Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Leaving POF for eharmony      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purplerider1200
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmonyPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Bondsman? The one I knew was sorta private. I wouldn't have messed with him, and he was armed at times. With new people, he didn't broadcast that he was a bondsman. More like, he wanted to keep a low profile just in case someone recognised him.

To each his own.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/18/2018 6:19:00 PM
You smoke, and ya think ya want to get women 1/2 your age. Best be bringing the Money honey cos that will be a big turn off for a bunch of women.
The gun/law enforcement likely to work in your favor, as will height.
 oldwxman
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/18/2018 6:44:10 PM
*You smoke, and ya think ya want to get women 1/2 your age. Best be bringing the Money honey cos that will be a big turn off for a bunch of women.

Actually, I found the opposite to be true. Women who smoke only want other smokers. On top of that, women who smoke are more likely to be the OP's type. My last girlfriend came off of POF. She only messaged smokers. It didn't matter to her that I was crippled. It didn't matter that I was a commitment phobe. What mattered was that I smoked and made no bones about it.

And in my experience, what they say about women who smoke really is true. :)
 backcreek7
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/18/2018 7:19:44 PM

I fog up when I hear a sentimental song

^^^ Well oldwxman sir, I figure ~ anyone who has fresh cut flowers in vases, all over their house ~
........ has got to be a tender soul. Not only that but > to fog up when a sentimental song comes on , seals the deal with me.
....... So, in your honor my friend ~ A song for you ( play it on youtube & and DON"T TEAR UP > ifn you kin help it !

*lyrics > " I would rather be dead and six feet in my grave ..
................ I would rather be dead and six feet in my grave ..
................ Then to be way up here honey, treated this way ..

' CYPRUS GRAVE BLUES' by Skip James ( 1931 ) turn it up ^
heart / sun
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/19/2018 6:50:28 AM
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!

Smokers and gunloons are extremely common in the state of Misery (they misspelled the name of his town, dunno whether POF auto generates the town from the zip code so the misspelling is POF's fault).

Smoking makes people look older, so a 54 year old smoker will look even older compared to the 24 year old girls he seeks. However, 24 year old female smokers (and methheads and heroin junkies) will also look older for their age.

The dirty cartoon with references to sodomy has the Facebook logo. Facebook has "adult" sections?

Having an image of just a gun suggests a Freudian attempt to compensate for inadequacies in other areas.

I wonder how many people won't join POF or won't pay for an upgraded membership as a result of the OP doing everything he can in his power to boycott the site?
 daynadaze
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/19/2018 9:52:21 AM
That's what I wonder, why would you make a whiny post about POF, just leave. What is your point?
 PennyAnte
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/19/2018 12:28:24 PM
Mr. Bond did you think that 40 year old women or younger would be throwing themselves at you if not for POF's unfair age limit?

I say don't spend anymore money on a dating profile. You need psychiatric care. Save your money for the meds. What do you have to offer beyond being a narcissist wannabe thug?

I'm not trying to be cruel. This is called a reality check and you need a check up from the neck up!
 dpwesu
Msg: 33
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/20/2018 11:00:09 AM
thank you for your public service announcement.......good luck to you!
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/21/2018 5:27:00 AM

Strat...

You do have to consider national differences.
Bail bondsmen in the US is a perfectly legitimate occupation that can pay quite well.
Sure, it's illegal in Canada (and a whole lot of other countries) but a bail bondsman performs a useful service that - if I understand correctly - must be performed by the individual (gathering a lot of money to ensure court appearance) in Canada.

My gangsta comment was based on this question asked of me by another Canadian

You don't think they would be impressed with one of his profile pics of a handgun or the cartoon about a penis?

NO, I don't have to take that into consideration. This is a international forum, my comment would stand for many who read this. Regardless, anyone who flashes pics of a gun is just trying to shout "look at me, I'm a tough guy". The toughest guy I ever knew never felt
the need to advertise. He simply said, "Im a lover, not a fighter".

Toting a gun simply makes you armed

From here it makes you look dangerous and stupid. Wanna be gangsta.
 TomásIasan
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/21/2018 9:06:14 AM
Too each their have fun on eharmony.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/22/2018 8:17:48 AM
Actually, I found the opposite to be true. Women who smoke only want other smokers. On top of that, women who smoke are more likely to be the OP's type. My last girlfriend came off of POF. She only messaged smokers. It didn't matter to her that I was crippled. It didn't matter that I was a commitment phobe. What mattered was that I smoked and made no bones about it.

And in my experience, what they say about women who smoke really is true. :)

^^^
not with a person who smokes, but i have lost count of smokers who hit on me. I have allergies, and a smoker is not a viable option (for me)
 captainkitty1
Msg: 37
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/23/2018 9:45:51 AM
Wow, so you spent a whopping $38.70 for 3 month subscription....can't wait to see your anger towards the much higher cost of Eharmony when women don't want to date some one old enough to be their dad
 ohenryx
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/23/2018 1:10:29 PM
I remember a lot of years ago (2010?), I tried to sign up for eHarmony. I answered about 10 billion questions, only to have them turn me down. What, they don’t take perverts? Who knew? (smile)

Messages this short may not be posted
 purplerider1200
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/23/2018 3:09:05 PM
I've never gone to eharmony. From what I gathered about that site, it's important to be church-oriented. That's puzzling. Why join them, if a person is active in a church?

They wouldn't take an old heathen like me anyway. I've tasted alcohol, been to a strip bar, missed going to church once, and know what all the dirty words mean. I've EVEN participated in sex for something other than pro-creation.

It's a wonder I never went blind.
 PollyR107
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/23/2018 5:36:46 PM
OP, please come back and give us feedback on how well it goes for you on eHarmony.

Just curious, lol.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/23/2018 5:47:06 PM
with the o.p. leaving, will pof still make a go at it or are they closing shop?
 captainkitty1
Msg: 42
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/24/2018 4:49:21 AM
OP, might want to try a free trial with Match, before spending any more $. Check out the vast number of men between 50 and 70 years old wanting to date some one much younger, then check out the women in your preferred age range and see what their preferred age range is...I can tell you right now...they don't match!
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/29/2018 9:17:17 AM
So what I've gathered from this thread is that age is much more than just a number.
Those who quit smoking now hate smokers because of the chance they may start up again
and that one doesn't even need to read ones profile to be called a misogynist.Very good!
 Coma_White
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/30/2018 12:50:57 AM
Is that Mr. Lahey?
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 9/30/2018 11:19:00 AM

So what I've gathered from this thread is that age is much more than just a number.
Those who quit smoking now hate smokers because of the chance they may start up again
and that one doesn't even need to read ones profile to be called a misogynist.

It’s a jungle out there :)
 flyover_boy
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 10/2/2018 11:58:31 AM
Mr. Bond...

OK...so jumping over the eHarm side. Not a bad move and, if you play your cards right, might very well find it not only more rewarding but more successful. I and others can attest. However, given your current pictures, profile look and attitude, you are still fighting an uphill battle.

I get it, the POF age restrictions bite. We know. And, apparently you didn’t lie about your age...you’d hardly be the first or last person of either gender to do so, some advertise that fact right on their profile. And, age lying exists on eHarmony too. But, beyond that, you want to date younger...substantially younger. I hear you, me too. It upsets some, but that’s their problem not yours. I’ve been on the eHarmony boards and it is a topic which comes up, usually with women, ‘...What happens to my matches, as soon as I turned 40, they dried up.’ The problem with sites like POF, unlike eHarmony, YOUR preferences are public, where they are not on eHarmony. I believe having preferences public has a negative impact.

But...beyond all of that, let’s get to it. Your pictures suck, simply put. No full body, three don’t have you in them at all. As I continously say on women’s profiles, I don’t need pets, objects or cartoons. While funny maybe to your guy friends or at a party where you know people and allow for your interpretation/delivery, it doesn’t work on a dating profile, and it won’t (if they allow it) work on eHarmony either. The tone of your profile isn’t great either. I’m not a fan of essay profiles and with eHarmony there are fielded responses and an essay isn’t needed. But, there is a place to put such response. Word to the wise here, lose the tone you have here. Being more friendly, light and fun goes a lot further than...NO GAMES ! Yes sir !!

Now...your geography. Rural America is tough for OLD. You think it’s hard on an open site like POF, where anyone with your profile link can see your profile, places like eHarmony, you can ONLY communicate with matches. I lived in Missouri for a time, years ago. It was SW not NW and the furthest I ever drove was KC. But, it’s very sparce up there. Your local pool is limited, and with matching services it will be VERY limited. My guess, you’ll have to reach out miles...150, maybe more. Maybe even hitting the regional states, i.e. Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa. You’ll have to up your game. Be proactive. Most single women in the age bracket you’re looking at, live closer to the cities, so you’ll be driving there. Maybe do weekend trips. Unlikely they’ll drive out to the sticks for a first meet with you.

And...you have the option of opening up to the whole country and pick countries too. It is the Internet and that’s global. Besides cells, there’s apps and Skype. Get to know MCI, and I’m not talking about the phone company. Join Southwest and Delta milage programs (maybe join Delta’s club if you think you’ll be flying a lot). There’s one guy here who met a much younger Filipino woman on eHarmony. And I’ve dated Internationally too, but that’s a different step. Sticking to the US, long distance is a challenge and requires patience. That’s the big piece of advice I’d give you. You have to be the patient fisherman, don’t tell me about the results after the first week or first month, you have to give it time.

Give it your best shot. You will have a shot.
 markjohnson1963
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 10/3/2018 11:59:40 AM
If he's paying to be here then he should be able to talk to anyone willing to talk to him... I'm sure women here have filters if they don't want to be contacted by someone older... Some women would prefer older men, so what business is it of this site, who talks to who?? Jmo..
 ohenryx
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 10/3/2018 5:44:00 PM

If he's paying to be here then he should be able to talk to anyone willing to talk to him... I'm sure women here have filters if they don't want to be contacted by someone older... Some women would prefer older men, so what business is it of this site, who talks to who?? Jmo..

Item 1, very few people are paying to be here. This is a free site (for most of us, anyway).

Item 2, Markus Frind sold this site to the Match Group for $575 million. They would probably part with it for $650 or $700 million, so why don't you just pony up the bucks and then you can set the rules however you like?

Very few people here are in favor of that particular rule. Most flat don't care, as it doesn't affect them one way or the other, and among those who do care or notice, most are opposed. But Markus was famous for NOT giving a flying F* what any of the users thought. It was his site, and he did whatever he wanted with it. It's still rather amazing to me how successful he was, given that attitude.

It seems that Markus originally implemented the rule because it was hard to set age limits on the smart phone app. Everything is harder on a smartphone. Which is why Tinder and Bumble decide for you. You just sign up, write a few words (or no words) -- I do believe both Tinder and Bumble automatically add "no hookups" on every woman's profile (smile). And that's it, you're in business. And Markus wanted POF to be as easy on a smart phone as Tinder.
 daynadaze
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 10/3/2018 7:03:07 PM
That's the about a site, the owner sets the rules, not the users.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Leaving POF for eharmony
Posted: 10/3/2018 7:36:00 PM
Some don't realize that any site is technically being run like a benevolent dictatorship. They allow you on, but you can get tossed off for any reason or whim.

Believe it or not, NASCAR is that way. They are privately owned, and the France family have controlling interest. A driver can get booted out for any reason. Back in the sixties, they gave Curtis Turner the gate for trying to unionize the drivers. He was one of the most popular drivers at that time. But it didn't matter to Bill France Sr. He got banned, and there was nothing he could do about it.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Leaving POF for eharmony