takes about $1.32 Canadian to equal $1 US or $1 Canadian equals $.76 US.

- yup! You guys need to state whether you are talking about Canadian or american dollars. There's a 25% difference.
 julystorm22
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 11:08:21 AM
Even within the same country prices can be so different. In places like Vancouver, rent is ridiculously high. In Toronto, groceries are way cheaper. In Montreal daycare is super cheap cause its subsidized.

I cannot figure out how someone on mimimum wage survives. Between housing if I had my own place (power, heat, rent, water) and transportation (car payments, gas, insurance) that's almost my entire workpay. Maybe $100 left. Then you add on childcare which is $500 per month. So I would not be able to pay for transportation, childcare and housing just based on my workpay, I would need more. Not to even mention groceries and the phone bill.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 11:52:23 AM

Yeah, but we're not talking about a someone living in America, crossing the border for work, tho.

The so called "affordable healthcare act" made healthcare even more unaffordable.

For some. For some, they're allowed it which they could never get, or it went down (on the poorer side). But yeah, overall it definitely has its serious complaints outside of that. In a nutshell -- allowing everyone to have healthcare and to also put a price limit on people who are going to get healthcare all the time, passes the buck onto everyone else. But merely going to back to what it used to be with a few tweaks won't resolve everything, and isn't a realistic option. They need a total revamp.

In Montreal daycare is super cheap cause its subsidized.

I always found that to be a good idea. Like school (an 8-3 "daycare") -- having one from babies->Kindergarten, which would obviously be smaller than schools... and having a sort of certification by the state to allow private citizens run their own (not just trailer-park-Sally doing allowed to do it), where if you're below middle-class the fee would be minimal, and if you're middle-class+ the fee not high. This would allow single-moms (and dads) breathing room to still go to college and more work leeway, and pay itself back into the economy due to less on welfare assistance and better jobs obtained, school, etc.
 julystorm22
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 1:01:32 PM
There's actually really good reasons for having a national childcare program but in Quebec, which is the only province to implement one, the amount paid was the same for everyone regardless of income ($8 per day) which I think was a mistake. I think $8 is too cheap plus I believe in a sliding scale. Alberta is starting to implement one. I wouldn't be surprised if a national childcare program does happen in Canada in the next 5 years but by then my kids will be too old for babysitters of course.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 4:16:16 PM
Just knowing one job is foolish. I've set myself up in several professions that I can do. Most of the time I can undercut union tradesmen, and offer up the same quality work they do. ( and many times better. I've seen too many union screwups)

Planning to work all of your life means you should be prepared to know more than just one trade. I can't tell you how many times I set out to a particular job on any given day, only to have a customer toss something new at me, that I never planned on. And end up fixing his current disaster, instead of what I was doing the day before.

Makes for interesting days. It's certainly not boring.
 julystorm22
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2018 5:54:25 PM
But Henry, you are of a generation that can still do that. Nowadays to enter any trade you have to go to college (trade school) and get a new diploma or certificate to get a job in another field and that means time and money. Gone are the days a person gets hired off the street with just a Grade 12 diploma. Now no one will hire you unless you are certified in this or that.
 MsMicki
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2018 4:57:52 AM
July....the rent ranges from around $500 for smaller homes up to $800 for a 3 BR,2 Bath
Of course there are those that run higher, but those tend to be in more rural areas with at the least an 1/2 acre of land to go with it.
The most expensive apartments this area has seen just went in last year....these are 2000 square feet with every anemity possible and they run on average of $1200 a month.
 WhatNamesAreLeftThen
Msg: 198
Posted: 11/16/2018 7:39:07 AM
I think I need to move to Indiana. Here, a sleeping room where you share a bathroom and shower with drunks and drug addicts costs $500 - $700 a month. Studio, one bedroom apartments, or very small houses are $600 - $1000. Two and three bedroom homes are $1000 - $2000. Everything on the lower end of these estimates is "you get what you pay for". So, that $600 or $700 small apartment is probably going to have leaks, mold, terrible neighbors, old grungy cabinets, etc.
 julystorm22
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2018 8:05:29 AM
It used to be cheaper for housing here but when our economy started doing well and tons of people moved here, no new rental housing was built. Tons of new houses and condos for sale though. But a lot of people don't have the money for a deposit saved up or they lack good credit or just do not want to own so they need rentals and neither the private market or the government is providing that. Its a huge problem. Supply is not even near equalling demand. The hotels are full of families not able to find a place to rent. Once my finances are in order, even when I can afford to rent it might take many months to find something. I could rent a house thats for sale but previously when I've done that, its sold and we have to move right away.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 200
view profile
History
"an expert, is someone who accomplishes the basics better than anyone else"
Posted: 11/17/2018 9:53:16 AM
"As Merrimac says... too many people don't budget, don't take care of their money. They spend it... all."

>>around here, it can be "retail therapy", as people make themselves temporarily happy with something shiny and new (or just new to them), and for others, its "keeping up with the Joneses" in order to feel successful. pity no one taught them success is being happy with what you do have.

"just knowing one job, is foolish"

>>>totally agree. i worked in a family run biz that had a habit of grabbing anyone standing around for too long and putting them in another job where someone called out sick. we didn't call it "cross training", but i guess it was. and my fav employee was a guy with intellectual curiousity, he was constantly looking over someone's shoulder and asking what was being done or how it was being fixed. never went beyond high school, but he was a manager and the maintainance fellow was constanly grabbing him for help making repairs. unfortunately, that jerk made the cheapest repairs (duct tape plumbing back together, really?) but sometimes learning what not to do, is good :) and that manager would go home and do work around his house--he knocked down enough walls and redid the floorplan of his house so his wife could run daycare out of it as the kids grew and wanted their own space, i'm sure the original builder wouldn't have recognized the house.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you care what a person does for work?