Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dantaylor27
Msg: 1403
Why is smoking pot a crime?Page 55 of 60    (20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60)
[mr. T, you should be in jail for a long time. using pot is a crime and you are a criminal]

yeah pot heads are hard core crimnals . i'll tell ya man your nothing if not the most arogant person i have ever met . but i must admit your comments make me laugh like something you would here one of the cops on reno 911 or super troopers say . lol . may i call you farva?
 rsx11s
Msg: 1404
Why is smoking pot a crime?
Posted: 1/30/2008 10:30:51 PM

people don't just wake up one day and start shooting heroin. they start off slow with pot and work their way up

While it's almost certainly true that peple who use heroin started with pot first, it does not follow that everybody who uses pot will use heroin.

Plus these are pretty heady words for a guy that runs a tanning salon. The link between tannning salons and skin cancer is fairly substantive:

http://www.google.com/search?q=tanning+bed+cancer

Wheras you will not be able to find, prove or demonstrate a causative link between smoking pot and heroin use.

So, in effect you get paid to make people sick, but complain about something that's been used as medecine for 10,000 years.

I live for ironies like this.
 dantaylor27
Msg: 1405
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:12:45 PM
[looks like we have a lot of miscrents out there. i hope you are busted soon for your illegal criminal behavior. our society does not want you. decent american citizens do not do pot, dope or other mind altering substances. people that do these are on the lower rungs of moral behaviour and our society should shun them. yuck! ]

dude where do you get this stuff? no seriously . it's classic . wow what did you go to school with george bush????joe arpaio ??? who it's funny stuff man .i mean iwould debate with you but i am so busy rolling on the floor . sgt . joe friday just the facts mam lol . dude i will give you one thing you are the funniest arogant ass hole i have ever met . lol
 Skydds
Msg: 1407
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:32:13 PM
decent american citizens do not do pot, dope or other mind altering substances.

Then society does not want you. You are a miscreant and a deviant person for drinking alcohol by your very own standards and definitions, please ignorance is more harmful to our society than pot ever will be.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1408
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:35:06 PM

people that do these are on the lower rungs of moral behaviour and our society should shun them.

Shun 70 million people ?

The obvious statistic not publicized by CASA is that most marijuana users - 83 percent - never use cocaine. Indeed, for the nearly 70 million Americans who have tried marijuana, it is clearly a "terminus" rather than a "gateway" drug.

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/gateway.html

That list would include :

Robert Altman
Bill Maher
Jennifer Aniston
Norman Mailer
Louis Armstrong
Michael Bloomberg (NY mayor)
George W. Bush
Johnny Cash
Winston Churchill
Friedrich Nietzsche
Francis Ford Coppola
Jimmy Dorsey
Carl Sagan
Pierre Elliot Trudeau
Thomas Jefferson
John F Kennedy
Steven King
George Washington
Ted Turner
William F. Buckley
Bing Crosby
Sam Donaldson
Richard Feynman (Noble prize winning physicist)
Newt Gingrich ( admitted he smoked in college)
{"That was a sign we were alive and in graduate school in that era."
1995 article The Economist)
John Hay (US Secretary of State from 1898-1905 - hashish eater)
Jack London
Margaret Mead
Frances McDormand
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Former US Secretary of Health and Human Services Donna Shalala
Aaron Sorkin
Montel Williams
Rodney Dangerfield
Don Ho
Gene Krupa
Jack Nicholson
Buddy Rich
William Butler Yeats
Groucho Marx
Bill Gates

And probably a lot of people that you know.....

Bunch of lazy do nothings .....

Yeah , the operating system you are posting on was brought to you by a "miscrent."

On the other hand, in the Europe, where it's treated as it should be ?

Marijuana consumption drops in UK despite liberalized laws.

Official British Crime Statistics show that Cannabis (Marijuana) use has fallen significantly since its controversial reclassification in 2004.

The latest Home Office figures which were published on October 25th 2007 show the proportion of 16 to 24-year-olds who had used marijuana in the past year fell from 25% when the change in the law was introduced to 21% in 2006/07

Liberal approach pays off as use of cannabis drops to 10-year low

Saturday, 14 October 2006

The popularity of cannabis has plummeted with 600,000 fewer people smoking or eating marijuana than three years ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/liberal-approach-pays-off-as-use-of-cannabis-drops-to-10year-low-420000.html

The Netherlands ?

The results of drug policy in Netherlands

In the Netherlands 9.7% of young boys consume soft drugs once a month, comparable to the level in Italy (10.9%) and Germany (9.9%) and less than as in the UK (15.8%) and Spain (16.4%)[citation needed], but much higher than in, for example, Sweden (3%), Finland or Greece. Dutch rates of drug use are lower than U.S. rates in every category. [9] The monthly prevalence of drugs other than cannabis among young people (15-24) was 4% in 2004, that was above the average(3 %) of 15 compared countries in EU.[1]

The reported number of deaths linked to the use of drugs in the Netherlands, as a proportion of the entire population, is lower than the EU average. but the relevance of this is unclear since the methods for registration differ from country to country. The Dutch government is able to support approximately 90% of help seeking addicts with detoxification programs. Treatment demand is rising.

