Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 howtosurvivechaos.com
Msg: 1315
Why is smoking pot a crime?Page 56 of 60    (20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60)
When DuPont patented nylon ... hemp was the rope used by everyone.

Hemp was made illegal so that Dupont could sell nylon.

Do you actually think that the government represents us?

We are just the herd they milk!

Wake up!

Unfortunately, it's too late...............................
 prolibertate
Msg: 1316
Why is smoking pot a crime?
Posted: 6/15/2007 11:30:04 AM

Talented people killed by drugs/alcohol:
Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Chris Farley, Marilyn Monroe, John Belushi, Elvis Presley, Anna Nicole Smith
Talented people killed by pot:
Tommy Chong, Cheech Marin, Snoop Dogg, Willie Nelson, Jack Black, Brad Pitt, Quentin Tarantino, Dave Chappelle, Method Man
Oh wait, those guys are still alive. It seems pot hasn't killed anyone.

These people all chose to take drugs; so they get to deal with the consequences... sometimes that's death, or as in your second set of celeb-idiots...they just get very, very stupid...Either way, choosing to take drugs isn't such a smart thing to do...but if one is going to do it, then they should do it in the privacy of their own home.
 prolibertate
Msg: 1319
Posted: 6/17/2007 3:03:07 PM
Trailsman...where do you get anger and hate out of what I posted? It's simply my opinion...I think anyone who takes illegal, mind-altering drugs is pretty stupid...and how they act on them proves it in most cases. Also, most of the celebs mentioned *didn't* live long enough to enjoy anything - Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison all died at 27...that's living long enough? And if you look at the ones today, I'd be surprised if many of them made it to their 30s also.

And, just to cover legal stuff, anyone who drinks to excess and gets sloppy - or worse, drives under the influence - is pretty stupid also...and being a cigarette smoker, yes, that's a pretty stupid habit I have myself.
 AvidArteest
Msg: 1325
Posted: 7/8/2007 12:08:58 PM
"Why is smoking pot a crime?"

Many possible reasons:

You could use it for medicinal purposes. Big pharma HATES competition.

It's an herb. The FDA has a goal to illegalize ALL herbs within a few years. Pretty scary thought there...

The gov. makes way too much money from the black market venues... watch the movie Air Americ(k)a for further proof...

The gov. doesn't want anyone to have too much fun (now I'm just clutching at straws)...

I don't even touch the stuff anymore, but I do respect it's benefits.
 AvidArteest
Msg: 1333
Posted: 7/10/2007 7:09:04 PM
"It is to keep the public busy thinking about things like drugs, so we don't think about the crooks in the white house."

Fairly accurate point...
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 1352
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2007 3:04:33 PM
It should be legal to smoke pot, process, or sell because the black market of illegal crime is created by the laws congress wrote. Decrimiaization of all drugs should be done because then you reduce the blackmarket, and then you reduce the payoff from criminals making profits from it, and makes it easier to treat people with drug addiction. Have each state set up a drug monoploy like they do for Liqouir in some states and allow them to sell drugs under controlled conditions. The drugs cartels will only die off with legalization because the profits are too high in the black market. Drug laws were written by the corporate prision industry, and putting more people in jail for drugs does nothing for society. Drugs are bad so is Alcohol, and tobacco, but to make it illegal just entices a blackmarket for those illegal products, and legalization of drugs with state monoploy of selling the drugs be better for society, and more people would probadly get help with addiction once you remove the criminal aspect out of the ilict drugs.
 fuckingassholethefirst
Msg: 1358
Posted: 7/28/2007 12:44:57 PM
Pot smoking is a crime because it keeps a large amount of currency out of sight of the revenue canada/central bank, which facilitates a lot of tax free transactions.

Also, it is illegal specifically for my personal financial gain, so that I can sell it to kiddies on playgrounds and make a lot of money. Also with it being illegal there is no quality control of the product, I can literally bulk it in terms of weight by spraying it with water. More easy money.

Sometimes the kids come and ask for the dope but all I have is some meth, or coke, or brown. But hey, thats ok since I can still hook it up, first sample is free kiddies. Aint prohibition great?

Now sometimes some little competition comes into my business turf, and of course that is totally unacceptable. No court can settle this dispute, so we settle the score the old fashioned way, with bullets and blades. Seems to work out ok, except when stupid bystanders get in the way. But hey, what can I say, cannabis prohibition is here to stay!

Thank god, cuz if I had to pay taxes on all this bread, I think I'd have to kill myself.
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 1378
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 9:41:07 PM
Legalizaiton of pot will free up police resources to take on criminals, and most people that smoke pot pay taxes. Legalization is the only way to win the drug war because too much profits to be made selling drugs. The goverment could legalize the drugs, and allow private companies the right to sell drugs in controlled settings, and have legal limits of the drug desired. Booze is dangerous as pot and more so because alcohol effects more areas of the brain in regrads to making simple judgements. Personally want drug laws similar to the nertherlands or else we will be still pissing money on a losing drug started by Nixon.
 SirIntegra
Msg: 1381
Posted: 9/6/2007 10:30:29 AM
Smoking pot is a crime to the GOVERNMENT because they can't tax marijuana freely like they can with tobacco. I am a fairly new stoner, only been smoking for about 4 years or so, and I have realized that pot has helped me with a lot of problems, from stress to ADHD. It has also helped my mother, who suffers from Crohn's Disease, Fibro mialga (I don't know how it's spelled!), Lupus, and Carpral Tunnel (Again, I suck at spelling.) Yes, I have tried harder things than pot before, but nothing gives me the same high consistency as marijuana. Besides, pot is cheaper than Riddlin and Adderol.
 kabiosile
Msg: 1386
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 3:24:21 AM
The facts are prohibition of any substance not only does not lower use it causes more crime. Organized crime would have to seek other sources of revenue if drugs were legalized. thus lowering crime significantly. Also the so called "war on drugs" kills more people than all the drugs put together. (including the legal ones.)

Let's not try and go there and say "we are trying to protect dumb people who can't think for themselves." First it is not the governments place to dictate what a person can or cannot do with their own body. second by making a law the people do not wish enforced begins the route to a police state. It is the only way to even dream of enforcing such an unenforceable law. (It will still fail even then.)

The only thing making a law like this does is cause the prices to go up ridiculously and cause more crime to happen from this rise in funds. It attracts more violent crime by being illegal.

Poverty is caused by allowing it's direct opposite to exist. (If you are going to allow filthy rich people the right to hoard money then you will always have poverty. The money that is hoarded by one is the money another man does not have. Capitalism unchecked is what causes poverty. It is just as dangerous as totalitarian versions of communism. It is extreme and unhealthy for a society. We need to move more towards the middle on this and a lot of these problems will ease off into non-existence if not rarity.

Drug addiction is often caused by boredom and unhappiness do to lack of opportunity. The drugs don't cause anything to happen. I am sick of people trying to blame substances for our problems. Ask any person who works a rehab they will tell you it is not the drugs fault it is a person who chooses to loose control and blaming the drug will not solve the problem one bit.

If it was the drugs fault every person who ever tries them would be helplessly addicted we would all be helpless addicts. This is not what happens at all, some loose control some dont. The victim mentality of oh poor me the big bad drug has got me, is the problem not the drug. The drug is what it is period! It is the human who chooses all the other choices and society currently allows people to blame all of their issues on drugs. What a crock of sanctioned irresponsibility. Also you name a few examples of drug addicted people in poverty. Far more people I know who do drugs are quite wealthy and successful. It has nothing to do with what they choose to do. By what you are saying you would have to blame the drug for their success too. In fact the drug has little to do with either success or failure. (unless you are selling them or busting people who are selling them. :P )

This has far more to do with your parents socio-economic standing and who you end up meeting in your life than what drug you do. If you are born wealthy you will have opportunities others will never see in their life. If you are born in poverty chances are very high unless you win the lottery, meet someone and make it big in the music industry, get great at sports , or get into organized crime which has always got its start from prohibition in this country, that you will die in poverty.

There are few opportunities for those who want out of the bottom rungs of the social ladder. You want the answer LACK OF HOPE! this is what feeds addiction, promiscuous sex etc. Add to the fact that people who sell drugs make a good amount of money because of their legal status BAM you have all the crime and gangs you speak about. It is the prohibition that is causing the problem not the use of the drug itself.

Read any study done into this and it always says that the prohibition of a substance causes far greater problems than the substance itself.

designingwoman
Msg: 1393
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2008 8:20:32 AM
Smoking pot should not be a crime. There are people who need it for medicinal purposes. My father was an advocate for medical marijuana a long time ago when he was in the Legislature, but he was unable to get the legislation passed to help sick people get the medicine that is best for them.

As long as you don't drive while high, then what's the beef? Its the same with alcohol. If you don't drink and drive, that's fine too! However, I'd rather be in a room full of people who smoke pot than a room full of falling down drunks puking all over the place (eeeewww). I never smoked pot in my life, but I have no problem with people doing so in the privacy of their homes.
 NwMke
Msg: 1394
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2008 9:55:26 PM

very simple; then the cia wouldnt make any money.

get rid of covert gov agencies then they will make it legal.

designingwoman
Msg: 1396
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2008 2:46:40 PM
I"d rather save the jail space for truly violent criminals such as murderers, rapists, and child molesters, so that they can be locked up for life with NO chance for parole, keeping them away from society for good rather than giving them a chance to reoffend. The occasional joint smoker is not the kind of person who needs to go to jail.
 designingwoman
Msg: 1402
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2008 6:32:15 PM
MG excellent posts, as always.

We should be focusing on the much harder drugs that lead to violence such as heroin and cocaine, which are far more addictive and dangerous than marijuana, which has some valid medical uses. Jail space should not be wasted on the occasional toker. It galls me that rapists get off in three years while potheads tie up that space that should keep the rapist there for the rest of its life. Someone who tokes on occasion is harmless compared to rapists or even users of hard drugs.
 designingwoman
Msg: 1409
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:43:55 PM
So, drunks who puke should be shunned too? Alcoholism is a health care issue, as is addiction to pot. Moderate users of alcohol and pot are no problem and do not belong in jail. People who have serious alcohol/drug problems belong in rehab, but they need to admit they have a problem in order to succeed at becoming sober/clean. Jail isn't the answer for someone smoking one joint a week. It's overkill!!

Prohibition didn't work back then when we outlawed alcohol. Organized crime got into it big time. We have not learned our lessons from history. If pot was legal, then there's one less outlet for the Mafia and other criminals. And, people who need to use marijuana to relieve the effects of chemotherapy should be able to do so. My Dad would be rolling over in his grave if he knew that medical marijuana was still illegal. He died of cancer and suffered in the last month of his life. My father was in favor of medical marijuana back in the late 70s and 80s. (He died in 1986).

As I've said before, child molesters, rapists and murderers are the ones who belong in jail, not the person who smokes an occasional joint. Now, if they were driving under the influence of pot or alcohol ( a legal substance BTW), then yes, I have a beef. But to me, someone who has a joint at home, and doesn't drive until the effects wear off should not be punished for doing the equivalent of having a glass of wine and a cigarette after dinner.

"Lighten up!" is what one of my old friends used to say.

For the record, I never have smoked marijuana but have been fortunate to not need it for medicine. I would refuse chemo unless I could toke to stop me from puking. Hopefully I'll never need it but if I ever do I hope that by that time pot is legal.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 1430
Posted: 2/4/2008 5:17:58 PM
Interesting Documentary that will change some of your opinions.

It is called, 'The Union, The Business of Getting High|

its an industry like no other and the government is cashing in, not protecting us.
 designingwoman
Msg: 1432
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 6:10:59 PM
Thank you Deadhead for your clear and concise posts. I especially agree with you that rapists and murderers should be in jail for the rest of their lives--and potheads should be left alone. As Montreal Guy said, we need to focus law enforcement toward the much stronger and addicting drugs like crystal meth and heroin which result in violent and dangerous behavior.

There are people who also need marijuana for medical purposes, and should be allowed to relieve their suffering in this way. I for one would flat out refuse to do chemo if I needed it unless I could have medical marijuana to prevent nausea and vomiting. I would rather die than put myself in a position of vomiting. That's one of the reasons why I drink very little. I refuse to ever experience a hangover. The result of smoking pot does not include vomiting. I know people who use pot, and they are fine people. They have told me that after smoking a joint, the high wears off without that nasty hangover one gets from a drinking binge. Frankly, I'd rather be in a roomful of potheads than people getting trashed on alcohol.

Prohibition did not work when they tried that so long ago. History is not on the side of people who want to lock up people for using alcohol or marijuana. As one poster said, in the Netherlands where pot is legal, the useage rate is LOWER, and law enforcement personnel can devote more time to getting violent criminals such as rapists and murderers off the streets.

I am appalled by one of the posters' remarks, and the hatred directed at people who smoke marijuana. While I don't smoke it myself, I don't have a problem with people using it in the privacy of their homes.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 1433
view profile
History
Zig Zag or Rizla?
Posted: 2/4/2008 6:41:20 PM

wow man........a wastoid..........farout...... police blotter.....????

Wow, man....you're "factoids" are more than "farout"....their ancient history....kinda like a "police blotter"
Hey "dude"....how many lights were you under today? I think you need some of the "au naturel"....you know....sunshine!

Hemp lasts longer than cotton.

Hemp produces the same amount of paper fiber as wood, but using 1/4 the area.

Hemp is easy and cheap to grow.

Hemp has 0.000000% THC.

Most mainstream media.....hemp = pot.

Who owns the media?

Connect the dots. . . . . . .

SteelCity1981
Msg: 1435
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 3:22:32 AM

I have put a lot of thought into it, and I really can't think of even one good reason...

There is your answer. Thinking clearly gets kind of hard when you are high.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 1436
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 12:22:25 AM
Prohibitionary laws are nearly always targeted at various minority groups. Cocaine (1914) and marijuana (1934) prohibition were aimed at blacks. Opium prohibition (1875) was aimed at Chinese immigrants.

Some of us at freestateproject.org are working hard in New Hampshire to decriminalize marijuana. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to release dangerous criminals from prison in order to make room for pot smokers. We make the case to residents and elected officials, and we've even pulled a lot of activist groups together that would have atrophied otherwise.

I have spent a lot of time in the State House testifying against bad bills. The point is that you have to have a lot of activists working full time to make a dent in the legal structure. Meanwhile, people are sitting in prison for possession of pot, guns, etc., and we're having to pay $60-80,000 a year in some states to keep them behind bars.
 designingwoman
Msg: 1437
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 4:28:08 PM
^^^Good for you maxx for your efforts to shift law enforcement priorities to those who REALLY need to be behind bars like rapists, murderers and child molesters rather than a pothead. It's a huge waste of taxpayers' money to have nonviolent people behind bars for smoking a joint. Violent criminals are released early and given the chance to reoffend (and ruin more people's lives) to make room for locking up potheads who are simply smoking a joint--hurting themselves maybe but not hurting others. More people's lives are ruined by violent acts than from smoking an occasional joint.

With that said, just as driving while drunk is a crime and should be because it kills so many people, people who are driving stoned should pay the price for doing so.

I don't think people who smoke an occasional joint at home are any different than myself, a person who enjoys an occasional glass of beer or wine but am careful to not drive shortly after having had that drink.
 mr.amoree
Msg: 1440
Posted: 3/20/2008 6:48:57 AM
it's a crime because it makes you think stupid thoughts and act out stupid ideas.
wait, that's what having sexy thoughts about women you can't have will do to you.
oh well, both are for those out of touch with reality.
smoke dope and you go to jail. ok with me. hope it stays that way.

rsx ms 1452, if you are so hopped up on doing drugs why don't you admit to doing illegal drugs on your profile where it asks that question? why do you lie and answer "no"?
yes, you should be ashamed to admit it. you are an advocate of illegal dope smoking according to your past comments. amazing!!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >