Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > A man's actions are the key variable that determines whether a relati      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MsMicki
Msg: 452
view profile
History
A man's actions are the key variable that determines whether a relationship survives or failsPage 19 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

Ms.Micki not everyone chooses to be harsh due to other influences which can affect their behavior.

Still a choice on whether or not to hit that "post" button...
 whiterose0
Msg: 453
view profile
History
A man's actions are the key variable that determines whether a relationship survives or fails
Posted: 11/28/2018 10:07:14 AM

This is white supremacy. This is colonization. White people entering a foreign land under the guise of caring to turn people into followers of the white peoples god and life.

The man killed was not white.
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 454
view profile
History
A man's actions are the key variable that determines whether a relationship survives or fails
Posted: 11/30/2018 5:11:46 AM
^^^My friend's post was partially about supporting indigenous tribes/stopping Tribal Genocide, not petty, hair-splitting digs.
Posted: 11/30/2018 6:49:17 AM

My friend's post was partially about supporting indigenous tribes/stopping Tribal Genocide, not petty, hair-splitting digs.

Just consider where it's coming from and chuckle to your self. BTW welcome back!
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 456
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2018 7:07:51 AM
^^ TY u 2, Happy Holidays & nothing but sunny "skies" ahead ;0)

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 whiterose0
Msg: 457
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2018 12:16:49 PM

My friend's post was partially about supporting indigenous tribes/stopping Tribal Genocide, not petty, hair-splitting digs.

This isn’t a petty hair-spliting dig. I simply disagree with you. Like you, I'm entitled to my opinion. First of all, your “friend”, Caitlin Lowery was projecting her own selfish motives for doing missionary work onto John Chau. Just because she did it for ego gratification purposes doesn’t mean he felt the same way.

Secondly, I believe her bringing white supremacy into the equation was off base. John Chau was not white; he was brown-skinned. He would have been killed no matter what skin color he had. I’m not saying he didn’t make an error in judgment by going to North Sentinel Island, but that didn’t mean he had selfish reasons for doing so.
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 458
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2018 1:27:28 PM

Just consider where it's coming from and chuckle to yourself

Yes, some things never change.

In order to maintain the snarkety-snark you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
 2ufo
Msg: 459
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 8:36:17 AM
ALL missionary work is done for ego gratification.

ETA: Not gainsaying these people can be brave, diligent, intelligent, determined, etc.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 460
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 9:03:29 AM

THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ just reminded me of something. LOL.
When I was a child, going to church, one of the songs we sang, was about what a child could be when they grew up. There are 4 options. A doctor, a nurse, a teacher and a missionary.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 461
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 9:24:08 AM
^^^
THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ just reminded me of something. LOL.
When I was a child, going to church, one of the songs we sang, was about what a child could be when they grew up. There are 4 options. A doctor, a nurse, a teacher and a missionary.

THIS^^^^reminds 'me' of the movie The African Queen starring among others Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart---when Rose mutters breathlessly to Charlie---'oohhhhh Mister Alnut' as he strips off his shirt...

hahahaha

(maybe include it in the 'missionary sex scene' in the book we're conjuring?)
(Smile)
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 462
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 9:33:35 AM
"ALL missionary work is done for ego gratification."

>>>nine times out of ten, if you plan to do something for an adult who never asked you to do it...you're doing it to make yourself feel better.

missionaries would do far better selling their product to willing audiences.

alas, Christopher Hitchens had little nice to say about Mother Teresa. but i'll agree with July's point, the church could do more good selling its paintings and sculptures and spending the money to help the poor. Jesus seemed to spend most of the New Testament helping the poor and telling the Jews they were hypocritical, not trying to spread Judaism to those not already engaged in it.
 julystorm22
Msg: 463
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 9:39:47 AM
The emphasis should be on doing God's work (caring for the poor, the sick, the downtrodden) rather than conversion. Like Mother Theresa who with her order cared for people regardless of religion and did not set out to convert them. But help must be wanted, not forced upon.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 464
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 11:26:15 AM

The emphasis should be on doing God's work (caring for the poor, the sick, the downtrodden) rather than conversion. Like Mother Theresa who with her order cared for people regardless of religion and did not set out to convert them. But help must be wanted, not forced upon.

I can't help thinking THAT truth is more Darwinism (Evolutionary) thinking than ANY organized religion wants to admit.
Identify a need, and adapt to it - and people will come.

Men adapting to women's needs may very well mean being the caretaker while Mom earns the bread -- but you cannot force a total evolutionary change in patterns of thinking in the same way. We are clever apes, to be sure - but still apes. Someone getting delusions of grandeur and walking into a death trap is pretty much how nature takes care of itself. No different than trying to build a jet pack in your backyard or self-medicate your way to health with some tree leaves. The smartest eventually survive.
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 465
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 3:10:32 PM

BINGO

In order to maintain the highest quality RELIGION you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
 whiterose0
Msg: 466
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 9:36:01 PM

Well, to be technical, all people have egos that need to be gratified – not just missionaries. I’m not going to demonize missionaries, because I believe many really do get into it for altruistic reasons. Some missionaries believe they had a “higher calling” from God, and they are doing good.

nine times out of ten, if you plan to do something for an adult who never asked you to do it...you're doing it to make yourself feel better.

Many people, missionaries included, feel better when they think they are helping others feel better. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. It can be a mutually rewarding experience for both parties.

missionaries would do far better selling their product to willing audiences.

I agree that missionaries shouldn’t attempt to force their religious beliefs on unreceptive audiences. John Chau made a fatal mistake. I don’t think he represents the thinking of all missionaries, though. Not all of them are into prophesying. Many missionaries do humanitarian work, serving in education, medical care, peacemaking, and other positive endeavors.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 467
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2018 9:45:05 PM
Missionaries often come from communities where prophesying mission work is encouraged, expected, or required. Teenagers get sent on "mission trips", I'm willing to bet it's often their parents' decision. The thinking of these people is highly influenced. I've been attracted to church all my life and I take religion very seriously, and I have issues with those missions that blatantly disregard the will of the people to whom they witness. People have been known to walk into synagogues and "witness" to Jews... Missions going to Catholic and Orthodox countries treating them as if they are pagan... No dear... these people ARE Christian, please don't go there to "bring the good news," that was done about 2000 years ago already and if you want details I will gladly tell you.

The type of mission work I respect is living your beliefs. I posted many times here about the Texas minister I met 2 years ago who turned my world upside down - he said he was a believer and he acted like a believer. Everything he said and did was good, correct and holy. That was stronger witnessing than anyone's yap yap yapping about faith!
 backcreek7
Msg: 468
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2018 10:10:35 AM

He said he was a believer and he acted like a believer

^^^ Although I don't follow any particular religion, I am able to recognize a good and decent person when I hear of them described so. In other words, he walked the walk ~ not just talked the talk. You were lucky to meet such a man, and he lucky to have met you, as well mahwah.

... Below is a song in his words, one in which I hope > describes your next love interest MW ..

*lyrics - " When the road gets dark, and you can no longer see ..
............... Just let my love throw a spark, and have a little faith in me ..
............... And when the tears you cry, are all that you can see ..
............... Just give these loving arms a try, and have a little faith in me ..
............... And when your backs against the wall, just turn around and you will see ..
............... I will catch you, I will catch your fall ..
............... Just have a little faith in me ..
HAVE A LITTLE FAITH IN ME by John Hiatt
> turn it up ^
love / life ( heart/sun )
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 469
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2018 10:56:07 AM
I agree with whiterose and mahwahgirl. I don't see the point in demonizing missionaries. Most are sincere and want to help people. I'd rank them with teachers, nurses, police, etc. Sure there are losers in any group, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
 lnitia
Msg: 470
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2018 12:54:35 PM
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/altruism/

Often surrounding death of others- I hear this "well it is important to go to the funeral- because I or another did so much for them- played an integral part in their life" "tried to help them" etc-Sometimes much is heard about the actual dead person or who they were as "having a failure to strive/thrive and embrace all this wonderful help given towards supposed benefit!" There have been many peoples throughout history annihilated/often genocide because the help/conquerors, determined "the Others" as lacking, inferior, etc..???

What one sees as blessing another?? IDK, it i is not for me to judge what is beneficial for another human being?? Certainly I offer what I can to others- but is it for their best interest? That is knowledge/wisdom i have not.. I know i am much more comfortable helping others when they state "i want (to accomplish-attain) said goal rather than I "have to/must/need to/should" accomplish a goal! When I see what I believe is another's need or should- it is time for me to re-evaluate my thinking process:

Y is it my business of other's needs beyond" Food/water/shelter/health"! the rest are "BONUS".. Even these basics, instigates many debates: HEALTH Family planning, birth control, Western medicine, immunizations, holistic care, natural remedies, pharmaceuticals, FOOD many choose specific foods-being vegan is fabulous, but when others are starving to death- why does the vegan believe"everybody" "need"/ "should" quit eating meat? WATER: When millions of people have no clean water-refusing to drink tap water/distilled- ???, SHELTER: Sustainable/ecological housing vs anything, It Goes on and on! Very basic issues, but many of the debates occurring are elite petty concerns, however, IT IS a tenuous tightrope to find sustainable living for over 7 billion people. WOW WOW- World overhaul time!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > A man's actions are the key variable that determines whether a relationship survives or fails