Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Forum people      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Forum peoplePage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Still, some of my own posts look bad even to me. Could it be that just words creates an uglier persona than overall demeanor?

I think the forum brings out more negative thoughts / views than positive ones, sure. Because the forums aim on problems/issues. Not "I got a date! I know exactly what to do, too!", ya know?

It's more like "I finally got a date and this guy/gal went to the bathroom and never came back. I know I weight 50lbs more than my pictures, but what I did I say or do that was so wrong on the date??"
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/18/2018 3:24:31 PM

plus doxxed on social media & via snail mail

This is alarming.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/18/2018 8:15:44 PM
I only pop in once in a while now. I have a man in my life, lucky he found me online. If I can't sleep I sometimes browse the forums. Many of the regulars now were on here when I was dating and struggling 3 or 4 years ago. During that time I participated in many threads. Looking back on it, I must have been very lonely then, because it wasn't a very friendly place to me. I did feel people were often mean to others, and to me. Frequently I was treated as a joke or something because of my age. You know, cobweb comments, etc.

I do try to give profile advice still, because I believe improving my profile worked for me. Even that can be difficult. I tell people what I think will help, and often they snap back.

It's a tough life, especially if you are lonely.
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 8:20:35 AM

I've seen teenage sites where they behave better than the peeps here.

In the mid 1990s I was on some local BBS systems. Many of the posters in message areas were teenagers. Typically the rudest, worst behaved posters on the message boards were "old", over 30. Some of the teenage guys who posted did so with such maturity and intelligence, I thought they were adults until they posted something indicating their age, for example they eventually mentioned their high school. One poster got so angry about one of my posts, he sent me a death threat in BBS email. The sysop viewed his stats and told me the attacker was 36 years old (seemed ancient to me at the time because I was in my mid 20s).

On POF forums, some of the shortest tempers are by elderly posters. One who is way over 60 years old regularly posts hyperbole such as "That's the craziest thing I've ever read" or "That's the worst profile I've ever seen" in response to things that aren't too much out of normal. An old hag who is probably nearly 70 posted misandrist violent wishes against me.

Some people think medications bring out the worst behavior in people. The older a person is, the more medications they probably take. Some people tried to rationalize the Las Vegas geezer terrorist gunloon's massacre by saying he was on meds. Meds should never be an excuse.

As to forumites behaving worse, the better behaved, socially superior people are too busy doing things in real life while the outcasts have more time on their hands to flame people online.
 hemingway234
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 10:43:05 AM

There is oftentimes lots of behind the scenes shenanigans regarding forum regulars. In the past I have got snarky messages from sock puppets, plus doxxed on social media & via snail mail. A few years back a very sweet gal from Michigan told me that there was a small group of people, mainly women who were a "nuking committee" she even threw out a few names & another nice woman, a forum regular, also confirmed it.

- Some years ago, my ex was stalked online (it was nothing to do with this forum).
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 12:16:15 PM
msg#29:
On POF forums, some of the shortest tempers are by elderly posters. One who is way over 60 years old regularly posts hyperbole such as "That's the craziest thing I've ever read" or "That's the worst profile I've ever seen" in response to things that aren't too much out of normal. An old hag who is probably nearly 70 posted misandrist violent wishes against me.

Ya, we old geezers pretty much hate everybody~
(Smile)
 spot4username
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 12:26:48 PM
^^^

Get off my lawn!!!!!

And all of you turn down that noise you call music!!!!
 whiterose0
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 1:26:52 PM

On POF forums, some of the shortest tempers are by elderly posters. One who is way over 60 years old regularly posts hyperbole such as "That's the craziest thing I've ever read" or "That's the worst profile I've ever seen" in response to things that aren't too much out of normal.

If you considered it "not too much out of normal" for a man to create a profile review thread asking why only overweight women viewed his profile, you might think some of the responses from the women were out of line. Methinks you might be biased.
 hemingway234
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 1:53:04 PM

And all of you turn down that noise you call music!!!!

- You durn kids and your rock 'n roll music!!
 daynadaze
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 6:23:01 PM
I would not go to an opinion site to seek sympathy, they are going to give you opinions. There are sites that are better suited for helping people through suffering. It is not because people here are mean, we have trolls for that, it's that this is the wrong site for what you were seeking.
 MsMicki
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 7:21:00 PM

Get off my lawn!!!!!

dayum....I said this today!! LOL
mind you....it was a big ass flat bed with a dozen logs on it (guy behind me has a sawmill) and we just had over 6 inches of rain in 2 days last week....
sucker cut right across my front yard and left a 6 inch deep rut!!
I foresee a big ole' rock going up in that corner!!
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 10:50:46 PM
Forum People, I want to be remembered as the John Belushi character at the toga party where he is always getting into trouble right after he does the double eyebrow twitch and sinister smile. toga, Toga, TOGA!!!!
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/19/2018 11:06:33 PM
I guess you are talking to me. I wasn't looking for sympathy. More like expecting some camaraderie.
Once I posted something about a date I had, got a response from a forum regular who was usually thoughtful and intelligent. The response was something like "be grateful anyone would even consider me." As if being over 60 renders me totally hopeless. So, yeah, that felt mean. And my question or concern, don't recall exactly what it was, never got any discussion.

I think anyone on here who is actively looking for a relationship is likely to be lonely. I was lonely and struggling to figure out the OLD thing. My friends in real life were no help as none of them had any experience in OLD. So relieved I don't have to try and meet someone from here anymore.

I would not go to an opinion site to seek sympathy, they are going to give you opinions. There are sites that are better suited for helping people through suffering. It is not because people here are mean, we have trolls for that, it's that this is the wrong site for what you were seeking
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/21/2018 9:37:22 AM

Forum people

Are they worse than people in general?

No, equally problematic.

I mean, in the world outside the forums there are wars... There are people shooting one another..

Highly problematic.
Poor decision-making by leaders and those who support them.

enlightened beings

Thank you.
But I'm only 1 person.
No need for plural.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/21/2018 8:06:55 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you, Strawberry Jello. If we're lucky, we will all live to get beyond age 60, and our needs are really no different than those of people who are 40, or 50. Respect and companionship....that's not too much to ask at any age.
 CBGB77
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Forum people
Posted: 9/22/2018 7:28:04 AM

Posted By: blacklady1953 on 9/21/2018 10:06:55 PM
Subject: Forum people
Message: I'm sorry that happened to you, Strawberry Jello. If we're lucky, we will all live to get beyond age 60, and our needs are really no different than those of people who are 40, or 50. Respect and companionship....that's not too much to ask at any age.

Yep,there is life after 60,even if your only friends are online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JmO2OGiB2k
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Forum people