Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Im listening
Msg: 255
Why is smoking pot a crime?Page 5 of 60    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
""I'll have no choice but to commit another brutal murder. ""

U do wet work?
 Im listening
Msg: 257
Why is smoking pot a crime?
Posted: 8/30/2005 3:54:36 PM
Facinating!
Schizophrenia is diagnosed based on its symptoms, course of illness, and impairment. In the most recent Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR, American Psychiatric Association, Washington D.C., 2001), the diagnosis of schizophrenia requires a 1 month active period of symptoms (less if successfully treated) with two or more of the following: delusions, hallucinations, disorganized spech, disorganized or catatonic behavior, or negative symptoms (amotivation, lack of emotion, withdrawal). Including prodromal and residual periods, before and after development of active symptoms, the illness must have lasted at least six months, and be associated with significant social or occupational dysfunction. Finally, other causes of psychosis must be ruled out. In brief, schizophrenia is diagnosed when a person has severe symptoms of psychosis with marked impairment of function lasting 6 months or longer and not explainable by some other cause.

The above shows no medical tests

Please under I in no way dispute the *behaviour* your son exhibits only the diagnonstics used

worth a look! http://lampdirect.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30

http://www.stopshrinks.org/articles/ryley_logical.htm

My thoughts are with you in this trying time
D.
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 258
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:41:14 PM
I'mListeing: what medical "tests"do you need? this is exactly what I have been saying all along read up on how drugs trigger mental disorders and you will find that drugs, even pot have a traumatic effect to the brain wich can help to unleash underlying "dormant" mental disorders. Which means these people would probably never have manifested symptoms if it weren't for the use of drugs that triggered it. There are also proven studies that have found a direct correlation between pot and schizofrenia symptoms in some people.

Gees smoke all the blunt you want but I can't believe this silly thread is still trying to argue against some very valid facts...Forget about God, and morals and the government, just look at pure scientific facts. Shoot just look at some of the examples here on this very thread from real live people who have sited the negative effects of pot.

Hey I have never developed and addiction for smoking cigarettes and I will have A (as in1) smoke once in a blue moon, does that mean cigarettes are safe and won't cause addiction or lung cancer, or hear attacks, blood clotts, mouth cancer...etc? NO it doesn't!

get real man!
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 262
Posted: 8/30/2005 7:29:21 PM
^^^ did I say EVERYONE loses their marbles? did I not give a perfect example of that with my cigarette smoking example?

your example is as good as saying "I own a car and have driven for 10 yrs and have NEVER had an accident in my car therefore car drivers don't have accidents"

hey I also enjoy alcohol once in a while and I have been having drinks off an on since I was 16, I'm not an alcoholic and I could take it or leave it, therefore alcohol is totally harmless and in fact it's good for you, it makes you happy! you have to admit that is a really stupid statement, and that is how some people sound on this thread.

With that kind of reasoning who needs laws or guidelines!?!?
 Im listening
Msg: 266
Posted: 8/31/2005 8:14:13 AM
You end your silly little rant, sexyans brainy, with the admonishment “get real man!” and yet there is not an iota of reality (empirical evidence) offered within your first paragraph.
Your entire paragraph is a Non Sequitor

What medical tests are needed?

The type of tests that clearly demonstrate and support the guess work the witch doctors suppose. Up until now no such tests exist! If you will go back and not only read but grasp the fact that diagnosis in *mental health* issues is predicated on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition*.
My god! Woman the title is an oxymoron!

But seeing as you hold steadfast to observation a s a tool you will permit me on that basis to supply two observations of my own.
One:
I witnessed a friend perform complicated carburettor repairs in record time, run errands with flawless precision skills, do complicated account procedures all while smoking a standard sized tobacco pipe fully charged with Nepalese black temple hashish.
Two:
I have also witnessed a close friend wean himself off of mind-altering prescription drugs he was at one time forced, yes forced, to take as the result of severe brain trauma due to an automobile collision cause as a result of a pick-up truck t-boning him as it ran a stop sign.
My fried was able to wean him-self of the legal drugs by smoking copious amounts of pot as a self medication.
He is a lawyer and has written complicated briefs, had article published in law review books all done while under the influence of pot.

What came to my mind as I observed these incidences was “Wait a minute! This flies in the face of accepted knowledge and defies it! Isn’t this interesting…and what makes it so?”

I have no expectation you will accept any of what I present. It is either so foreign to your mind that you simply are not able to grasp it or, … well that goes deeper into supposition the I care to go.

*Diagnostic Criteria for the most common mental disorders including: description, diagnosis, treatment, and research findings. This list is a shortened version (incomplete) of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), published by the American Psychiatric Association, Washington D.C., 1994, the main diagnostic reference of Mental Health professionals in the United States of America.
 Im listening
Msg: 273
Posted: 9/1/2005 11:28:15 AM
My preference is to follow this part of the thread as it is more pro-active

Ritualisation a'la Joseph John Campbell and his obsevation on how modernday society is devoid of cuture ritual and Wade Davis the ethno botanist of "One River" and other books fame speak the importance of ritual
I see A "counter to " ritual filling the vaccuum

http://www.jcf.org/index2.php
 stresscookie
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:36:52 AM
I know that you seek responses from those who are against it's use - that I am not - but, I have done a bit of reading into the reasoning behind the prohibition of the substance in the early twentieth century...

The TRUTH about pot (hemp) is that it is likely the most useful plant the earth produces. It is a plant, that if it was again cultivated en masse, could completely replace the use of fossil fuels(biodiesel) and petrolium products (nylon, plastics, etc.), as well as trees for pulp and paper (1 acre of hemp would replace 4.1 acres of forest). It is naturally resistent to decay, has a high nutritional value, and countless medicinal uses (including as a treatment for asthma as breathing in the smoke causes the bronchial passages to open rather than close). The main reason why it was not initially used to produce fuel, plastics, etc. is because it was difficult to harvest, a labourious task that had to be performed manually - not appropriate for mass production.

In the late 1930's, just prior to the banning of "marijuana" (a Mexican coloquialism chosen for the express purpose of hiding the fact that they were banning hemp), a harvesting machine was invented. This posed a great threat to DuPont, and other wealthy corporations. Political pressure from both the petrochemical and pulp and paper industries was, and is, the real reason for the ban. Until that point, there were no issues with the use of the substance. Rather, it had been used and praised for its effective and numerous medicinal qualities.

If you would like to read an interesting and informative book on the topic, pick up a copy of "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer ... he has dedicated his life to liberating this incredibly useful, unfairly blacklisted natural resource.
 paddler
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 4:31:01 PM
Excellent post STRESSCOOKIE. You've nailed and nailed it well.
 darjeeling
Msg: 288
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2005 8:47:53 PM

.......i totally forgot what i was gonna post.....

darjeeling
 paddler
Msg: 289
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2005 8:52:50 PM
It's my understanding that for an act to be considered criminal that there needs to be an element of victimization or a threat to society as opposed to anti-social behavior that is dealt with by means of by-laws, etc.

In Canada the medical evidence regarding the health implications of smoking pot were examined and found to be no more harmful than smoking tobacco. Lawyers then argued that the government is limited in the amount that it can intrude into an individual's life.

While smoking pot maybe considered anti-social by some, it is certainly not criminal.
 singleone
Msg: 294
Posted: 10/4/2005 9:32:07 PM
I can't figure out why it's illegal. Pot has the weakest effects on the body than any other drug thats out there. I found out that if you have some Native American backrounds in you your allowed to use it in a special area. So if anyone wants to use it just say you have some Native American in you.
 TechnoBear
Msg: 302
Posted: 10/5/2005 12:55:05 PM
A few years ago I watched an excellent TV documentary about the history of pot in the states, and the hysteria generated by government agencies for political reasons. The documentary showed the progression of the promoted image using media from each decade. Of course, the funniest was of a man going mad from the movie "Refer Madness". LOL

The message has been so watered down now that all they seem to be able to say is that pot DOES KILL!!!!! (in the same way that alcohol kills car drivers). Fools.

I do remember that it said that there was one federal employee who launched an attack on pot for pretty nebulous reasons.
 TechnoBear
Msg: 303
Posted: 10/5/2005 12:56:48 PM
I remember a big advertising sign down in Austin, TX that says "Tolerate Freedom". What a powerful message that is.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2005 6:47:06 AM

You can lose your HOME here for one plant in the house.

If that were the case our government would own 30% or more of the houses in Canada. If you're thinking of seizure under the proceeds of crime legislation you'd be growing a lot more than 1 plant to be paying for your house not to mention tying up the police and judicial system.
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 316
Posted: 10/7/2005 7:41:53 AM
hahah to the people who say their "should" be "tough" anti-drug laws..

what about the DRUGS called 'alcohol'and 'tobacco', among others? prozac? thalidomide?

Alcohol& tobacco cause more than ten times the deaths and problems in North America than ALL OTHER DRUGS combined..

I guess becasue the alcohol and tobacco (poison) industries were large and established and made the "right" poitical connections & donations..?

Also, the "ethical drug" industry (pharmaceuticals) is not without problems; Merck, Pfizer, Abbot Labs, ETAL< are the biggest "drug pushers" we have around..

They would liek nothing better than to get EVERYONE 'hooked' on taking Prozac, Xanax, etc., etc..

"you need a drug to have a normal personality.."

And yes, let's ram drugs (Ritalin, etc..) down the throats of all our kids when they are "hyperactive" (read: being a normal kid, wanting physical activity, not sitting at a desk for hours..)

ah yes, but the "ethical" drug companies also make very large political donations to the "right " political parties..

the other drug business (pot, etc.) just hasn't been as organized..
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 317
Posted: 10/7/2005 7:49:37 AM
It is a crime becasue there are so many vested interests in KEEPING it a crime:

the 'anti-drug' movement is an INDUSTRY in itself, think of all the people who depend for their employment and income on it..

This is not to say it is "right" that these laws exist, just to say why so many would vehemently oppose any change:

Let's look at a few:

Police, judges, prosecutors, jail guards, defense attorneys..the entire DEA and "drug czars"..

If anti-drug laws were "liberalized" or God forbid, repealed to make things 'normal' (even just for pot), these people would lose their jobs and have to find something actually "productive" to do..
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 329
Posted: 10/9/2005 4:27:09 PM
that's crazy..

So give the same"penalty" for growing some Mother Nature as for murder, rape, etc.?

but let's make sure that people like Bernie Ebbers (Worldcom) who ACTUALLY stole billions of $ and really hurt a lot of people goes to a copuntry club jail for a few years..

A swindler like Ken Lay (of Enron fame) who ripped off $ billions gets no punishment because he's a friend of GWB's, made heavy contributions to the Republican party, and goes to church..

Kinda makes it seem that murder & rape are not that serious if you give the same penalty for that as for growing some pot..

(lump in a victimless "crime" like pot with rape, murder)

that kind of thinking is wacked..
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 332
Posted: 10/10/2005 7:59:16 AM
Kilmer 101, "Sieg heil!"
 SICutie
Msg: 334
Posted: 10/10/2005 8:14:46 AM
if the gov't grew pot we'd see the last of the sticky icky. ever had gov't cheese? the price would go up and the quality would go down. but that's just my guess

moonshine is alive and well in southern illinois. haven't seen it anywhere else but i'm sure it's there. tastes nasty though
 SICutie
Msg: 336
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:18:55 AM
comparing people to nazis is wrong.

weird and wrong

i thought smoking pot was supposed to take the edge off a little. personally i use nyquil but so be it
 SICutie
Msg: 338
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:33:26 AM
how can people argue over pot!?

you're all crazy

at least you're cute kilmer
 JDepp
Msg: 339
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:36:02 AM
Pot is not legal because it can break up more families than alcohol does.
Pot is not legal because it has very adverse side effects, more than any experimental drug (pharmaceuticals) on the market.
 SICutie
Msg: 340
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:40:26 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i don't use drugs but if you did, i would
 Fry Lock
Msg: 341
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:46:27 AM
Pot breaks up families? Sorry, but I need more info on that, please; my pothead friends never f****d up anything worse than a box of cereal, that I know of); pot was made illegal in the US in the early part of this century re: illegal aliens from Mexico; seems gov't thought, hey if we make this illegal, we can deport 'em no questions asked; got this tidbit of info from the History Channel program "Why Drugs are Illegal and How they got That Way"
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >