Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guys searching for you on FaceBook, etc., without asking & before you      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AdjBattle
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Guys searching for you on FaceBook, etc., without asking & before you have metPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I've had this. People I speak to on dating site popping up on my reccomended friends because they have been searching for me.

I don't like it but there is a growing trend that deems it ok to snoop on your social media as being normal in society. One area this is apparant is in jobs hiring and firing. I read up on it and its usual current HR practises are to investigate your social media before hiring you and scoring your application lower even if they can't access your profile or find a profile.

I think it has alot to do with our current culture of finding things about people to disqualify them from loving or working for us. I say keep the mystery! The time I found a girl on facebook before meeting her (she wanted me to add her) reading her posts only made me like her less.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Guys searching for you on FaceBook, etc., without asking & before you have met
Posted: 11/9/2018 8:17:52 PM

I read up on it and its usual current HR practises are to investigate your social media before hiring you and scoring your application lower even if they can't access your profile or find a profile.

Haha, at almost forty that's not my kind of employer.
 cooldog65
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2018 8:46:32 PM

I read up on it and its usual current HR practises are to investigate your social media before hiring you and scoring your application lower even if they can't access your profile or find a profile.

Wouldn't that be a form of job discrimination?
 AdjBattle
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2018 5:16:09 AM
Unfortunately I don't think it is as its not used to find out race, gender etc. Here is an article that goes over the figures https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2377-social-media-hiring.html . Some of the big ones are 50% of bosses wont interview you unless they can find a profile for you and 48% of bosses continue to keep tabs on their employees even after hiring them. I wonder how many of these people that snoop on their potential partners work in HR?
 Carnival_Fishing
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2018 7:15:31 AM
Lots of luck to any employer trying to find information on line about me, since I'm not on Facebook, Linkedin, or any place else like that. If an employer won't hire me because of that, that's fine with me. I wouldn't want to work for someone who feels my personal information should be made public-other than e-mailing my resume to a potential employer.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2018 7:48:11 AM
Yup, what Carnival Fishing said.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2018 7:48:20 AM
"wouldn't that be a form of job discrimination?"

>>>only if they get caught. let's say someone is looking to get hired, and the company looks up their facebook announcement they are pregnant...and decides not to hire someone who's going on maternity leave in nine months. that's not legal, but hey, how do you prove it without an email saying, "just saw announcment, what about that other candidate?" if you read some of the online articles about using social media, you'll see mentioned that some candidates get blackballed when there is no trace of them online. now that lawsuits against firms based on employee behavior are on the rise, can we blame a company for wanting to make sure?

some will blame them...but its still a good idea to clean up one's presence on the 'net. the whole internet world has turned into small town gossip--except sometimes the TMI is our fault :)
 ohenryx
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2018 8:58:33 AM

According to a 2018 CareerBuilder survey, 70 percent of employers use social media to screen candidates during the hiring process, and about 43 percent of employers use social media to check on current employees.

Interesting. And a bit scary. If I were younger, this would concern me, greatly. Also make me more cautious about my use of social media.

But then what about that idiot who wore the absolutely horrific t-shirt to the polling place in Mississippi, and then lost his job over the resulting publicity. He sounds (and looks) like someone who probably needs to be locked up before he walks into a country-western bar and shoots 12 people. And then all his neighbors say, “He looked perfectly normal to me.”
 Rumours
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/10/2018 9:15:14 AM
I agree with it to an extent....If you put it out there and people can read it/see it...fair game.
If a person has used the same picture on here as on their Facebook account...it will show up through a google image search. Then if they haven't used proper settings to block others...they can read your page/profile.
I know my Facebook page is locked down to the public but many people don't use the settings that they should.
There are pros and cons to using social media.

I have google imaged lots of mens pics...not to creep their private life but to see if they're even real.
I have turned in lots of scammers.
 lnitia
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2018 11:18:13 AM
Nobody but friends and family i know pretty well or have some special rl memories with are on my fb page-and collecting fb fans and followers is not my thing- often men from dating sites who do this have very few public post and often recently added or updated- i kindly inform those i will message them but will not accept friend request-typically hear no more from them- those in my fb groups who have seen my fb posts to those groups, typically, maintain conversations-yet often those with two thousand friends who send a friend request are not interested in messaging- only amassing more friends lol
 AdjBattle
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2018 5:24:32 PM
Yeah theres an element of it being supposedly being about protection. Really social media is just a way for businesses to find out what to sell us or sell our information to HR companies with the byproduct being letting exs and potential partners stalk you. All so you can keep in touch with some friends from school?
Posted: 11/11/2018 2:31:44 AM
I had a member of the opposite sex ask me my ethnicity on FB.

It creeped me out!
 MtRushmore1970
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2018 6:39:47 AM
You can also set your Facebook profile to not be indexed in search engines as well.

Also, I would suggest not adding your phone number or e-mail address to your profile. It may be cool so your friends know how to contact you by other means, but stalkers can look for people by searching for e-mail addresses and phone numbers in Facebook search.
 HUMHUMA
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2018 3:15:57 AM
Exactly why you should have a screen name and not let who-ever know your real identity....these days you have to be security minded....once you feel comfortable knowing these people them you can move on......this isn't a fairy tale world anymore Dorothy!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guys searching for you on FaceBook, etc., without asking & before you have met