Another effect is a problem with an extensive drug tourism from other countries. Drug tourists are in many cases excluded from the drug related statistics from Netherlands.

Criminal investigations into more serious forms of organized crime mainly involve drugs (72%). Most of these are investigations of hard drug crime (specifically cocaine and synthetic drugs) although the number of soft drug cases is rising and currently accounts for 41% of criminal investigations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

So as use increases in the US, as do arrests - they are going the other way and succeeding.
 designingwoman
Msg: 1409
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:43:55 PM
So, drunks who puke should be shunned too? Alcoholism is a health care issue, as is addiction to pot. Moderate users of alcohol and pot are no problem and do not belong in jail. People who have serious alcohol/drug problems belong in rehab, but they need to admit they have a problem in order to succeed at becoming sober/clean. Jail isn't the answer for someone smoking one joint a week. It's overkill!!

Prohibition didn't work back then when we outlawed alcohol. Organized crime got into it big time. We have not learned our lessons from history. If pot was legal, then there's one less outlet for the Mafia and other criminals. And, people who need to use marijuana to relieve the effects of chemotherapy should be able to do so. My Dad would be rolling over in his grave if he knew that medical marijuana was still illegal. He died of cancer and suffered in the last month of his life. My father was in favor of medical marijuana back in the late 70s and 80s. (He died in 1986).

As I've said before, child molesters, rapists and murderers are the ones who belong in jail, not the person who smokes an occasional joint. Now, if they were driving under the influence of pot or alcohol ( a legal substance BTW), then yes, I have a beef. But to me, someone who has a joint at home, and doesn't drive until the effects wear off should not be punished for doing the equivalent of having a glass of wine and a cigarette after dinner.

"Lighten up!" is what one of my old friends used to say.

For the record, I never have smoked marijuana but have been fortunate to not need it for medicine. I would refuse chemo unless I could toke to stop me from puking. Hopefully I'll never need it but if I ever do I hope that by that time pot is legal.
 rsx11s
Msg: 1411
I shot the sheriff
Posted: 2/1/2008 1:30:02 AM
Nobody grins like that without being on something. Come on, spill. Prozac? Ativan? ****itol? what? Come on coppertop you're among friends, you can tell us.

looks like we have a lot of miscrents out there. i hope you are busted soon for your illegal criminal behavior. our society does not want you. decent american citizens do not do pot, dope or other mind altering substances. people that do these are on the lower rungs of moral behaviour and our society should shun them. yuck!

decent american citizens do not do pot, dope

Really? Then why does your government import them directly?

http://www.archive.org/details/Gary_Webb2

Decent Americans die 50,000 a year in drunk driving accidents. It's the American way. something to do while those war profit checks roll on it.

But I did not shoot the deputy too. <--- sekret kewl druggie code. be afraid. be very afraid.
 rsx11s
Msg: 1418
Dude, where's my brain?
Posted: 2/1/2008 11:39:50 PM
Wow. A modern day version of "Reefer madness", just less factual.

like lemmings following one another off a cliff into the ocean

Lemmings don't actually dive off cliffs. That's a myth perpetuated by the Disney folks who drove a bunch off a cliff for a movie. Really. Look it up for yourself.

If "decent americans don't want dopers" then why is the trend toward, not awy from, decriminalization? Why? Because you're making stuff up. In fact eveything you said is true only in your sunburnt head.

I really do think you've been spending too much time in those tanning beds; UV mutates cells by damaging chromosomes - this is the pathway to the skin cancer it causes, but when this happens in the brain muddled thinking results.

I recommend some UV impervious head covering. A tinnfoil hat and face mask would work.

I see a great need.

It's illegal since it is a drug and causes crazy thoughts

Now look at the pictures in messgs 1451 and 1452 and tell me which ones is the poster child for "crazy thoughts".
 Skydds
Msg: 1419
Posted: 2/2/2008 1:50:11 AM
we're not talking about legal alcohol here. the subject is the illegal drug marijuana. thanks for trying to get off the subject. we're talking about your desire to use illegal substances that create another world inside of your heads. we're talking about your need to get away from the real world using illegal mind altering drugs. you need help, please get some.

Drugs and booze. Two steadfast allies of the dispossessed. They make you forget, time machines that offer unconscious passage into the future so that you can lose a day, or three, not having to deal with the reality of where you’ve ended up. Ten blocks uptown the city’s well-to-do scoff at it all while they hit the bars on the weekends and drink themselves silly of the city’s finer nightspots. The difference is that they have beds to break their falls at the end of the night. The difference is that they do it because it’s a socially accepted ritualistic endeavor. Escape is escape though, and ultimately everyone’s trying to escape something in the end. Admit it or not.
 dantaylor27
Msg: 1422
Posted: 2/2/2008 9:40:21 AM
[It's illegal since it is a drug and causes crazy thoughts in your head.]
nah you dont have to smoke pot for that just ask tomozzo.

[we're not talking about legal alcohol here. the subject is the illegal drug marijuana. thanks for trying to get off the subject. we're talking about your desire to use illegal substances that create another world inside of your heads. we're talking about your need to get away from the real world using illegal mind altering drugs. you need help, please get some. ]

i think you have another world inside your head dude . less tanning man it's affecting your brain .

[america doesn't want people like you in our society. we would all be better off without you. most decent americans feel this way about you lowly people who need to inhale the noxious weed and then work your way up the dope ladder until you become thieves, robbers and murderers. that is exactly why smoking pot is a crime. i only wish we had more jails to inter you sick people.]

how do you know what america wants ? do you have esp ? what weed smokers do you know are thieves , robbers and murderers? and who is going to pay for these jails? you?

[like lemmings following one another off a cliff into the ocean it would be glorious to see you gone. since that probably won't happen i'll just keep people like you as much out of my life as possible. but i still know you are out there. you are as irritating as a wad of gum on the bottom of my heel that i must, from time to time, scrape off and kick away into the sewer. good riddance to you. yuck!]

you were in dram werent you ? listen to you all sounding like shakespear . your momma must be proud . she didnt give you enough hugs as a kid did she ? sounds to me like you need to get laid man . maybe that will helpall that pent up hatered . lol .
your funny man .

rsx11s
Msg: 1426
Zig Zag or Rizla?
Posted: 2/3/2008 2:11:12 AM
They make you forget, time machines that offer unconscious passage into the future so that you can lose a day, or three, not having to deal with the reality of where you’ve ended up.

Yeah. Is that fucking cool or what?
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1427
view profile
History
Zig Zag or Rizla?
Posted: 2/3/2008 2:49:45 PM
The problem ?

You believe the propaganda.

I haven't heard anyone talk like that about marijuana since about...um...oh.....1954.

Again, look at places like the Netherlands and England. No "drug war against it" , and less people doing marijuana. Reduce the profit margin for dealers, and you make dealing a lot less attractive. Reduce the "illegal" aspect, and less people will be drawn to it.

That allows you to concentrate on the real problem, which are the highly addictive drugs.

At the same time, many of those "wasteoids" have done some good things for society.

Carl Sagan seems to have accomplished quite a bit in his life, and Newt Gingrich did too.

I won't even mention all those classic rock songs, and the industry they created that still runs today. How many people have jobs simply because of that ?

Early jazz ? It was part of the backdrop to most of it.

The hi-fi industry ? Well, guess where a great many of it's customers started to appreciate a great sounding stereo system.

The early computer kids ? The ones that created the computer industry as we know it ?

Before turning on their Commodore 64 , they were turning on themselves.
 rsx11s
Msg: 1429
Zig Zag or Rizla?
Posted: 2/3/2008 7:04:11 PM
i need it to be cool and relax

You can say that again.

Uh, it's a figure of speech.

As for Jazz musicians most of them from the 30s to the 50s were into Heroin. As late as the 80s they were still snapping out of it - Art Pepper for example. I'm still not sure about those black basketballs Mose Allison calls eyes.

Louis Armstrong smoked many many joints a day every day of his life until he passed away peacefully in his 80s in his modest house in New Jersey. You don't have a smile like that unless you have a tanning salon.

If it's time for a musical interlude I offer up a rare recording of Cab Calloway's "Reefer man":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D44pyeEvhcQ

Yeah yeah shaddup already.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 1430
Posted: 2/4/2008 5:17:58 PM
Interesting Documentary that will change some of your opinions.

It is called, 'The Union, The Business of Getting High|

its an industry like no other and the government is cashing in, not protecting us.
 designingwoman
Msg: 1432
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 6:10:59 PM
Thank you Deadhead for your clear and concise posts. I especially agree with you that rapists and murderers should be in jail for the rest of their lives--and potheads should be left alone. As Montreal Guy said, we need to focus law enforcement toward the much stronger and addicting drugs like crystal meth and heroin which result in violent and dangerous behavior.

There are people who also need marijuana for medical purposes, and should be allowed to relieve their suffering in this way. I for one would flat out refuse to do chemo if I needed it unless I could have medical marijuana to prevent nausea and vomiting. I would rather die than put myself in a position of vomiting. That's one of the reasons why I drink very little. I refuse to ever experience a hangover. The result of smoking pot does not include vomiting. I know people who use pot, and they are fine people. They have told me that after smoking a joint, the high wears off without that nasty hangover one gets from a drinking binge. Frankly, I'd rather be in a roomful of potheads than people getting trashed on alcohol.

Prohibition did not work when they tried that so long ago. History is not on the side of people who want to lock up people for using alcohol or marijuana. As one poster said, in the Netherlands where pot is legal, the useage rate is LOWER, and law enforcement personnel can devote more time to getting violent criminals such as rapists and murderers off the streets.

I am appalled by one of the posters' remarks, and the hatred directed at people who smoke marijuana. While I don't smoke it myself, I don't have a problem with people using it in the privacy of their homes.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 1433
view profile
History
Zig Zag or Rizla?
Posted: 2/4/2008 6:41:20 PM

wow man........a wastoid..........farout...... police blotter.....????

Wow, man....you're "factoids" are more than "farout"....their ancient history....kinda like a "police blotter"
Hey "dude"....how many lights were you under today? I think you need some of the "au naturel"....you know....sunshine!

Hemp lasts longer than cotton.

Hemp produces the same amount of paper fiber as wood, but using 1/4 the area.

Hemp is easy and cheap to grow.

Hemp has 0.000000% THC.

Most mainstream media.....hemp = pot.

Who owns the media?

Connect the dots. . . . . . .

rsx11s
Msg: 1434
Zig Zag or Rizla?
Posted: 2/4/2008 11:31:40 PM
According to the summary page the last poster is : 2/4/2008 10:15 PM by tomozzo

But that post is gone. I can't imagine why.

There are some people on this planet that should never smoke pot. Then there's others that need do burn one so bad it hurts.

._._._._._. <--- connected dots. now what?

Anybody wanna go for a pizza?
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 1435
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 3:22:32 AM

I have put a lot of thought into it, and I really can't think of even one good reason...

There is your answer. Thinking clearly gets kind of hard when you are high.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 1436
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 12:22:25 AM
Prohibitionary laws are nearly always targeted at various minority groups. Cocaine (1914) and marijuana (1934) prohibition were aimed at blacks. Opium prohibition (1875) was aimed at Chinese immigrants.

Some of us at freestateproject.org are working hard in New Hampshire to decriminalize marijuana. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to release dangerous criminals from prison in order to make room for pot smokers. We make the case to residents and elected officials, and we've even pulled a lot of activist groups together that would have atrophied otherwise.

I have spent a lot of time in the State House testifying against bad bills. The point is that you have to have a lot of activists working full time to make a dent in the legal structure. Meanwhile, people are sitting in prison for possession of pot, guns, etc., and we're having to pay $60-80,000 a year in some states to keep them behind bars.
 designingwoman
Msg: 1437
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 4:28:08 PM
^^^Good for you maxx for your efforts to shift law enforcement priorities to those who REALLY need to be behind bars like rapists, murderers and child molesters rather than a pothead. It's a huge waste of taxpayers' money to have nonviolent people behind bars for smoking a joint. Violent criminals are released early and given the chance to reoffend (and ruin more people's lives) to make room for locking up potheads who are simply smoking a joint--hurting themselves maybe but not hurting others. More people's lives are ruined by violent acts than from smoking an occasional joint.

With that said, just as driving while drunk is a crime and should be because it kills so many people, people who are driving stoned should pay the price for doing so.

I don't think people who smoke an occasional joint at home are any different than myself, a person who enjoys an occasional glass of beer or wine but am careful to not drive shortly after having had that drink.
 mr.amoree
Msg: 1440
Posted: 3/20/2008 6:48:57 AM
it's a crime because it makes you think stupid thoughts and act out stupid ideas.
wait, that's what having sexy thoughts about women you can't have will do to you.
oh well, both are for those out of touch with reality.
smoke dope and you go to jail. ok with me. hope it stays that way.

rsx ms 1452, if you are so hopped up on doing drugs why don't you admit to doing illegal drugs on your profile where it asks that question? why do you lie and answer "no"?
yes, you should be ashamed to admit it. you are an advocate of illegal dope smoking according to your past comments. amazing!!!!!
 packrat500
Msg: 1441
Posted: 3/23/2008 8:12:53 PM
maybe uncle sam just hasn't found a way to tax it yet.

blondbomber*
Msg: 1442
Posted: 3/24/2008 8:52:16 PM
Check your British history. Queen Victoria was prescribed cannabis from Turkey for her migraines. Was England ever more prosperous since her reign?
 GuitarFingers
Msg: 1443
Posted: 3/24/2008 8:55:46 PM
Because it is against the law?
 forum_moderator
Msg: 1448
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 5:09:04 PM

*- You're right. Time for everyone to go home, do...whatever it is you do, then have some cookies and chips and ice cream and watch some tv or play hackysack. Thread closed. -TheMadFiddler-*
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >